Question about xp for subs.

funkhouse

My sniper entering Hoth at lvl 36 with being half way to lvl 37 on the xp bar. My question is how is it that i completed all the missions along with my class and only got 2 levels on that planet? I completed both hoth planet and class mission at lvl 38 1/2.

I am a subscriber and i did kill everything in my path to complete my objective. Did not sneak around to aviod to complete missions at all.

Now on my power tech tank i did only my class and recived a full level and half for just doing the class only. And same for my jug. And they started at lvl 36. I skip the mission on quesh just to only do my class.

For all 3 toons i did not use any xp boosts.

I seriously doubt the upcoming digi pac is going to have enough content for 5 levels when i cant even get more then 3 on 1 planet lol.

Are they realy trying to nickle dime to get the players to use xp boosts now? I never had this problem in the past and have played a month after launch for few months. Leveld many many toons and never had this issue before.

I'm currently levelling a guardian and tbh I'm having the exact opposite issue.

So far I've skipped the Taris, Nar'shadda and Balmorra bonus series, totally ignored Quesh and did'nt even bother to finish the last zone on Alderaan, and I'm nearly 41 without having set a foot on Hoth yet.

At this rate i'll hit 50 on Belsavis...

I've always felt that in order to be at the level for your next planet, you have to do the bonus series in addition to all regular missions. If you're playing with a friend or do the heroic missions, bonus series can be skipped and you'll be good. Otherwise it's common to end up a level below your class story mission, though that's rarely an issue really.

Are your characters rested (google it if needed).

Do you run daily flashpoints?

Do you run daily Warzones?

I ask becouse im sub as well, however im always rested, i do flashpoints daily, and sometimes WZ (not much so far). And i cant complain about xp.

Generally if i do class quests + most side quests + planet story its more than enought.

I very often skip Heroics ( not in mood for o iwaiting)

Also in worse case scenerio you can always repeat heroics.

But i suppose that rest + FP + WZ is both easy and effective way to improve your xp issues.

In general if you are at the appropriate level (green/yellow quest) and do all the quests, you get close to one level for each zone (speeder/base) on the planet. This work out to be about 4 to 5 levels a planet.

My guess is you missed some quests.

Were you grouped with a higher level toon?

Edited by Banegio

Not sure what happened in your situation OP. You know the caveats I'm sure, rested xp etc. etc.

I just capped another toon and I zooooomed through doing all class quests and a few planet quests. I was underlevel through out but if it is an indication, my xp gains were sufficient to finish the story with out much trouble. I finished at 47 skipping most side quests etc. etc. So... that tells me that xp gains are where they should be. Maybe even better than expected.

Dunno about you but my Sage is 44 and did a partial Hoth + class and partial Belsavis+ class and am going back Belsavis after wrapping up Hoth. My Sorc hit 50 on Corelia and had done everything on each planet minus bonus series here and there like Nar Shadaa's..

Just doing planetary content (class/planet/side/bonus/heroic quests) without any XP boost and without trying to get rested XP you should have come to Hoth at 39-40.

As for Hoth itself do you remember there's a few AREA quests that need to be discovered ?

I too had a problem with too much xp on my smuggler back in March-April. Up to Balmorra (level 31-35 planet for Republic players) I had done every mission I could find, including all bonus objectives and some heroics. I hadn't spent any effort to avoid trash on my way to objectives, in many cases even actively seeking to fight and kill them. I also had made sure to always log out in a rest zone. By that point I was so seriously overleveled that many missions were gray when I got them, and simply weren't fun because of the lack of challenge.

I started to throttle down my xp gains as much as I could by skipping trash and single-stage bonus objectives and not accumulating any more rest xp (though what I had lasted me until level 50, so this was a wasted effort. I barely managed to enter Corellia before reaching level 50.

Now I'm leveling a consular and have fared much better with xp management. Sneaking naturally makes avoiding trash easier. On Hoth and Belsavis I even noticed I'd fallen slightly behind the curve, receiving missions above my own level. Now I'm level 44 and entering Voss, which is a level 44-48 planet, so all is well and good.

I'm thinking that rest xp combined with a non-sneaky class is the worst offender in this. Somehow you gain it even if you log out in a non-rest zone, so it's almost impossible to avoid unless you make some progress with the character every day. If there was a way to turn off rest xp without becoming F2P, I would use it.

I'm not really sure how you can underlevel as a subscriber unless you play so much that you don't accumulate rested XP.

Just finished leveling my Gunslinger, I didn't do any Heroics or FPs while leveling and skipped the bonus series on Alderaan and Hoth. I did the first 2 1/2 zones on Voss then only the story missions and then 1 set of dailies on Belsavis and Ilum. That left me halfway through level 49 so I went to Corellia and just did the class story missions and hit 50 before I finished Chapter 3. All the way through I was arriving on Planets over leveled and that has been the case with my other characters as well. Its hard work being under level.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Im leveling a vanguard at the moment and have decided not to rest him just to see what happens..

Doing this and completing all quests and bonuses but no flashpoints seems to keep him just on the lvl or 1 above.. Though even that can seem very overpowered in some areas.. For instance "Mountain" a quest boss seems to be have been nerfed so much I swear I finished him with the press of 2 keys.

I'm 46 at quesh :p did every single quest, side quest, most of the single bonus, all 2+ stage bonus, a lot of FP and a lot WZ everyday... and still have over 400k rested xp (heroics I managed to did some as a commando medic with only the companion, now I can just do it because I'm really overleveld)

I like the story and have nuff challenge in WZ I don't really mind... (sometimes it's boring, so I just go to WZ in the mean time :))

that is my first toon... in the next ones (republic ones) I'll probably only skip the heroics and the rested xp after origin world... if I'm underlevel at some point, what I find difficult, I'll just WZ a lot more :D

I'm usually over level for all my planets and I'm luck if I'm not 50 before I reach Voss.

I usually leave my starter planet at 11 and by the time I run my PvP daily, and about 4 BT/Esseles FP's using my XP bonus consumables from starter planet, I always seem to be lvl14 or so before even getting to either DK or Coruscant . Then from their, once I get my spaceship, its a matter of keeping up with space dailies, which are great XP, and doing dailies for FP's and PvP. Then add in normal questing, including bonus series, and heroics. I love being way ahead on each planet it makes the planet quests so much faster when you can mow down the trash. :cool:

I always see people way under level and always just assume there skipping a lot of content. :rak_02:

Edited by Wodaz

My most recent character was a scoundrel. I used stealth, so didn't fight and kill all mobs. No pvp at all. 1 run of Esseles and no other FPs. I hardly did any heroics at all but did do the bonus series on all planets. I even remembered to go back to Alderaan which I'd never done before.

I hit 50 as I left the Corellia spaceport and got the little bit of xp you get for dicovering an area.

I did however do a bit of space using the level 1 upgrades, as that's easy fast XP at low levels. But that probably only got me 1 level.

My XP is almost always showing as rested too. Not through design, but I will tend to log off in cantinas or fleet, then if you don't play for a day or so for whatever reason it fills the bar up. After that it's actually quite difficult to catch it up again.

There have been people going on about being underlevelled for months now, but I really don't get it. I've hit 50 on Corellia on all my toons so far, and been overlevelled for the majority of the game. If I could be bothered to run FPs or had any interest in pvp then it'd just be silly.

It evens out no matter how you do it. If you're underleveled for a planet, you're going to receive more exp per kill and per quest. If you're overleveled, you will receive less. Keep in mind though, that more than 3 levels below the content and you won't be able to damage the mobs very easily.

Two to three levels below the content is optimal for fast leveling.

Edited by TheNevet

Ive said it before and will repeat it here again, its the in-mission bonuses that make or break the leveling curve.

If you do them all, you will basically double the XP you receive per planet, and if you do none, and miss the 3 "after planet bonus series" of Nar Shaddaa, Alderaan, Hoth, and do no pvp and very little FP's you will be below par.

But surely if your below lvl your kills will simply give you higher xp , thus causing you to catch up

Na, the extra xp is not enough to offset the loss from skipping stuff, you will gradually get to a point where it becomes very difficult to kill stuff, or for new players, impossible to kill stuff.

Na, the extra xp is not enough to offset the loss from skipping stuff, you will gradually get to a point where it becomes very difficult to kill stuff, or for new players, impossible to kill stuff.

Yep, been there with my scoundrel several times cuz I keep cloaking past all the enemies lol. Luckily I pvp a lot so it helped catch me up.

With max legacy class mission exp perk and major experience boosts I found that all you need is the class mission and the planet mission to be at level with the content. Throw in some random fps and maybe a space mission or two and you're going to over level stuff easily as a subscriber.

Hell, I skipped the entire Tatooine planet mission and only did my class mission because I was 28 when landed there. Just left Alderaan @ lvl 32 with only class and planet missions done.

It's great since this is will be my third 50 on imperial side so skipping stuff I've already seen makes it much more fun and interesting to see the new stories.

The class missions are what makes leveling alts in this game more fun than in any other mmo I've played. I love that they added ways for you to level with just those 2 main sources of exp.

With max legacy class mission exp perk and major experience boosts I found that all you need is the class mission and the planet mission to be at level with the content. Throw in some random fps and maybe a space mission or two and you're going to over level stuff easily as a subscriber.

Hell, I skipped the entire Tatooine planet mission and only did my class mission because I was 28 when landed there. Just left Alderaan @ lvl 32 with only class and planet missions done.

It's great since this is will be my third 50 on imperial side so skipping stuff I've already seen makes it much more fun and interesting to see the new stories.

The class missions are what makes leveling alts in this game more fun than in any other mmo I've played. I love that they added ways for you to level with just those 2 main sources of exp.

It usually slowed down at 37 or so before F2P, now I think subs got a bit of an XP buff. I like the current speed, as you said it lets you choose what you want to level up. Since I hate Corelia I hope to skip right past that. I don't like any of the later planets much, I think the best parts of this game are the earlier areas.