War Zones... Why are YOU here?

NamelessMerc

So it's that time again, someone (this time me) is going to ***** about PVP.

I don't have an issue with the classes that hasn't already been covered by others so let's in stead, talk about the player base. On my server the general PVP skill in the 10/29 and 30/54 bracket is ridiculously appalling on both sides of the fence, Republic and Imperial.

I know that there may be some first timers/new players in there but this game has been running long enough that a decent percentage of the low level players are people who have rolled a new character for something different to play and likely already have one or more level cap characters.

What really gets me is regardless of whether you're a new player or it's just a new character, how the hell can people be so stupid as to not understand universal basics in a war zone? I'm talking simple tactics that don't require a brilliant mind.

Things like:

* I'm on my own, if I run into that location and attempt to capture it while there's two or three opponents in there, I'll die.

I see whole groups of players dying in war zones, re-spawning and charging back where they died only to die again but due to various delays (depending on map) they funnel into death traps one at a time and keep doing it again and again seeming totally unable to acknowledge that if they just waited fifteen seconds, one or two more allied players would catch up to them and they could fight as a group.

* My team mate here is getting low on health, I'll heal him/her THEN return to whatever I was doing.

I cannot be the ONLY person who finds it mind-boggling when attempting Void Star for example, watching half my team standing around waiting for the enemy to get out of their spawn so they can battle them again in stead of planting an explosive on the doors or watching an enemy approach me from behind while I'm planting an explosive but rather than stun them so I can finish they just begin to DPS them, the enemy ignores them, interrupts me then either dies or kills us as his/her friends show up.

I see others pointlessly going all out and burning all their best skills with lengthy cool downs against a tank who has a healer standing right by them, maintaining their good health. I want to briefly step into the Star Wars universe and headbutt the ******** fighting the tank then suggest they target the healer in stead.

I know I'm having a good ol' Q_Q here but it is confusing as hell to me.

That said, I don't expect people to magically be familiar with all the do's and don'ts from day dot. Nor do I expect people to forgo doing whatever amuses them, it's a game and they're meant to be enjoyed, however...

If you are a new player, there's plenty of support available to you. I have previously posted a lengthy article on this forum detailing some basics in regards to war zones, search it out and read it as it's a good place to start. Try to understand that when you queue for a war zone, other people will be depending on you...

They're called war zones rather than duels because there's more people involved than just you and whoever you happen to be fighting at the time. Whenever you hit that button and queue up for a war zone, you're actually asking to be put into a situation that's heavily dependent on team play, cooperation and communication for victory.

(unless you're pitted against the randoms I seem to get stuck with - then simply don't somehow implode on the spot and you've probably won)

If you're not willing to follow the helpful advice that some people offer after war zones, if you won't listen to tactical info. sent your way during matches (someone calling grs inc 2 - for example), if you're not interested in working as part of a team then regardless of your personal level of skill, why are in a war zone?

People don't seem to realize that regardless of how good your gear is and how talented you as in individual are (or think you are) you cannot, WILL NOT, win a war zone on your own. It just can't be done. It's okay to suck at the basics, it's not a crime to be inexperienced and I would always encourage new players to try their hand (and luck) at war zones but please, if you're going bring anything to a war zone, bring a willingness to learn and a team based mentality.

A dozen years ago MMOs were for smart people.

now they r 4 EVERY-1!

MMOs are the greatest social experiment on Planet Earth. They are a wake-up call to how utterly stupid the Human Race really is. They throw it right in our faces. There's just no ignoring it anymore!

Edited by Arlanon

now they r 4 EVERY-1!

MMOs are the greatest social experiment on Planet Earth. They are a wake-up call to how utterly stupid the Human Race really is. They throw it right in our faces. There's just no ignoring it anymore!

It's not (only) about stupidity. Mostly, it's about ego.

People think they are better than the rest and do stupid things like leave nodes unguarded so they can solo that sorcerer 100m from the node (and they get stealth capped by a stealther they weren't even aware of).

People tunnel vision so hard because they think that no one would DARE cap while they are guarding - and they lose the node.

Awful Smashers who think they're God's gift to PVP think they can solo a Sorcerer just because they are playing a class that offers that advantage IF the two players are of equal skill - so they don't even bother calling an incoming sorc and they lose the node.

And then there is the ultimate level of ego/stupidity:

Not playing an objective based map with the objectives in mind.

There was a post recently by someone who can only be considered a troll and a really good example of why PVPers have such bad rep amongst gamers, who claimed that he's not here to play objectives, he's here to play however the hell he wants.

He thinks he's actually good at what he's doing because he's No1 in DPS. Meanwhile, any other player with an IQ above -10, understands that no matter how hard you hit, if you don't cap the node or if you don't pass the ball in Huttball, you're NEVER going to win.

It's not (only) about stupidity. Mostly, it's about ego

This is so true. The people who most contribute to the loss are often some of the most individually skilled players, but instead of using the skill as a team they go for the big DPS numbers and lose on objectives. They see their big numbers and think they're unstoppable but spend all their time chasing kills and ignoring all else.

Many times the person who contributed the most to winning has the lowest numbers of the team because they spent all their time being first to react it incoming calls, or peeled off of battle to interrupt an enemy cap, or ran away from the melee to go in position for a Huttball pass or friendly pull into the end zone.

If they stopped to focus on 1on1 battles they would have been the top but they were smart and played to win, not to inflate their DPS, unfortunately people still base MVP and praise off the numbers.

Many of the worst teams I've played on had the best players, they just played solo the whole match instead of synergizing with their team.

now they r 4 EVERY-1!

There are actually MMOs for smart ppl, out there, one in particular. Wont name it here even though it would probably weed out the stupid lazy and moronic soon enough anyway

There are actually MMOs for smart ppl, out there, one in particular. Wont name it here even though it would probably weed out the stupid lazy and moronic soon enough anyway

I know the one, and I do regret not spending more time on it. Friends were already split up with other games, and I was a truck driver, so I never got to give it a proper go.

Actually OP, everything you list in your post is why I'm not in the Warzone anymore, even though normally at level-cap, PvP is pretty much all I do. (Don't even get me started about 4v4 Arenas. Stupidest. Thing. EVER.)

And let's make it absolutely clear:

I am not any kind of great PvP fighter at all, but what really gets me is that most people don't seem to get that PvP in this game --yes, world as well as instanced, at least to a degree-- is not fundamentally about fighting*. It's about strategy, tactics, and co-ordination, and I do decently well in most WZs because of always concentrating on doing these the best I can, much more so than being a God of the 1v1.

The vast majority of "PvP'ers" in this game seemingly not only don't get this, but they also act like complete ***** to those who do, and the resulting atmosphere is just utterly poisonous.

I despair for the long-term health of this game because of this, among other reasons.

*Proof:

UIVMM, it is at least theoretically possible to win a VoidStar --my favourite map along with HuttBall-- without scoring a single kill. It's not about the fight, it's about the objectives and the strategy for capping same in the most efficient manner, at least for that map. The fight will come, but the objective is not to fulff one's e-p33nz0r with huge numbers, it's to end it ASAP so you can then do what is actually needed to win. Again, most SW: tOR "PvP'er's" wouldn't glom on to this if it ran up and bit them in the arse. Which it often does.

But then, remember, it's never their fault.

I'll be happy to, social "correctness" be damned:

EVE-Online.

Thank God I'll always have that: A game for adults.

I know the one, and I do regret not spending more time on it. Friends were already split up with other games, and I was a truck driver, so I never got to give it a proper go.

Never to late ya know and u can always make friends ingame. I have never played a game where friendships are as rewarding, IRL friends or in game friends

Edited by Beeteel

I'll be happy to, social "correctness" be damned:

EVE-Online.

Thank God I'll always have that: A game for adults.

Indeed its a good feeling. I find it funny how ppl instantly know what I mean even though I never named it. Says a lot

Edited by Beeteel

Bads do bad things.

When you try to correct them and help them from doing bad things in the future you get hate tells.

you can't fix stupid.

The End

If someone in the WZ says "Hey, maybe next time try this instead," or "[spec X] isn't the best spec for PvP, maybe look into [spec Y]," then I'll respond positively. When someone /w me and says "OMG. WHY ARE YOU SO BAD?! Try not to suck again." (has happened), I'll generally just /ignore them.

Not everyone doing bad things in PvP is a 'bad.' Hell, I've been playing MMOs for years and align with OP's idea of what many low-level toons are (alts), but this is the first game where I've enjoyed PvP, so it's the first time I've ever done it. Sorry I don't understand the mechanics, but being an *** won't help me.

This is so true. The people who most contribute to the loss are often some of the most individually skilled players, but instead of using the skill as a team they go for the big DPS numbers and lose on objectives. They see their big numbers and think they're unstoppable but spend all their time chasing kills and ignoring all else.

Many times the person who contributed the most to winning has the lowest numbers of the team because they spent all their time being first to react it incoming calls, or peeled off of battle to interrupt an enemy cap, or ran away from the melee to go in position for a Huttball pass or friendly pull into the end zone.

If they stopped to focus on 1on1 battles they would have been the top but they were smart and played to win, not to inflate their DPS, unfortunately people still base MVP and praise off the numbers.

Many of the worst teams I've played on had the best players, they just played solo the whole match instead of synergizing with their team.

EXACTLY!!! Sadly enough, people MVP those who have the biggest numbers. I'm one of those who play for the objectives. So most of the times I end up with the lowest numbers. Yet, I'm the one who kept stealing/scoring in huttball, I'm the one who kept a turret defended, I'm the one who planted a bomb or two, etc...However, I end up with 0-1 MVPs most of the times.

EXACTLY!!! Sadly enough, people MVP those who have the biggest numbers. I'm one of those who play for the objectives. So most of the times I end up with the lowest numbers. Yet, I'm the one who kept stealing/scoring in huttball, I'm the one who kept a turret defended, I'm the one who planted a bomb or two, etc...However, I end up with 0-1 MVPs most of the times.

I always check healing done and objective scores when handing out my MVP vote. I stopped looking at total damage done ever since I realized I can consistently roll out #1 on damage as my noob Sorc and never get even close to it to my much better geared and played Juggernaut. Getting the highest damage score is not difficult on an AoE class and is in no way an indication of skill.

Warzones are not about damage done. They're not about K/D ratio either. Too bad lots of people don't seem to get that.

It's not (only) about stupidity. Mostly, it's about ego.

People think they are better than the rest

^^ This!

The biggest smack talkers in this game are the worst players most of the time.

Now that there are rankings there will be more egos running around playing bad and telling you how pro they are.

Arena PvP is the lowest form of PvP IMHO. Remember when you actulally had to use tactics and terrain and try and out weigh the odds of bigger numbers against you?

Not if you've only played theme parks you don't.

Bads do bad things.

When you try to correct them and help them from doing bad things in the future you get hate tells.

you can't fix stupid.

The End

Thank you for insulting me.

Let's wallow in this for a moment, shall we? Maybe a little meta-analysis is is in order:

(1) The responder came here, to a PvP forum, without encouragement or coercion;

(2) The responder identified one post out of many, on a thread on a PvP forum, that insulted him;

(3) The responder apparently self-identifies as a "bad", given that he found the initial message insulting;

(4) The responder responds in a sarcastic, passive-aggressive manner, instead of offering any constructive criticism.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but maybe you want to brush those chips off your shoulder? If you're coming here just to agitate, there are probably better ways to spend your time (maybe in a WZ getting less bad, for instance?).

We never did get a ranked season in 8 vs 8, they analyzed player behavior and came up with Arenas, that ought to tell the general pvp community something. Focus fire and having the right gear is the only thing required to win an Arena.

think it says it all.

that being said, I'll sign with OP concerning WZ's

We never did get a ranked season in 8 vs 8, they analyzed player behavior and came up with Arenas, that ought to tell the general pvp community something. Focus fire and having the right gear is the only thing required to win an Arena.

think it says it all.

Wait, did 8v8 top play in RWZ require something else? As an outside observer it was my understanding that "who can focus fire the best" was the main differentiator between the best team and other top teams. That and being able to sap through force shroud...

So it's that time again, someone (this time me) is going to ***** about PVP.

I don't have an issue with the classes that hasn't already been covered by others so let's in stead, talk about the player base. On my server the general PVP skill in the 10/29 and 30/54 bracket is ridiculously appalling on both sides of the fence, Republic and Imperial.

I know that there may be some first timers/new players in there but this game has been running long enough that a decent percentage of the low level players are people who have rolled a new character for something different to play and likely already have one or more level cap characters.

What really gets me is regardless of whether you're a new player or it's just a new character, how the hell can people be so stupid as to not understand universal basics in a war zone? I'm talking simple tactics that don't require a brilliant mind.

Things like:

* I'm on my own, if I run into that location and attempt to capture it while there's two or three opponents in there, I'll die.

I see whole groups of players dying in war zones, re-spawning and charging back where they died only to die again but due to various delays (depending on map) they funnel into death traps one at a time and keep doing it again and again seeming totally unable to acknowledge that if they just waited fifteen seconds, one or two more allied players would catch up to them and they could fight as a group.

* My team mate here is getting low on health, I'll heal him/her THEN return to whatever I was doing.

I cannot be the ONLY person who finds it mind-boggling when attempting Void Star for example, watching half my team standing around waiting for the enemy to get out of their spawn so they can battle them again in stead of planting an explosive on the doors or watching an enemy approach me from behind while I'm planting an explosive but rather than stun them so I can finish they just begin to DPS them, the enemy ignores them, interrupts me then either dies or kills us as his/her friends show up.

I see others pointlessly going all out and burning all their best skills with lengthy cool downs against a tank who has a healer standing right by them, maintaining their good health. I want to briefly step into the Star Wars universe and headbutt the ******** fighting the tank then suggest they target the healer in stead.

I know I'm having a good ol' Q_Q here but it is confusing as hell to me.

That said, I don't expect people to magically be familiar with all the do's and don'ts from day dot. Nor do I expect people to forgo doing whatever amuses them, it's a game and they're meant to be enjoyed, however...

If you are a new player, there's plenty of support available to you. I have previously posted a lengthy article on this forum detailing some basics in regards to war zones, search it out and read it as it's a good place to start. Try to understand that when you queue for a war zone, other people will be depending on you...

They're called war zones rather than duels because there's more people involved than just you and whoever you happen to be fighting at the time. Whenever you hit that button and queue up for a war zone, you're actually asking to be put into a situation that's heavily dependent on team play, cooperation and communication for victory.

(unless you're pitted against the randoms I seem to get stuck with - then simply don't somehow implode on the spot and you've probably won)

If you're not willing to follow the helpful advice that some people offer after war zones, if you won't listen to tactical info. sent your way during matches (someone calling grs inc 2 - for example), if you're not interested in working as part of a team then regardless of your personal level of skill, why are in a war zone?

People don't seem to realize that regardless of how good your gear is and how talented you as in individual are (or think you are) you cannot, WILL NOT, win a war zone on your own. It just can't be done. It's okay to suck at the basics, it's not a crime to be inexperienced and I would always encourage new players to try their hand (and luck) at war zones but please, if you're going bring anything to a war zone, bring a willingness to learn and a team based mentality.

The 10-29 is unplayable. The 30-54 is not so bad, as typically most people have an idea what they are doing. TBH, if I have the option, I would never play anything but 55 WZs and ranked, and these tend to have the same problem anyway, but for a lesser extent. Unfortunately you need to for comms. The only thing that I hate about lowbie PvP is the no calls. Dude, you aint gonna stop 3 ppl solo, why did not you say something..