Healers in PvP - resources no longer needed?

Cretinus

So.... they have quite a survivability and you can't kill them 1X1. Fair enough, well, sort of.

But why is it that they never go oom? In other games, this is actually the parameter that keeps healers in balance with the other classes. They heal for a while, but then resources start going down and at some stage they'll have to stop healing and hide for a while and reg. In SWTOR, one single healer is able to keep himself + 3 DPS alive for 5 minutes without ever running into resource problems.

Now, please enlighten me why it is me who has to l2p cause healers are fine?

You need to L2Interrupt because healers are fine.

They do go OOM, but most are smart enough not to. Plus, different healers = different energy mechanics. The only one who's probably a bit overpowered regarding energy management is maybe the Commando - my friend's got one and he roflstomps...most players just "give up" after not being able to kill him.

But my scoundrel, and both our sorcs, are shut down by interrupts. Do you know what an interrupt is? You have a separate interrupt skill, but then you also have pushbacks, pulls, grenades, mezz, stun, all these things interrupt the currently channeled skill.

If you take away the healer's ability to cast the largest skills, then he will eventually die. Unless you're 1v1'ing a scoundrel below 30% health and he has an upperhand, then he spams emergency medpac - so call a friend and dps him down :)

Only healer in 2.0 who i'd say has op resource management is scoundrel/operative.

Sorc/sage healing resource management is actually quite tricky at times the instant aoe heal can take alot without you even noticing.. Op/scoundrel can spam there hot on the whole group and never run out of energy.

You need to L2Interrupt because healers are fine.

But my scoundrel, and both our sorcs, are shut down by interrupts. Do you know what an interrupt is? You have a separate interrupt skill, but then you also have pushbacks, pulls, grenades, mezz, stun, all these things interrupt the currently channeled skill.

Yeah, thanks. I know what interrupts are.

No class in this game has interrupt + pushback + pull + grenade + mezz + stun. In other words, to shut down a healer you need 2-3 players who will be so busy doing this that they are no longer effective for anything else. A little too much, imho.

And if the healer is a scoundrel, you can't even interrupt properly cause most of his heals come as instants.

Sorry, mate. But heal is ridiculous, currently.

I know, healers don't like to read this kind of topics and believe that the reason why they're doing so good currently is that while they're good themselves, all others are bad and don't know how to interrupt. Well, that's wrong. Heal is too strong and will probably get nerfed, sooner or later. And if you're honest, you'll have to admitt that you're aware of this.

I don't get why people complain that healers can't be killed 1v1.

If they were easy to kill for 1 person then barely anyone would play them and thus make every match besides ranked basically just a DPS fest.

It's not about killing them 1X1. It's about shuting them down so that they no longer can properly heal their team. Currently, a healer under pressure is still able to heal himself and his team. This is way too much. For example, against a mara + a scoundrel healer you need at least 5 defenders, due to the otherwise nearly impossibility of keeping the scoundrel from healing the mara while the mara kills one after the other. Unless you have a scoundrel healer too and then it's a 10 minutes fight cause nobody will ever die. This is absurd.

Edited by Cretinus

Tank assasins?

Dunno, never played a tankassin. They have grenades? Kewl.

But even so, the stuff has a CD that's greater than the healers CD on his heals. And don't forget the healer's resolve bar. When it's filled, there's only the interrupt left and if yours is on CD you'll still need a second player for that one.

I dunno about mercs but, the inability to channel only slightly hamper the ability of sorcerers and operatives to heal more than decently

Operatives and sorceres also have very little use for mana, you have to put really high dps pressure to force them to use it to the point they cascace into a low regen and dry out loop.

Edited by Ajuntalee

There is no doubt that healers are strong in TOR, pretty sure that's why you see so many of them lately, I typically see at least 3 per match both sides. If you are a smart player you are attacking a healer with the intention of just stopping them from healing others and just keeping themselves alive, killing them is just bonus. The only time I can't kill a healer is when they are getting additional heals from another source as well as their own. The trick to healers is to save your interrupts for the right times to keep them locked down as much as possible, for example if you interrupt an operatives diagnostic scan you deserve to lose.

In SWTOR, one single healer is able to keep himself + 3 DPS alive for 5 minutes without ever running into resource problems.

because you and your team either consists of total re.ta.rds or have a horrible team composition tanks & healer and no dds.

if you have to fight enemys that actually know what they do hots and insta heals are not enough to keep anyone alive, so you have to rely on casted heals wich cost 25% of your resources. including regeneration after 6-8 heals that do keep someone alive your oo-power

Edited by Tankqull

I think the healer problem is two fold:

1. As mentioned here, resources. If healers want to stay as powerful as they are right now in PvP their resource consumption needs to go up. I really don't care if this affect PvE because its obvious healers aren't having any resource issues in PvP or PvE. Lets just call a spade a spade, healers have it really good right now.

2. Cross healing. Healers healing healers is simply unstoppable at some points. Two healers can hold up a node indefinitely. Even one healer can defend so long that the rest of their team has minutes to get there. As soon as the cross healing starts, its game over for any attacking team.

A simple fix to overhealing in PvP is a debuff called exhaustion. After your character has received X number of heals you begin to build stacks of exhaustion.

One stack is 10% healing debuff.

Two stack is 30%...

Four is 75%

Etc

This debuff would not diminish self healing.

There is the opposite version as well. Exhaustion could debuff your SELF healing making sure you can't spam heals on yourself. It would force healers to be team components and not tanks.

Edited by Arkerus

Only healer in 2.0 who i'd say has op resource management is scoundrel/operative.

Sorc/sage healing resource management is actually quite tricky at times the instant aoe heal can take alot without you even noticing.. Op/scoundrel can spam there hot on the whole group and never run out of energy.

Exactly. If I'm not careful I'll burn through my force leaving myself in a pickle. I found this more evident when I respect my Lightning Sorceress to healer. There is a huge difference between those two specs in regards to resource management. I think the OP needed to identify the healer in this case. He didn't, so he just painted every healer with the no resource problems brush.

SoIn SWTOR, one single healer is able to keep himself + 3 DPS alive for 5 minutes without ever running into resource problems.

Really? I beg to differ. I was caught between a Guardian (sweep spec'd I believe), a Shadow, and another Guardian and I was able to last 15 to 20 seconds on my healer. I wish I could last that long, I'd be the ultimate tank tying up that many people for that long!

I don't have to, you already have. And yes, healers are fine now. They are where they should have been a long time ago before the Almighty Nerf Hammer from G.O.D. (Game Operating Developer).

The people posting on this thread complaining about healers are baddies.

If your facing a healer 1 versus 1 and you aren't making any progress towards killing them, then:

1. You're a terrible DPS, you ned to L2P your class
  2. You don't even know its a 2v1 or multiple people versus you, because you're being taunted or the healer is being guarded

Healer's are fine if your team is making the right moves. Otherwise you're gonna loose.

There is no doubt that healers are strong in TOR, pretty sure that's why you see so many of them lately, I typically see at least 3 per match both sides. If you are a smart player you are attacking a healer with the intention of just stopping them from healing others and just keeping themselves alive, killing them is just bonus. The only time I can't kill a healer is when they are getting additional heals from another source as well as their own. The trick to healers is to save your interrupts for the right times to keep them locked down as much as possible, for example if you interrupt an operatives diagnostic scan you deserve to lose.

this,after 2.0 theres scoundrel and sage healers everywhere even people that played DPS. simple answer is that people tend to play what is easiest, hence why so many healers.

1. As mentioned here, resources. If healers want to stay as powerful as they are right now in PvP their resource consumption needs to go up. I really don't care if this affect PvE because its obvious healers aren't having any resource issues in PvP or PvE. Lets just call a spade a spade, healers have it really good right now.

2. Cross healing. Healers healing healers is simply unstoppable at some points. Two healers can hold up a node indefinitely. Even one healer can defend so long that the rest of their team has minutes to get there. As soon as the cross healing starts, its game over for any attacking team.

A simple fix to overhealing in PvP is a debuff called exhaustion. After your character has received X number of heals you begin to build stacks of exhaustion.

Two stack is 30%...

Four is 75%

Etc

There is the opposite version as well. Exhaustion could debuff your SELF healing making sure you can't spam heals on yourself. It would force healers to be team components and not tanks.

and this.

Swtor has issues with power creep and has had since launch. Bioware has a really bad habit of jacking up damage, mitigation and hp at a reasonably balanced rate but forgetting to "offset" the increased healing power through gear. This has led to healers becoming increasingly more potent with each gear patch. The last major healer balancing was 1.2

Back around 1.3 I mentioned in numerous posts that if Bioware continued to toss out new gear without actively offsetting healing output they would end up with healers being grossly overpowered "again."

This +1

If you leave the healers to free cast - they will generate enough heal points to negate two of the opposing team dps numbers PER HEALER. Yes..that is a huge force multiplier. As it should be. Start taking out the healers quickly, so they spend more penalty box time, than heal time - that number will drop significantly, and mainly reflect the healer trying to keep themselves alive. This negates the 2 to 1 force multiplier effect --WHICH IS THE HEALERS REASON FOR BEING THERE !!

And do not forget - both factions have healers. So, while you are complaining about "healz is so op, derp derp derp" -- it is likely a healer that is keeping you alive long enough for you to face-roll those huge DPS numbers you epeen about.

So - in that I do quite a bit of PvP (esp. prior to 2.x patches) I can post up some ridiculously large heal numbers **if left to free-cast untouched** Start attacking me, making me self-heal, FOCUS ON ONE PLAYER AT A TIME so my heals are less effective -- and those numbers start to mean less and less.

Two stack is 30%...

Four is 75%

Etc

Yes i was thinking something in that taste, i have yet to understand why we get a movement exhaustion debuff for fighting too long, and why we couldn't get a healing debuff for the same reasons.

At some point reinforcement has to come help you, and bring fresh meat to the grinder.

Of course the game is fine now, but such a mechanic would make it a bit more nervous, it can never be bad.

Edited by Ajuntalee

They do go OOM, but most are smart enough not to. Plus, different healers = different energy mechanics. The only one who's probably a bit overpowered regarding energy management is maybe the Commando - my friend's got one and he roflstomps...most players just "give up" after not being able to kill him.

In my experience, Commando is the toughest to manage for resource (on my Scoundrel in particular I have to make an active effort to run out of Energy, Sage a little trickier because its a healing glass cannon, but on my Commando, I can run low on ammo if I get too complacent very rapidly). Considering that the others two healers dominate group healing and burst healing, I don't think its overpowering that a Commando can be sustainable if you budget yourself well at the cost of overall output.

Two stack is 30%...

Four is 75%

Etc

I don't know if anyone from Pre-1.2 is still on these forums, but damn, this is deja vu ain't it? This is the same kind of complaining that led to a major nerf of healing in 1.2. Surprisingly enough, its the same update that put Scoundrels on the map for healing PVP and they are yet to be dethroned (Sages have become a good competitor in 2.0). Combat Medics on the other hand got an overkill gutting, but hey, onto the present.

I do think healing is a little over-tuned right now. It should not be possible to solo-heal a warzone, in my opinion. I don't think a massive nerfing of the classes is necessary (unless you nerf the other two and buff Commandos, but that's just my jaded side talking) and you don't need an exhaustion debuff, they can just increase the effect of PVP Trauma (you know, that debuff that already reduces your healing received in PVP by 35%). I would say you need to increase just enough that you cannot solo-heal a warzone, but it still needs to be in balance with the amount of damage you can sustain in the same period of time.

Also, if you're going to add "Exhaustion", it would completely alter the way PVP plays to a much faster style. That's not necessarily a bad thing. For instance, a node in Civil War never changes hands once captured without coordinated CC and/or someone on the defending team being an idiot. It would reduce the number of stalemates, but it would also drastically lower TTK. It would be a radical, radical change. I'm not against it, but you couldn't just implement this casually. I think a lot of class balancing would be necessary.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

^ The classes themselves are fine.. its the relationship between new tier gear upgrades and healing output relative to damage / mitigation that is not fine. This is why, back in 1.2 Bioware reduced the amount of heals received via expertise. You have to keep in mind that this is a PvE game first. Healers are built around boss PvE raiding mechanics NOT PvP. All they have to do is adjust the healing received mechanic again and the problem goes away.

It's not about killing them 1X1. It's about shuting them down so that they no longer can properly heal their team. Currently, a healer under pressure is still able to heal himself and his team.

No they can't. If 1 dps can't tie up a healer they are terribad.

Edited by MotorCityMan

I don't get why people complain that healers can't be killed 1v1.

If they were easy to kill for 1 person then barely anyone would play them and thus make every match besides ranked basically just a DPS fest.

How dare you bring common sense into these forums!? :mad: