symbol lore is way off

djgaryz

ok someone explain a game 1000 years before the republic we know, that is approved by Lucas films...why do the imperialist have the symbol of the later republic pre clone wars?that symbol is not used by the galactic empire until after the distruction of the Jedi and the rule of Darth Vader and the Emporer,that is a very bad mistake.

'

ok someone explain a game 1000 years before the republic we know, that is approved by Lucas films...why do the imperialist have the symbol of the later republic pre clone wars?that symbol is not used by the galactic empire until after the distruction of the Jedi and the rule of Darth Vader and the Emporer,that is a very bad mistake.

'

Or, and let me offer an alternate opinion, is it possible that the Sith Empire's symbol inspired later use?

Wouldn't be the first time, such as the Marek family crest being used as the rebel insignia.

I always just kind of figure that well... it's the Sith Empire... and Palpatine is a Sith... ergo, he opts to use the same emblems that have apparently been part of Sith culture for millenia. Makes sense to me.

Also, on wookieepedia there's whole articles about the symbols and why people use them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bendu There's more but this is the most applicable article.

It's so that they can embarass the movies while at the same time not having to come up with new stuff by exploiting their time setting. They can use the same ship designs, symbols as you mentioned, plots, characters (Sith emperor = Sidious, Malgus = Vader etc.) then saying that the movie characters got inspired by these new ones..

Very low of BW to do so, or EA. I don't remember KoToR having this many similarities as in the movies, probably EA's doing.

Edited by _Zorth_

That makes...

No sense...

Empire and Republic batter each other into oblivion, the two governments merge and build a new Republic combining Republic and Imperial ideals and symbols. See also: Empire using green lasers (movie-era Republic standard) and uniforms that will eventually be associated with the Republic.

The Sith symbol and the later Republic symbol both derive from the same source, a symbol representing the Force as binding the Galaxy together, called the Bendu.

This pre-dated the Force Wars or the Great Schism, and so was known to the early Jedi as well as to the Dark Side Adepts who would become the first Dark Lords of the Sith.

There ya go.

and also in the lore the republic did not doan any clone trooper style armor until the Jango Fett introduced the style of the Mandalorian's armor to the cloners on Camino,another game mistake...not only that there was no republic army in the Lore as large as it is in this game there was only republic security,the whole point of part 2 in the movies was that the jedi had no army to back them against the techno unit army of the trade federation the lore of this game is so screwed up,good game im having an awesome time but there are so many mistakes...and I know armor and the lore behind it Im in the 501st and im a prop builder so this is very aggravating for people like me...comments?

Empire and Republic batter each other into oblivion, the two governments merge and build a new Republic combining Republic and Imperial ideals and symbols. See also: Empire using green lasers (movie-era Republic standard) and uniforms that will eventually be associated with the Republic.

Every time I do a space mission I can't help but chuckle at this detail.

Considered the aligment restrictions on crystal colours, it must mean that the empire is actually the light army, and the republic is the dark army, right? :D

and also in the lore the republic did not doan any clone trooper style armor until the Jango Fett introduced the style of the Mandalorian's armor to the cloners on Camino,another game mistake...not only that there was no republic army in the Lore as large as it is in this game there was only republic security,the whole point of part 2 in the movies was that the jedi had no army to back them against the techno unit army of the trade federation the lore of this game is so screwed up,good game im having an awesome time but there are so many mistakes...and I know armor and the lore behind it Im in the 501st and im a prop builder so this is very aggravating for people like me...comments?

None of this applies to the game. There's a 3000 year gap between the game and the movies, during which a lot of things change.

It's so that they can embarass the movies while at the same time not having to come up with new stuff by exploiting their time setting. They can use the same ship designs, symbols as you mentioned, plots, characters (Sith emperor = Sidious, Malgus = Vader etc.) then saying that the movie characters got inspired by these new ones..

Very low of BW to do so, or EA. I don't remember KoToR having this many similarities as in the movies, probably EA's doing.

I wouldn't exactly call Malgus and Vader for the same... Far from it.

They have different agendas and reasonings for what they do, and their actions aren't even the same either.

and also in the lore the republic did not doan any clone trooper style armor until the Jango Fett introduced the style of the Mandalorian's armor to the cloners on Camino,another game mistake...

You do realize that this game takes place some 3000 years before the Clone wars right?

Why are there virtually no technological advancements over those thousands of years?

There's been a number of threads discussing that very issue already. I'd recommend looking one up.

There are however a number of logical reasons both Lore wise and non-lore wise why it's like this.

The basic non-lore reason being, because if the game didn't look like the movie, it wouldn't be a SW game for most people.

I've been watching Full Metal Jousting on History Channel and it actually got me to thinking about the "technological" continuity of The Old Republic.

In FMJ - they still use all of the practical trappings of jousting which was in fashion maybe 800-1000 years ago (I'm no historian so please bear with me): They still use lances, horses, armor and all of the combat strategy of historical jousting. The improvements, if any are relatively minor as far as I can tell.

They use what worked then because...it worked then and I think the same can be said for why the tech, design and detail of TOR hasn't changed relatively all that much within the timeframe of 3,000 years.

Also, the one - and I think MAJOR detail - that many seem to not factor in is how time progresses in this "fantasy" universe. This debate is predicated on the fact that the technological compression of time (bronze age...iron age...gilded age...modern age...technological age...) is relative or comparative to the Star Wars universe.

I think it's plainly obvious that it is not.

The Sith symbol and the later Republic symbol both derive from the same source, a symbol representing the Force as binding the Galaxy together, called the Bendu.

This pre-dated the Force Wars or the Great Schism, and so was known to the early Jedi as well as to the Dark Side Adepts who would become the first Dark Lords of the Sith.

There ya go.

this...the symbol his been used a million times and was about during the time of the Ashla and bogan ( they predated what we know as jedi and sith) and later by the jedi bendu

There's been a number of threads discussing that very issue already. I'd recommend looking one up.

There are however a number of logical reasons both Lore wise and non-lore wise why it's like this.

The basic non-lore reason being, because if the game didn't look like the movie, it wouldn't be a SW game for most people.

Yup! The non-lore reason is the "real" one, but there are also lore reasons for those who care. The basic idea is that all the really significant inventions were invented tens of thousands of years ago by civilizations that are now gone or fallen (e.g. the Rakata or Columi). Tech hit a plateau in the SW galaxy long ago, after which things really couldn't improve much. Then there was a protracted dark age where a lot of the old infrastructure started to fall apart, e.g. the holonet.

I think it's easy for people living in this day and age to have a significantly incorrect view of how technology generally advances. We're living in a unique time, folks. For most of the history of our planet, things didn't change all that much over a decade or a century or a millennium. Now, our planet has drastically changed in just our lifetimes, but that's not the norm for civilizations.

Yup! The non-lore reason is the "real" one, but there are also lore reasons for those who care. The basic idea is that all the really significant inventions were invented tens of thousands of years ago by civilizations that are now gone or fallen (e.g. the Rakata or Columi). Tech hit a plateau in the SW galaxy long ago, after which things really couldn't improve much. Then there was a protracted dark age where a lot of the old infrastructure started to fall apart, e.g. the holonet.

I think it's easy for people living in this day and age to have a significantly incorrect view of how technology generally advances. We're living in a unique time, folks. For most of the history of our planet, things didn't change all that much over a decade or a century or a millennium. Now, our planet has drastically changed in just our lifetimes, but that's not the norm for civilizations.

^ This

Think about it guys... once you developped hyperspace travel that lets you travel through the galaxy in a matter of seconds/minutes, infinite ammo weapons (laser)...

What's left to create? :p