The line from the targeting reticle

Galtin

When I TAB to target an enemy and then they move off my screen, a line is drawn from the targeting reticle and points to the direction they moved off my screen. When I try to turn my ship to follow (in the direction the line is drawn), at no time have I been able to get the targeted enemy back on my screen.

I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. BTW I have been playing scout most of the time and figured it would be the ship most capable of quick maneuvering in situations like this one where the enemy is beside or behind you.

Assuming I am not doing anything wrong, one possibility is that while I am trying to get the enemy who is beside/behind me back on my screen, they are trying to do the same thing to me which means we are essentially flying in circles chasing one another.

Edited by Galtin

Are you talking about the line or the arrow? That is in fact what the red arrow does, but there's also a line that shows where your mouse cursor is outside of the weapons circle. But reducing throttle will help you pitch faster, and rolling will also help maneuver them back into your line of sight, and that will likely come naturally with experience. Edited by IncoherentVoice

Ratify - slow your speed (S button), and learn your left/right rolls (A & D), and you'll start seeing them come back into view...bear in mind some people are already good pilots, so you really have to pay attention to where they went, as well as anticipate where they're going. I like that though...I like having to actually go hunt down someone after an engagement...and then viciously take them down for ever having laid down blaster fire on me ;)

If you lower your speed you will turn faster.

This is a misnomer.

Reducing velocity doesn't make you turn "faster;" it decreases the turn radius.

While turn rates are effected by velocity, they're much more dominantly effected by angle of roll.

At its very basic, rate of turn is essentially, how fast you complete a full 360 circle.

Radius of turn is the size of the circle.

This distinction is important because slowing down to "turn faster" isn't always better and can be counter-productive.

If you lower your speed you will turn faster.

not really, it will make you turn slower.

actually the best way to dog fight is going up or down and not left/right, what i usually do is turn my ship with A/D so when i go left (im actually going up) and it moves 30% faster or more.

Edited by Osoygatitalove

This is a misnomer.

Reducing velocity doesn't make you turn "faster;" it decreases the turn radius.

While turn rates are effected by velocity, they're much more dominantly effected by angle of roll.

At its very basic, rate of turn is essentially, how fast you complete a full 360 circle.

Radius of turn is the size of the circle.

This distinction is important because slowing down to "turn faster" isn't always better and can be counter-productive.

Well I was giving him the short-and-skinny version. Not teaching him to fly a plane.