Raiding Ops - Voice Chat

Brimmer

With the fact the most servers are smaller sizes grouping for Ops can be difficult. So I was wondering how many people prefer NOT to use voice chat during groups.

I for one will never join a group unless they say voice chat isn't required.

I'm exactly the same - but the opposite!

It's usually those not on voice comms that go pulling stuff and take additional time up from other people having to explain everything in a typed format. Also hard to keep up a rotation if you're typing instructions to others. In small groups it's not as bad, but in larger groups it means the leader can be wasting half their time.

All very fine and well if you know those people are competent at the instance, but as not everyone does everything the same way, mileage will vary.

If my guild pugs to fill a spot, without voice chat its a pain to get everyone on the same page. So we insist on a headset and to join our voice comm server. Most people do, if not they find another group.

Been a hermit in an MMO only gets you so far.

I used to raid in other mmos. Without everyone on Ventrilo, it was so hard and complicated for the raid leader to coordinate everything efficiently. I know what I'm talking about because I used to raid lead a few times. It was so annoying to explain things in Ventrilo THEN type the same things in the chat. So much time wasted... It was even worse during the fight.

I mean, most raid leaders only have 2 hands and most of them never learned to type with their feet and ears. :jawa_tongue:

How does server population have anything at all whether or not an Ops group wants to use voice chat??

Look, if you don't want to join a group that uses one, don't. There will almost always be someone willing to take that spot, no matter what server you play on.

hmmm this is very interesting. is Bioware planning on doing this?

I think that it should be for leader only if it's applied.

and that everyone should be able to kick the leader out

if he is too annoying, or distracting.

as far as everyone talking at once that's a nightmare.

and its also more intimidating etc.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY I DO AGREE WITH LEADERS BEING DISTRACTED BY TYPING, I DEF HAVE TROUBLE EARNING MEDALS WHEN IM THE LEADER! ONE SOULTION TO THIS IS TO CREATE A BETTER CHAT. MOSTLY THEY JUST NEED TO CREATE SHORTCUTES FOR WHEN IN CHAT WINDOW....LIKE R for right and L for left or something ...Arrows that pop up

you dont have to ever talk in voice chat. you just need to LISTEN to group or raid instructions.

most guilds have it as a requirement to raid and or group. and also have strict usage of it during a raid.

Most of the content on this game is really easy, and as long as everyone knows what's happening on a fight, it's ok. The problem comes when reaching some of the endgame content.

There are parts of the group endgame content that require coordination to the point that, if anyone does a mistake, it's an almost certain wipe.

If someone knows the fight by heart and can keep eye on several warning moments, then well, it might go alright. Ready checks still a pain but that's not the most annoying thing in the world.

Now, if that someone is unable to keep track of several warnings ("Move to X"; "Attack Y Now"; "Z spawn" kinda of stuff) then it will be a high chance of failing the fight.

If the fight is new, then really hard and time consuming to type "e v e r y t h i n g !", giving also the chance for those in the voice chat to just lose their concentration and all.

At the end, there's no denial. Being in Voice Chat is way better than not. You don't even need to talk. You need to be there to listen to the leader and warnings.

yeah agreed. listen to the leader. maybe the leader could choose a co leader or two as well for voice chatting and commanding team.

this would solve the problem mentioned earlier of the leader playing weaker cause hes distracted by typing. its easier to use voice and use hands to fight.

you dont have to ever talk in voice chat. you just need to LISTEN to group or raid instructions.

most guilds have it as a requirement to raid and or group. and also have strict usage of it during a raid.

I hate voice chat, I get nasty headaches and get in a bad mood when Im forced to listen to people on voice chat.

In other games I used to join the vent groups then mute vent, so I dont have the listen to them. But really theres no point for vent, people just are too lazy to type.

I tend to form pugs or join pugs, I dislike the typical pre-made group of people you will run into in any mmorpg, in terms of raids and ops

Edited by Brimmer

Strict?

Lol what stuck up guilds have you been in?

Vent is there to talk crap to each other between pulls.

• 1 year later...
This sounds really lame but how do you voice chat? I have a headset/mic and I want to but I am not sure how to. Is it built in the game? If so, where/how do I enable it? If not, what do people use?

I use Mumble, but Ventrilo and TeamSpeak are also used. They are all tiny apps, and you could install all 3 of them so you're prepared no matter what.

Having voice chat makes it tons easier to do challenging endgame content. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but typing instructions out can double (literally) the length of time it takes to do an op, and having voice chat will allow on-the-fly warnings to be issued, etc. without having to be typed (which can only exacerbate the problem).

What does server population have to do with this, anyway?

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate your time.

I use Mumble, but Ventrilo and TeamSpeak are also used. They are all tiny apps, and you could install all 3 of them so you're prepared no matter what.

Having voice chat makes it tons easier to do challenging endgame content. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but typing instructions out can double (literally) the length of time it takes to do an op, and having voice chat will allow on-the-fly warnings to be issued, etc. without having to be typed (which can only exacerbate the problem).

What does server population have to do with this, anyway?