Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

robertthebard
07.08.2019 , 07:13 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by FlatTax View Post
Oh boy. There's been some silliness here since I last posted. Most of it's been addressed in my previous posts, but it may be time to re-summarize soon, for those arriving late and not following the plot.

I'll offer this now: shortly after the launch of 6.0, look for XP boosts to be on the 'featured' and/or 'popular' pages of the cash shop. The proof will be in the pudding when it comes to highly-monetized gearing/progression.
So what is it that you're going to get that I won't? That's P2W in a nutshell, not "I'll get it faster". You have yet to address this, despite claims to the contrary. It seems like you're more concerned about what Player Y has, or might get, and how soon, than anything else.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

FlatTax
07.08.2019 , 02:47 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
So what is it that you're going to get that I won't? That's P2W in a nutshell, not "I'll get it faster". You have yet to address this, despite claims to the contrary. It seems like you're more concerned about what Player Y has, or might get, and how soon, than anything else.
Pay-not-to-wait is a money-laundered pay-to-win transaction.

robertthebard
07.08.2019 , 03:15 PM | #83
Pay-not-to-wait is a money-laundered pay-to-win transaction.
So it is more you're being concerned about what Player Y may get, as opposed to actual P2W. Thanks for the clarification. Your impatience, or jealousy of someone else getting something a few hours sooner than you does not qualify as P2W, it has another name, that I can't use here, but it ends in envy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

ZionHalcyon
07.08.2019 , 03:51 PM | #84
The last Dev-stream was pretty clear; a percentage of XP will be earned concurrently as CXP (edit: in 6.0), and they confirmed the continued use of boosts.
And once again, StevetheCynic is proven wrong.

KoriVash
07.08.2019 , 05:43 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzsi View Post
Isn't CXP being scrapped in 6.0? Changed to Renown XP instead?
That was my understanding as well. I guess it may be a case of CXP until you get to level 75. I got the impression same as you though that CXP was gone the day 6.0 came.

Points earned for conquest should just switch from one to the other once 6.0 comes out. Lower levels should not change at all.

FlatTax
07.14.2019 , 05:35 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
So it is more you're being concerned about what Player Y may get, as opposed to actual P2W. Thanks for the clarification. Your impatience, or jealousy of someone else getting something a few hours sooner than you does not qualify as P2W, it has another name, that I can't use here, but it ends in envy.
No, other players aren't my concern.

Let's cover some basics: The optimal game experience is the one sold to you. Developers will never intentionally sell anything that reduces engagement, and their goal is to recurringly monetize us.

If a game monetizes its gearing and progression with microtransactions, the non-MTX experience is definitionally sabotaged, to incentivize those transactions. Period.

My problem is paying $155.88 a year, year after year, and having my experience degraded by MTX-fed gearing and progression. It's pay-to-win, and 6.0 is doubling-down with its need for two simultaneous consumables to un-nerf the game.

And no, the degree to which MTX-fed progression and gearing can be circumvented isn't meaningful, because it's a moral problem, regardless of degree. If it's 'not so bad' now, we're clearly being groomed for more abuse when the lights go out. None of us deserve to get FIFA'd in the dark.

I won't even get started on selling gambling products.

Business ethics matter. We all deserve better.
(woah, the divine, golden glow of truth)

lightSaberAddiCt
07.14.2019 , 06:59 PM | #87
No, other players aren't my concern.

Let's cover some basics: The optimal game experience is the one sold to you. Developers will never intentionally sell anything that reduces engagement, and their goal is to recurringly monetize of us.

If a game monetizes its gearing and progression with microtransactions, the non-MTX experience is definitionally sabotaged, to incentivize those transactions. Period.

My problem is paying $155.88 a year, year after year, and having my experience degraded by MTX-fed gearing and progression. It's pay-to-win, and 6.0 is doubling-down with its need for two simultaneous consumables to un-nerf the game.

And no, the degree to which MTX-fed progression and gearing can be circumvented isn't meaningful, because it's a moral problem, regardless of degree. If it's 'not so bad' now, we're clearly being groomed for more abuse when the lights go out. None of us deserve to get FIFA'd in the dark.

I won't even get started on selling gambling products.

Business ethics matter. We all deserve better.
(woah, the divine, golden glow of truth)
Although I agree in your sentiment in regards to Loot Boxes (honestly I think they should just burn in hell), the definition of P2W is if you can purchase gear, with higher stats that benefit your character. In regards to EXP boosting items, you are given them on a regular basis in game. The sets of gear, weapons etc are 0 stat (well besides the crystals) so therefor are just eye candy and not P2W.

But what FIFA is doing, is completely, COMPLETELY different then what is offered in the CM as of now. When 6.0 comes out, if this changes, then I will be the first to say "good call" to you. But if not, I still see no factual evidence besides a personal opinion to show that this game is P2W.

It seems to me, that you just have a real mad on about any online store, period.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

Phazonfreak
07.15.2019 , 01:40 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzsi View Post
Isn't CXP being scrapped in 6.0? Changed to Renown XP instead?
Quote: Originally Posted by KoriVash View Post
That was my understanding as well. I guess it may be a case of CXP until you get to level 75. I got the impression same as you though that CXP was gone the day 6.0 came.

Points earned for conquest should just switch from one to the other once 6.0 comes out. Lower levels should not change at all.
you are both correct:

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey!

I am seeing this question still pop up quite a bit so let me clarify. Renown is a max level supplementary gearing system, you will not start earning RXP until you are level 75. A lot of the things we talk about relating to gear being relevant to your character, such as targeting your item rating, are mostly referencing end game gearing only.

The reason for this is that throughout the rest of the game, the vast majority of Mission rewards, especially story, already drop gear intended for your character. Some content also already drops "relevant" gear such as from daily mission crates. What we are talking about is improving the gearing experience at endgame, there are not many changes planned for the rest of the experience.

That being said, if there are particular places that you feel lower level gearing is particularly rough, let us know!

-eric

FlatTax
07.15.2019 , 04:06 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by lightSaberAddiCt View Post
But what FIFA is doing, is completely, COMPLETELY different then what is offered in the CM as of now. When 6.0 comes out, if this changes, then I will be the first to say "good call" to you. But if not, I still see no factual evidence besides a personal opinion to show that this game is P2W.
It's a difference of degree, not principle. SWTOR has both of FIFA's worst ethics problems:

1. The sale of advantage-producing consumables
2. The sale of gambling products

The bright line has long since been crossed, and we'd be morally small people to not say something about it.

FlatTax
07.17.2019 , 03:25 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

So, I have good news on that front. The drop rates of masterwork gear from Command Crates is going to be increasing in 5.10.3 next week. That gear will still be rare overall, but it will start dropping more often.

Thanks all.

-eric
Just saw this from late May, and it's delicious. This week's patch, anecdotally, seems to have dramatically improved drops, too.

I don't see how anyone can look at a double-monetized, stat-providing loot drop being sweetened, and not see a problem.