When do Commando actually become a DPS class?

Dabrixmgp

It certainly isnt 50. Been watching PvP videos to decide whether to go Commando or Vanguard. Also for lolz watched a Jugg/Guardian video. They are hitting for 6-7k crits on an attack thats instant. Snipers/GS also seem to get some sick crits as well. Then every Commando video I watch Grav round hardly tickles anyone. Most crits are around 2500 with the rare 3K and has a cast time. So if not at level 50 when do they become an actual DPS class?

You must be new to this.

People have been ************ about the poor usability of commandos in pvp for ages.

In pug games there isn't really an issue and in general it is a L2P matter, I can be in the top 3 dps any game of the day in a pug match.

In organised matches it's a load of ***** because your main attacks have this 1.5s warning before doing any damage called a cast bar and you have no protection against interrupts, physics, leapers, blinds, stuns, CC, stealth abilities

All of which either interrupt and/or also put your main attacks on a cooldown.

So you are constantly broadcasting a signal that your damage can be crippled and you have no way of protecting against this and you have nothing very good you can use while your main attack is crippled.

THE BIGGEST NUMBER in one hit is not why certain classes are better, a gunnery commando can do horrific damage if you let it cast, the grav rounds don't kill you, it's the massive ramp up of damage they create on full auto, high impact bolt and demo round.

But if they can't cast grav rounds those damage buffs never happen.

Anyway, that's PVP, mobs are idiots and don't gang up to interrupt you properly so commandos are really quite good in PVE.

Thus endeth the introduction to commandos.

Edited by Gyronamics

Anyway, that's PVP, mobs are idiots and don't gang up to interrupt you properly so commandos are really quite good in PVE..

Yea but this is more of a PvP focused game. I mean in all those Star Wars movies I dont recall them raiding much. But I do remember a lot of PvP between the Republic and Empire. In fact I dont understand how PvE even fits into this game when everyone knows the main focus is the conflict between the Empire and Republic.

Most PVPers would tell you it's PVE focused game.

Anyway commando is great in PVE in all of the raids really.

PVP we're absolute bottom of the foodchain. Been that way awhile, gonna keep being that way. Too little utility and no way to reliably get damage out if the enemy notices you there.

But I do remember a lot of PvP between the Republic and Empire.

If you want to get technical, none of the characters in the movies are "players" so it's not so much PvP as it is EvE. In addition, PvP is kind of predicated upon a conflict between equals. None of the movies really show much in the way of "rivals fighting rivals": in the first trilogy, Luke is obviously outclassed by both Vader and the Emperor, which is much more applicable to PvE than PvP; in the second trilogy, the closest you get to rivals for the heroes are Grievous and Dooku, who spend a lot more of their time directing large scale conflicts compared to the heroes who are mowing through hordes of minions to get to the big guys, which is, once again, way more applicable to PvE as PvP.

Just because the villains are well developed characters and have names and backstories doesn't mean that it's PvP; it just means that the villains are characters and have names and backstories (which good PvE *should* have); the overall design and power difference between the heroes and villains, not to mention the fact that the villains tend to operate alone or with faceless minions whereas the heroes tend to work in their own group, actually lends some credence to SW being a much more PvE focused environment.

In fairness, they don't waste an overabundance of words in the PVP forum either LOL

I'm pretty sure there are specific forums they're not allowed to comment in as developers, like all of the class forums and the PvP forums. Supposedly, they (meaning the actual developers and not just art leads and CS reps that do most of the developer tracker content) read all of the forums, including the ones that they don't explicitly post in.

Edited by Kitru

Yea but this is more of a PvP focused game. I mean in all those Star Wars movies I dont recall them raiding much.

Episode IV ended with a raid on the death star.

Episode V began with an Imp raid on Hoth.

And Episode VI had the Jabba barge/Sarlacc Pit raid, the Shield Generator raid, AND a second Death Star Raid.

My commando wrecks in PVP. Im not sure why but the imp team seems to ignore me while I freecast on Jedi Covenant. In 3 grav rounds I can do tons of damage not to mention the bomb and HIB comming after them...and procced full auto. The secret is to open up on people as far away as possible and who are fighting others. Then they just take all the damage. Im doing 350K plus per zone at lvl 42. My 50 merc doesnt do as well cuz there are better pubs than imps on my server.

So if not at level 50 when do they become an actual DPS class?

When spec for gunnery or arsenal they are always a DPS class. They just have a hard time getting the damage out.

And don't compare commandos to juggernaut damage. Juggs are ridiculously overpowered at the moment.

Commando does great DPS they just spread it around. Spec in Assault and it's hard not to get big DPS numbers but it all comes from DoT burning and our many AoE attacks. Cluster heavy warzones like Voidstar and Huttball can rack up some big numbers in AoE alone.

The problem is that you now have 5 enemies with 50% health focusing on you. Without an escape or a huge crit aattack you'll die, they'll heal, and your net contribution is zero . Try to team up with players that can takedown the enemies you soften up.

I'm pretty sure there are specific forums they're not allowed to comment in as developers, like all of the class forums and the PvP forums. Supposedly, they (meaning the actual developers and not just art leads and CS reps that do most of the developer tracker content) read all of the forums, including the ones that they don't explicitly post in.

Stockstrike root would seem to belie that assumption.

Commandos are like gunslingers in my opinion, if you find a good spot you can pump out serious damage.

Hopefully when Commandos are fixed, maybe. But not now. Gunslingers can't be leaped to when in cover, have immunity to controlling effects on a short cooldown (Hunker Down), have an AoE knockback with root, have a single-target knock-back, and a single-target root, and instant AoE mez, and proc'd AoE damage mitigation, some decent instant attacks as well as some proc'd instant casts, and some decent utility on top of that. As things stand now Gunslingers/Snipers are the only true turret class in this game.

Edited by klham

Hopefully when Commandos are fixed, maybe. But not now. Gunslingers can't be leaped to when in cover, have immunity to controlling effects on a short cooldown (Hunker Down), have an AoE knockback with root, have a single-target knock-back, and a single-target root, and instant AoE mez, and proc'd AoE damage mitigation, some decent instant attacks as well as some proc'd instant casts, and some decent utility on top of that. As things stand now Gunslingers/Snipers are the only true turret class in this game.

You forgot that they're immune to interrupts and pushback while they're in cover, so , even if you get into melee with them, they're still pretty much freecasting.

It certainly isnt 50. Been watching PvP videos to decide whether to go Commando or Vanguard. Also for lolz watched a Jugg/Guardian video. They are hitting for 6-7k crits on an attack thats instant. Snipers/GS also seem to get some sick crits as well. Then every Commando video I watch Grav round hardly tickles anyone. Most crits are around 2500 with the rare 3K and has a cast time. So if not at level 50 when do they become an actual DPS class?

my pre crit gav round hits 2.5-3k when it crits its 5-6k. demo round crits for 7k Hib crits 6.7k plus sticky crits 4.5k add full auto per tick crits 3.8k. juggs usally have their highest crits on smash which is on the same cd as demo round and Hib. commnados are strong on single target with range while jugg are good at melee range with tight groups of people. your comparing totally different gearing together as one, thoose videos don't show that those juggs/ guardian are maxing out their gear while im willing to bet those commandos arn't if they crit on gav round for only 3k.

In PvP?

Bull.

Yeah agree with the above guy. Gonna need current screenshots of that to believe it that aren't from the early days of relic buffing in pvp. I wouldn't even believe a 7k HiB on an assault vanguard unless the other guy is in green pve gear and the VG is in all EWH.

Yeah agree with the above guy. Gonna need current screenshots of that to believe it that aren't from the early days of relic buffing in pvp. I wouldn't even believe a 7k HiB on an assault vanguard unless the other guy is in green pve gear and the VG is in all EWH.

And not even then.

I'm in full EWH and those numbers are so far inflated from reality that they can be nothing but the product of imagination. Even in our wildest days, we weren't putting out 5-6k grav rounds. The demo rounds sure before they got patched - but that was an eon ago. And the 6.7k Hight impact bolts? No. Not even vanguards do that.

He's living in a fantasy land. Post like his don't help when we're looking for fixes based on reality.

And not even then.

I'm in full EWH and those numbers are so far inflated from reality that they can be nothing but the product of imagination. Even in our wildest days, we weren't putting out 5-6k grav rounds. The demo rounds sure before they got patched - but that was an eon ago. And the 6.7k Hight impact bolts? No. Not even vanguards do that.

He's living in a fantasy land. Post like his don't help when we're looking for fixes based on reality.

That might have been possible around launch, if you were 50 in full BM gear, hitting a level 10 in greens, who had multiple armor debuffs on him while they still stacked. But today, yeah, screenshots and logs or it didn't happen.

my pre crit gav round hits 2.5-3k when it crits its 5-6k. demo round crits for 7k Hib crits 6.7k plus sticky crits 4.5k add full auto per tick crits 3.8k. juggs usally have their highest crits on smash which is on the same cd as demo round and Hib. commnados are strong on single target with range while jugg are good at melee range with tight groups of people. your comparing totally different gearing together as one, thoose videos don't show that those juggs/ guardian are maxing out their gear while im willing to bet those commandos arn't if they crit on gav round for only 3k.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Also your numbers don't add up. No way you have enough power to get crits of 5k out of grav round but only 3.8k per tick crit out of Full Auto.

In PVE my Full Auto ticks for about 3.8 to 4k normally. Obviously higher with relic/adrenal/inspiration. But my Demo Rounds are hitting right on 6k and my HiB are hitting from around 4800 to 5100 (all these are criticals). My Demos crit for around 3300.

So your numbers just don't add up at all. I wouldn't believe 5k Grav rounds from anyone. No way dude. Not enough power in the stat budget. Definitely not in PVP.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

• 2 weeks later...