About Star Wars: X-wing vs Tie-fighter...

Wolfninjajedi

Courtesy of XvT's predecessor, "TIE Fighter":

FYI, in 1999, Lucasarts released the "X-Wing Collectors Series," which had the complete X-Wing (XW), TIE Fighter games (TF), along with their expansions. It also contained the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (XvT) game, and was multiplayer back in the day. However, it does not come XvT's expansion, "Balance of Power."

The last game of the X-Wing series, X-Wing: Alliance (XWA / 1998), was not with this pack also, since it originally was released just a year prior to this pack.

The main thing with the versions of X-Wing, TIE Fighter titles with the XWCS pack, is that they've been implemented in the engine using XvT's engine. FYI, X-Wing came first, then TIE Fighter, then X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, and then X-Wing: Alliance. The first 2 titles were DOS-based games.

For you SW EU fans, the TIE Fighter game has the first scene/cutscene ever showing Vice, then Grand Admiral Thrawn, whom you fly for. There's even a segment where you fly as Darth Vader's wingman and tear some SERIOUS A** :cool:

I still adore all the X-Wing games. They and along with the Freespace game series are still the epitome of what space combat games are. I love TIE Fighter the most because of the immersion of being an Imperial Navy TIE pilot, the totally different theme of flying for the Empire, and the fact that you start out flying in unshielded TIE Fighters and TIE Bombers. The campaign had a great back and forth feel.

REAL starfighter pilots became good in unshielded craft :cool:

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter? That one I poured the most amount of hours in. Ridiculous hours, ridiculous stats kept for singleplayer and online back in the mid-late 90s.

X-Wing: Alliance I still loved because it, technically, was the the highpoint of the series. Fans of this game back then were hoping for an Imperial expansion/sequel, just like how TIE Fighter came out after X-Wing in the early-mid 90s. But it never came, and XWA was the last of the great game series. If you have XWA, be sure to check out X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project.

Not sure how these titles run now with current PCs & OS. But if you can get them to run, you can experience and see what still is the epitome of Star Wars space combat gaming. Campaign storylines, military-themed briefings (especially Imperial), a wide variety of spacecraft, ships of varying sizes, stations, and even civillian spacecraft. A chance to fly classic SW ships like the X-Wing, as well as stuff from the EU. A chance to see early game versions of ships like the Carrack Light Cruiser, Lancer Frigates. And of course, to fly a Star Wars space game with freedom of flight and direction, without the limitations of flying in a "bubble" that forces you back or something, like some other Star Wars games that I won't mention.

I still can't believe Lucasarts dropped the ball and discontinued the X-Wing series. But then again, Lucasarts went into the mode of "Prequel Only Games" for a while after TPM came out...

I love x-wing vs tie fighter ;D. I played this to death back in the day. The space combat in swtor is so bad it makes me sad doing swtor space missions, hard to think they both made by Lucasarts. Swtor should of been more like this amazing game.

I love x-wing vs tie fighter ;D. I played this to death back in the day. The space combat in swtor is so bad it makes me sad doing swtor space missions, hard to think they both made by Lucasarts. Swtor should of been more like this amazing game.

Lucasarts holds the license and published the games, though EA was the publisher for SWTOR. But the actual developers for all the X-Wing games was Lawrence Holland's "Totally Games." Lucasarts never did do the development.

X-Wing means a lot to me. It's the game that, essentially, made me a PC gamer. It was also my first introduction to the Star Wars universe, before I even watched the movies.

TIE Fighter? Was even better. One of the best games of its era.

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter...OK, I'll have to agree to disagree with others on this one. I was immensely disappointed with it. Felt it lacked the atmosphere of the first two.

Never got to play X-Wing: Alliance, but I'm still holding out hope someday...

Tie Fighter is my all time greatest game! What I would not give for an updated version with a few new levels.

Just please keep the consle gamers away from it!

This.

TIE Fighter is still my all time favourite game, and I would lvoe to see TOR's space combat developed into something like this.

TIE Fighter is still my all time favourite game, and I would lvoe to see TOR's space combat developed into something like this.

DITTO !!! XvTIE will work in Win7 (-64 anyway), but if you're using a monitor more than about 19", you're going to hate the graphics...

• 11 months later...

God Tie fighter. minute i got the tie avenger, i was IN LOVE.

i miss those games, bout played them till my old 386sx fell apart.

i WISH that SWTOR had ship combat like TIE or X-wing games. Put this game way over the top.

Edited by TalonVII

I have X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance in virtually perfect condition - there is probably some sort of program to install to recreate Windows 95-98 to run it, but I know it's flat out impossible to try to run it on modern systems otherwise.

Otherwise I'd be playing those games again non-stop like I did in the 90's. :(

Edited by Eillack