Marauder Buff = Nerf in Disguise

Phyrexianist

NOTE: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THING; THIS IS BASICALLY WHAT IT PROVES:

BIOWARE SAYS "Marauders getting overall damage increase."

BIOWARE DOES *Nerfs Marauder Damage*

---------------------------

--

Annihilation

Hemorrhage: Now increases damage dealt by bleed effects by 5% per point.

Bleedout: Now correctly modifies critical damage dealt by bleed effects.

Changes to Hemorrhage and Bleedout result in an overall increase in Damage Per Second.

-Today; I logged onto my full Battlemaster marauder. I love him. He is amazing. Can 1 v 1 anyone.

BUT

Explain this Bioware.

- Before the patch; I could kill healers no problem. Now I'm lacking enough DPS.

- Before the patch; My DoT's crit for 1500+, now they crit for ~ 1000-1200.

So this was a 9% flat increase to bleed damage (supposedly).

And a "correction to the modifier for critical damage dealt by bleed effects."

That second statement could mean one of three things; before it wasn't not giving the full 30% OR that it was giving a stacking/multiplied version OR too much ( > 30% ).

BIOWARE WHY DON'T YOU TELL US EXACTLY WHY IT NEEDED TO BE CORRECTED? What the current calculation was and what you are changing it to?

So here's some numbers:

Before Patch

Deadly Saber 3x Stack Hit = ~ 800

Deadly Saber 3x Stack Crit = ~ 1450-1600 (adrenal and relic used I ALSO USED THESE TESTING POST PATCH)

After Patch

Deadly Saber 3x Stack Hit = ~ 740

Deadly Saber 3x Stack Crit = ~ 1200-1300

My Bleed Crit Chance = 51% (Talents+buffed)

Thus if they DID "nerf" the critical damage but "buff" the flat damage" then this would not be a overall damage increase since Annihilation Marauders are BASED OFF BLEED CRITICAL.

This truly appears that it has made "Bleedout" (Increases the critical strike damage of your bleed affects by 30%.) = 0%.

It SEEMINGLY has no effect after the patch.

This was tested through 30+ games and I've yet to get anywhere near my 1600 crits I used to; even with Bloodthirst up. (15% all dmg and healing increase for you and party)

Also, I ticketed that "Relentless Fury" had ZERO effect when you put 1/2 points into it and they've YET to fix it 1 month later.

So what I want in future "Patch Notes":

EXAMPLE: (Not actual before/after changes. Just the idea depicted.)

Annihilation

Hemorrhage: Now increases damage dealt by bleed effects by 5% per point. (up from 2 % per point)

Bleedout: Now correctly modifies critical damage dealt by bleed effects. (fixed issue where this granted 50% critical damage)

Changes to Hemorrhage and Bleedout result in an overall increase in Damage Per Second.

----

You see? Not difficult.

Saddest part about this; is that these Bioware programmers are a joke. I could do a better job.

My advice to you; when you say you are fixing something; test it. Hire people to test it. Make sure the change is actually being effected. Sure it might take a week longer to get it all tested and made sure it was good for release but at least you wouldn't have thousands of subscribers wondering "*** BIOWARE" every single Tuesday.

NOTE:

I'm an understanding person; I get that Bioware is fairly new to MMO's but:

they worked 5-6 years on this game and it has plenty of issues;

they don't post what they are fixing;

all their patch notes are extremely vague;

their programmers tend to cause more/worse problems when they attempt to fix issues;

So; the fact is I don't really care, because It's muh 21st birthday today and I'm about to go get crunk... but seriously this post was for everyone who see's up coming patch notes!

WHEN YOU SEE YOUR CLASS IS GETTING BUFFED! THINK TWICE! BIOWARE WILL NERF IT AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A BUFF IN PATCH NOTES! =)

Happy Tuesday everyone!

EDIT:

Changes are definitely going to be made to the UI in response to initial feedback we received after the patch was deployed. (Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

Nice...

Makes sense now; the Dev team is COMPLETELY oblivious to the patch effects. As I've stated in previous threads; perhaps you should hire some gamers to test your game before the patch. That way... You wouldn't lose subscribers every single tuesday.

Although; I must say... Thinking short term instead of long term might be your best option since many players feel that this game is fading extremely quick.

My threads are to HELP YOU BIOWARE!

Start reading them!

Edited by Phyrexianist

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't surprise me, Failware nerfed Assassins for no reason, now they've stealth nerfed Marauders.

I guess next week's patch will be a stealth nerf to snipers, then the 3 weakest classes will be all nerfed.

Meanwhile tracer spammers go nerf-free.

Doesn't surprise me, Failware nerfed Assassins for no reason, now they've stealth nerfed Marauders.

I guess next week's patch will be a stealth nerf to snipers, then the 3 weakest classes will be all nerfed.

Of course they are nerf-free.

It's hard to buff the intelligence of the player to line of sight, interrupt, straight dps down the merc.

Can't fix stupid.

Fixing an obvious bug is not a nerf. Please pay attention.

They state overall damage increase in patch notes when it was about a 5-10% damage PER SECOND decrease.

Ninja nerf. Flat out.

Even if it was an bug before; they should say what it is they are fixing and then dont go an say it's buffing damage out put when it does the exact opposite.

they probably did mean to buff it, but they just screwed up. like ilum they have good intentions, but what is lacking is talent

As I said before; their programmers aren't thinking very well. I understand that it's like a pretty stressful job and they are the one's getting *****ed at for most of the crap people complain about; but honestly they need to get their **** together or Bioware needs to get some new ones.

Well, the worst part is that they actually stated that it's a dps increase. Like they just had to make themselves look silly. Everyone noticed that it's a damage decrease just because they stated it's an increase. With a history of bad patching, these things show way too much.

Fixing an obvious bug is not a nerf. Please pay attention.

Funny how you say to someone else to pay attention lol. They were supposed to buff the damage while fixing the bug, not nerf.

Edited by gtdead

They state overall damage increase in patch notes when it was about a 5-10% damage PER SECOND decrease.

Ninja nerf. Flat out.

Even if it was an bug before; they should say what it is they are fixing and then dont go an say it's buffing damage out put when it does the exact opposite.

Link to your math please because the math my guildy did shows it as a buff overall, and he says after testing it is working correctly now.

Or did you just do like 10 hits of the 1 ability and expect to see the difference?

Well, the worst part is that they actually stated that it's a dps increase. Like they just had to make themselves look silly. Everyone noticed that it's a damage decrease just because they stated it's an increase. With a history of bad patching, these things show way too much.

Pretty big talk on my server. The majority of damage is bleeds and they nerfed it. So now we're melee; medium armor; little to no CC; and our damage gets nerfed. I'ma just go tank... AHHH ****... just remembered; marauders can only dps.

;)

OP:

You say you did your test with relics and adrenals active. Was the adrenal by any chance a Rakata Adrenal?

From the patch notes:

"Rakata reusable stims and adrenals have been reduced in power, providing buffs equal to Energized stims and adrenals. However, the tooltips for these items have not been updated and will still display old values."

Edit: As a side note, not having the tooltips auto-generate from the same database that sets item/ability effects is totally bush league.

Edited by Dzhokhar

Link to your math please because the math my guildy did shows it as a buff overall, and he says after testing it is working correctly now.

Or did you just do like 10 hits of the 1 ability and expect to see the difference?

15-20 games today and:

I can't hit 500 k anymore.

My bleed hits are slightly more.

My bleed crits are ALOT less.

So if you typically just "hit" with this then sure. (bad gear)

Also If you have **** gear then yea; it's probably a small buff.

But full battlemaster; when you have the crit rating that your bleeds are critting almost every tick. It's a big dps loss.

We have an ability called Berserk that should be used basically on CD to increase our constant pressure of Bleed damage which causes 6 bleed ticks to critical strike.

So with 51% crit + 100% crit every 15-20 seconds or so; my bleeds are critting ALOT and when the critical damage is less. I'm putting out less damage. Obviously I don't have it PARSED because Bioware fails to allow add-on's.

OP:

You say you did your test with relics and adrenals active. Was the adrenal by any chance a Rakata Adrenal?

From the patch notes:

"Rakata reusable stims and adrenals have been reduced in power, providing buffs equal to Energized stims and adrenals. However, the tooltips for these items have not been updated and will still display old values."

If I use my relic (*unchanged)I go from 78% to 92% Surge Rating; if I use my adrenal on top of that I gain 7.03 % surge rating.

The tooltip reads 565 for 15 seconds.

If it spread evenly... (WHICH IT DOESN"T but for the sake of give YOU the benifit of the doubt) we'll say this spreads evenly.

565/7%

= 80 rating per 1 %... thus the change was roughly .25 %

Thanks you. Come again.

OP:

From the patch notes:

Edit: As a side note, not having the tooltips auto-generate from the same database that sets item/ability effects is totally bush league.

Also the change you are referring to after DR is about ~.22% with full battlemaster gear.

~98.50 before patch and now it's 98.72

I would love to believe you, sadly, there is no way to do any sort of meaningful test in this game that eliminates all variables. We don't have combat logs, we don't have test dummies where we know that their stats aren't changing from patch to patch.

Also the change you are referring to after DR is about ~.22% with full battlemaster gear.

~98.50 before patch and now it's 98.72

I didn't do the math before I asked. Also, you do realize the nerf to the adrenal is 565 down to 475, not 535 (based on your linear assumption math, you don't). That said, it looks to me like you're stacking surge well past the point of diminishing returns. Maybe you should see what happens if you use an Attack adrenal instead of a Force adrenal.

The fact that they state that they're giving you an overall increase in dps when it's the opposite is a slap in the face.

They buffed the base damage and seemingly nerfed the crit damage. For anybody whose gear isn't stacked for crit/surge, it probably is a damage buff.

The thing they fixed was that the Bleedout ability was giving us 30% passive increase to bleed damage as opposed to the 30% critical damage. So in order to compensate, they increased Hemorrhage from 6% (Or 4% as it was bugged before and only giving 4% apparently, didn't do the test myself, but seems apparent from others who've tested it and posted on the class forums) to 15% instead. So we do in fact see a decrease in damage, as can be seen just using simple math, which is all over the class boards so I'm not sure if it needs reposting here, but just quickly, what it boils down to is:

Prior to patch (assuming baseline hit without talents = 100, round easy number for easy math, crit multiple = 80%, also assuming hemorrhage tests were correct in that only giving 4% instead of 6%):

Non crit: 100*1.34 = 134 damage.

Crit: 100*1.34*1.8 =241.2 damage.

Post patch (same assumptions):

Non crit = 100*1.15 = 115 damage.

Crit = 100*1.15*2.1 = 241.5 damage.

So this results in you needing to have a very very high crit rate in order to justify this as an increase in dps!

We are however still a strong force to be reckoned with despite of this and I'm still quite happy with my marauder.

3 weakest classes?

You mean the 3 strongest right?

Terribly sad that people actually think assassins/juggs and snipers are weak. It's just that no one can figure out how to play them so it gives the class a bad rep.