Social Behaviour

NummSaul

Rudeness and anti-social behaviour has always been in the game. Albiet more so since the launch of f2p, I simply chalked it up to more a** holes having access to the game. Yesterday I was playing the Imp side a low level and everybody I grouped with did not talk even when spoken to, just dropped for no apparent reason (sometimes right in the middle of a fight), or would not stay with the group (just running off). It was very annoying so I feel yur pain.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mostly good experiences.

re: Groups. Every once and a while there is a stinker in an OP and a FlashPoint. My standard practice is to make fun of them subtly until they quiet themselves. If I'm healer a few battles where I keep them almost dead is both amusing and enough to get them to quiet themselves.

re: General Chat. Quite frankly, I rarely participate since F2P and generally ignore. I find most newbie questions that I notice are answered and if not I'll whisper the person. The only thing that gets me to post a negative comment (that could be interpreted as rude) is a whiny comment about how A) X isn't free or B) WoW does X better.

With regards to the former, as a subscriber I am insulted by people who want the things I dish money out for to be free. You have access to pretty much everything you need in the Cartel Coin system. You can even purchase many cartel coin items through the GTN.

With regards to the later, believe it or not, some of us have never played WoW and really don't care.

I'm not sure telling someone to pipe down on the above is "rude". I don't insult them, I just tell them they aren't going to win any friends if they continue on.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Rudeness and anti-social behaviour has always been in the game. Albiet more so since the launch of f2p, I simply chalked it up to more a** holes having access to the game. Yesterday I was playing the Imp side a low level and everybody I grouped with did not talk even when spoken to, just dropped for no apparent reason (sometimes right in the middle of a fight), or would not stay with the group (just running off). It was very annoying so I feel yur pain.

Yeah, that's happened to me. I just started up a new character. I chalk up the running off to not knowing how to play the game and not communicating to not understanding the /group or /general /say commands.

Also consider language barriers, etc.

Also, I sometimes make judgments on whether I should help a new player by their name. Anyone else do that?

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Yeah, that's happened to me. I just started up a new character. I chalk up the running off to not knowing how to play the game and not communicating to not understanding the /group or /general /say commands.

Also consider language barriers, etc.

Also, I sometimes make judgments on whether I should help a new player by their name. Anyone else do that?

- Arcada

I've never though to do that, but I see the bases of your reasoning. Your more likely to get an imature attitude with some one with the name of "Myhotdog" (and Ive seen it used) than someone that looks like they put a little though tbehind their toons name. :p

<snip>

- Arcada

Heh, do I assume correctly that you would never help me then? ;)

(but I know what you mean - I've seen a few barely disguised racist names now and I wouldn't help those people either)

Heh, do I assume correctly that you would never help me then? ;)

(but I know what you mean - I've seen a few barely disguised racist names now and I wouldn't help those people either)

If I was on Korriban for some obscure reason and you were in the general chat with the name "Totaltrash" asking for help, I would help you depending on what you wanted help with. If you wanted to know how to turn off the headgear slot I'd help you. If you wanted me to help you with a heroic mission I probably wouldn't unless you were super polite ;).

In other words, I'd help if asked but I'd judge you ;).

- Arcada

The TOR community has been a cesspit since day 1, rubbish community, worst of any MMO I've played in 15 years. Actually since F2P I've felt a growing sense of community, and I'm not the first to say so. When I say growing, there was a slight blip on the heart monitor. Edited by Caspian_Rho

If I was on Korriban for some obscure reason and you were in the general chat with the name "Totaltrash" asking for help, I would help you depending on what you wanted help with. If you wanted to know how to turn off the headgear slot I'd help you. If you wanted me to help you with a heroic mission I probably wouldn't unless you were super polite ;).

In other words, I'd help if asked but I'd judge you ;).

- Arcada

I am guilty of this as well. Especially being on an RP server. I understand that not everyone RPs on an RP, but folks who cannot at least respect the process won't get much help from me. IMHO, to go into an RP server and name yourself "awsumSABERguy" shows a direct lack of respect for the community.

The TOR community has been a cesspit since day 1, rubbish community, worst of any MMO I've played in 15 years. Actually since F2P I've felt a growing sense of community, and I'm not the first to say so. When I say growing, there was a slight blip on the heart monitor.
Assuming you actually play the game = inaccurate and uncalledfor. I'm in 2 guilds (one each side) with some really great people. I meet the occasional schmuck in GF groups, but it's like that in any MMO. By and large TOR's player base is pretty damn cool, and that goes for many of the new F2P players who are melding into the community as you pointed out.

About the only ***holes I've encountered are a handful in genchat or these forums, and they can be dealt with using common sense - or the ignore and report functions if they are buried too deep in their own narcissism. But a cesspit? Most of "those" types have either been banned or moved on to foster cesspools in other forums. Few of them ever showed up in-game. I too have a history with MMOs (since UO for me) and have been here since closed beta. Thus I have nfi what you are talking about.

Edited by GalacticKegger

The TOR community has been a cesspit since day 1, rubbish community, worst of any MMO I've played in 15 years. Actually since F2P I've felt a growing sense of community, and I'm not the first to say so. When I say growing, there was a slight blip on the heart monitor.

rift could make a run at them for the worse. but to be honest both games got a lot better after three months or so. after the six month subs ran out the forums for both cleaned up a lot too. this game isn't as bad though as it didn't copy all of wows mechanics that rift did and also has no dps meters.

for the most part every game will have issues today and we can all blame blizzard for them.

Assuming you actually play the game = inaccurate and uncalledfor. I'm in 2 guilds (one each side) with some really great people. I meet the occasional schmuck in GF groups, but it's like that in any MMO. By and large TOR's player base is pretty damn cool, and that goes for many of the new F2P players who are melding into the community as you pointed out.

About the only ***holes I've encountered are a handful in genchat or these forums, and they can be dealt with using common sense - or the ignore and report functions if they are buried too deep in their own narcissism. But a cesspit? Most of "those" types have either been banned or moved on to foster cesspools in other forums. Few of them ever showed up in-game. I too have a history with MMOs (since UO for me) and have been here since closed beta. Thus I have nfi what you are talking about.

It's pretty bad, generally speaking. It's terrible and has drove alot of people away from the game... and that's based on friends of friends, threads here and others around the webs. General chat up until F2P was as I described, a 'cesspit'. People and guilds like yourselves get lost in the quagmire.

Just because you blind yourself to it, doesn't make it disappear or go away. But there is hope, the community seems a bit better from F2P. From my perspective I believe the subs solidify as a core in a proposed rejection of freebies thus creating a core hence better community (applied only to POT5). Speculation on my part, based on nothing but education in the right areas.... you can tell your friends you read that on the internet :cool:

a**hole is a very subjective term. Everyone has their own definition. I personally wouldn't call someone who was silent an a**hole, because that's not a behavior that annoys me. However, there are some things that do annoy me such as defending a ninja looter and criticizing the one who complains about it. People asking you personal questions and then avoiding you, if you're too private, like it has anything to do with SWTOR.

FYI the crap that goes on in general chat goes on in guild chat to among guildlies.

Same crap that goes on in most general chat on any format of the internet. You're just going to need to learn how to not payattention to chat when you're not using it. Or just turn it off. Chat is peoples way of not taking themselves seriously. Sure alot of it can get vulgar but its up to you to choose to read it or ignore it.

FYI the crap that goes on in general chat goes on in guild chat to among guildlies.

Same crap that goes on in most general chat on any format of the internet. You're just going to need to learn how to not payattention to chat when you're not using it. Or just turn it off. Chat is peoples way of not taking themselves seriously. Sure alot of it can get vulgar but its up to you to choose to read it or ignore it.

Negative. As I said before, you agreed to terms when you logged in. You are not allowed to be as vulgar as you like without running the risk of being disciplined.

OP, your English is great! It was a nice breath of fresh air to read something coherent on a forum for once.

I am sad to hear that SWTOR is your first MMO. It's got so many things wrong with it on so many different levels. The community isn't helping matters, either.

I'm to the point where I don't step outside of my circle of Real-World friends. I turn off General chat, block /say, /trade, /pvp, etc.

People are rude and selfish. Unfortunately, with 29348579348572349578 alts, non-unique legacy names and Free to Play, people are free to hide behind an unknown name, and feel no reason to preserve something that they got for free.

There are better communities out there (speckled with the occasional idiot). Try the game, The Secret World. It's got one of the best communities I've seen in an MMO.

Yes, I've seen this as well. However, you also need to take into consideration that most people get tired of seeing the same questions asked repeatedly in chat. Especially questions like, "I'm a Jedi guardian, what is my primary stat?" Or "What gathering skills go with, (insert crafting skill here)? You know, questions they already have the answers to, if they took the time to look in their codex. I have no problem with helping someone, but after awhile it gets old. Yes I have on occasion fired off a smart *** answer, but I've also offered up the answer to the question asked.

Yes, I've seen this as well. However, you also need to take into consideration that most people get tired of seeing the same questions asked repeatedly in chat. Especially questions like, "I'm a Jedi guardian, what is my primary stat?" Or "What gathering skills go with, (insert crafting skill here)? You know, questions they already have the answers to, if they took the time to look in their codex. I have no problem with helping someone, but after awhile it gets old. Yes I have on occasion fired off a smart *** answer, but I've also offered up the answer to the question asked.

"Look in the Codex" is garbage too. The codex is hidden in a tab behind your quest journal and nothing in the game prompts you with the knowledge that the codex is a source of all of that info. I can totally see why folks would not think to look there. Either help them or don't. There is no need to be rude to them by any means.

Social Behavior on SWTOR - "The Tightening Grip" Imp daily on Ilum during prime time:

All mobs are dead all the time.

Half a dozen solo players are camping that small area at any given moment.

Whenever a mob spawns, everybody desperately jumps on it to steal the kill.

Nobody sends out invites, nobody accepts invites.

Yes, it is much better to be an a-hole for 15 minutes than to team for 5 mins and get the quest done. :eek:

Social Behavior on SWTOR - "The Tightening Grip" Imp daily on Ilum during prime time:

Yes, it is much better to be an a-hole for 15 minutes than to team for 5 mins and get the quest done. :eek:

I don't understand this either. It happens a lot on the Pub side of Black Hole. 4 people fighting for all the nearby mobs/nodes and none of them trying to get together.

Though, often if you step up and be a leader, folks will follow. It's just that not many want to make that minimal effort.

It's pretty bad, generally speaking. It's terrible and has drove alot of people away from the game... and that's based on friends of friends, threads here and others around the webs. General chat up until F2P was as I described, a 'cesspit'. People and guilds like yourselves get lost in the quagmire.

Just because you blind yourself to it, doesn't make it disappear or go away. But there is hope, the community seems a bit better from F2P. From my perspective I believe the subs solidify as a core in a proposed rejection of freebies thus creating a core hence better community (applied only to POT5). Speculation on my part, based on nothing but education in the right areas.... you can tell your friends you read that on the internet :cool:

Not at all, and the players I've added as friends - many of whom are new players - will attest. This community is excellent by comparison to games like WoW, where the pubescence in chat is almost suffocating. TOR has very little of that. People actually answer "noob" questions in genchat. And the clowns who lambaste new players for not already knowing get lambasted themselves. Nah ... this in-game community rocks, and one doesn't need to be in a guild to see it.

The forums on the other hand are quite a bit different. But then forums usually are, at least in the more visible areas where the trash and troll types typically hang out to get their epeen fixes - or quotas if they're employed in a water army capacity.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Totaltrash eh?

Totaltrash eh?

Yes, that's my (forum) name, don't wear it out!

Roleplayers aside, most people think too highly of themselves, their toons and their abilities.

Hence self-depreciating names like mine are never taken in MMO's. ;)

Edited by Totaltrash

"Look in the Codex" is garbage too. The codex is hidden in a tab behind your quest journal and nothing in the game prompts you with the knowledge that the codex is a source of all of that info. I can totally see why folks would not think to look there. Either help them or don't. There is no need to be rude to them by any means.

I did say that I do help people, sure I may crack a joke, but I will answer the question. Even if it's to say, "Look in your codex. If you don't know how, bring up your quest journal and look for the tab that says "Codex" along the bottom."