Grade 7 Parts on Cartel Market: Greed before Crafters

SCHodge

Bioware,

As a subscriber from the beginning, it is extremely poor form of you to release schematics to the community and then turn around and sell the finished item on the Cartel Market, particularly when the schematics in question are costly to obtain in terms of in-game time. This is exactly the sort of short-sighted P2W behavior we were promised we would not see, and it only took two patches to appear.

You can try to micromonetize everything in sight if you want, but you'll destroy the game in the process. Something about geese, golden eggs, and the inability to procure an infinity of said eggs via vivisection.

Disgruntled Long-Time Subscriber/Undertapped Monetization Opportunity

Bioware,

As a subscriber from the beginning, it is extremely poor form of you to release schematics to the community and then turn around and sell the finished item on the Cartel Market, particularly when the schematics in question are costly to obtain in terms of in-game time. This is exactly the sort of short-sighted P2W behavior we were promised we would not see, and it only took two patches to appear.

You can try to micromonetize everything in sight if you want, but you'll destroy the game in the process. Something about geese, golden eggs, and the inability to procure an infinity of said eggs via vivisection.

hmm, this is definitely unfair to crafters, I see less of an incentive to grind for the schems now. Though, for 1300 cartel coins for the full set per toon, it's a pretty steep price to pay with RL money. Then again, that is the idea behind "Pay" to win, so I guess we'll see how the market is for these in the coming weeks. I have been rather surprised by how much RL money people have spent on stuff though, several of my guildies have dropped cash on cartel coins like it's candy and they're subs too. Bioware must be making a ton of money since the F2P launch, or EA, rather.

I was really looking forward to space missions, but with cybertech I was looking at something like 350 dailies for the schematic and item from daily vendor, 300k from the credits starship vendor for another piece and a staggering amount of fleet comms to get remaining pieces.

I thought the cartel market with its many adaptive sets and end game crystals for level 10s will kill off quite a bit of demand for craftable items. Disappointing this wasn't better balanced.

Give it time to cool down, the parts are getting sold on the gtn right now for insane prices. I bought a full set last night at 150k per piece. Once the rush dies down the prices will be more reasonable and then the parts will probably be profitable. There are plenty of people who will not purchase things from the cartel market and instead spend credits on the gtn. Edited by nbayer

Give it time to cool down, the parts are getting sold on the gtn right now for insane prices. I bought a full set last night at 150k per piece. Once the rush dies down the prices will be more reasonable and then the parts will probably be profitable. There are plenty of people who will not purchase things from the cartel market and instead spend credits on the gtn.

No it won't die down. It'll remain a fact that they can always make money by selling those parts bought from market. Last I've checked there was steady supply of parts at 150% of price of single stabilizer. For people that don't have them(or other mats) just laying around or actively sell them, it'll never be good idea to buy those parts from crafters rather than GTN. Prices will go up, but never above cost of materials, making whole schematic useless.

No it won't die down. It'll remain a fact that they can always make money by selling those parts bought from market. Last I've checked there was steady supply of parts at 150% of price of single stabilizer. For people that don't have them(or other mats) just laying around or actively sell them, it'll never be good idea to buy those parts from crafters rather than GTN. Prices will go up, but never above cost of materials, making whole schematic useless.

Perhaps, if people are just trying to generate credits from the cartel market then are the ship parts the best CC to credit ratio? I don't personally know as I have never looked into that.

I would imagine the price is at more risk from space botters, they will be able to generate fleet comms pretty quickly and then just buy the piece from the vendor and post it on the gtn.

All my alts have all the crafting and gathering skills maxxed, still bought the CM parts though. If I can ever get the right schematic to the right crafter and get a successful re or rare loot roll, all for an acceptable amount of time and credits, then sure I'll craft it. As it stands I feel I'm the unluckiest person in the world when it comes to crafting rolls, so I will buy to save time, credits and frustration. I pretty much craft for my alts and sell excess or unwanted mats if I need a few creds. I'm not looking to gouge the playerbase for credits, i do dailies for cash.

LOL this is the biggest disgrace I have ever seen in this game yet... Not only is 1300 CC not expensive (I spend more money on coffee and cigarettes every day) but the schematics are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced as are the ship parts themselves from the vendor.

First off you need to give everyone who bought a schematic from the vendor yesterday a full refund... Why the **** would anyone put up 4 stabilizers when they can buy the final part for 150k ??? And since there's no point in crafting them you should just take the schematic out of the game entirely. And those people who bought them already also deserve an apology.

I agree that in the scheme of things this does not greatly affect a p2w paradigm, since the weekly rewards from the missions are so terrible... 2 BH comms? really? you can get like 65 just from doing the weeklys and another 45 or so from dailies so another 10 wont make a huge difference but really that's not the point. The point is that you dare to tout this as a "Cybertech" thing when it clearly couldn't be remotely construed as a way for cybertechs to make money. I'm just waiting for the next impatient idiot to come along and post 10 pages of ship parts for 50k a piece like they were doing with the cartel armors last month. And while it may not make a huge difference it is stil a way for people to pay to get better gear which you said would not be happening... Whats next? Dread Guard comms available from the cartel market? You have to be able to see where this is going?

This is nothing more than a bad joke and a huge insult to all of us who love this game and don't want to see it destroyed by corporate greed. Keep the cartel market as it should be - vanity items that are cool but worthless as far as providing an advantage over others via stats and gear. **** if you want to make some money offer us some real speeders that actually go 110% faster that our normal speed (not our in combat speed) or legacy unlocks for QT / Fleet pass CDs (significant ones, not the laughable ones currently in game)... I mean seriously... Why the **** should the emperor's wrath have to wait just as long for a shuttle as a level 1 slave? Shouldn't VIPs get priority in the SW universe?

Edited by -Damask-

I was really excited at the idea of selling Grade 7 spaceship parts, especially close to the release of 1.6 and the initial buyers enthusiasm that the new space missions would bring to the GTN.

I was very disappointed to see the gear in the Cartel market. You have:

1. People with real world $$ that want to run the new space missions get them from the Cartel Market.

2. People who want to work the system by buying ship parts and selling them on the GTN, depressing prices.

Currently, the new gear is being sold for less than the materials cost.

If they HAD to put the space parts in the Cartel Market, couldn't they at LEAST have made them bound and not sellable? This would prevent the people spending $$ to tip the market over.

Edited by Khevar

I am completely disgusted that this happened. I AM COMPLETELY DISGUSTED!!!!

There are many players who enjoy crafting and they just offered us a delicious steak and swapped it for a steaming pile of bantha fodder. Nice bait and switch...

A suggestion for the future - if you want to sell the items for cash, put the items in the Cartel market 6 weeks after the schematics are released.

A suggestion for the future - if you want to sell the items for cash, put the items in the Cartel market 6 weeks after the schematics are released.

OR,

Six weeks from now pull the spaceship parts from the Cartel Market! Make 'em come to us, I say.

:)

yeah most people don't have 3,000 fleet comms lying around (for each character!) to get the ship upgrades.

and stabilizers to craft? really? i paid real money for the new upgrades via the Cartel Market simply because doing it via crafting and Fleet comms would have taken me probably 2 months and over a million credits.

sooooo not worth it.

In the continuing saga, some individual purchased 10 complete sets of Grade 7 equipment, I guessing for about $80 worth of Cartel coins.

He then proceeded to list all 90 pieces of equipment at once on the GTN for about 100k each.

Any ship parts crafters who spent time preparing for 1.6 by grinding commendations to get schematics and materials are out of a job.

Bioware,

Is it really a surprise that EA/Bioware would put their profits above your in game ones? Frankly, the impact to crafters was nothing compared to what they've already made and will make by doing what they did. Expect more of the same in the future, not less.

Don't look at this in a bad way guys. Look at it as I do. BW just saved me a month and a half of subscription time on grinding out all the Commendations to purchase all of these parts. So I say thank you BW for saving me money. You just shorted yourself almost 2 months of my subscription with this little gimmick.

I purchased each part from some guy in Gen Chat for 100k each. Full ship upgrades, didn't have to grind out 2 months of Commendations, didn't have to spend my own real money for Cartel Coins to get them, I spent in game currency, which in theory I paid nothing for them. Thanks BW!

Perhaps, if people are just trying to generate credits from the cartel market then are the ship parts the best CC to credit ratio? I don't personally know as I have never looked into that.

Probably not the best direct CC to Credit, since other items will sell for millions. But, definitely the best way to go about it, since you can buy the ship upgrades specifically without relying on RNG and Cartel Packs for the higher value items.

Actually by allowing them to be obtained without RNG, and without making them BoP, it's a pretty good credit farm for people who can afford to turn real money into game money.

To sum up: "Crafters' disappointed that they can't satisfy their greed because of other people's greed.

Wow, do you really believe this?

What an amazingly short-sighted view.

When the crafted components were added in 1.6, they require a ton of commendations to get the schematics. This means grinding grinding grinding. Once you've managed to unlock the schems, they require materials that you have to grind more time for.

If the "rich people glutting the market" is an intended mechanism, the schematics should be cheaper, and require fewer materials.

Edit: And by rich I mean real world $$

Edited by Khevar

I was annoyed they put them on the cartel market as I had grinded to get the items and schems in time for patch day. It took another day to get the last bit. I was even more annoyed when a guilie poopooed my effort by going on about P2W. Which this is.

hmm, this is definitely unfair to crafters, I see less of an incentive to grind for the schems now. Though, for 1300 cartel coins for the full set per toon, it's a pretty steep price to pay with RL money. Then again, that is the idea behind "Pay" to win, so I guess we'll see how the market is for these in the coming weeks. I have been rather surprised by how much RL money people have spent on stuff though, several of my guildies have dropped cash on cartel coins like it's candy and they're subs too. Bioware must be making a ton of money since the F2P launch, or EA, rather.

You mean the crafters actually crafted?? wow, unless it was on every other server except mine?.......though i agree, it is taking the pee.

Yes.

(message too short)

Are you a complete failure as a crafter and have to take it out on others?

Do you have no idea how to sell anything on the GTN?

Do you hope the communists take over the GTN and dole out the contents to the players for free?

Off course thats how Free to play works. it is intended to work that way. Its a way to capitalize on the product.

Not giving up on it. To be honest i was suprised to see this game released without F2P model.

Edited by Spartanik