Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Wild and Crazy Idea] Flatten the upgrade tiers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
[Wild and Crazy Idea] Flatten the upgrade tiers?

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
04.25.2014 , 11:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
1. That's why it's a Wild and Crazy IdeaŽ.
2. I counter thusly.
re 2: no **** you can easily kill a Titan, that's why I said Eagle. That some higher-level ships had crippling flaws do to Freelancer's broken AOE damage physics isn't relevant.

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
04.25.2014 , 11:28 AM | #12
Progression in PvP is a dumb idea and ideally requisition wouldn't exist and all ships and components would be fully unlocked. Sadly, typical MMO players have terrible preferences for bad game design so we have to live with it.

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.25.2014 , 11:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
To be fair, it IS a weekday. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be ourselves - I've been a desk jockey before.

I'm surprised the suicide rate isn't much, much higher among cubicle dwellers and other random 9-5ers. Especially involving customer service. -bp
I'll grant that, it's obviously not going to be the best time to play but DEAD ?

If the devs won't/can't cross server queue they need to scale down the match size.

As things stand, they are playing the lets ignore the problems maybe the players will stick around a little longer game. Sorry seen that too many times.

DamascusAdontise's Avatar


DamascusAdontise
04.25.2014 , 11:33 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Progression in PvP is a dumb idea and ideally requisition wouldn't exist and all ships and components would be fully unlocked. Sadly, typical MMO players have terrible preferences for bad game design so we have to live with it.
So just a question for you: In your opinion every ship, weapon, and component should be available from the start? There should be no upgrades for components, and everything is exactly the same at the start as at the highest level of competition?

In ground PvP should there be no PvP gear? Everyone gets the same base stats + whatever their class provides and thats it? IMO thats what no progression means, nothing to achieve, buy, unlock, or gain.

I could probably play a game like this, but lets be honest, how many games are like this. Now how many successful games?
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.25.2014 , 11:34 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Progression in PvP is a dumb idea and ideally requisition wouldn't exist and all ships and components would be fully unlocked. Sadly, typical MMO players have terrible preferences for bad game design so we have to live with it.
This !!!
But really, living with it, does not seem to be an option

Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
So just a question for you: In your opinion every ship, weapon, and component should be available from the start? There should be no upgrades for components, and everything is exactly the same at the start as at the highest level of competition?

In ground PvP should there be no PvP gear? Everyone gets the same base stats + whatever their class provides and thats it? IMO thats what no progression means, nothing to achieve, buy, unlock, or gain.

I could probably play a game like this, but lets be honest, how many games are like this. Now how many successful games?
There's an enormous number of successful games exactly like this. Matter of fact most people outside of the very small RPG community, expect games to work that way. You don't get more better pieces because you have been playing longer. Matter of fact if you look at wildly successful games like Golf or Chess, the better players are expected to give up an advantage. (I know wild concept)

DamascusAdontise's Avatar


DamascusAdontise
04.25.2014 , 11:42 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
This !!!

There's an enormous number of successful games exactly like this. Matter of fact most people outside of the very small RPG community, expect games to work that way. You don't get more better pieces because you have been playing longer. Matter of fact if you look at wildly successful games like Golf or Chess, the better players are expected to give up an advantage. (I know wild concept)
Name one modern successful MMORPG thats like this, seriously im curious. Every modern FPS or MMORPG I have ever played has had progression. I have heard of one or two that didn't, but those games are now dead / unplayed / or played VERY little
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

zaskar's Avatar


zaskar
04.25.2014 , 11:53 AM | #17
This was designed for f2p, the bread and butter is ship to fleet req transfers, the logical way to earn the most money is to have things to buy.

There is only one way to fix GSF, train new pilots right.

Armonddd's Avatar


Armonddd
04.25.2014 , 12:10 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
I'll grant that, it's obviously not going to be the best time to play but DEAD ?
I just logged on my pub and I see two matches going. That's not bad at all.

(Hint: /who kuat lost denon)
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.25.2014 , 12:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
Name one modern successful MMORPG thats like this, seriously im curious. Every modern FPS or MMORPG I have ever played has had progression. I have heard of one or two that didn't, but those games are now dead / unplayed / or played VERY little
GSF is an RPG ?

But there is the whole series of quake games, The team fortress games where all you get are different weapons through unlocks. Really if you take away wow the success of these type of games dwarfs MMORPGs.

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
04.25.2014 , 12:16 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
So just a question for you: In your opinion every ship, weapon, and component should be available from the start? There should be no upgrades for components, and everything is exactly the same at the start as at the highest level of competition?
Yes.

Quote:
In ground PvP should there be no PvP gear? Everyone gets the same base stats + whatever their class provides and thats it?
Yes.

Quote:
I could probably play a game like this, but lets be honest, how many games are like this. Now how many successful games?
Have you ever played a first person shooter that wasn't made in the past five years? Or any RTS ever? Or Mario Kart or SSB or... (insert very, very long list of games)?

Or, you know, chess?