Who Thinks a HIGH Production Value trailer come out before this year ends?

Decxswx

One thing that we all know is that high productions value trailers are an inaccurate representation of the actual game play and the quality of the game, but they look awesome and bring in new players right?

I will be highly optimistic and gonna say we will most likely get a trailer before the year ends

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I doubt it, since they're putting a lot less effort in marketing this time round. Heck I haven't seen any adverts or articles for swtor anywhere. The hype generation is at zero currently.

Cinematic trailer would be a nice surprise though. The kotfe/et ones were very enjoyable.

I doubt they'll have the budget for that, I'd be surprised if they did a new cinematic trailer. But then again I never thought they would do cinematic trailers again and they did, so who knows. I'd keep my expectations low however as I think it's likely we'll get a cool gameplay trailer but not a cinematic one, like RotHC or SOR.

I doubt they'll have the budget for that, I'd be surprised if they did a new cinematic trailer. But then again I never thought they would do cinematic trailers again and they did, so who knows. I'd keep my expectations low however as I think it's likely we'll get a cool gameplay trailer but not a cinematic one, like RotHC or SOR.

I thought that before KotXX,as well. But, they pulled it out then, so I expect it this time, too. Since they won't take the time to make the real content, at least they'll pay someone to make the trailer.

One thing that we all know is that high productions value trailers are an inaccurate representation of the actual game play and the quality of the game, but they look awesome and bring in new players right?

I will be highly optimistic and gonna say we will most likely get a trailer before the year ends

I really hope not. More important to use that time getting their game in order rather then some meaningless video.

I really hope not. More important to use that time getting their game in order rather then some meaningless video.

Those videos are made by a different studio - Blur I believe - and are paid for with EA marketing funds. They literally have zero impact on game production or development.

Edited by kodrac

Those videos are made by a different studio - Blur I believe - and are paid for with EA marketing funds. They literally have zero impact on game production or development.

Indeed.

Personally though.. I hope they don't do one.. because it sets up expectations with players who think what they see in the trailer = what they will see in game. In addition.. it becomes a favorite whipping-post in the forum for people complaining that they spent money on a trailer rather then on content, which is a red-herring... but it gets worked to death in the forum anyway.

Edited by Andryah

Imagine if they announced as part of 6.0.........

"We are porting the game to the UE4 engine, to give us more control over, and quicker production of new content."

SYKE!

"Due to continuing decline in the market, we will be sunsetting SWTOR in Q4 2019, and we will be reassigning the developing staff to other new and exciting projects."

Edited by Holocron

Indeed.

Personally though.. I hope they don't do one.. because it sets up expectations with players who think what they see in the trailer = what they will see in game. In addition.. it becomes a favorite whipping-post in the forum for people complaining that they spent money on a trailer rather then on content, which is a red-herring... but it gets worked to death in the forum anyway.

I'll be the first one :)

I never understood the point of spending so much money on something that was so obviously not representative. I think those trailers are generally impressive-looking and well made, but I never felt that they added anything. I know I might not be representative of the target audience in this case, though.

But the question posed is.. who "thinks" one will come out (and before the end of the year), rather than who wants it. I find it hard to judge, because I will admit to not having expected the ones we got before FE, but.... I still don't expect to see one for the next expansion, and.. I also have my doubts as to whether this would be this year still even if it did happen... but.. they've been known to do things I didn't expect or understand before. So.. who knows. :p

Edited by cyrusramsey

But the question posed is.. who "thinks" one will come out (and before the end of the year), rather than who wants it. I find it hard to judge, because I will admit to not having expected the ones we got before FE, but.... I still don't expect to see one for the next expansion, and.. I also have my doubts as to whether this would be this year still even if it did happen... but.. they've been known to do things I didn't expect or understand before. So.. who knows. :p

It is very likely already baked-in to the marketing budgets.. so we will likely see one. It would serve EA for more than just a teaser to 6.0.. so I can see them doing one. But as I said.. I wish they wouldn't.

Edited by Andryah

It is very likely already baked-in to the marketing budgets.. so we will likely see one. It would serve EA for more than just a teaser to 6.0.. so I can see them doing one. But as I said.. I wish they wouldn't.

Whatever they do (or don't do) will be bashed mercilessly in the forums, anyway. The trailers are good and are really the only things that generate any semblance of excitement in this game. I'm not trying to bash the game, but the fact is that the content is severely lacking. Anything that will attract more players is good. Besides, as you noted, it's likely already in the budget. They know they need to advertise "major" updates and they will do it through video. Those videos probably get more views than anything else they could throw the money at. It's not like they would hire a couple of devs in place of a video.

Indeed.

You know that it doesn't really matter if they make one or not. The floggings will continue regardless. If they make one then a certain group of people will be on here doing as you say, complaining about wasted dev time, money, expectation vs reality, etc., but if they don't make one the very same group of people will be on here complaining about that. Going on an on about how it means the game is dead, the dev's don't care about the product, EA has pillaged BW, they don't have the funds/budget, etc. That group of people will whip up a red-herring frappe regardless of what BW does. So, since you can't please them and they're going to drone on and on ad nauseam anyhow BW might as well make one.

With KotFE and KotET, the marketing was vastly larger scale. They were doing weekly developer streams, they were actively talking to the players, they were hyping the living heck out of the "return to Bioware storytelling" and they marketed those expansions more heavily than any others in the game's history.

Unfortunately, the trailers were really the better part of that expansion for a lot of people. They did indeed build a ton of hype, but I think most would argue that they failed to live up to that hype. So much so that they had to cancel the third part of those chapters and totally reverse course, making Iokath a new daily area and start work (slowly) on a raid.

They might release a cinematic for the new expansion, it's tough to say. Whether or not I think they should? I honestly think it really doesn't matter at this point and won't make much difference even if they do. For many long time players, it's a "fool me once" scenario. We won't be fooled again.

Honestly, a trailer would probably make me happier than whatever the content ends up being.

QFT

Whatever they do (or don't do) will be bashed mercilessly in the forums, anyway. The trailers are good and are really the only things that generate any semblance of excitement in this game. I'm not trying to bash the game, but the fact is that the content is severely lacking.

Agreed. I rewatched them recently and thought they were pretty great. Albeit, I watched them out of order because BW can't be bothered to put them in chronological order in their own game. Still, Return [which was the third one down] made me like Nico Okarr [Hylo Visz' fangirl reaction during the intro cutscene in-game notwithstanding]

Edited by Ardrossan

Those trailers are typically exorbitantly expensive to make- and it shows, with how impressive they usually are. But while a company with a well-loved, well-known or long-awaited product could probably get away with blowing that on what can be argued as a pretty effective marketing tool, I don't think Bioware has the resources to do so right now.

And even if EA decided to extend their SWTOR budget for the sake of a trailer, I'd be perplexed as to why they couldn't just put that money toward the game itself. It's their prerogative to choose, but personally, I don't need a fancy trailer- the game is obviously pretty underfunded, so if they forewent the trailer entirely in order to produce an actual, sizeable amount of content/updates, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Edited by SourOrange