Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any chance that crates will be addressed before 6.0??? They are boring and depressing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Any chance that crates will be addressed before 6.0??? They are boring and depressing
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Loadsamonie
05.18.2019 , 06:47 PM | #21
I've found a use for them on my Guardian. I need to compile a set of DPS gear for my alt spec, so I'm hoarding crates until I get a good 100 or so, then I'm going to mass open them all at once looking for Vigilance 248's. Duplicates I'll rip the mods out of for my tank gear.

OlBuzzard
05.18.2019 , 07:25 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
Yikes. Well, not going to pretty it up, if this is true and they dont make wzs max bolster, it been a fun 5 years (sorta... well 2 years ago it was a fun 3 years) but I'll be gone thats for sure.

grinding pve level of time for equal gear is why this expansion failed for so much of the pvp community. I hope they dont do anything rash... it would be so easy.. wouldnt it bioware.
PvP gear has to be one of the toughest to get right for about any MMO. I remember a few years ago (not THAT may years.. but a few now) WoW screwed up big time. The Rogue was so overpowered it was rediculous. At any rate that is no excuse for not really putting a LOT of added attention to that aspect of this game.

Even though I only do PvE .. I have been envolved in PvP games before (including WoW) .. and know how important it is to any MMO community. If I had to wait an extra few weeks to get my part of the new 6.0 it would be worth it as a whole to see the PvP community come back to life again. I really do understand just how important it is to the overall health of the game as a whole !

Best of luck to those who are holding on to hope with the new release !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

phalczen
05.18.2019 , 07:51 PM | #23
Yikes. Well, not going to pretty it up, if this is true and they dont make wzs max bolster, it been a fun 5 years (sorta... well 2 years ago it was a fun 3 years) but I'll be gone thats for sure.

grinding pve level of time for equal gear is why this expansion failed for so much of the pvp community. I hope they dont do anything rash... it would be so easy.. wouldnt it bioware.
Well, they've made efforts to emphasize that you will be able to play your way. Besides sounding like a Burger King commercial, I presume that means expanding on the nature of:
  • earning the new Spoils of War "crates" through pvp activities
  • pvp-sourced tactical item drops, or pvp-only occurrences for the set bonus gear you might want

Musco apparently gave an example in the interview along the lines of, and this was not an actual example, but, say, a tactical item that only dropped during an event, like the Rakghoul event. We don't really know what these tactical items are going to be yet, aside from the directive for us to brainstorm and be crazy with ideas/suggestions. But I could imagine that if someone wanted a specific Tactical item X to benefit them in pvp, that perhaps said Tactical Item X could only drop as a pvp reward, or require certain pvp objectives (like achievements, valor, a currency, a certain # of wins, whatever); or be more likely to occur from pvp activities.

I think that bringing Bolster to the max rating and still having a "gear grind" or gear progression for tactical items or set bonuses you might want for pvp is probably more desirable than a system which mandates pve activies to efficiently/expeditiously get pvp gear. And balancing pvp around utilities, tactical items, and set bonuses seems a reasonable alternative.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Seterade
05.18.2019 , 08:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Well, they've made efforts to emphasize that you will be able to play your way. Besides sounding like a Burger King commercial, I presume that means expanding on the nature of:
  • earning the new Spoils of War "crates" through pvp activities
  • pvp-sourced tactical item drops, or pvp-only occurrences for the set bonus gear you might want

Musco apparently gave an example in the interview along the lines of, and this was not an actual example, but, say, a tactical item that only dropped during an event, like the Rakghoul event. We don't really know what these tactical items are going to be yet, aside from the directive for us to brainstorm and be crazy with ideas/suggestions. But I could imagine that if someone wanted a specific Tactical item X to benefit them in pvp, that perhaps said Tactical Item X could only drop as a pvp reward, or require certain pvp objectives (like achievements, valor, a currency, a certain # of wins, whatever); or be more likely to occur from pvp activities.

I think that bringing Bolster to the max rating and still having a "gear grind" or gear progression for tactical items or set bonuses you might want for pvp is probably more desirable than a system which mandates pve activies to efficiently/expeditiously get pvp gear. And balancing pvp around utilities, tactical items, and set bonuses seems a reasonable alternative.
I made a post on the pvp forum to this effect, and I am a supporter of this idea.

hey! tbf, "tactical" items are an improvement. eventually all games progress and items needed for end game go up. I mean it may be more to do, but whos to say itll be hard?

want to hear some serial wishful thinking that I would do if I ran swtor?

a) set wz bolster to 1 tier above nim gear and make set bonuses the only deciding factor. in this case this tactical items would only serve to make cllasses unique and fun. like the skill trees did

or b) tactical item will not work in pvp zones, and/or there will be seperate tactical pvp item that Only work in pvp zones, and in traditional expertise grind design will be far far cheaper and less grindy than pve TI, maybe even built in to expertise sets.

I personaly would go with A, B is more settleing for what is more likely to happen
PS: would you mind either dming me the link to this interview, or posting it? I would very interested in this and I was unable to find it on my own.

Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
This week's BadFeelingPodcast referenced an interview the devs did for one of the bloggers. I don't have the exact quote, but my recollection is something along the lines of "there's still going to be crates of some kind."

phalczen
05.19.2019 , 08:29 AM | #25
I realized just now it wasnít in the BadFeelingPodcast it was in the latest episode of Ootinicast. Itís pretty far into the episode. Sorry about that.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Seterade
05.19.2019 , 10:59 AM | #26
https://ootinicast.com/2019/05/ootinicast-episode-361/

1:09:xx

I can live with max bolster. I would even greatly enjoy it.

SteveTheCynic
05.19.2019 , 02:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by FourPawnBenoni View Post
That's one of the points I made. A piece of 246 gear, is only like 6 UC's. You need 500 just for one crystal. Do you realize how many crates you have to open to get 500 UC's? The rate is just way too slow and makes opening crates depressing, not rewarding.
it has long and long and long been the case that they treat crate gear as a *bonus* above and beyond the other ways of getting it, and the very low UC gain from disintegration is part and parcel of that. In their view, you are supposed to play relevant PvE or PvP content to gain gear (Ops Tokens) or UCs (PvP rewards). The disintegration UCs are a bonus, not the (designed) principal method of gaining gear.

And if you're not playing that sort of content, gear above 228-purple crafted is unimportant. Well, that's the theory, anyway. The PvP bolster is (currently) below max-gear (for a while after 248s were launched, PvP bolster was 250), which is consistent with that theory, except that dedicated PvPers can't get 258s without at least playing through Ossus once.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

EricMusco
05.20.2019 , 12:19 PM | #28 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

So, I have good news on that front. The drop rates of masterwork gear from Command Crates is going to be increasing in 5.10.3 next week. That gear will still be rare overall, but it will start dropping more often.

Thanks all.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

OlBuzzard
05.20.2019 , 01:59 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

So, I have good news on that front. The drop rates of masterwork gear from Command Crates is going to be increasing in 5.10.3 next week. That gear will still be rare overall, but it will start dropping more often.

Thanks all.

-eric
SWEET !!
Wooo Hoooo !

TYVM
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Batwer
05.20.2019 , 03:11 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Thanks all.

-eric
From 0.0000001% to 0.0000005%?
You! Yes, exactly you! Click me:
http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6