Rate the TOP 5 AAA MMORPG's

Klarick

Really? Star trek online?

its pure garbage, i tried it, enjoyed it, but the exploration missions were pure garbage, only reason i stopped playing, unless your telling me that and the game changed drastically over the past...i dunno 2 years? i wont be coming back anytime soon

Except it has. The game failed so dramatically at launch due to lack of content so...they added a ******** of content. If you enjoyed the gameplay itself, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's also completely free to play now, the cash shop is mostly for cosmetic or convenience items, which a few ships and bridge crew races in there for good measure. They also add new story content every few months in the form of "Episodes" which are now fully voice acted. Only issue it still has is Diplomacy missions give way to little exp.

STO is a good example of how to heal a failed MMO. Player made missions also make it -amazing-.

(Also, "It's pure garbage, I enjoyed it except this one thing" seems kind of...contradicting)

Edited by LegendaryBlade

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with your list is WoW and EQ. WoW is certaintly the most popular, and was a AAA MMO 8 years ago; however, its outdated graphics are no longer good enough to be considored AAA quality. EQ has a special place in my heart as I played it for many years. But, no longer can it be considored AAA.

I'd argue "production quality" is about much more than graphics. You can't argue with what blizz has done over the years. I've never subscribed to WoW personally but you just can't argue with the standard they established. Not putting it fist place is prolly doing it an injustice, not including it in the top 5 is just bonkers.

Remember AAA means high production value and does NOT indicate popularity.

Kim Kardashian is a AAA actress or celebrity or whatever it is she's supposed to be.

Cause of production value.

And every pop-music group in the last 5 years are AAA, while Mozart is nothing.

:rolleyes:

Remember AAA means high production value and does NOT indicate popularity. If AAA meant popularity then games like Wizards101, Second Life, Runescape, and WoW would lead the way. Here are my top 5 AAA MMORPG's. I play them all: (PLease list your Top-5 Current AAA titles)

1. SWTOR

2. Rift

3. Star Trek Online

4. The Secret World

5. Aion

How would you rate them?

1.TOR

2.EQ2

N/A

ps: STO Disable our Region, WTH.

1. World of Warcraft

Easily the most polished and functional MMORPG out there. Massive community. Very experienced dev team. High sense of reliability; you know exactly what you are getting. Excellent end game PvE in case you manage to reach the hard modes. I'm so sick of WoW. I can't imagine going back in years, if ever. Yet, it is easy anough to view it as the best MMORPG out there.

2. Ultima Online

Makes my heart bleed not to put this one to #1. Awesome sandbox with tons and tons of features most players of modern AAA MMOs would deem incredibly innovative, if they ever saw em in action. It is saddening and ironic how an MMPRG released in 1998 is in many ways more modern and ambitious than most WoW clones out there. It is shame EA gives this game no love or visibility whatsoever. Majority of people don't even know it is still alive. I'm about to open my own Museum in it. :D Think of the implications. Whatsort of a game enables you to open a museum, eh! 2d engine is also surprisingly, strangely beautiful at times. Comes with incredibly powerful customization tool which allows you to design and decorate your homes and castles in any damn way you please.No instances. Hopelessly obsolete PvE. Skelton Crew dev team. UO carries the skins of ** at least ** 20 or so (twenty) noq literally dead and defunct "Ultima Online killers" on it's belt.

3. Eve Online

So incredibly bold, different and complex in ways you'd never dream a video game to be. Ways Eve's community( and sub communities) have organized themselves is something everybody should go check out.

Dynamic, actual Warfare and Diplomacy. Ponzi schemes. Piracy. Stock Market. Epsionage. Insane meta gaming. This is not stuff that happens in cutscenes or via some dialogue wheels or to your NPC LIs or some such sillyness. In Eve Online, they are actual, real, ..things. Done exclusively by and to players. Internet spaceships are a VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS. It is endlessly curious, potentially boring boring and infinitely terrifying game. Everybody interested of social dimensions within video games should at least try it. (In meaningful fashion involving actualy findign and joining a Corp. Dont just spend 2 hours shooting stuff with your small space ship, that aspect of the game sucks:p )

4. The Old Republic

I ended up mildly hating TOR around launch. Much of the game world is surprisingly sterile by design. Level design on city planets is beyond horrifying. Game engine is rdiculously clumsy and seems to have massive issues with stuff like..making Mobile Objects do..stuff. There is massive amount of odd tiny instances and hardly any effort to actually benefit from stuff heavily instanced environment would allow. (=Illusion of dynamic world. Think of WoW's phasing for example) Most of all, the UI was just god awful agony from hell.

While I was gone from TOR, BW has fixed like 60% of things in UI that were terrible. That is all it took to make me really enjoy the game. Combat is TONS OF FUN. Loving jumping all over the place as my Jedi Knight so much more than any other combat in any other MMO atm. Sheer quantity and quality of VAs present is something so colossal it is easy to forget to appreciate it. It is absolutely INSANE. Storylines going on in bacground is extremely cool idea. With this in mind, it is sad and paradoxal how little ambition has been present in writing NPCs dialogue. Quest mechanics are from Vanilla WoW which too is bit of a drag.

5. The Secret World

Most innovative and creative MMORPG released in a very long time. Some of the ways TSW challenges player is stuff typical consumer of main stream RPGs, MMOs ot otherwise has EVER seen or experienced before. Massive shame the game flopped. Ultimately, I have no clue why it sold so badly. WHich is logical, considering I have no clue why I stopped playing it myself! TOR would have much to learn from way TSW devs designed and wrote quest giver NPCs. They have character. Personality. Actual interesting things to say.

Idea of restricting your poll to some obscure arbitary "AAA" defination is artifical and makes no sense. Just list em fave MMOs and be done with it. How bout

" Top 10 MMos that are SO DANG AAA they cost 200++++ mils to make!"

Edited by Stradlin

My only problem with your list is WoW and EQ. WoW is certaintly the most popular, and was a AAA MMO 8 years ago; however, its outdated graphics are no longer good enough to be considered AAA quality. EQ has a special place in my heart as I played it for many years. But, no longer can it be considered AAA.

I know your'e trying to start a fanboy battle, and you area going to succeed. WoW is a triple A mmo because it is just so good, i mean there are hardly any faults you can come across. yes, its graphics are outdated but they are their own special style and nothing has replaced them yet. If there was another mmo that used the same art style as WoW (which there aren't) then it would be outdated, but until then technically its not outdated. And come on, WoW is the biggest MMO giant to date, and it still has at least 10mil players after 8 years, even if you don't want to count popularity as a factor you cant help but look at that number and realize it obviously has something that mmo's like swtor and rift are missing. I mean WoW is getting pretty old, and it is still outperforming Other new MMOs that are great and have alot to offer like swtor and rift by a large margin. Like i dont know how anyone can not considerate in the top 5 AAA mmo's, let alone not give it the #1 spot. If you want to have A list of the best AAA MMOs then that is fine, but dont disqualify lists that have WoW at the top stop, Because Frankly WoW is at the top spot. Just ask Anyone at Gamespot, IGN, G4, and i bet you they would all tell you that wow is still the best AAA mmo to date.

1. WoW - sorry despite the hate for it now it made MMO's mainstream and nearly every MMO since has tried to replicate it. Besides it was damn good fun.

2. SWG - flawed masterpiece. So many great ideas along with a few bad ones :) But it was the most I ever felt at home in an MMO. Some truly memorable times .

3. EQ - My first MMO so always have fond memories for that.

4. DAoC

5.FFXI

Current for me are:

1.GW2

2.WoW

3.SWTOR

4.Rift

5.TSW

Edited by Cordelia

I know your'e trying to start a fanboy battle, and you area going to succeed. WoW is a triple A mmo because it is just so good, i mean there are hardly any faults you can come across. yes, its graphics are outdated but they are their own special style and nothing has replaced them yet. If there was another mmo that used the same art style as WoW (which there aren't) then it would be outdated, but until then technically its not outdated. And come on, WoW is the biggest MMO giant to date, and it still has at least 10mil players after 8 years, even if you don't want to count popularity as a factor you cant help but look at that number and realize it obviously has something that mmo's like swtor and rift are missing. I mean WoW is getting pretty old, and it is still outperforming Other new MMOs that are great and have alot to offer like swtor and rift by a large margin. Like i dont know how anyone can not considerate in the top 5 AAA mmo's, let alone not give it the #1 spot. If you want to have A list of the best AAA MMOs then that is fine, but dont disqualify lists that have WoW at the top stop, Because Frankly WoW is at the top spot. Just ask Anyone at Gamespot, IGN, G4, and i bet you they would all tell you that wow is still the best AAA mmo to date.

WoW is mainly so big due to its fortunate timing, the game was introduced around the same time as fast and affordeble internet was released, it was easy and accesseble even on low end computers. One of the biggest "keeper"value in that game atm is the size of the community. WoW is a solid game but planning is not really one of its strong points, every expantion every class gets nearly a complete overhaul , followed with months of rather large .. tweaks or even worse complete revamps. To me WoW doesnt even make it in the top 10 because of that.

Regardless I have a significant activity in that game since release till now, its fun and its decent, but imo far from the best in every aspect but success.

1. World of Warcraft

Easily the most polished and functional MMORPG out there. Massive community. Very experienced dev team. High sense of reliability; you know exactly what you are getting. Excellent end game PvE in case you manage to reach the hard modes. I'm so sick of WoW. I can't imagine going back in years, if ever. Yet, it is easy anough to view it as the best MMORPG out there.

2. Ultima Online

Makes my heart bleed not to put this one to #1. Awesome sandbox with tons and tons of features most players of modern AAA MMOs would deem incredibly innovative, if they ever saw em in action. It is saddening and ironic how an MMPRG released in 1998 is in many ways more modern and ambitious than most WoW clones out there. It is shame EA gives this game no love or visibility whatsoever. Majority of people don't even know it is still alive. I'm about to open my own Museum in it. :D Think of the implications. Whatsort of a game enables you to open a museum, eh! 2d engine is also surprisingly, strangely beautiful at times. Comes with incredibly powerful customization tool which allows you to design and decorate your homes and castles in any damn way you please.No instances. Hopelessly obsolete PvE. Skelton Crew dev team. UO carries the skins of ** at least ** 20 or so (twenty) noq literally dead and defunct "Ultima Online killers" on it's belt.

3. Eve Online

So incredibly bold, different and complex in ways you'd never dream a video game to be. Ways Eve's community( and sub communities) have organized themselves is something everybody should go check out.

Dynamic, actual Warfare and Diplomacy. Ponzi schemes. Piracy. Stock Market. Epsionage. Insane meta gaming. This is not stuff that happens in cutscenes or via some dialogue wheels or to your NPC LIs or some such sillyness. In Eve Online, they are actual, real, ..things. Done exclusively by and to players. Internet spaceships are a VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS. It is endlessly curious, potentially boring boring and infinitely terrifying game. Everybody interested of social dimensions within video games should at least try it. (In meaningful fashion involving actualy findign and joining a Corp. Dont just spend 2 hours shooting stuff with your small space ship, that aspect of the game sucks:p )

4. The Old Republic

I ended up mildly hating TOR around launch. Much of the game world is surprisingly sterile by design. Level design on city planets is beyond horrifying. Game engine is rdiculously clumsy and seems to have massive issues with stuff like..making Mobile Objects do..stuff. There is massive amount of odd tiny instances and hardly any effort to actually benefit from stuff heavily instanced environment would allow. (=Illusion of dynamic world. Think of WoW's phasing for example) Most of all, the UI was just god awful agony from hell.

While I was gone from TOR, BW has fixed like 60% of things in UI that were terrible. That is all it took to make me really enjoy the game. Combat is TONS OF FUN. Loving jumping all over the place as my Jedi Knight so much more than any other combat in any other MMO atm. Sheer quantity and quality of VAs present is something so colossal it is easy to forget to appreciate it. It is absolutely INSANE. Storylines going on in bacground is extremely cool idea. With this in mind, it is sad and paradoxal how little ambition has been present in writing NPCs dialogue. Quest mechanics are from Vanilla WoW which too is bit of a drag.

5. The Secret World

Most innovative and creative MMORPG released in a very long time. Some of the ways TSW challenges player is stuff typical consumer of main stream RPGs, MMOs ot otherwise has EVER seen or experienced before. Massive shame the game flopped. Ultimately, I have no clue why it sold so badly. WHich is logical, considering I have no clue why I stopped playing it myself! TOR would have much to learn from way TSW devs designed and wrote quest giver NPCs. They have character. Personality. Actual interesting things to say.

Idea of restricting your poll to some obscure arbitary "AAA" defination is artifical and makes no sense. Just list em fave MMOs and be done with it. How bout

" Top 10 MMos that are SO DANG AAA they cost 200++++ mils to make!"

These five are all aweosme games tho.

Edited by Stradlin

For Triple A MMos that have a functioning none buggy, none glitching, animation bugged game client that are and function acceptable from the design of the game and launch?

2. AoC

Wait... what ? You haven't really played Age Of Conan at launch, have you ?

Wait... what ? You haven't really played Age Of Conan at launch, have you ?

Well don't know about the OP but I'm having a blast in AoC, who cares about the weak launch years later? The expansions are awesome, game got a lot of polish and tons of content. Best combat system to date and amazingly beautiful worlds.BW could learn a lot from Funcom in many departments