How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

I just turned 60 on my jugg and want to PVP. I'm wearing all 162 gear and my expertise rating is just barely over 1800. How do I get to 1900?
1) Check your PvE gear to make absolutely sure it's rating is 162, not 168 or some other combinations in there. It's easy to forget you put a 172 blue mod in a different piece of gear.

2) No PvE gear should ever contain +expertise item. This is a common mistake by putting a +41 expertise crystal in a weapon that has PvE mods.

3) When you go into a warzone, it will tell you which pieces of gear are below the recommended expertise. Look at that gear specifically in regards to points 1 and 2 above.

If you do these basics, and you purchase 1 or 2 PvP items, you should be around 1950 expertise very easily.

Also, IIRC, there is a big difference between purple 162s and green 162s. You want purple 162s, from the basic comms vendor. Green 162s will give you much lower stats than purple, IIRC, even though the non-bolster stats are identical.

You may want to double-check this (with the Warzone Bolster terminal near the Training Dummies) but I'm pretty sure they do bolster differently.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just turned 60 on my jugg and want to PVP. I'm wearing all 162 gear and my expertise rating is just barely over 1800. How do I get to 1900?

This issue will be your weapons/offhand... If you have full 162 weapons, it doesn't work...

There are a few ways to get it too work...

My favourite is...

+41 Power/Crit/enhancement crystal

162 hilt/barrel/Armor

148 mod

148 enhancement

This will give you full 2018 expertise, which I prefer over 1900 expertise...

Edited by Icykill_

Also, IIRC, there is a big difference between purple 162s and green 162s. You want purple 162s, from the basic comms vendor. Green 162s will give you much lower stats than purple, IIRC, even though the non-bolster stats are identical.

You may want to double-check this (with the Warzone Bolster terminal near the Training Dummies) but I'm pretty sure they do bolster differently.

Actually this is incorrect... The green 162s are exactly the same as the purple ones and bolster the same

This issue will be your weapons/offhand... If you have full 162 weapons, it doesn't work...

My favourite is...

162 hilt/barrel/Armor

148 mod

148 enhancement

Thank you. This is what my problem was and now it's fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
one poster said that the game will tell you if a pipiece of gear is not being bolstered to max expertise. Where is that functionality? I cant seem to find it. Currently wearing only 162 and below gear yet im sitting at 2009 exp. My hp is also only 37k As a dps guardian

one poster said that the game will tell you if a pipiece of gear is not being bolstered to max expertise. Where is that functionality? I cant seem to find it. Currently wearing only 162 and below gear yet im sitting at 2009 exp. My hp is also only 37k As a dps guardian

When you zone into a WZ a notification pops up that a certain piece of equip isn't bolstering correctly.

I have never seen this notification. Is it in the chat box or do i have to somehow enable it?

As far as I know it's only a one way street. You have to be over the item rating for it to show up.

Iirc, you can't use 162 purples in your hilt of off hand, but really if your EXP is over 1900, then don't sweat the minor differences...

As far as I know it's only a one way street. You have to be over the item rating for it to show up.

Iirc, you can't use 162 purples in your hilt of off hand, but really if your EXP is over 1900, then don't sweat the minor differences...

But how does it show up? is it a pop up message that says you are over geared, is it a little message in the chat box? Ive been trying to look for this alleged notification but i cant find it. Im currently bolster to 2009 expertise with pve gear and i cant seem to figure out where its coming from. Ive followed all the rating limitaitons but its still not 2018. I know it doesnt make much of a difference but i still would like to know what is happening.

Amazing research Randle, THANKS.

And I just KNEW IT: I'm keeping my 186 mainhand!

Speaking of which, and quoting Icykill above - thanks are due too - what is the "magic number" now, that 193 used to be before 3.0?

index 499?

My favourite is...

162 hilt/barrel/Armor

148 mod

148 enhancement (499 total)

So Randle you just said that a purple 162 won't work? Is there an embedded threshold for any individual modding "that's over the top" as opposed to the total of combined parts, like item level 69/63/61 (iirc) used to be?

Cause I'm itching to try a 186 hilt with perhaps a 186 enhancement and a lowbie 80-something mod. Probably losing a lot on the modding but I'm just curious about the resulting expertise....

I'm currently at 1780 expertise, which is low, because of :

- 186 saber

- old pve set headgear & legs (+8% masterstrike damage)

Everything else is fully augged dark reaver.

So I don't care staying in the 1800's as I find it's totally worth it, but still I'm curious to tinker around.

Mad props once again!

Edited by BenduKundalini

Amazing research Randle, THANKS.

And I just KNEW IT: I'm keeping my 186 mainhand!

Speaking of which, and quoting Icykill above - thanks are due too - what is the "magic number" now, that 193 used to be before 3.0?

index 499?

So Randle you just said that a purple 162 won't work? Is there an embedded threshold for any individual modding "that's over the top" as opposed to the total of combined parts, like item level 69/63/61 (iirc) used to be?

Cause I'm itching to try a 186 hilt with perhaps a 186 enhancement and a lowbie 80-something mod. Probably losing a lot on the modding but I'm just curious about the resulting expertise....

I'm currently at 1780 expertise, which is low, because of :

- 186 saber

- old pve set headgear & legs (+8% masterstrike damage)

Everything else is fully augged dark reaver.

So I don't care staying in the 1800's as I find it's totally worth it, but still I'm curious to tinker around.

Mad props once again!

It's acting more dynamic than it use to.. basically you can't do 3x162 purple, but you can get away with like 162 purple, 158x 2 purples iirc. It looks at each slot and weighs it accordingly so you can't go 186/186/80 and get max EXP on that item..

So, after much tinkering.

I was unable to obtain any good numbers with anything 162 purples. It tanked expertise no matter what, even with lowbie blues. I don't have green 162 at hand so couldn't test.

Speaking of lowbie blues I was astounded to find a level 33 saber gave me the most base damage! Lower secondary stats though.

In the end I equipped a saber with 2 x blue 148s and one purple 156 (enhancement, for tertiary stats).

Ditching my 186 MH after all lol!

BTW, I'm sitting at 1962 expertise now. And that's with two 162/186/186 pve pieces (for old pve set bonus). Fantastic!

Edited by BenduKundalini

So, after much tinkering.

I was unable to obtain any good numbers with anything 162 purples. It tanked expertise no matter what, even with lowbie blues. I don't have green 162 at hand so couldn't test.

Speaking of lowbie blues I was astounded to find a level 33 saber gave me the most base damage! Lower secondary stats though.

In the end I equipped a saber with 2 x blue 148s and one purple 156 (enhancement, for tertiary stats).

Ditching my 186 MH after all lol!

BTW, I'm sitting at 1962 expertise now. And that's with two 162/186/186 pve pieces (for old pve set bonus). Fantastic!

For regs, at least weapon based classes,

41 EXP crystal

186 Hilt PVE

174 PvP mod

174 PvP enh

is BIS....

:confused::confused::confused:

you can now mix pve and pvp pieces in one item???

This is the only exception. The issue is with weapon damage. Hits have native weapon damage attached. The 186 weapon damage is higher than 174 PvP (regardless of what bolster says). The reason you mix is because the EXP hit is sizeable, but by carrying EXP on the other slots, you overcome this. You still get an EXP nerf, but you get +100 or so damage on high level attacks. When I did the calc it was a 4% increase in attacks across the board...

This issue has been present since bolsters inception, and even though I explained to Tait why and how it was broke, they didn't comprehend that weapon damage bolster doesn't override native weapon damage on hilts. I have done any testing on this in awhile, but yea. I wouldn't bother getting a pvp weapon until the very last item.

This is the only exception. The issue is with weapon damage. Hits have native weapon damage attached. The 186 weapon damage is higher than 174 PvP (regardless of what bolster says). The reason you mix is because the EXP hit is sizeable, but by carrying EXP on the other slots, you overcome this. You still get an EXP nerf, but you get +100 or so damage on high level attacks. When I did the calc it was a 4% increase in attacks across the board...

This issue has been present since bolsters inception, and even though I explained to Tait why and how it was broke, they didn't comprehend that weapon damage bolster doesn't override native weapon damage on hilts. I have done any testing on this in awhile, but yea. I wouldn't bother getting a pvp weapon until the very last item.

Yeah, I got that 3 exp pieces were to compensate afterwards.

So you're saying the tooltip for weapon damage is incorrect? Based on parses I guess?

I tried your method and took my 186 hilt out of my pve saber and created a new one with 168 pvp mod + enh (no spare 174's available) and a +41 exp crystal. Tooltip damage was 1 point away from my lvl 33 saber, there were just a bunch of shield stats differing (+2% on the big one).

Total expertise was upper 1800's versus 1962 - (2% damage and 1% reduction 1% heal less) - so I did my evening warzones with the lowbie saber and it went swimmingly. I don't use a parser though nor do I practice at the dummy so I didn't notice anything special...

So your method would work with a bigger hilt, wouldn't it? All the way to 204?

+I'm now guessing you could do the above with the off-hand too? For much superior force/tech damage, at the expense of another 100 experise?

Lastly if this is the way to go why even take a pvp weapon, "last"? To avoid nasty whispers? Or for the new ranked where 2018 is obligatory to queue?

Thanks!

And gratz for reaching Tait with your research...

Edited by BenduKundalini

Hey mate... Thanks for testing the pve items above 162... As you know I never pve so I don't get a chance to pick them up and my usual ranked weapons are pretty good...

Just wondering if you've got any parse numbers on how you have your weapons setup... I use the dummy to get a base line before using actual pvp combat logs to upload into parse... This way it also gives me damage reduction and healing stats which the dummy can't give

If you have some numbers would you mind posting your average results as I am willing to spend some credits to buy the pve items from the GTN if there is a big enough difference

Edited by Icykill_

Yeah, I got that 3 exp pieces were to compensate afterwards.

So you're saying the tooltip for weapon damage is incorrect? Based on parses I guess?

I tried your method and took my 186 hilt out of my pve saber and created a new one with 168 pvp mod + enh (no spare 174's available) and a +41 exp crystal. Tooltip damage was 1 point away from my lvl 33 saber, there were just a bunch of shield stats differing (+2% on the big one).

Total expertise was upper 1800's versus 1962 - (2% damage and 1% reduction 1% heal less) - so I did my evening warzones with the lowbie saber and it went swimmingly. I don't use a parser though nor do I practice at the dummy so I didn't notice anything special...

So your method would work with a bigger hilt, wouldn't it? All the way to 204?

+I'm now guessing you could do the above with the off-hand too? For much superior force/tech damage, at the expense of another 100 experise?

Lastly if this is the way to go why even take a pvp weapon, "last"? To avoid nasty whispers? Or for the new ranked where 2018 is obligatory to queue?

Thanks!

And gratz for reaching Tait with your research...

I can confirm you can't do ranked with non pvp weapons... You must have 2018 expertise to queue

Edit: also remember that most pvpers, especially those from pvp guilds who seem to think they "know" everything will get upset with you going into any pvp without 2018 expertise...

They don't do any of this sort of testing and are unlikely to read this thread, even if you point them to it... I still run into "pvp" guild people who don't know how to achieve 1900-2018 expertise using pve gear... Pointing them to these threads results in abuse and L2P comments from most of them... Some listen, maybe 1 in 5, but they are mainly new pvpers or pve people... What amazes me the most are the ones from top pvp guilds, it seems their guild mates don't try to help or educate them...

So just stand firm with your decision... Ignore is a great tool... But if you are someone who would prefer not to have the grief, the easiest solution is to use 2018 expertise

Edited by Icykill_

• 4 weeks later...
What about 190-204 purples? Or blues, which are easier to get from Ziost (if I'm not mistaken)

Please explain what you mean?... If you are asking if it will effect expertise... Then it will reduce it... If you are asking about the BiS on weapons that Randle prefers, then you'll need him to answer... I personally don't advocate it

Please explain what you mean?... If you are asking if it will effect expertise... Then it will reduce it... If you are asking about the BiS on weapons that Randle prefers, then you'll need him to answer... I personally don't advocate it

I was merely asking whether someone have experimented with the hilts of higher grade, to see how much bonus damage will it give.

• 1 month later...