No Forum Search & No Server Forums

murkin

*** is wrong with you Bioware?

Ok, we all understand we do not have server forums right now. Which really hinders servers from building strong community.

But.

We also do not have one important function that all forums need. Search.

Who is running the ship here? What moron could you possibly have locked up back there in some office claiming the title of "Community Manager".

I am totally on your side.... The first thing every game company learns is the customers a king. The most important thing every MMO company learns is the community is king without community the game fails. but community isn't just there they need ways to communicate like chat forums mails etc.

A forum is only usefull if you find specific topics... so why not just shut down the forum completly ?

hell i am working in a MMO company and i can tell you that if we had a php programmer who couldn't fix a search engine for a website in 1-2 days he would be fired immedately...

very disappointing Bioware....

We are all sad about these two items. But being insulting is likely to get your thread locked.

Sad faces, everywhere. These topics have been beaten to death and so far BW is not inclined to budge. Not sure what happened to the search function. Supposedly it was disabled due to placing too large a load on the site server or some such.

At first I thought that I was stupid for not being able to find a search function. It didn't even occur to me that there wasn't one. Any explanation on this? I'm sure there is a duplicate topic, but unfortunately, I couldn't search for it.

We are all sad about these two items. But being insulting is likely to get your thread locked.

Sad faces, everywhere. These topics have been beaten to death and so far BW is not inclined to budge. Not sure what happened to the search function. Supposedly it was disabled due to placing too large a load on the site server or some such.

I had no idea this topic was beaten to death because I CANT SEARCH FOR IT TO FIND OUT. It is absolutely unacceptable to not have a search feature. I am currently having issues with being stuck on Kaas City and have no way of getting off. My fleet pass is down and I was stuck in a bugged phase. I cant find out if other people have had this problem, and I can't search for help on this topic. FAIL.

I find it ironic that it was disabled due to load on the server... Doesn't that tell them something?

You try to use their "Guild" section and it's a cluster of guilds on every server trying to recruit. Imagine sifting through all those manually to look for a guild on your server. I tried, I think I got to page 3 and gave up. Most threads don't have what server their on for the topic which makes it even more difficult.

We are forced to spread out over several different forums which DO have "server forums" but since the community was forced to make them there's multiple websites. With that, it makes all those forums half dead with no activity since the community got spread out.

I commend whoever took the initiative to make a forum for this but without Bioware making their forum actually usuable it's a losing battle.

Out of all the things Bioware enhanced or used for SWTOR, they seemed to have forgotten about one of the most important things... Community.

/endrant lol

server forums is like MSG inside a birthday cake.

you need that flavour to make it tastes sweet.

also its where we can trash talk to each other about warzone games, tickling our enemies with sleepless nights thinking of revenge.

its where our blood can boil and our testosterone bounce.

..... And What about Server Forums or finding people to group with a lot easier??

if they carry on and DONT implement this then the servers community will fall like it is now.. unless they improve this "Social interaction" thing, that they've been going On about.

Edited by Sakushi

..... And What about Server Forums or finding people to group with a lot easier??

if they carry on and DONT implement this then the servers community will fall like it is now.. unless they improve this "Social interaction" thing, that they've been going On about.

So starting to get diablo 3 release date leaks, they are fakes or guesses but it means its getting closer for sure. Time is ticking BW, I have been waiting for a new mmo for a long time and would love to give you my money for years to come but without server forums you will not get another dollar from me the day diablo 3 is released.

They've explained multiple times why search is disabled. Why continue moaning about it? It'll be back.

Why do people continue moaning about it you ask? Because NO SEARCH = people can't search for: "why is there no search function" ...DUH! I thought that was rather obvious myself. But I guess that is just me. :p

Edited by Musezy

Gosh this must be the 20th time I have posted the same response...please spread it around so people stop asking.

There is no search enabled on the forums because they are 2+ years old and there are exploits that use the search function to get to the admin control panel. The forums are run on a $200 vbulletin license at version 3.8.5. The current version of vbulletin is 4.1.9.

This version has no optimized search queries. A normal current vbulletin install is able to handle 5.000 concurrent connections...this one clearly is not.

Now the question I have been asking since before launch is:

Why on earth have you not updated your forums since Sept 2009?

Clearly there is some custom coding that went into merging the account section with Drupal and probably some other database but releasing this to production for 1.5 million accounts without being able to keep with updates to fix exploits is really sloppy work guys.

I doubt you will EVER be able to search with this version as if they did they would compromise the admin section. Until they decide to migrate to another forum or do an upgrade you boys are stuck with 2009 tech

As for no server forums it was claimed that they did not have the man power to moderate the extra work for the forums.

Well catch 22 here again. If the forums were modern enough to have more social tools and options enabling the community to help police posts then you would not need large teams to police forums.

I am surprised you guys don t know that fanboys are great at policing forums and going after trolls. The right tools to bury posts and threads can do wonders for large communities. Again take a look at your competitors to see how they handle that part...its not rocket surgery

Gosh this must be the 20th time I have posted the same response...please spread it around so people stop asking.

There is no search enabled on the forums because they are 2+ years old and there are exploits that use the search function to get to the admin control panel. The forums are run on a $200 vbulletin license at version 3.8.5. The current version of vbulletin is 4.1.9.

This version has no optimized search queries. A normal current vbulletin install is able to handle 5.000 concurrent connections...this one clearly is not.

Now the question I have been asking since before launch is:

Why on earth have you not updated your forums since Sept 2009?

Clearly there is some custom coding that went into merging the account section with Drupal and probably some other database but releasing this to production for 1.5 million accounts without being able to keep with updates to fix exploits is really sloppy work guys.

I doubt you will EVER be able to search with this version as if they did they would compromise the admin section. Until they decide to migrate to another forum or do an upgrade you boys are stuck with 2009 tech

If true, this is possibly one of the most ridiculous bits of mismanagement I've ever heard of. It means that, in essence, some idiot middle management stinginess/laziness about upgrading a $200 licence could contribute to the downfall of a $100 million odd project. (Because building community at this early stage is extremely important, as I'm sure the developers themselves are aware.)

Right at this moment, a multitude of little connections between people that could be facilitated by server forums, and a multitude of searches that could contribute towards making the forums more coherent, aren't being made

/facepalm

no

/double facepalm

Edited by gurugeorge

Why do people continue moaning about it you ask? Because NO SEARCH = people can't search for: "why is there no search function" ...DUH! I thought that was rather obvious myself. But I guess that is just me. :p
I was thinking exactly same. :) So obvious.

The search function is temporarily disabled.

Inconvenient, sure, but the sky isn't falling.

There are too many "temporary" "inconveniences". Actually three weeks down the line arguably it is no longer "temporary". There is clearly simply not a strong enough desire at BW to sort it out or it would have been sorted out.

It's a simple matter to 'toggle a switch' to turn it on but then they would have had to do proper capacity planning for the servers that host the forums. You would have though that the guys in procurement would know that you can buy resources on demand in a dynamic fashion. They really show a complete disdain for there subscribers. It is this contempt for the customers that I find really annoying.