Waiting in Queue - Wasting my life

Atonu

Changing sides. I sometimes do that when I have the feeling I (or we) discouraged the opposite pilots too much.

You also can wait on Biowars "better than crossrealm" solution that will be comming soon-ish (maybe) and hope it will help.

Edited by Danalon

besides starting over on another server, is there anything you can do about the horrid queue time for pvp gsf?

Groups get priority Queue ing which means if 8 players in groups are queue and you are solo it's going to skip you for that game. Swaping factions can help depends on balance on your server.

If you are Solo Queuing trying typing "Denon mesas shipyard" into the player search bar, this will tell you if there are games going on at the moment. You can also keep checking to see if it skipped you.

I'm just curious, but what server are you on? A few servers have complained about low GSF populations in the past, I can let you know if you are on one of them.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the great ideas -much appreciated! I like GSF a lot, even though I'm a noob and pretty terrible.

I'm on Shadowlands.

This may be a result of the matchmaking system (It works?!?! :eek:). How many matches have you played there? We've been on Shadowlands a lot and have had excellent queue times. I believe matchmaker prevents players under a certain amount of games (10 maybe?) from queuing into 12v12 matches which would mean that your rotation would get skipped if there are 24 people queuing, in addition to maybe other limiting factors.

Drako's right though - type /who, press enter, and type denon mesas shipyards to see who's currently playing. The time of day that you're queuing is important too. so keep that in mind. Good Luck!

Edited by SammyGStatus

In general, you should queue with other people. The matchmaker will prioritize starting matches rather than working on a first-in first-out system, so it will preferentially match groups in order to get a game going faster. So, even if they aren't friends or aces, being in a group will improve your gsf experience.

I would suggest whispering some of the better pilots you meet in match to see if they are continuing to play and want to group. Also, type /cjoin gsf on either faction to join the custom gsf chat. If you are on Imperial side, you can group with me (Xi'ao) if I have space (and I can ever get out of my stronghold).

besides starting over on another server, is there anything you can do about the horrid queue time for pvp gsf?

Have you heard of Star Conflict? It's literally the same game, but with tiered matchmaking, pve, a playerbase 1000x larger than GSF, more varied ships and components, and very short queue times.

Like GSF, Star Conflict is pay-to-win, and gear > skill, and I wouldn't even really call it a better game, but it's definitely the lesser of two evils.

Like GSF, Star Conflict is pay-to-win, and gear > skill, and I wouldn't even really call it a better game, but it's definitely the lesser of two evils.

GSF is neither pay-to-win nor is it gear>skill (although there are some exceptions to the gear>skill, but usually a skilled pilot can deal with almost any situation even if his ships only have ~30-50k requisition spent in them).

Edited by Danalon

GSF is neither pay-to-win nor is it gear>skill (although there are some exceptions to the gear>skill, but usually a skilled pilot can deal with almost any situation even if his ships only have ~30-50k requisition spent in them).

We're going to have to agree to disagree. But I'm sure the 3 dozen or so players who swear by GSF will back you up. Unfortunately, the 1-and-a-half million SWTOR players who agree with me don't read this subforum.

Pay to win would be if your respawns per game were limited and you needed to buy more respawns to win a match.

Edit: Another example of pay to win would be if there was an additional tier for any component or an additional component per slot that you can't get if you're not paying.

GSF is what should be called "pay for convenience". Sure, you level up faster etc but in the end it doesn't matter if you have 1m or only 500k ship requisition that you can't spend on a ship anymore.

Edit: As for the gear vs skill debate: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=755330

You can't win every game with just stock ships but you still can contribute to a victory.

Edited by Danalon

'Pay for win earlier and more often' is a kind of 'pay to win'. Sure, it doesn't matter much with mastered ship, and does not matter at all with all ships completed, but before that, how much matches will you have to play? Few hundreds per a ship...

And yes, you can contribute in nearly any game with stock ship (unless facing a mastered ships double premade... :p). Gear itself does not win a battle... but I bet it helps :)

Edited by Bolo_Yeung

Sigh... Seeing your posts, Schopenhauer would be proud.

Saving myself extended argument, I will say that the players with more time will still have to go trough first matches Their gear curve will go faster but won't change shape - they will still lose few matches.

Subscribers/P2Pass players will have their gear curve go upwards faster.... thats the difference.

Time is a resource, money is a resource.

You can gear up faster (you may need more matches but still, you can be faster) as f2p with lots of time than someone who pays for it but has less time to play - therefore it's not pay to win.

Edit: By the way, the most effective way of getting requisition are dailies and weeklies. I play GSF on a lot of characters and some of them gain ~16k req per daily and 50k+ per weekly (most only gain ~9k per daily and ~27k per weekly). If you really want to maximize your requisition gain per game (and that's what you're talking about) you should play a maximum of 2 games per day or 7 games per week.

Edited by Danalon

If you really want to maximize your requisition gain per game (and that's what you're talking about) you should play a maximum of 2 games per day or 7 games per week.

Just to point out that if you do the daily every day, the max games would be 14/week. IE - Still do dailies even after you get the weeky. And by percentage, the dailies will net you a lot more than the weeklies ever will.

Even if you win, the 4 dailies will net you 3752 (4x938) ship req for each ship you've got in your hangar. The other 3 dailies get you another 2814 (6566 total). The weekly reward is 3125, and you get it along the way anyway. So absolutely, the single most time efficient way to level up a hangar and ship is to just do the daily every day. You get the weekly along the way, and you're not flying a ship unless you're getting double req for it. If you just fly a single ship, and are able to max out the bonus req in a single match if you win, you'll end up getting something like:

(1800-2200** + 938) * 7 + 3125 = ~24,000 ship req on the ship you're working on. So like 6 weeks for mastery at about an hour a day spent flying and in queue, which should really only be something like 24-28 hours in the cockpit.

It's really more about the minimums, anyway. To maximize the req you get, you should absolutely never fly fewer than 7 games/week, or 1 win/day.

**I chose the 1800-2200 as a kind of baseline. If you're hitting the full bonus, you shouldn't ever get much less than 1800 req, and I'm guessing 2200 is probably close to average for me on a win with full bonus, but I've seen some scores in the 2600+ range, so that number probably has little place to go but up, especially if you have to fly multiple games to get your daily.

EDIT - I'm a subscriber, so using subscriber numbers...

Edited by nyghtrunner

Red Eclipse has virtually no waiting 14 hours a day.

Otherwise:

Fullscreen Windowed and background sound, I am working in the waiting time with the Forum, Facebook, Twitter, drinking Coffee, eating Food, cleaning my bathroom ...

I hear it in the whole apartment if anything pops up.

Edited by Magira

Waiting in Queue - Wasting my life

Play Monty Python's Completre Waste Of Time instead - if you can get it (via Ebay or so).

Besides, I'm currently reading Beowulf, and I must applaud to your headline : It's an wonderfiul alliterative headline !

Waiting is wasting - a wonderful time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliterative_verse