The Unseen Presence- The Next Secret Boss?

I don't know how much is known about this Unseen Presence. I have found it in the second phase of the Dread Master Calphayus fight in phase two and three in the past on the throne. This is in 16-man story mode Dread Palace. I have not had much time to observe it, however I have some theories and possible explanations for its placement. I haven't tried 16-man hard mode and can't remember if it's in 8-man. I personally have only been able to target it once. However, it seems to always be present regardless. I think you might have to tab-target through all of the focus crystals to get it. But haven't had enough time to test that. I've tried using the dreadful amulet on the area where it is located, but nothing happened. Since I was unable to target it, I'm not sure how the dreadful orb will react to it, if it does anything at all. I don't have the Crest of the Dread Master, however, I do have a theory. While that mask doesn't have any clicky abilities, I do believe that its description is a bit different and says that the mask feels ancient or something. If this is the case, and being that the presence exists in the past, the two could have something to do with each other and time in general; perhaps one needs the crest for it to work. Since it is on a throne, maybe you have to literally sit on the throne with the crest on. Then maybe you have to use the orb on yourself or the presence. As far as an explanation for its placement in 16 sm only (please say if it exists in other instances), it seems like a lot, if not all of the guilds capable of doing this at current gear level, would have completely skipped the SM conent and go straight for HM, so putting it in SM would make a great hiding spot. On top of that, it doesn't matter that it's SM since it would be far more challenging DPS wise than anything out at the moment, as Hateful Entity was.

So, does anyone have any insight or ideas about this? Has anyone else even noticed this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many friendly NPCs during boss fights. You see, every time a boss teleports to a certain spot, or faces a certain direction, there needs to be a NPC at that position so that the game can tell the boss "Target that NPC and face in his direction".

Therefore, I don't think this has anything to do with a secret boss; the developers just forgot to make this NPC invisible to the players.

Here are some other examples of these NPCs that I specifically remember, but I'm sure there are lots more:

- Area: Soa in Eternity Vault, the position where Soa teleports to when you jump down the platforms

- Saturation Fire: Kephess in Denova, the area where he puts his AOE attack in

- Laser Focus: Golden Fury in Makeb, he casts his red laser at this fountain

Edited by Jerba

That's possible, but seems a bit suspicious if this thing is called "unseen presence". The reason I say this is that in the area that dreadful entity is spawned, the message states there is a "chilling presence", the orb that powers up before hateful entity spawns is called the Hateful Presence. There could be a connection here. It would be great if someone could get a screenshot of this. We may have found our 3rd secret boss.

Edit: found an entry for it on torhead: http://www.torhead.com/npc/aWg3VCw/unseen-presence

Edited by VoW_LugNut

And also, why have it only show up in such a specific spot? I don't know if it's the case for the other NPC's you referred to, but I do know that the Unseen Presence shows up on the map as a red dot, as an enemy (and all the other crystals). And the name of it is also so ominous, if they didn't want it to mean anything, why not chose a different name, like the Area for Soa?

I am curious if those are just datamined, as there isn't any specific information about it, like location.

Edited by DarthEndonae
more info, didn't want to post another

Oh it exists for sure. Also, I just did a bit more digging. As it turns out, the Laser Focus in TC, not only is far easier to target, but it also does not show up on the map. Whereas the Unseen Presence DOES show up on the map as an enemy. As for targeting the unseen presence, you can't even target it if you click on the space where it would be on the map. I also just came up with an idea , while the maps of instances are topographical, it doesn't show where the enemies are in relation to the ground, so maybe sometimes it could be floating higher.

and your post has the same amount of relevance. This is a speculation thread, not an announcement.

They wouldn't put a NiM tier boss in a SM op.

At least give us a screenshot.

Plus I can't see them making us spawn a boss in a boss fight. They couldn't even get the fight to work properly when it was released, that sounds like bug hell.

There were files mined a while back on what the boss might be, but I can't post them here.

Edited by TrillOG-

That's possible, but seems a bit suspicious if this thing is called "unseen presence". The reason I say this is that in the area that dreadful entity is spawned, the message states there is a "chilling presence", the orb that powers up before hateful entity spawns is called the Hateful Presence. There could be a connection here. It would be great if someone could get a screenshot of this. We may have found our 3rd secret boss.

Edit: found an entry for it on torhead: http://www.torhead.com/npc/aWg3VCw/unseen-presence

well even more importantly the thing you hit with an orb to spawn the hateful entity is called the hateful presence too. Seems like too much of a coincidence to just be something random. unless bioware is trolling us :rolleyes:

I doubt it'll do anything until Nightmare mode comes out though, at least i really hope not...

Edited by OneShotXV

They wouldn't put a NiM tier boss in a SM op.

At least give us a screenshot.

Plus I can't see them making us spawn a boss in a boss fight. They couldn't even get the fight to work properly when it was released, that sounds like bug hell.

There were files mined a while back on what the boss might be, but I can't post them here.

Yeah, I remember the 100% burn phase lol...

He did say he found it on the past throne during phases 2 and 3... I'm wondering if it will be designed so that it has to be summoned during the small window of time that is usually taken up with the tank bringing the little datacron to the throne or something... (remember that past has no boss in that room in phase 3) Pure speculation at this point, obviously, but still something to keep my mind busy while we wait for Nightmare DF. I'll keep an eye out for it during that phase tomorrow (we run 16 man HM two-three times a week) and see if I can get a lock on it and a screenshot, if it is in HM as well.

Edited by VoW_LugNut

Each new iteration of the secret boss seems to get harder and harder DPS-wise, so trying to defeat a boss inside of another boss's enrage timer would make it quite challenging, and perhaps too challenging in HM or NiM's enrage. It shows up in the second and third past phases, and in the third, the only thing in there is the crystal, so there wouldn't be anything else trying to hurt us. The other part in regards to its placement in SM is that it really doesn't matter where the boss is placed, as you will need at least the Dreadful Orb to spawn it, likely while wearing the mask, requiring that you need to have beaten the Dreadful Entity at least, if not the Hateful Entity. Both of which are/were quite challenging DPS-wise. On top of that, Hateful isn't super hard to spawn, as you can beat it in HM and then switch the phase to NiM since they share a lockout. And since a lot of the guilds capable of defeating Hateful Entity probably just skipped SM DF/DP, it would make an excellent hiding spot to put it in SM.

The Unseen Presence is just an invisible aggro target for the Calphayus (similar to the Saturation Fire on Explosive Conflict or the Laser Focus on Toborro's Courtyard). It does lack the invisibility part... but it has nothing to do with a secret boss.

To be honest I doubt we'll see any more secret bosses given the resources involved in making one just for a handful of people. Hateful Entity was already a bit "recycled":

• Dreadful Entity Model (recolored blue), Dread Touch, Awakening, and AoE lighting abilities (with small variations)
  • Tyrans Death Mark
  • Powertech Grapple

The Unseen Presence is just an invisible aggro target for the Calphayus (similar to the Saturation Fire on Explosive Conflict or the Laser Focus on Toborro's Courtyard). It does lack the invisibility part... but it has nothing to do with a secret boss.

To be honest I doubt we'll see any more secret bosses given the resources involved in making one just for a handful of people. Hateful Entity was already a bit "recycled":

• Dreadful Entity Model (recolored blue), Dread Touch, Awakening, and AoE lighting abilities (with small variations)
  • Tyrans Death Mark
  • Powertech Grapple

Who knows? This one could be pink and purple and use all of those abilities plus thundering blast, since Bioware seems to have a hard on for that ability in these newest boss fights.

Who knows? This one could be pink and purple and use all of those abilities plus thundering blast, since Bioware seems to have a hard on for that ability in these newest boss fights.

I am now expecting a pink and purple secret boss - Joyful Entity maybe?

• Tyrans Death Mark
  • Powertech Grapple

At least that clears this Unseen thing up.

I hate to say it but you might be right, and there may not be any new "secret" bosses due to the small amount of players who have downed Hateful.

But there was something that came up a little while back, and like I said I can't post it but what I can say is...

Darth Vitus.

Edited by TrillOG-

Darth Vitus.

He's marked as a quest giver with no abilities at all. I discarded this possibility long long ago, but meh... I could be wrong.

EDIT: Although lorewise it would make some sense. Also in game the character name is just Vitus.

Edited by Qvasar

Whoa I didn't know about Darth Vitus, that's awesome! For those of you who don't know, here's the wookieepedia page on him: http://www.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vitus

And why wouldn't the presence show up in all of the phases of time instead of just those two 2nd and 3rd pasts? And why is it so much more difficult to target than the other aggro targets? And why does it show up as an enemy on the map (a little red dot) when the other aggro targets do not? I tested this with the Laser Focus in TC, it doesn't show up on the map. The point is that the placement and features of the unseen presence seem a bit too deliberate to be nothing.

Edited by DarthEndonae
link didn't work

He's marked as a quest giver with no abilities at all. I discarded this possibility long long ago, but meh... I could be wrong.

EDIT: Although lorewise it would make some sense. Also in game the character name is just Vitus.

I didn't get this information from torhead, and it said Darth Vitus.

Edit: If you're right then that's disappointing.

Edited by TrillOG-

Im pretty sure it'll be 16man nightmare again :p

I don't really think we have enough of a pattern to assume Nightmare. It was in HM in TFB, and the secret boss may not be in HM 16, On top of that, if this is the secret boss, then it would be literally impossible to beat in HM, let alone NiM with their enrage timers, if they were going for having boss fight inception, it could only be done in SM.