Star Wars kinda reminds me of......

rpdowning

Advent Rising. I loved that game! It ALMOST seems like they could be in the same universe, Maybe way after Star Wars takes place.

The main character Gideon uses powers similar to the force but a little more potent IMO. He can levitate objects, use a power similar to the sage's disturbance, force field similar to saber ward and much much more.

Aliens see the use of these powers in a religious sort of way. If I remember correctly humans used to be common in the distant past but became elusive and religious figures to other civilizations that populated the galaxy. Humans fled or something to earth where they forgot how to use those powers. They are then hunted down by seekers for fear of humans rising to power.

Since Star Wars happened along time ago in a galaxy far far away, and Advent takes place in our galaxy in our future, Maybe a seperate human civilization found a way to use the power of the force in different ways with no knowledge of what was happening in the past ouside our galaxy.

I know its probably not true and this was just something I thought about recently and I thought it was fun to speculate and share. With all the EU stuff out there its hard to keep track of anything. Though I beleive I read somewhere that E.T was in the same universe as Star Wars so who knows?

Loved Advent Rising, and still a bit pissed that they never finished the Trilogy.

To me, however, I recognize quite a few distinct similarities between Star Wars and the old legend of Lugh of the Long Arm in Irish mythology. Set that in space, and the OT is similar. George looted (yes, I said looted) ideas from nearly every other sci-fi franchise in existence, and even some comic book franchises too.

Lugh = Luke Skywalker

Mananan mac Lir = Obi-Wan Kenobi

The Dark Tyrant = Darth Vader/Palpatine

Now, from sci-fi:

Cloaking Device = Star Trek

Blasters = Flash Gordon

Jedi Order = Green Lantern Corps (interstellar peace keepers with cool weapons and powers)

Sith = Pick a mystical evil organization, and there you have it.

That is what it reminds me of, tbh. George got a lot of his stuff from existing sci-fi and fantasy/legends. Yet, he put it all together and made it original, in spite of all the similarities to other franchises.

Star wars is a living cultural cross refference to about ANY fiction ever created. If you take a close look at the majority of Expanded Universe material it contains a massive plethora of material that enables or creates about every known fictional sub-group. any storyline, trope or what not has been tackled in SW in one form or another. You've got a borg equivalent, you've got starship troopers equivalents, you have zombies, you've got demigod beings, god-figures and chosen ones, you've got demons, a form of hell and heaven (present in the force itself, hell being called Chaos) and much much more.

Also, throughout the years more and more was tackled onto SW's lore making it like the gathered compendium of all possible fiction. If you're really into it, you can create about anything in sw and reason it's existence with already prevalent EU material. They didn't even shy away from gates like in Stargate or ancestor races predating the Rakata (called Celestials and also a form of demigod beings).

Then there's ofcourse the Eastern touch to the entire Jedi / Sith philosophies. Really, SW by now is but a mix-match of all possible fiction given a SW universe overhaul to fit.

'Everything' is possible in star wars as of now, expect perhaps Ewok Mauraders taking over the galaxy with their fluffy-ness

Edited by DanteKardo

tbh, there is no such thing as original content (ok that might be exaggerated, but its not far off the mark)

a few things from frank herberts dune that seem to hae make there way into star wars. star wars being the most religious and political fictitious franchise to come since dune, so in a way you could say the concept of a religious and political battle taking place in space was stolen,,, err i mean borrowed. the planet tatooine looks very similar to the planet dune. the sandworms look like the sarlac, and the hutt cartel always reminds me of the space guild, hutts even look similar to navigators. the term the chosen one

anyway frank herbert was the grandfather of modern day sci-fi, and if its good enough for frank, it should be good enough for anyone (including george)

tbh, there is no such thing as original content (ok that might be exaggerated, but its not far off the mark)

a few things from frank herberts dune that seem to hae make there way into star wars. star wars being the most religious and political fictitious franchise to come since dune, so in a way you could say the concept of a religious and political battle taking place in space was stolen,,, err i mean borrowed. the planet tatooine looks very similar to the planet dune. the sandworms look like the sarlac, and the hutt cartel always reminds me of the space guild, hutts even look similar to navigators. the term the chosen one

anyway frank herbert was the grandfather of modern day sci-fi, and if its good enough for frank, it should be good enough for anyone (including george)

I always throught of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells as the grandfathers of modern day sci-fi, but Frank Herbert is definitely one who redefined it, imo. Tatooine is Arrakis with smaller sand worms. :D