For BioWare from russian community

TheAkumurA

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People like you always baffle me. You say this as if it's easy to do quality voice acting, or cheap. It would cost millions and take months and then another long while to code it in.

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about here.

http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/how-much-do-voice-actors-earn/

None big star name voice actors make 50K a year.

Now compare it to a programmer

It also has nothing to do with coding but just changing the sound files from English to Russian. Not saying you need to change the text in game other than your option picks

http://www.cbsalary.com/blog/category/Computer-Programmer-Salary

around 76K a year.

Good solid voice acting is not that expensive unless you want the big names

Edited by Xatasha

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about here.

http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/how-much-do-voice-actors-earn/

None big star name voice actors make 50K a year.

Now compare it to a programmer

It also has nothing to do with coding but just changing the sound files from English to Russian. Not saying you need to change the text in game other than your option picks

http://www.cbsalary.com/blog/category/Computer-Programmer-Salary

around 76K a year.

Good solid voice acting is not that expensive unless you want the big names

You forgot renting the studios. Paying for the directors. Paying for someone to translate them PROPERLY. You can't just "replace the sound files" for gods sake. In case you've missed it, the animations match what they are saying and many Russian words are completely different in length, you would have to redo pretty much all cut scenes.

Let's say we get some random voice actors. Do you have any idea how many different voices there are? It is designed so that you never talk to your own voice, nor the voice of your companions. 5x8+droids+male/female=58 just for characters and companions. then add every other voice in the game. ALL OF THEM require studios and professional directors.

Please PROPERLY think through what you say.

E: I have absolutely nothing against such a thing, but realistically, it's never going to happen.

Edited by Jandi

You forgot renting the studios. Paying for the directors. Paying for someone to translate them PROPERLY. You can't just "replace the sound files" for gods sake. In case you've missed it, the animations match what they are saying and many Russian words are completely different in length, you would have to redo pretty much all cut scenes.

Let's say we get some random voice actors. Do you have any idea how many different voices there are? It is designed so that you never talk to your own voice, nor the voice of your companions. 5x8+droids+male/female=58 just for characters and companions. then add every other voice in the game. ALL OF THEM require studios and professional directors.

Please PROPERLY think through what you say.

E: I have absolutely nothing against such a thing, but realistically, it's never going to happen.

Dude, you just being a Debbie Downer. The fact is it won't cost that much nor will it need tons of coding. Plus a voice actor can do more than one voice. Please think before you post

Dude, you just being a Debbie Downer. The fact is it won't cost that much nor will it need tons of coding. Plus a voice actor can do more than one voice. Please think before you post

I am not against this.... But the poster you are arguing with is correct.

Unless you want them to just slap some voice overs on the frames they already have.... then sure it might not be too much.

But if you watch, when they talk, it almost matches what they are saying ( I say almost because nothing is perfect)

Yes I would love for them to put this in every lang. and then everyone could be happy about it.

But in reality......... not going to happen. As it would cost WAY too much.

I am not against this.... But the poster you are arguing with is correct.

Unless you want them to just slap some voice overs on the frames they already have.... then sure it might not be too much.

But if you watch, when they talk, it almost matches what they are saying ( I say almost because nothing is perfect)

Yes I would love for them to put this in every lang. and then everyone could be happy about it.

But in reality......... not going to happen. As it would cost WAY too much.

No he isn't correct. Do you really think a large gaming company doesn't have a studio? Voice over just like a chinese kung fu film. Quick and easy. The idea is to let people understand what is being spoken in their own language. It won't cost that much or do you really think kung fu films spend that much to do simple voice overs?

No he isn't correct. Do you really think a large gaming company doesn't have a studio? Voice over just like a chinese kung fu film. Quick and easy. The idea is to let people understand what is being spoken in their own language. It won't cost that much or do you really think kung fu films spend that much to do simple voice overs?

Voice Overs? Gives me bad memories on very bad $1 movies at Wallmart with horrible voices.

it is going to be VERY difficult to do it right. The voices, that would be easy, but the whole script needs to be rewritten because the grammar that is used in the Russian Language (cyrillic)(not to mention all the passives, adjectives, nouns etc...). It will be very expensive. But if there is some Wealthy Russian banker/manager, I am all for it!

Edited by TwelveofFifteen

Voice Overs? Gives me bad memories on very bad $1 movies at Wallmart with horrible voices.

it is going to be VERY difficult to do it right. The voices, that would be easy, but the whole script needs to be rewritten because the grammar that is used in the Russian Language (cyrillic)(not to mention all the passives, adjectives, nouns etc...). It will be very expensive. But if there is some Wealthy Russian banker/manager, I am all for it!

Not as expensive as you think. Most everything will be sound files and a little bit of writing for the options you have to pick. See you won't need subtitles with all the voice acting

LOL! A kung fu film has a ridiculously tiny amount of dialogue compared to SWTOR. Not only that, but the voices are off by MILES and usually done by 3 dudes with different pitches. You should have said from the get go that you want some D rate **** with some crack addict spewing random lines for 2 bucks an hour instead of voice acting.

Luckily for everyone, BioWare still have some pride in their work, and would never release such garbage.

I'd rather have you guys on English server and use this chance to improve English while enjoying the game. Also MMOs in their way break barriers between cultures and nations, opening our minds and sneaking players through historical or political barriers before they even realize.

Just because of that I am against full localization that will allow you to hide in isolated servers, I want you on my EN server. :)

PS. sorry but saying that russian localization will reduce czech and polish communications is same as saying that french language will do same for german and english.

Edited by BogyOne