Building a computer for SWTOR

Huez

I found a link on walmart that lets you build a gaming desktop at a starting price of 450$

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more-with-Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade-Option/15374646

Can I build a desktop that can run on High settings with these products?

Any help is appreciated. :]

At the $450 price point I'd say no. They use some fine parts at the mid high point. evga gskill etc are respectable names

Doin a quick few builds tells me they are not great deals by any means either. THe fact you get the cases psu scares me a bit to. if you dont know anything about parts and have no other computer stores available I'd go i5 or higher, any ram, any burner,any hdd, the gtx 630 should be able to pull it off, but i really dont know my nvidia cards since my 6800sli setup. The 77xx ati card certainly should.

also keep in mind the wide spread performance issues being claimed with high end parts.

I was getting 20 ish fps with i7@4.5,16 gigs ram, 6970 crossfire, ssd hdds's etc.

After tryin every configuration possible I was ready to give up, but my monitor saved me. I was using my 27" monitor to play but I have a smaller 120hz monitor as well( play fps's on) , when I removed the refresh rate in a .ini file and changed the max fps to 120. BAM!!! 100 fps max settings.

(SWTOR) caps at 100 for whatever reason.

Edited by diskofet

well it'll work for a while, but for a computer worth building you want to be looking at quad core processor, and some of the other components will want updating soon too, for minimum price decent spec your probably looking at doubling the cost or more.

Over in uk, some magazines suggest best price for spec builds, and they tend to be about £900, I'm assuming that america gets cheaper prices on components but still would be $900+

• 3 weeks later...
I found a link on walmart that lets you build a gaming desktop at a starting price of 450$

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more-with-Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade-Option/15374646

Forget about it... those are AMD based, SWTOR doesn't work well with AMD.

MMORPG need CPU power more than GPU.

If you want high - Core i5 above 3.2, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 650 ... is a minimum :)

$450 doesn't buy you much, sorry. :(

SWTOR runs just fine on a medium level computer.

Since the engine/bioware's code is flawed, there will always be lag spikes, stuttering, etc, no matter how good your machine is.

Also, someone said that SWTOR doesn't run well on AMD and I can confirm this.

If you want a computer specifically for this game, get Intel.

Intel i5 or above, 8 GB or more memory, ATI 6870 or Nvidia 660 or above, if you have a 20/22 inch screen.

Also invest in a solid state hard drive. Those improve load times dramatically.

I built a system with those specs + mainboard and noise dampening enclosure for 750 US dollars. I already had a good monitor and peripherals so I saved some $ there.

This will play the game with all graphical settings at maximum and you will get an average 60 fps. If you are in an outdoor area with 16-24+ other characters on the screen it will dip to 20-35 fps.

As others have said, the game engine could be coded better so you will have stutters and a few hiccups here and there no matter how good your system is.

Edited by Projawa

http://www.ibuypower.com/Info/revolt/customize.aspx

^ New style gaming pc ibuypower just launched. I've bought products from them in the past and they have been great. Also the site has an option to show you how the machine will run a game. On the right side of the screen while customizing it, it normally starts with Black OPs II just click and scroll down swtor is a more demanding game than Black Ops.

I'm running an AMD 6950 2GB and never once had any sort of issues with it. From what i've seen up in the customer service forums some Nvidia cards get flickering screens.

dont perpetuate bs. amd works much better for MMOS. you are gpu intensive in mmos - you dont want latency. even if you implement a cluster of 4-5 computers thinking that it will get you over the '200 toons in stormwind' lag, it wont - you are limited with your connection and how it handles arbitrarily arriving data. even if you have 100 mbps, still a random toon appearing out of the corner will introduce delay.

and anyone who pays for a nvidia gpu instead of cheaper and comparably more powerful ati ones is a fool, and i have a bridge to sell them - its in san francisco.

im still using Phenom 965 4 core in a bulldozer capable 990fx mobo, with 6950 2 gb (unlocked). and im flying high still.

hell, im even able to run mount and blade warband under wine in linux with these specs and fly high with it.

ps : btw i STILL am using xp 32 bit and running the game by being limited to 3 gb ram despite having 8 gigs of ram, because i like the font sharpness and types in xp. and i am able to run any game with these specs spectacularly - i even do 3d gaming (using tridef) with a 42 inch lg tv.

Edited by Enako