Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Scouts] Missile Choice Debate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
[Scouts] Missile Choice Debate

Vember
12.12.2013 , 10:22 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Dustotepp View Post
You aren't looking at Rocket Pods at all?

I *love* rocket pods. I was actually 3 tiers into clusters and have decided to switch back to the rockets. Statwise, they aren't bad: Decent damage, long range, 20% shield piercing before upgrades. The best thing about them though is how fast they are. Combine that with how many you carry (32 without crew upgrades), and you can just toss them out whenever you think you might hit. Obviously, no lock-on means they are hard to hit moving targets at range, but at close range they are fast enough that if you are firing blasters at the same time and are on target, you can hit them with rockets too. If you get into a head-to-head chicken style fight, dropping rockets just before you pass your opponent works surprisingly well.

That is all dogfighting though, and where rocket pods really shine is against objectives. Being able to fire 3 rockets in 2 seconds goes through turrets tremendously fast.
This, rocket pods are my favorite missile load out

Icebergy
12.12.2013 , 12:57 PM | #12
Cluster is horrible. You should be using Sabotage or Rocket Pods depending on your play style.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

sentawan
12.12.2013 , 01:25 PM | #13
I have sabotage on one scout and clusters on the other. Both are tier 4.

I prefer the faster added dps of the cluster and look forward to finally unlocking tier 5 30% boost. With my quad lasers (T5 shield damage), I tear through the shields as the cluster is charging and let it go for quick dps. Since I spend most of my time weaving satellites, that is the best combo for me.

The sabotage probe is the better overall missile, especially for rangier solo kills and to lock down an enemy so others can focus fire. It takes too long to charge on satellites if you are keeping the node from being captured. There is also the problem that if you do not hit an enemy with lasers, they cannot hit "r" to target you. So, if you want to ensure that they don't turn on you while getting a lock... you have to waste time not dps'n with lasers until the probe is released. Then you are most likely guaranteed a kill. Add the fact that speed scouts lack firepower, and this increases the already long amount of time it takes to kill someone. Of course, if they are targeting someone else, you can fire lasers while locking the probe, and it is much quicker.

If I used my scout to chase gunships, I would choose sabotage probe. Since I use my scout to capture and hold nodes, I use cluster. I couldn't hit anything with rocket pods, so I have no opinion on those.

reclipsed
12.12.2013 , 02:17 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Dustotepp View Post
You aren't looking at Rocket Pods at all?

I *love* rocket pods. I was actually 3 tiers into clusters and have decided to switch back to the rockets. Statwise, they aren't bad: Decent damage, long range, 20% shield piercing before upgrades. The best thing about them though is how fast they are. Combine that with how many you carry (32 without crew upgrades), and you can just toss them out whenever you think you might hit. Obviously, no lock-on means they are hard to hit moving targets at range, but at close range they are fast enough that if you are firing blasters at the same time and are on target, you can hit them with rockets too. If you get into a head-to-head chicken style fight, dropping rockets just before you pass your opponent works surprisingly well.

That is all dogfighting though, and where rocket pods really shine is against objectives. Being able to fire 3 rockets in 2 seconds goes through turrets tremendously fast.

Agree about Rocket Pods. They are great because they don't alarm your target with bells and whistles making them freak out with their engine specials. If you're close enough to hit with primary, you're close enough to blast them with Pods.
I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Zaxem
12.12.2013 , 02:49 PM | #15
i love my cluster missles fast lock on time decent damage + i put a dot on them when it hits personally if you are gonna go the sabotage probe route i would only do it with the default scout the blackbolt or w/e the pub version is called
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder