Killed a sorc through his barrier?

JP_Legatus

I took around 11K through a barrier once. And the kicker, unless I had 3 seconds of lag it was actually in the middle of the channeling because I remember thinking to myself "why the hell is that sin attacking when I'm immune". I've taken random hits on numerous occassions too. Dots tend to go through a lot.

Bubble is also highly questionable at times. It's as if some hits totally ignore it so even if you have a fresh bubble on you still get hit for 6K. Must have been some pretty big hits, in the 12K range, and you more or less never see those since they sorted out the initial bolster bugs. So in other words, the bubble was ignored.

Edited by MidichIorian

My gut feeling is definitely that this is the channel bug in full swing. On his screen he will have pressed the button and initiated the casting animation. The animation is bound to the cast bar so when the animation triggers, so does the activation bar. In the case of the channel bug, the actual ability has not gone on cooldown. It's sitting in the wait state as if it has not been pressed at all. This is why I typically mash the **** out of my casted abilities. I will still be mashing the button 1 second into the animation to ensure that it has actually triggered. The other downside is that you always lose at least 1 GCD whenever you get this bug.

It's funny you mention this. I had the same problem happen to me on my Jedi Sage Healer in a few pvp matches within the last couple of days. Activated Force Barrier but still died well before any attack was initiated against the barrier. Not sure if it's a new exploit or bug but I wouldn't be surprised.

I believe theres is a bug that makes the barrier not work when you are hit with a knockback attack, such as force wave or warrior force push.

Mine sometimes get busted too.

Inb4 Bioware's "working as intended" just like the assassins force shroud.

Edited by Laforet

There is a bug in using barrier while you are still in motion from a knockback, usually when it happens it won't set the cooldown but you will see the animation stop then start.

In programming, this is due to how the client-server model is set up. Most games compensate for lag by trusting the client explicitly. In performance that's good, but it opens up a whole world of mechanics hacks and that's why this game doesn't use it (aimbots in fps games work based on that).

In the use of most skills it seems the server doesnt trust the client. In this example, if the server did trust the client there would be a hack that sorcs could use that autosends the barrier control code into the datastream after death (in coordination with a lagbot).

The end result would be on the screen of everyone attacking the sorc he would die, then reappear back where he was, alive with force barrier up.

So cry all you want about swtor's mechanics... and some are quirky. But they are that way for a reason. If they "fixed" this problem, it would create many little hacks.

And the quirks of this bug currently are that lag does happen, and quite often, because a mostly synchronized client-server model is very sensitive to network issues.

There is a bug in using barrier while you are still in motion from a knockback, usually when it happens it won't set the cooldown but you will see the animation stop then start.

In programming, this is due to how the client-server model is set up. Most games compensate for lag by trusting the client explicitly. In performance that's good, but it opens up a whole world of mechanics hacks and that's why this game doesn't use it (aimbots in fps games work based on that).

In the use of most skills it seems the server doesnt trust the client. In this example, if the server did trust the client there would be a hack that sorcs could use that autosends the barrier control code into the datastream after death (in coordination with a lagbot).

The end result would be on the screen of everyone attacking the sorc he would die, then reappear back where he was, alive with force barrier up.

So cry all you want about swtor's mechanics... and some are quirky. But they are that way for a reason. If they "fixed" this problem, it would create many little hacks.

And the quirks of this bug currently are that lag does happen, and quite often, because a mostly synchronized client-server model is very sensitive to network issues.

Yup, its the same reason to why sometimes we get force lifted behind LoS or hit by melee attacks while sprinting far far away.

Ive heard the fps game Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad (RO:HoS) was using this client side "trust" without getting hacked as a means to make american and european players play confortably on the same server and reduce overall "teleporting" while moving. I dont know how they technically avoid the hackfest tho.

Edited by Laforet

Yup, its the same reason to why sometimes we get force lifted behind LoS or hit by melee attacks while sprinting far far away.

My favorite is when the sniper on the top ledge in huttball rolls toward the goal and it takes the server more time to figure out his new location that it does to figure out he scored.

Ive heard the fps game Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad (RO:HoS) was using this client side "trust" without getting hacked as a means to make american and european players play confortably on the same server and reduce overall "teleporting" while moving. I dont know how they technically avoid the hackfest tho.

COD and most FPS games use a client trusted model. Punkbuster is the way most of them control hacking. MMOs have avoided using a system like punkbuster because of licensing costs i think.

When you are selling a $60 or $30 boxed game, you can include it as the cost of doing business. In a f2p mmo, the licensing costs outweigh the profit of the game per user.

i was the sage who you was fighting..my force barrier mezz you earlier couldn't use it right away i had force imbalance..gonna watch the video and make sure..think that what it was and how your ravage got through..my stun was on cd so couldn't really get away..

usually i stream my wz's..lately just been kind of lazy that way could had seen it from both angles..

editing post..look like my force barrier was up you should had got mezzed giving me enough time to get away..cause i was spec full tk..guess its a bug or something..

just watch the stream on your twitch i didnt pop force barrier that was my force bubble which you killed me through..

Edited by Xertasian

In this case the damage persisted going through his barrier a full 4s after it was on as the bar shows (if it was actually on). If it were lag it'd be almost impossible for that to happen in the way it did.

i was the sage who you was fighting..my force barrier mezz you earlier couldn't use it right away i had force imbalance..gonna watch the video and make sure..think that what it was and how your ravage got through..my stun was on cd so couldn't really get away..

usually i stream my wz's..lately just been kind of lazy that way could had seen it from both angles..

editing post..look like my force barrier was up you should had got mezzed giving me enough time to get away..cause i was spec full tk..guess its a bug or something..

just watch the stream on your twitch i didnt pop force barrier that was my force bubble which you killed me through..

Ohai xD

Idk, me and my guildies watched it a few times and we can't tell what actually happened.

If you look at your character, the overhead channeling bar that appears indicates you had force barrier on. There was no animation however (the animation is very obvious) and the target's cast bar on my UI shows it got "cancelled" somehow. There is no channeling icon for force bubble so it definitely isn't that.

So there's either one of two bugs:

1. there is a bug that continues showing a cast on the character's overhead bars even if the channel is stopped

2. force barrier has a bug that allows damage to go through it

I don't know which bug it is, but it pretty much has to be one of them.

Edited by JP_Legatus

Maybe this falls under Bioware's "5% rule". Where they talked about all attacks have a 5% base chance to hit its target, regardless of effects people cast or use that specify otherwise. As in the devs explanation on why people are getting hit with tech effects and knock backs even with Force Shroud up.

I know I personally have had my guardian force push work, and knock back sages that were in barrier before on at least 2 or 3 separate occasions.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Maybe this falls under Bioware's "5% rule". Where they talked about all attacks have a 5% base chance to hit its target, regardless of effects people cast or use that specify otherwise. As in the devs explanation on why people are getting hit with tech effects and knock backs even with Force Shroud up.

I know I personally have had my guardian force push work, and knock back sages that were in barrier before on at least 2 or 3 separate occasions.

So there should be a 5% chance to kill a mara through UR? Otherwise their 5% explanation is bogus and lazy. Feels like it's all bugs they don't want to tackle.

Otherwise, an assassin's Shroud should work as well as UR.

In that video, I do not see the Force Barrier icon apply on the sage he's attacking. Indicating what happened was an ''ability failure''. Basically the sage cast barrier, and his character goes through the animation and the GCD fires, but the ability does not.

This is common with many casted heals from sage as well as channeled abilities like a Commando's Full-Auto (or a Mercenary's Unload).

Its a broken game engine.

I think a lot of this is due to the fact that the server queues up actions by time stamp and then applies them.

A player may be in the middle of his channel but the server still has actions to apply so they are applied...through the bubble (because they occurred before the bubble).

All 'lag' things you guys said are wrong. It's a known 'bug' its the same glitch that affects shadows/assassins on one of their defensive cooldowns. If you use force barrier your defensive stats get boosted to 20k, however the game still allows for a always '5% chance' to get hit by stuff anyway.

Its not like they cant make stuff 'not get affected' (see knights blade barrier, or any bossfight that renders the boss immune during certain stages), its just plain lazyness i gueess on the devs part. I made a bug report about it ingame and on forums, think ingame they just ignored it. On forums, well as you can see: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=662080 not much.

Edited by elvavwiel

In that video, I do not see the Force Barrier icon apply on the sage he's attacking. Indicating what happened was an ''ability failure''. Basically the sage cast barrier, and his character goes through the animation and the GCD fires, but the ability does not.

This is common with many casted heals from sage as well as channeled abilities like a Commando's Full-Auto (or a Mercenary's Unload).

Its a broken game engine.

So you didn't see the force barrier icon over his head either? The sage said the same thing but in the video I can clearly see the barrier icon over his head.

If you mean the channeling bar by the target window then yeah that gets cancelled, but I still don't know whether it was actually on or not since there is conflicting visuals.

I know what that was. It's the gcd glitch.

You will see the ability cast bar activating, but the ability itself isn't.

It's been in game since launch. And is game breaking in pvp

Yeah that kind of bug is one of the things I thought it might be, no way to know for sure I guess but it's possible the game thought his barrier was off and still put the indicator up.