Crafting worth it?

ShadowStarTiger

It's definitely a large investment at first, but in the end you have the potential to make gear equivalent to endgame PvP or raid gear, and can even make it better by getting a lucky craft with an additional augment slot. But you're right, it's definitely hard to see any payoff while you're leveling it up. I'm doing Synthweaving right now, and I'm at about 300, and it's just starting to be actually useful.

Also, even if you don't want to craft, you can sell crafting materials from Underworld Trading, schematics from Slicing and so on, for a lot of money.

At any point is crafting worth the trouble?

Spent a lot of time and credits getting skill up to make stuff my level.... and its not even worth equiping....

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are willing to put in the time, you can make good money on the GTN, either with crafted items, or gathering materials.

I use crafting for my own convenience, mostly - I have a Cybertech who has blue mods/armorings every 5 levels or so for any alt that I make. These alts will now have full Orange gear fairly early on, if I want, which makes this even better.

I have sold a couple of crit-crafted War Hero pieces for 300k each, though I don't invest a lot of time on it.

If I were going to do it for money (on my server), I would invest in Artifice, and have Prototype crystals of every color for levels 22-4x, and list them as often as possible. You just can't find these things on my server, so I imagine I could easily sell them for 25k or so each. I could do this on my Cybertech as well with Armorings, since they cost so many commendations compared to Mods and Enhancements. I just don't put in the time, to be honest - dailies provide me with plenty of credits for what I do in the game.

I'm not trying to say I do it the right way, or anything like that - just sharing my experience with it.

Riôt

Edited by lordofdamornin

I spent 1.2 million on WH gear and augments on the GTN today so someone's making money. I have biochem and while it's an advantage for me I'm never crafting for the sake of selling, I only have the schematics I needed to level up since it was my second time leveling it (I had synth for a while inbetween).

Good to know it's worth it in the long run :)

My first char just be level 23, and all I know is I spent the last couple days (and who knows how many thousand credits) pushing Armstech up to where I am, and all I get out of it is a slightly better barrel.... lol.

Just remember the barrel is the most important upgrade on a blaster. A lvl23 barrel makes an orange lvl11 blaster in to a lvl23 blaster.

Crafting is defenently slowing my leveling down and you have to invest either time or money, but I'm enjoying gathering and making good money.

Edited by TOURDallas

Good to know it's worth it in the long run :)

My first char just be level 23, and all I know is I spent the last couple days (and who knows how many thousand credits) pushing Armstech up to where I am, and all I get out of it is a slightly better barrel.... lol.

It's better when you're higher level. In your 20's and 30's it's not cost effective to be leveling your skills to a point that you can create items to replace your gear/mods because you'll out-level them too quickly.

It is cost effective later on when you can put the higher quality versions of your crafted items on the GTN because there are gaps in the leveling process where you can't purchase mods/items with commendations, or the craftable versions are higher quality or have additional stats.

For endgame purposes being a crafter can get you a lot of money. I'm a smuggler and a 400 Armstech crafter and I found schematics for orange assault cannons and blaster rifles through investigation. Because my Corso has his affection maxed and he has a +2 armstech crit chance I get him making weapons all the time. I was one of the first people to start selling them on my server and at first an augmented assault cannon was getting me 150k each and some were selling within the first couple of minutes of me putting them up. Since then a lot of other people have been crafting them although each time a new crafter sells one they sell it cheaper so now an assault cannon is worth about 60k, because of this I've gone on to making rifles and because of the smaller market for vanguards these are selling for 180k each at the moment.

I haven't seen many pistols on the market yet and there should be a high demand for them since there are 2 AC's that use them, I haven't started because I haven't got the level 50 schematic for it yet.

I'd imagine that armormech and synthweavers have a lot of potential for money making here because of the various pieces of craftable orange armour.

My main 'toon (a Gunslinger) has Armstech, and I spent a lot to develop it. It definitely hasn't paid for itself yet (not by a long shot) although I did good business in lower-level Commando barrels for a while, and sometimes in assault cannons and ranged orange weapons too. I've made weapons for my companions but the specs of my crafted weapons almost never keep up with the upgrades I can put in my main's weapons or buy with my warzone commendations from PvP vendors in the Fleet. Now my crafting is stalled because of shortages in rare materials, even though my inventory is completely full with scavenged and investigated materials. The GTN on my server has been able to address some of these periodic shortages but now I've hit a wall and am going to use my credits for other stuff (like speeder 2 finally!). I don't think gaming companies necessarily know how to generate viable virtual in-game economies , so it would be interesting to see stats on the swtor crafting economy game-wide (or at least using a sample of busy servers).