Inheritance Construction Kits items level up with character?

MrLeee

My question is this. Why give us an inheritance token for a blue quality mainhand weapon? By the time we get off of the first planet, we will have an orange quality, fully moddable mainhand weapon. Why would I want to trade that for a level 14 blue? If they had given us a token to redeem for any other slot, I would understand, but this is the one slot that they already ensure we have a better item for.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mailed "Inheritance Mainhand Weapon Construction Kit" to my low lvl13 smuggler but cant trade em in at my capital world trader . have no idea what to do with em

... confused. :jawa_confused:

stratch that worked it out :jawa_biggrin:

Edited by jolososs
updating

ugh, just get the 20/40 level pvp armour, pvp weapons every 4-6 levels and do a couple of ops and heroic quests as you level. ive 7 50s now and ive never had an issue with gear whilst leveling.

you'll be fine

as for heirlooms, theyd be sweet but might be overpowered in pvp as you level .... as wow found out.

no it would be like you like plain bacon cheeseburgers and they gave you a free plain burger... because you COULD use the gear fine... you just prefer and had access to better... again the gear is perfectly fine and level appropriate... it's just not the top of the line best of the best

and yes, whether the gift is crappy or not is relevant if the gift is free... it's like your grandma giving you socks for Christmas... the intent of giving a gift is what matters... do parents not teach kids this anymore?

Actually, it's more like, you like cheeseburgers with all the accouterments and they give you a free plain one. But yes, you put it mostly right.

Okay. Here's my POV. I finished CH 1 on my first character. Didn't have that much money, certainly not enough to keep my alts gear full upgraded. So I got this weapon for her at 14 (a double bladed LS). It was better than any of the lightsabers I could have gotten through comendations (which have level appropriate Blue mods in them) for 6 levels. That's six levels I didn't have to worry about getting a new lightsaber. It's not the best, but it's decent, good even.

Although I do disagree with the free gift statement. When a game (that you pay for) gives you something, it should be meaningful, and helpful (cause vanity pets are totally battle ready). And this it useful.

If this was a moddable weapon, people would just QQ because it's moddable, but it doesn't have an augment, so whats the point. And if it was moddable, there wouldn't be much of a point, because everything else out there is moddable as well.

You want it to level with your characters? That takes out the single biggest equipment mechanic in the game; Keeping your gear upgraded.

If it did level with your character, people would very probably whine because it would only have blue stats, not purple. And also, if it did level with your character, what would stop you from using it on the character you originally got it on? My knight could certainly use a LS that leveled with her. BW wanted this to be Legacy, meaning you use it on other characters, not the same ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously this is playing out exactly as Bioware intended, but the point many are trying to make is this: Bioware's intentions are ****.

Look around. Every server is dying. I will see 5-10 people on a planet at a time, at most. The game plays out like a single player game that many people happen to be playing at the same time.

These legacy items are just another example of how Bioware fails to grasp the mindset of the playerbase at large. We want to be rewarded for our HOURS of play... and if they introduce items labeled "legacy", it is an obvious and common notion that these items will grow with our characters, and once they have outlived their usefulness on said character, they can be passed on to new characters.

The idea of an item that levels with your character does not break the current rewards system, it usually means a character can effectively make it through the game with said item without worry of having to upgrade every five minutes of gaming in order to stay relavent. On WoW, the leader in MMO's for YEARS, these items were a step below blue level items of the same level, but since they leveled with the character, it was OK to be a step below items at that level, since you did not have to worry about ever replacing that item.

Make these legacy items on par with Blues of your current level, but not as strong as the best rewards from flashpoints and heroic quests, but have them level up with the character. This would be a suitable reward for being A) loyal to a dying game, and B) devoting countless hours of our lives to this game.

The expectations and subsequent hard feelings over these legacy items does not surprise me, nor should it surprise Bioware. These items are garbage.

In a week when Diablo III is released, this game will come another step closer to the grave, sadly. This game could be so epic in the hands of the right designers. :(

Edited by Wekeltes

Hey everyone, just a clarification - when you receive your Inheritance Construction Kit, you should mail it to the character in your Legacy that you'd like to give the weapon to. The in-game mail that accompanies the Construction Kit contains instructions. The character you mail it to can then redeem the Kit on Dromund Kaas or Coruscant to receive the item! You should not redeem the Kit on your main character, as you'll receive an item for that character's class.

At which point it will be useful for all of 5 levels, max?

Why bother?

I've taken to banking these just on the off chance that you'll actually make them useful (yet again, see WoW's implementation) in the future.

Edited by DarthTHC

1. If it leveled, it would screw over crafters. So it's a good thing it doesn't level.

2. If it was an orange item, it would just be another orange item that wasn't augmented.

3. If it WAS an orange item that was augmented, see #1.

4. Yeah, so you get an orange weapon by the time you get this. So what? From what I understand, it's likely to be better than any slotted orange item for 6 or so levels. Seems fairly nifty to me.

Yeah, they could have made it an orange item with above normal modifications (somehow). Would have been a marginal improvement over what we did get. (though an unneccessary improvement, since... well... we already DO have orange weapons by this point that we can go back to using once it's possible to mod them better than the legacy item)

1. If it leveled, it would screw over crafters. So it's a good thing it doesn't level.

2. If it was an orange item, it would just be another orange item that wasn't augmented.

3. If it WAS an orange item that was augmented, see #1.

4. Yeah, so you get an orange weapon by the time you get this. So what? From what I understand, it's likely to be better than any slotted orange item for 6 or so levels. Seems fairly nifty to me.

Yeah, they could have made it an orange item with above normal modifications (somehow). Would have been a marginal improvement over what we did get. (though an unneccessary improvement, since... well... we already DO have orange weapons by this point that we can go back to using once it's possible to mod them better than the legacy item)

Except if they made crafting useful by making mods and augments and enhancements and armoring ONLY obtainable from crafters, and they made the legacy / inheritance items orange and moddable with some other type of bonus but no augment slot, they'd be useful for the character's life AND it would help crafters.

The problems you state are not problems with making legacy/inheritance items useful. They're problems in a very poorly designed crafting system.

Except if they made crafting useful by making mods and augments and enhancements and armoring ONLY obtainable from crafters, and they made the legacy / inheritance items orange and moddable with some other type of bonus but no augment slot, they'd be useful for the character's life AND it would help crafters.

The problems you state are not problems with making legacy/inheritance items useful. They're problems in a very poorly designed crafting system.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

I received one of these items by doing companion missions. The character that received it is level 50, but the item it buys is level 14.. so I basically can't use it. There was no mail that accompanied the item, which required that I look around on the web for an answer as to a) what it is and b) what I do with it.

So I traveled to Coruscant from the fleet only to learn that it's a level 14 item that I wouldn't want to use in the first place.

I agree with everyone else. These items are utterly worthless and a waste of time. They should be improved so they do level with the character and can be modded, or they should just be removed entirely from the game.

The items are meant to be a boost in stats and dps at a really low level from where they should be.

The level 14 items have damage range that most custom level 24 items have, same with stat amount. They do not level with you but provide a major boost at the level of equip. Please understand a feature, how it works and it's intended use before complaining it was not what you made up in your head.

An example is this level 14 BoL saber http://www.torhead.com/item/2SmKUar/inquisitors-inheritance-lightsaber

And this level 24 custom saber with blue mods. http://www.torhead.com/item/7Zi0PPe/fatewalkers-lightsaber

While not exactly the same they are close and this is essentially a level 24 item to equip at 14. I don't know how many other ways I can explain this is a good thing.

Because the time it takes to level from 14 to 24 is a paltry amount of time. I was done with level 22 before I was halfway through my first planet on my trooper alt, about to pick up far better weapons for myself and my comp. Comparatively a weapon that lasts the time it takes to get from say, 35 to 45, would be far more useful and not feel so monumentally disappointing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey everyone, just a clarification - when you receive your Inheritance Construction Kit, you should mail it to the character in your Legacy that you'd like to give the weapon to. The in-game mail that accompanies the Construction Kit contains instructions. The character you mail it to can then redeem the Kit on Dromund Kaas or Coruscant to receive the item! You should not redeem the Kit on your main character, as you'll receive an item for that character's class.

Ah. Had the item in my inventory for quite a while now, wondering what to do with it. Now I know. Thanks.

I finally destroyed my inheritance kits. Their value is very very low. Even if you have an alt of the exact same level as the level 14 weapon, it's not that good. It isn't worth the trip to dromund kaas in my opinion. Inheritance kits are just confusing junk loot you can't sell to vendor.

If you tend to solo class content and are underleveled (i.e Balmorra at level 13) then they are quite useful. The legacy kits ironically are more useful for powerleveling (which would lead you to not need them after a while) than for most playstyles.

Still, custom legacy gear is sweet - fresh 50s in full campaign is fun.

• 1 month later...

IMO the current design for the Inheritance kits are a waste of time. They should either scale as you level since they do claim to be "a piece of powerful Inheritance equiptment" or atleast let us exchange them for the orange legacy gear.

As far as scaling, it doesn't need to scale as high as purple gear, but atleast as high as blue gear for the current level, otherwise it really makes no sense to keep going back to the capital city everytime you get a piece.

Like some poeple have mentioned, its a waste of bank slot currently, but I am keeping them in hopes that you change it to scale with my alts.

I have a bank tab full of inheritance and birthright kits, once I create a new toon, they get sent over and used, after leveling past the gear, they become vendor trash. So much for a useless legacy item, at the least the "kits" shouldn't be bound til opened....... Edited by TheShootist

I finally destroyed my inheritance kits. Their value is very very low. Even if you have an alt of the exact same level as the level 14 weapon, it's not that good. It isn't worth the trip to dromund kaas in my opinion. Inheritance kits are just confusing junk loot you can't sell to vendor.

Pretty much, that quote.

Not only are they utterly useless even compared to drops from questing in the game, but . . . hey . . . finally got my first level 50. Started some dailies, looked at the items you can get for the commendations . . . stopped doing dailies the same day. That's another waste of time for what you can spend the commendations on. I can even find better item mods in the GTN.

Pretty much, that quote.

Not only are they utterly useless even compared to drops from questing in the game, but . . . hey . . . finally got my first level 50. Started some dailies, looked at the items you can get for the commendations . . . stopped doing dailies the same day. That's another waste of time for what you can spend the commendations on. I can even find better item mods in the GTN.

One of the best end game relics are purchased from daily coms, not to mention crafting schematics.........oh and the weekly Black Hole coms you can aquire.

Edited by TheShootist

• 1 month later...