Excellent interview with Hall Hood, Lead Writer for SWTOR

ChazDoit

It's always nice to see intereviews with the designers, talk about future content, but story i as important on this game and here's an intereview that many of you would like to see. Brought to you by Torwars

Interview HERE

Topics Discussed

~ Character development that keeps players interested

~ Why some classes are clearly Republic, and some are Sith, and some walk a very gray line

~ Drawing inspiration from Episodes 4, 5, and 6 (and not so much from 1,2, and 3!)

~ Why humor is important to Star Wars

~ Writing characters and NPCs that people care about

~ Why the Sith aren’t completely evil

~ How does one write for players who like to be ********es?

~ Where do the stories go, now that players have leveled to 50?

~ Why plot twists are essential to the Star Wars universe

~ Can great villains (or heroes) truly die, or can they re-appear?

SPOILER ALERT: They also talk the ending for the Jedi Knight and Bounty Hunter storyline and The False Emperor, not in great detail, but you've warned

A couple things that I found interesting:

on companion stories:

He specificially mentions wanting to continue Risha's story. Yay for continuing companion stories!!

on class stories:

It sounds like Makeb is going to be largely a planetary questline with smaller class moments. I'm hoping that isn't the way the rest of the story is going to progress after Makeb.

Good interview, i'd love to hear more interviews with writers, I had been thinking there's been a lack of that out there.

Regarding the comment he made towards the end about being inspired by the Avengers movies with different heroes coming together, I wondered what he could possibly mean by that, and I guess it could mean a lot of things, but it made me think of what could be fun thing to do with future class stories.

For example, what if there was a quest chain that started out with your character individually, with every other class having their own unique part, that ended in an instance that actually required one of each class in your faction to complete. And it isn't based on combat roles at all but a completely story driven instance where the whatever your class got out of the quest chain is what is important. I think that'd be pretty cool, and be a nice breakaway from the standard combat trinity.

Edited by chuixupu

i doubt that will entirely be the case, definetely looks like we're gonna see overlapping class storyline but i don't think makeb will be a planet for groups only. I just remember from one of the trailers seeing a cutscene where the bh is about to face off against this robot - you'll notice there's a jawa in the background which i assume is blizz (a companion). But there's also that scene of all the rep classes running from a falling tower so who knows.:rak_02:

I hope there is a new lvl cap though, gaining experience and lvling up is half the fun :D

Really great podcast! By far the best Story Interview we've had! Hall Hood is a great guy and a great writer and I look forward to what he can do.

And I love that he's confirmed that the story for the Empire will get new Heros for our Faction. And that the game's story isn't as dead as it seems. Things are progressing.

We have only just finished Chapter One. :)

Grouping and interacting with other players really ruins the atmosphere, feel and storyline. For me it is like it would suck you out of the magic world the game is trying to create back into the real life.

So far I have tried to use absolute minimal interaction with other players in the phase of storyline. I joined guild only after I hit 50 with each character.

Edited by Path-x