Non-geared players in Gree Event

I ran HM 8M Xeno last night, we had to pick up a pug tank, he came into the group with gear modded towards strength, barely hitting 22k hp and using a strength stim, we gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried to down the boss, after 3 wipes we told him sorry he wasn't pulling his weight as he was always the first one to die and didn't seem to be grasping the mechanics after we had explained them mulitple times, we had a guildie switch to a tank (he was trying to get the helixes on his dps) and we downed the boss on the next try, def don't think it's rude or mean to gear check people and or remove them if they don't match up.

dunno the situation at hand but the best tanks tend to stack there primary stat over endurance to a certain extent, acting like it's strange to see a jugg/guardian with str stim and str gear kind of makes me think you're dumb.

take some time to learn about how threat/agro gets generated then compare some 30k tank to a mid 20's that has stacked more primary and see how well they maintain threat on bosses against BiS dps'ers.

now if they have some silly stuff as secondary or tertiary that's a different story, and you may very well have gotten a simply bad tank /shrug, not saying your pug tank was good, just saying plenty of people prefer str/aim/wp stim over end

Edited by Gwence

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acting like it's strange to see a jugg/guardian with str stim and str gear kind of makes me think you're dumb.

Actually, it's really strange to see a Guard tank using a Might Stim unless they're doing dailies. All tanks should be using Exo Fort Stims because of the Defense. I'm probably the biggest mainstat tank proponent out there and I still use a Fort Stim.

Also, as to the person you quoted, I have to wonder *when* the tank was dying: if it was during Thermal Tolerance, and he was burning a surv CD and Enure like he should have, it would've been the healer's fault; if he was dying immediately after Thermal Tolerance, it would've been the other tank's fault (or your fault if you didn't bring a second tank; the only tank that can *maybe* manage to one tank HM Xeno is a Shadow thanks to Resilence); if he was dying during Species Comparison because he wasn't kiting the adds and actually tried to tank them with all 10 stacks of the TT debuff, it was his own fault (assuming he knew he was supposed to kite them; if he wasn't told, that's a bit of both of your fault); if he was dying during the Generate Urgency phase, it's not really anyone's fault (that phase will gib tanks like no one's business); if he was dying at pretty much any other time, it was the healer's fault because damage outside of the specifically mentioned circumstances is laughably low.

Incidentally, I ran HM Xeno last night and our main tank interrupted Thermal Tolerance by hitting Force Cloak, and took no stacks. Between this and everybody hiding behind the pillars I didn't have that much healing to do, I spent more time dps'ing.

Just thought I'd mention it, it was an interesting strat.

Incidentally, I ran HM Xeno last night and our main tank interrupted Thermal Tolerance by hitting Force Cloak, and took no stacks. Between this and everybody hiding behind the pillars I didn't have that much healing to do, I spent more time dps'ing.

Just thought I'd mention it, it was an interesting strat.

Exactly what I do when tanking on my Shadow. Drop combat -> Taunt and go back to it. We then only need the second tank for the adds where I kite the group and they taunt them out 1 at a time. Without a Shadow we have the tanks AoE taunt a bit before TT, run out (or Guardian Leap), single target taunt and then LoS behind a pillar when the channel starts.

Overall I think this fight was very badly designed fight since a Shadow can trivialize the mechanic while the other tanks can have a very tough time dealing with it. Factor in the extremely brutal second group of adds needing to be kited and 2 Guardians will struggle while a Shadow can effectively solo tank it.

In terms of gear for SM (or even HM), I'm happy to bring whatever but if someone is undergeared I say:

"Your gear is a little low for the content but I'm happy to give you a shot. If we start having issues I'm going to ask you to step out."

I've yet to have anyone complain about that. Similarly, when I'm on a new less geared alt I say: "I'm a bit undergeared but I've cleared the content and know the fights. If you think my gear is going to be an issue I'm happy to sit out." Have only had group say no and that was for a Columi geared tank in HM KP back when 1.2 hit.

After doing 8-man once, 8-man hardmode once, 16-man SM once and 16-man SM with 9 people, I am under the impression that if you are wearing 50 gear, you are geared well enough for SM. With 6 dps in 16 man we couldn't take the cores down fast enough (only tired once), so the tank took a couple huge hits, but we have great healers and tanks. We more than beat enrage, one shotted it and had no deaths. Give us a extra 5 seconds and I believe we could get the cores down too before the timer was up. Love the cheat button known as inspiration. :p