Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Assasin tank in 2.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Assasin tank in 2.0

Vaidinah
03.01.2013 , 05:08 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
furthermore, raiding isn't about just standing there and taking it. you have to have situational awareness and know when to use what abilities. this has always meant that shadow/assassin tanking required a higher skill curve and still will. what has happened in the last few months is ridiculous gear inflation that made tanking a joke to the current content.
Higher skill curve than what? I assume you mean Powertechs because Assassins don't require much skill compared to a Juggernaut. I use both my hybrid Juggernaut and Assassin tanks on the same content and literally the only skill you have to think significantly about on live with the Assassin is Force Shroud.

Personally, I have no issues with the current changes on 2.0 as they make the normal braindead 4 button rotation for doing damage as an Assassin tank far more interesting. The change to Dark Ward, though, negated one of the very few weaknesses Assassins had, but it was understandable given how ridiculous it was to tank large groups.

Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
if shadows/assassins are the most populous tank, then having them also be the hardest to play to achieve the same mitigation as the other two tank types doesn't just hurt those individual players, but the community on the whole as the already-present stigma gets worse during a gear reset and fewer tanks become available in the queue. you already see complaints of hours long waits for dps players. now imagine if healers are waiting an hour or longer.
I'm not sure what server you are on, but I see far more Juggernaut tanks on the Harbinger than anything else. This is despite the fact that they are clearly the worst tanks on live and have been for a very long time. The appeal of the class is strong, though, so lots of people who think they look cool start one. Only to find in the end that they have work so much harder to do their job than any other tank so most give up.

So if you actually believe what you said, Bioware should go ahead and buff Juggernauts to the best. Of course, both of us are relying on anecdotal evidence and I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but you get the idea.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

MGNMTTRN
03.02.2013 , 02:50 PM | #32
If your kinetic ward is evaporating shortly after you enter combat and you are stuck waiting 8 seconds or so for it to come off cooldown, you need to rethink your kinetic ward rhythm. You want to put up kinetic ward several seconds before you pull a pack, so that by the time your stacks hit 0, kinetic ward is off cooldown and you can refresh the ward. This was true even before 2.0, so I cringe when I imagine that some shadow tanks still have not figured this out after a year.

Pre-2.0, kinetic ward timing required you to know when your current kinetic ward was going to fall off, and you had to time the ward cast so it wouldn't fall off while you were channeling telekinetic throw and so that you didn't waste force (hit 100 force OR use your new ward to shield when your old ward could have shielded the attack) or leave yourself unable to get off a Slow Time or Project (low force).

Post-2.0, the knowledge of kinetic ward uptime and cooldown becomes much more important for trash pulls, since more attacks can be shielded. But force management is not an issue anymore. Before trash pulls you will still want to refresh kinetic ward, wait a few seconds, and THEN pull a pack so that by the time your old ward evaporates, you can refresh a new one.

I suspect that in PvE boss fights these changes (0 force, 15 stacks) will make shadows a class that can essentially push a button to gain +20% shield, at 100% uptime and at close to 0 cost. Now instead of managing force for optimal kinetic ward usage you have to decide whether 20% shield or <9% absorb is better... and that's not a hard decision at all.

Taleek
03.03.2013 , 05:13 PM | #33
Ah, using it before a fight makes sense. I apologize if I made you cringe, I have very little experience playing my Assassin tank :P
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

YaanaOhtar
03.30.2013 , 09:48 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
Higher skill curve than what? I assume you mean Powertechs because Assassins don't require much skill compared to a Juggernaut. I use both my hybrid Juggernaut and Assassin tanks on the same content and literally the only skill you have to think significantly about on live with the Assassin is Force Shroud.

Personally, I have no issues with the current changes on 2.0 as they make the normal braindead 4 button rotation for doing damage as an Assassin tank far more interesting. The change to Dark Ward, though, negated one of the very few weaknesses Assassins had, but it was understandable given how ridiculous it was to tank large groups.

I'm not sure what server you are on, but I see far more Juggernaut tanks on the Harbinger than anything else. This is despite the fact that they are clearly the worst tanks on live and have been for a very long time. The appeal of the class is strong, though, so lots of people who think they look cool start one. Only to find in the end that they have work so much harder to do their job than any other tank so most give up.

So if you actually believe what you said, Bioware should go ahead and buff Juggernauts to the best. Of course, both of us are relying on anecdotal evidence and I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but you get the idea.
Check again, Shadow / Assassin tank is the hardest tank to control, Jug / Guard only hard because they keep losing threat while shadow wont. 4 Button ? with the lowest armor rate we have to know how to use our self heal to best, you think you could just use TLK any time is fine ? you think just pop Force Shroud at right time is fine ? A good shadow tank know how to optimize our TLK and Optimize the cool down of Force shroud. A bad shadow tank will die lead to wipe, a bad Guardian tank will lose threat.

Jug tank are alot in your server because of smash/ sweep monkey, check in ever pvp post, your server has a very high rate of monkey there.