Request: Return Freighter Flyby/Orbital Strike to Scoundrels and Operatives

Joachimthbear

I've seen various comments and questions, but no direct requests, so here it goes: please reverse the decision to take away XS Freighter Flyby from Scoundrels and Orbital Strike from Operatives. To me - and I'm sure I'm not alone in this - these powers are among the greatest highlights of the Agent and Smuggler classes. They're among the coolest and most fun to use of all abilities in the game. Removing them would take away a lot more from the Operative and Scoundrel than an AoE attack.

I'm under no illusions here; with only a few days until early access, there's probably not enough time to make this not happen. When I log in on December 2nd as my first ever character, my first level 50, my first level 55, the Scoundrel I've played since launch, will no longer have his Freighter Flyby. That will be a sad day, and put a serious damper on my enjoyment of the expansion I've pre-purchased, but I'm kind of resigned to it. What I'm asking is for the ability to be re-added as soon as possible.

This is not a demand, or a threat. I'm not pretending I'm going to unsubscribe if this doesn't happen. It won't kill my enjoyment of the whole game. But it would, without doubt, be a huge disappointment to me. I appreciate that the decision wasn't taken without reason, but is that reason really worth upsetting so many players? How many people who don't even read the forums are going to log on in a few days time to find that these abilities are just gone?

I encourage anyone else who plays a Scoundrel or Operative (or who just cares about the principle of letting us keep our cool stuff) to add their voice to this request. This is something I feel strongly about, and I doubt I'm alone.

Thank you for your time. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also agreed.

Sometimes, Operatives and Scoundrels, even those completely heal-specced, need to solo. This means they need to clear their way through mobs, sometimes biggish mobs. It's not the big bad boss that takes the time, it's hewing your way through the massive numbers of normals, weaks, and strongs that block the path. The lack of an AOE makes that a much less fun and more boring process when each needs killing individually. "But wait! That's why they're there, to stretch out the game time before you get to the big boss!" Time syncs aren't fun, doing the same thing over and over and over to get to the interesting fights are anti-fun.

I also agree. I've no idea what the actual point of removing the orbital strike and freighter fly by was, now do I care. But in all honesty, if I wanted a game full of boring *** time sinks...I'd go back to Everquest 1.

I enjoy everything about this game and while I understand things need to change, pissing off your player base, isn't a good thing. I mean, it was bad enough the nerf before basically rendered this ability kinda useless, but it still did damage, but take it from someone like me, we want to get in/get out quickly, not sit there in the same instance/area killing things slooooooooowly. There's taking one's time, and being bored to death.

Also agreed.

Sometimes, Operatives and Scoundrels, even those completely heal-specced, need to solo. This means they need to clear their way through mobs, sometimes biggish mobs. It's not the big bad boss that takes the time, it's hewing your way through the massive numbers of normals, weaks, and strongs that block the path. The lack of an AOE makes that a much less fun and more boring process when each needs killing individually. "But wait! That's why they're there, to stretch out the game time before you get to the big boss!" Time syncs aren't fun, doing the same thing over and over and over to get to the interesting fights are anti-fun.

There will still be an AoE, it just won't be FF/OS. At least that's what I got from the blog.

The only thing that ever made missions and dailies tolerable on my healer OP was fly by.

Now that I can't heal or do missions I'll probably scrap the toon, and if nothing else catches my eye I'll scrap the account.

There are plenty of games to play, don't need to play games that suck.

I should have known that 12x was too good to be true, they had to do it to get us to order, there is no way I would order the XPAC now that I know what they have done.

No. An area attack that hits at 30 meters repeatedly should not be given to a class that fights at an optimal range of 4 to 10 meters, and given that its not even iconic of the class, there is no reason it should be allowed to keep it, "coolness" be damned.

No. An area attack that hits at 30 meters repeatedly should not be given to a class that fights at an optimal range of 4 to 10 meters, and given that its not even iconic of the class, there is no reason it should be allowed to keep it, "coolness" be damned.

It's not iconic of the class? Are you kidding? Han Solo calling in a Millennium Falcon flyby isn't iconic? Because that's basically what this is. Even more messed up, the Scoundrel is the AC that is based around Han Solo. And yet they're the one's losing the ability to call in the ship.

If they want to make it stronger on Slingers, or easier to use, or whatever, fine. But, since all Smuggler's get an XS Freighter, it makes no sense that all of them can't call in a flyby.

Or maybe you're just another imperial only guy.. which is why you don't think the move is iconic. :rolleyes:

Edited by Galbatorrix

LMAO, you are kidding right. Not iconic. Orbital Strike is the Agent LEGACY skill. You unlock it for completing Act 3 on any Agent....that includes Operative. I have been keeping an open mind about all the changes in 3.0, but was confused about this change. It makes no sense "thematically" (their word, not mine) to give a class a legacy skill that they are not able to use.... I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen this mentioned a single time, I've been keeping an eye on feedback about Operative's too. Mostly because I co-main an Operative healer.

They've made the decision to make each Advanced Class more different and the FF/OS change is one of the ways they've done it.

Instead of bemoaning the fact, just wait and see how it plays out on Tuesday. I'm sure they will be keeping an eye on the metrics to ensure that they've not weakened any AC with the changes and will make any adjustments that are needed if the data doesn't prove out.

Until I get a chance to actually play the new changes, I'll reserve opinion on the matter.

LMAO, you are kidding right. Not iconic. Orbital Strike is the Agent LEGACY skill. You unlock it for completing Act 3 on any Agent....that includes Operative. I have been keeping an open mind about all the changes in 3.0, but was confused about this change. It makes no sense "thematically" (their word, not mine) to give a class a legacy skill that they are not able to use.... I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen this mentioned a single time, I've been keeping an eye on feedback about Operative's too. Mostly because I co-main an Operative healer.

Why not give all 30m abilities to Scoundrel/Operative?

Oh, wait...

Why not give all 30m abilities to Scoundrel/Operative?

Oh, wait...

Because it is incredibly difficult and complex to make Orbital Strike have a smaller range for operatives, say 10m?

Oh, wait.....

EDIT: Not to mention that has nothing to do with my point, which you quoted. Orbital Strike is not simply a random skill used by snipers. It is the class Legacy skill. If you can not differentiate that from "all 30m abilities" then I have no idea what to tell you.

Edited by BrittneyNB

Right. So what about Death from Above for Powertechs ? They're also have an optimal range of 4-10 m and yet DFA hits repeatedly at 30m. Or Madness sins.... they are a melee class and yet they can hit up to 5 targets at 30m, every 15 seconds... should these other 2 abilities be removed on these classes too ?

I've seen various comments and questions, but no direct requests, so here it goes: please reverse the decision to take away XS Freighter Flyby from Scoundrels and Orbital Strike from Operatives. To me - and I'm sure I'm not alone in this - these powers are among the greatest highlights of the Agent and Smuggler classes. They're among the coolest and most fun to use of all abilities in the game. Removing them would take away a lot more from the Operative and Scoundrel than an AoE attack.

You think that's bad? My carnage marauder I've been playing since early access is having his epic Force Scream replaced by some dumb wavy lightsaber attack. :mad: Totally ruined my favourite character.

: Not to mention that has nothing to do with my point, which you quoted. Orbital Strike is not simply a random skill used by snipers. It is the class Legacy skill. If you can not differentiate that from "all 30m abilities" then I have no idea what to tell you.

Legacy Lightning Storm, which is a legacy version of a skill only acquired by Sorcerers, says hi.

You think that's bad? My carnage marauder I've been playing since early access is having his epic Force Scream replaced by some dumb wavy lightsaber attack. :mad: Totally ruined my favourite character.

At least you can still use Force Scream for shis and giggles. Scoundrels apparently broke their comlink and can no longer reach their XS Freighter at all.

They've made the decision to make each Advanced Class more different and the FF/OS change is one of the ways they've done it.

Instead of bemoaning the fact, just wait and see how it plays out on Tuesday. I'm sure they will be keeping an eye on the metrics to ensure that they've not weakened any AC with the changes and will make any adjustments that are needed if the data doesn't prove out.

Until I get a chance to actually play the new changes, I'll reserve opinion on the matter.

the power was weak to begin with, removing it wont make that much difference. But it was the signiture power of the class. will they be adding a new legacy power to the list? probably not.

And it will finally make sense. In Carnage/Combat your damage is lightsaber based not force based.

*snip* It makes no sense "thematically" (their word, not mine) to give a class a legacy skill that they are not able to use.... I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen this mentioned a single time, I've been keeping an eye on feedback about Operative's too. *snip*

I made a similar topic few days ago (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=778003)

OP was

As a Smuggler you chase your hunk o' junk for the entirety of your prologue, yet it's not "Iconic", Orbital Strike is.

So again; why remove and then add AoE damage and excise a Class' Iconic ability at the same time?

*snip*

Ofc, that thread is mainly about the question of what follows. The need for balancing does not stop with 3.0 and the 'new' way of balancing apparently seems to be by turning talents in to abilities and vice versa, then throw them across the entire class. Will AC switching (witch I oppose) become a option?

When it comes to any of the actual balance changes, I fully agree, but with this change, what is there to wait and see about? Maybe I won't miss one of my favourite abilities all that much after all? If a nerf to Flyby/Orbital is really necessary, nerf it, but to me, it's part of the Smuggler and Agent experience. I'd like to register as early and as loudly as possible (and appropriate :)) that this is something that will hurt Scoundrels and Operatives, not from a stats and numbers point of view but from a sheer fun and enjoyment point of view.

I'm sure they will be keeping an eye on the metrics to ensure that they've not weakened any AC with the changes and will make any adjustments that are needed if the data doesn't prove out.

Now that's really funny. It will take them months to fix anything they screw up. I also am not happy about this change and I wouldn't have my healer in 10M reach of the enemies, that makes no sense at all.

I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with the changes. I'm trying to keep an open mind but usually when BW changes things, things get screwed up.

There are no metrics for fun. There is no data about enjoyment.

There are no metrics for fun. There is no data about enjoyment.

There is some data about enjoyment. Smuggler and Imperial Agent are the least played class across the game.... Kinda odd when such an overpowered class that needs nerfing is least played.