Crested Orokeet / Model Flashfire

Screaming_Ziva

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh... Looks like I'll have to go to Best Buy AGAIN and get the new card. I already have the Crested Orokeet, Now I need the Flashfire. Maybe the CS people can just add the flashfire to my account... But, I doubt it.

Maybe Eric can chime in on this?

What did the card look like that gave you a Crested Orokeet?

So I stopped at Best Buy on my way home last night and they had a few cards that looked exactly like this.

At the register, it gave the cashier the "Do Not Sell" alert so he had to do some research (despite my assurances that it was an "old" alert) and ultimately decided that it was ok to let me have them.

Unlike the Walmart card, there's no mention of *which* pet you'll get, but it did indeed give me the model flashfire.

BW/EA should really get their act together with these cards. From day one there's been problems with availability and confusion with pets. And above all, no official word or update of official site.
Yeah, you'd think that a company would want to help us give them money.

BW/EA should really get their act together with these cards. From day one there's been problems with availability and confusion with pets. And above all, no official word or update of official site.

I'm not sure why you'd be blaming BW for this. This is all on the Marketing people at EA, and the stores. Wal-Mart, Gamestop, and Amazon seem to be fine, and so was the first pet at Best Buy. It's just this new one. The Orokeet was supposed to be sold at Target, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen. Although, I have to say, I am a little annoyed that Eric, and the rest of the community team hasn't commented on the few threads about this problem.

The Best Buy SKU for the Crested Orokeet is supposedly 2308029, though I don't know what the Flashfire one is.

All info I'm seeing indicates that the online code is still the Arctic Manka Lynx.

This is not entirely correct. My 2308029 SKU did not provide the Crested Orokeet. I compared all of the cards at my Best Buy yesterday, and they were all sequential numbers. There were two cards that had an asterisk at the end of the number. I purchased one of these hoping for a Crested Orokeet, but no luck.

Why oh, why can't I find a Crested Orokeet?

• 2 weeks later...

So, it looks like all of the vendors now offer Space PVP pets and all of the older pets are no longer available, at least according to the Help Center page:

The currently available pets are:

Amazon (Digital): Imperial Scout "S-12 Blackbolt" Starship Mini-Ship

BestBuy: Republic Scout "Flashfire" Starship Mini-Ship

GameStop: Republic Scout "NovaDive"Starship Mini-Ship

Walmart: Bomber "B-4D Legion" Starship Mini-Ship

EU Retailers: Imperial Scout "S-13 Sting" Starship Mini-Ship

Has anyone seen the new pets yet? Are they physical or digital?

What happened to the Crested Orokeet? Some lucky players were able to get it from BestBuy before it was recalled and all others will never be able to get it? :mad:

And it looks like they once again messed it up. Amazon gives the S-13 Sting not the Blackbolt, and BestBuy the NovaDive, not the Flashfire. They still have the old names from before they renamed them.

Edited by Jerba

To update my list on page 1, I believe this to be the current status on all of the Cartel Coin pets. Anyone with more information, please tell us.

EU (physical): Forest Nekarr Cat - German version, Austrian version, Saturn, Media Markt. retiring soon

BestBuy (digital): Arctic Manka Lynx - from the Pre-Order kiosk, SKU 8919082, or online. retiring soon

GameStop (digital): Lobelode - have employees search for "EA Star Wars TOR 2400 Cartel Coins". retiring soon

Walmart (physical): Gilded Flutterplume - UPC 79936604974, retiring soon

Amazon.com (digital): Umbral Blurrg - retired on November 12th, 2013

Target (physical?): Crested Orokeet - shortly available from BestBuy before being recalled, now unknown

BestBuy (physical): Model NovaDive - available, SKU 2308029 (advertised as Model Flashfire)

Amazon.com (digital): Model S-13 Sting - available (advertised as Model S-12 Blackbolt)

GameStop (physical): Model Flashfire - unknown (advertised as Model NovaDive)

EU (physical): Model S-12 Blackbolt - unknown (advertised as Model S-13 Sting)

Walmart (physical): Model M-7 Razorwire - unknown (advertised as Model B-4D Legion)

Edited by Jerba

I went to my local electronics mart in Germany and unfortunately they still had the old EU cartel coin cards; they even show the Forest Nekarr Cats on the cover. Therefore, I did not risk buying them in case they give the old pet.

However, I am not sure if the new codes will have a new packaging. After all, the Amazon codes just switched to the new pet from one day to the other; they did not have to sell a new product for it.

SWTOR's customer service by phone was as helpful as ever: "I do not know anything about this." / "I am not authorized to give out this kind of information."

Has anyone had any luck seeing the cards at Walmart/GameStop? I'll be going to the U.S. next week and will look for them in any Walmart/GameStop in the area, but I fear they won't be in stores for another few weeks/months.

Edited by Jerba

Has anyone had any luck seeing the cards at Walmart/GameStop? I'll be going to the U.S. next week and will look for them in any Walmart/GameStop in the area, but I fear they won't be in stores for another few weeks/months.

Saw the cards in walmart about 3-4 days ago, had a picture of a pet on them, didn't look too close so don't know which flying pet it was. About 3-4 months ago got pet from GameStop, but it wasn't a "card" had to get it from on-line thru their computer net with code printed on receipt, they really didn't know how to do it and had to call 2 other stores to get info on how to.

Also, these I think are limited to activation on US/Canadian ISPs, so you'll have to search the forum for a workaround.

Uh... That doesn't even look like a Flashfire, more like a NovaDive to be honest :p

You're right. It's on the known issues (under Items and Economy):

* The “NovaDive” mini-pet is incorrectly named the “Flashfire” when summoned.

In my list on page 4, I got the correct names: BestBuy gives you the NovaDive, GameStop the Flashfire.

Saw the cards in walmart about 3-4 days ago, had a picture of a pet on them, didn't look too close so don't know which flying pet it was. About 3-4 months ago got pet from GameStop, but it wasn't a "card" had to get it from on-line thru their computer net with code printed on receipt, they really didn't know how to do it and had to call 2 other stores to get info on how to.

Also, these I think are limited to activation on US/Canadian ISPs, so you'll have to search the forum for a workaround.

That's great news! Do you by chance have the SKU or UPC or some other article number so I can ask an employee in store to look it up?

It may very well be that you found an old card for the Gilded Flutterplume and not one of the newer ones.

As far as I know, the Walmart card did not have the name of the pet printed on it; it only said "includes an exclusive pet". If your card really had a picture of a pet, it must be a new card.

Edited by Jerba

I finally had time to check all the stores during my vacation, here's what I found out. Unfortunately, I don't have any news regarding the new pets, but if you are a vivid pet collector like me, I hope you'll read my wall of text anyway. :)

From my experience, all of the older pets (Arctic Manka Lynx, Lobelode, Gilded Flutterplume) are still available for purchase, and only Best Buy has the new pet, the Model NovaDive. I would guess that it is going to take another few months until we hear anything about the new cards, and until then we will probably still be able to get the old pets.

Best Buy - Arctic Manka Lynx & Model NovaDive

I first went to Best Buy since that pet is the easiest to get. On their website, you can check which stores have the cards available and you can even ship it home if you want to.

I decided to buy the card in store since I wanted to have a lasting physical memory. Also, even if the card would have arrived in time via mail, my hotel takes like a $10 fee for receiving mail for hotel guests. :eek:

Anyway, every store in the area had them in stock. They probably ordered lots of cards for christmas but did not sell as many as they hoped to. It took a few minutes to find the cards in the store, but they were in the gaming section along with other cards, for example for Diablo 3, Runescape, Guild Wars 2, Steam, Origin, and general EA game cards. Even though they also had WoW cards at the registers and other rotating towers, I found the SWTOR cards in the shelves only.

Picture of the price tag at Best Buy

As you can see in the image, the SKU of 2308029 matches the one on the website. The other number, 799366052005, seems to be the UPC, according to their website. I was lucky that the card was on sale, so for $18.99 instead of $19.99. Also, I did not have to pay any taxes here in Nevada. It seems to be different from state to state, since I read other players saying they had to pay taxes.

The card itself was much smaller than I expected, about half the size of a DVD cover, or the size of two credit cards.

Picture of the Pre-Order Kiosk

Afterwards, I went to check the Pre-Order Kiosk. I searched for "old republic" and received two results. The one on the right has the old SKU (8919082), so I guess it would give you the Arctic Manka Lynx, while the other one had the same SKU as the printed card (2308029) for the NovaDive.

I am assuming that you can buy the NovaDive both with the card and via the kiosk. I did not want to buy it via the kiosk since it is not on sale for $18.99 there but has the regular price, but I guess if no store in your area has the codes, you could still get the NovaDive via the Kiosk.

Picture of the ticket from the Kiosk

I already got the Arctic Manka Lynx back in October via the Pre-Order Kiosk, so I can also tell you how that works. On the screen, you would select the SWTOR 2400 cartel coins, and then you can take out a "Digital Currency Purchase Ticket" from the tray at the bottom.

With the ticket, you go to the register and have them scan the bar code.

Picture of the receipts from Best Buy

On the left side, you can see my old receipt for the Arctic Manka Lynx; on the right side the new one for the NovaDive.

The Artic Manka Lynx was the one from the Pre-Order Kiosk, so the code for http://www.swtor.com/redeem-code is directly printed on the receipt. I know that some players were confused because they waited for the e-mail to arrive but you can in fact enter the code from the receipt.

Screenshot of the e-mail from Best Buy

Like I wrote, you don't actually need the e-mail, but here's a screenshot if you're curious how it looks like. It has the same code as the receipt. I guess it's easier because you can just copy & paste the code and do not need to type it from the receipt. Note that it took a few hours to receive the e-mail (in contrast, you get the receipt immediately after you purchase), so don't worry if it does not arrive in your inbox immediately after you buy it.

GameStop - Lobelode (& Model Flashfire?)

So I went to GameStop next. Even though I already got the Lobelode back in October as well, I decided to head there to ask if they knew anything about the new pet - after all, it was just across the street from the Best Buy.

Unfortunately, the store was crowded and there was a long line for the registers so the employees were rather hectic. The clerk I talked to knew immediately what I was talking about and found it on the computer, but unfortunately it was the old card with the Lobelode. I asked him if he saw an entry for a newer card, and he said "no", and I ask him if he has any idea when the code may show up in his system, and he said "I don't know". So even though he had the typical American friendliness, he wasn't really too passionate or caring, I felt. Maybe if the store was not so full, he would have talked more - but anyway, I didn't really expect anything after no one wrote in the thread here about the new cards, but I wanted to try anyway. :) I also checked the shelves by the way, and they had no physical SWTOR card there either.

Photo of the GameStop receipt

By now, there should be enough threads on how to get the old GameStop pet, but I'll just repeat it here so that all the information is in the same place. The GameStop pet is only available as a digital code - you cannot find it in the shelves. So what you have to do, you go directly to the registers and tell the cashier that you want a digital code that he can find in the computer. The card is called "Star Wars TOR 2400 Cartel Coin" in the computer, so if he enters "SWTOR", he won't find it. According to the receipt, the article number is 608001, not sure if that's the right one though. I read some players saying that the computer had the card incorrectly sorted under the Microsoft/Xbox Live category. If your cashier searches for a digital code category or something, keep in mind that he may not find it there.

Similar to the Arctic Manka Lynx from Best Buy, the code is printed directly on the receipt - just go to swtor.com and enter it. Note that you will not receive an e-mail with the code here, so do not lose your receipt!

Walmart - Gilded Flutterplume (& Model M-7 Razorwire?)

The last store I went to was Walmart.

Picture of the Walmart price tags

I found the cards in the Electronics department in the "Game time cards" shelf - or at least the empty rack with the price tag where the cards should have been.

So I went to the register to ask about them, which in and of itself was a small wonder. The handheld scanner was of course taken by another employee, and once we had found him, taken care of three other customers asking about products, and finally found a pen, he looked it up. The device told him that the cards should be in stock, but he was friendly and showed me a list of the other stores that are supposed to have them. He wrote down the address of another store that should have 19 in stock.

So after a 30 minute drive, I arrived at the other Walmart, went to the electronics department and sure enough, I found the rack with seven cards. I wonder what happened to the other 12 - are they in another shelf, are they still in the storage in the back, or were they stolen? The cards are the same size as the Best Buy cards and they are made out of cardboard without any anti-theft device, so I guess you could easily hide them and steal them. However, even if you scratch the silver to see the code, it won't work since you have not taken it to the register. And even worse, you have taken away a code from another pet collector who may never get the Gilded Flutterplume, in my opinion the best pet of 161 pets I know of. :mad:

In the photo, you can see the price tags from both Walmarts. The number on the bottom, 79936604974 (also known as 079936604974) is the UPC of article. The employee was able to find the card in his scanner with this number (I told him the number orally so that we would not have to walk all the way to the empty rack so he could scan it). I have no idea what the other two numbers are supposed to be (551371217 and EA SWTOR 20492).

Picture of the Walmart card

As you can see, the Walmart card is 3 cents cheaper than all the other cards ($19.96 instead of $19.99). More importantly, it also has the pet printed directly on the cardboard (it really is part of the print, it is not a sticker). The Walmart and EU pets were the first to have physical cards, and they both have the pet printed on it; all of the other newer cards no longer show the pet. I wonder if that was a conscious decision on their part so they could reuse the newer cards for other pets, or if they just forgot it on the newer cards or did not know which pet it would give you.

Note that in both cases, the codes only show a picture of the pet, but not its name. Considering how often they mixed up the pet names themselves, I don't mind this too much. :cool:

Receipt from Walmart

You just take the card to the registers, they scan it, and once you have paid for it, it is activated. Then you just scratch of the silver on the back and can enter the code on swtor.com.

As you can see on the receipt, it also mentions the UPC, 079936604974.

Comparison between the cards

So everything that follows is my own speculation; I do not work for any of these companies so I can only guess about it, but since we do not get any official information about this, I'll give it a try. :)

Cards from Walmart and Best Buy, front

So here is a side-by-side comparison between the card from Walmart and the one from Best Buy. As you can see, the Walmart card shows Darth Malgus on Alderaan, while the Best Buy card shows the female bounty hunter, Shae Vizla, on Tatooine I believe, but other than that the cards are pretty much the same. Like I wrote before, the Walmart card shows the pet, while the Best Buy card does not mention a pet at all.

Cards from Walmart and Best Buy, back

Once again, here is a photo from both cards, this time from the back. The Walmart card is on the left, Best Buy is on the right. Once again, the design is very similar. The Best Buy card also has the UPC in the top-right corner, 799366052005, while the Walmart code has no such field.

The small-print terms & conditions also match; I suppose they just copy & pasted them. I find it interesting that it says © 2012 on both cards. The first time we heard about those cards was in November 2012, shortly after the F2P transition, when they accidentally published the Help Center page about the cards even before they were ready. I suppose that back then they were making contracts with the vendors, writing the terms and conditions, and designing the cards. For the new Best Buy cards, they just copied most of the design even though I am confident that they printed them in 2013.

Both cards are a "Fastcard", a registered trademark of InComm. If you visit their website, you'll find a number of gift cards and digital codes for all kinds of stores.

Just for fun, I looked up the patent number mentioned, 7578439. The patent is called "System and method for authorizing stored value card transactions" and is from March 27, 2007. The text is so complicated I did not bother reading through it, but I think it describes how they connect all the cards with the computer so that as soon as you pay for the card, the computer knows that the code on your card is a valid one and can be entered.

Fastcard/InComm are my last resort, I'll contact them tomorrow to ask if they can help me with the codes. Maybe they can tell me the UPC of the newer cards and when they will be available in stores. Considering how they distributed all the codes, they must know the most about them, and I have a feeling that it may also be their fault that they mixed up the Target and Best Buy codes and sold Crested Orokeets at Best Buy. :rolleyes:

Different codes from the Walmart cards

I read in this thread how you tried to find the difference between the Crested Orokeet and Model NovaDive pets, so I want to do my best to help you with that.

I took a photo of all the Walmart cards (sadly I forgot to do the same for the Best Buy cards).

As you can see, there is a very small number on the right side. It is 0913 76 for the Walmart cards, and 0913 99 for the Best Buy cards. No idea what this number stands for.

Then there is a big barcode on the bottom, along with two numbers. The cashiers will scan this bar code, and then the computer automatically knows which code is connected to it, so the bar code is different for each card. Which code is connected to each bar code is only known by InComm, I suppose.

The shorter number at the bottom, like 4674636580, seems to be the number of the printed card itself. Note how all these numbers are sequential, so I suppose they were printed in a row, packed in the same box and shipped to my Walmart store together.

Similarily, my Best Buy code has the number 4690303764, and the other codes there were numbered sequentially as well, like 4690303765, 4690303766, 4690303767, ...

Another player wrote how some of the cards at his Best Buy had a star at the end, others did not. Note how from all the Walmart cards, the one ending in 86 also has a star. I am guessing that this is just some kind of mark, like every 50th card he marks with a star as a sign that this is the start of a new patch. But this is really just a wild guess on my part. The cards are all the same, no matter whether or not they have a star, so I don't think this is too important.

I am assuming that they share these numbers with all the other gift cards from InComm, that's how they got up to 4.7 billion cards - it cannot come from SWTOR alone.

Considering how the Walmart pets, which are like half a year old, have a number like 4.67 billion, while the new Best Buy codes have a number of 4.69 billion, I assume we can estimate the age of the card based on this. In that case, the Target cards with the Crested Orokeet would have to have a code around 4.67 billion as well and not 4.69 billion. But this is just a thought; please share your card numbers so we can solidify this theory.

Then there is the other, longer number.

Walmart: 79936604974 | 0006277 | 002002830346 etc.

Best Buy: 582308029 | 000004690303764 etc.

For Walmart, the long number consists of the UPC 79936604974, some unknown number 6277, and a number that seems to be generated randomly for each card. This random number may have to do with the code you enter at swtor.com, since that also seems to be a random code. In any case, the code you enter on swtor.com is different from this random number.

For Best Buy, the number always starts with 582308029, which is neither the SKU or UPC, so it must be some other article number, and it is followed by the card number, the same number as the small number in the second line.

The codes itself all have the standard 16-digit XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format, where X can be any digit 0-9 or letter A-Z. Only the Walmart and Best Buy physical codes from Fastcard deviate from this pattern, they look like XXX XXX XXXX, where X is a digit 0-9, there are no letters in the Fastcard codes.

I hoped you liked my report on the cartel coin cards, even if it is not that much new information. If you have had an interesting experience with the cartel coin cards, I would love to read it. :) Or if you have any information about those new Model space ship pets, please share it! Even if I have to drive like 2 hours to get it...

And if you don't want to click on each image individually, here's the complete Imgur album where you can find all of the images in one place: http://imgur.com/a/QpY7u. I edited out my personal information like credit card number, last name and the codes itself, but I tried to keep as many information visible as possible. :)

Edited by Jerba

I finally had time to check all the stores during my vacation, here's what I found out. Unfortunately, I don't have any news regarding the new pets, but if you are a vivid pet collector like me, I hope you'll read my wall of text anyway. :)

You're awesome, thank you for that!