Hope for people having trouble with datacrons/platforming

JimG

If you're a master at platform jumping, this thread is not for you...nothing to see here, please disperse, lol.

For those of you who suck at platforming jumping, there is hope. Until yesterday, I was one of the worst, if not THE worst, person in all of TOR at timing jumps and platforming for these datacrons. Watching others repeatedly pass by me as they got through the entire datacron jumping routes while I fell over and over got extremely frustrating....so much so that I delayed getting a lot of the datacrons.

Then, yesterday, I had a platforming epiphany and suddenly "got it". Probably the #1 reason I was having so much trouble is because I was standing too close to the edge of platforms when I was doing standing jumps. When I saw certain gaps, my thinking was I needed to be close to the edge when I was doing a standing jump in order to give me the best chance to reach the other side. That was sort of my intuitive feel for things as I haven't had much experience with platforming since the days of Pitfall and Donkey Kong on the Atari, lol. However, what I finally figured out through lots of trial and error (mostly error, lol) is that even though you are performing a "standing" jump, the game mechanics cause you to go forward slightly before you leave the ground. So what happens is you think you're about to perform a standing jump but, in reality, you end up falling off the edge before you get any verticality. I kept thinking I was mistiming my jumps with the keyboard by pressing forward slightly before pressing jump (instead of simultaneously) or not holding down the jump key long enough or some sort of other timing issue on my end. For example, when you have to jump from pipe to pipe, once I started standing at the back of the pipe for my standing jump instead of the front of the pipe and just trusting that I could make the distance of the jump, I had no problems making those jumps.

Once it clicked like this, I had a MUCH easier time getting to datacrons. I was able to get all 5 datacrons on Nar Shaddaa with only 2 falls combined and both were actually a case of me goofing on an easy jump and overshooting the landing and had nothing to do with the trickier jumps. By comparison, there were some datacrons before that where it had taken me 2 hours to get with repeated falls (and I mean LOTS of falls). The whole time I thought that I just sucked at timing my jumps, turns out I was just not positioning myself correctly to utilize the standing jump mechanism. Also, on the easier jumps that don't require much distance, I've found it's safer to actually jump first and then quickly try to inch forward once you've got some air so you don't overshoot the jumps. Sometimes you may want a slight jump and your guy can really get some air and overshoot a jump.

Anyways, just wanted to share this information with those of you who are having a lot of trouble with datacrons and platform jumping. Once it "clicks", it DOES get better! Keep hope alive! lol

So basically what you are saying is that you couldnt do it but after you kept failing you finally figured it out and succeeded at it?

That if you keep trying something you will eventually figure it out and get the prize that you were trying to get and actually get better at something in the game.

Grats maybe if more people tried they would also get better.

So basically what you are saying is that you couldnt do it but after you kept failing you finally figured it out and succeeded at it?

That if you keep trying something you will eventually figure it out and get the prize that you were trying to get and actually get better at something in the game.

Thanks! But you put a kind spin on it, lol. I would say that I didn't realize something that turned out to be very simple that was completely hindering my platforming ability. It was one of those "dohhhhhh" moments when I figured it out finally, haha. But I like your description better!

I am glad you are having success. I have found also, that for running jumps, I tend to need to start to jump a little sooner than I would have expected for similar reasons.

Another little tip that helps you not over-shoot things is to jump into something when you can. For instance, on Nar Shaddaa, you have to jump up a series of pipes that are perpendicular to your jumping direction. I see people trying to make the jump and falling because they over-shot the pipe or hit the ground (i.e, the pipe) running and couldn't stop before they fell. If you simply turn towards the wall and jump to the end of the pipe instead, you don't overshoot because your forward momentum is stopped by the wall. There are also some horizontal surfaces on the "fixture" where the pipe joins with the wall that you can land on that are not quite as high as the pipe itself, making the jump a bit easier.

Thus, jumping earlier (or further back as you indicate), jumping into things, and looking for smal protruding horizontal surfaces helps a lot in the whole process.

People suck at jumping because the game sucks at jumping, enough said. Theres an undeniable delay. Basing datacron difficulty based on a mechanic that is broken is really stupid of them too.

QFT

I spent too many hours of my life for a +2 or a +3 because the game is just wrong.

Yes, people can do it. Congratulations!!

People also say they don't have lag or loading screens while my friggin new computer takes about 3 minutes to load a planet, and I updated drivers today... before it was more like 5 minutes.

That's what happens with PCs, every single one is different.

Screw the datacrons.

<To OP>

Am I a master of Platform jumping..........................NO! but I do have the ability to play them. The very thought of a Manifesto post complaining about the Data crons in this game has me ROTFLMAO.

Really even with the fact that the mouse/keyboard aspect of this game isn't very condusive to platform jumping, it still is an incrdibly EASY feat to gather the datacrons in the game. The actual challenge in the game is FINDING them not getting them and with the advent of the INTERNET, finding them isn't an issue. I have gathered EVERY datacron From ORD mantell through Alderan (level 41) and I didn't have a problem with getting any of them.

Just for the record it doesn't have anything to do with being a master platformer. That is just rediculous. Platformers are played on consoles for one thing and with game pads. So the entire argument is bogus from the start.

People need to stop complaining about not being able to complete something on the first try. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

Just like people who have no tolerance for wiping on instances these very same peeps are the ones crying about the datacrons.

The data crons are many things but the one thing that they aren't is : HARD TO GET.

<To OP>

Am I a master of Platform jumping..........................NO! but I do have the ability to play them. The very thought of a Manifesto post complaining about the Data crons in this game has me ROTFLMAO.

Really even with the fact that the mouse/keyboard aspect of this game isn't very condusive to platform jumping, it still is an incrdibly EASY feat to gather the datacrons in the game. The actual challenge in the game is FINDING them not getting them and with the advent of the INTERNET, finding them isn't an issue. I have gathered EVERY datacron From ORD mantell through Alderan (level 41) and I didn't have a problem with getting any of them.

Just for the record it doesn't have anything to do with being a master platformer. That is just rediculous. Platformers are played on consoles for one thing and with game pads. So the entire argument is bogus from the start.

People need to stop complaining about not being able to complete something on the first try. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

Just like people who have no tolerance for wiping on instances these very same peeps are the ones crying about the datacrons.

The data crons are many things but the one thing that they aren't is : HARD TO GET.

QFT I also have no no issue getting the datacons, a few of them i had to try a few times, like the one on tattooine on the city roof tops, but none of them have been hard to get, Why does it seem that the average player in this game has no skill? i read so many cry baby complaints, maybe gaming is not for u

?

People suck at jumping because the game sucks at jumping, enough said. Theres an undeniable delay. Basing datacron difficulty based on a mechanic that is broken is really stupid of them too.

QFT!

And I SWEAR that the shorter you are the more difficult it is to jump... Examples:

My Body 2 Sage - After trying a few times on each DC on Coruscant, I managed to get all of them, but took a few tries each time.

My Body 3 Guardian - Got every one of them, first time each one.

My Body 1 Sentinel - Managed to get the one in the Jedi Temple, every other one I tried for 30 minutes each and couldn't get, then tried again on another day, and still could not get...

Btw, YES I like playing Jedi's, and second - I played them in that order, so it isn't like I learned and got em all with my Guardian... No, I got em all with Guardian, then managed to forget within days on my Sentinel??

Most. Helpful. Post. Ever.

Nice post OP.. This will help others like me that are horrid at the jumps.

I can not tell you how many games in the past 30+ years had problems like that. But once you figure them out feel like a Super Star.

Edited by Romiz

To put it in perspective at how bad I am at jumping...I could never beat the FIRST level in Donkey Kong

:(

But in games like WoW I was reasonably ok at it because the mechanics were consistent. In SWTOR I never seem to know if I am going to jump forward 1 inch or 5 feet.

You're not alone JimG ..I'm betting most of us had to figure that out :)

Look at the jump as an arc and put your landing just over the peak of the arc.

It's also helpful to remember that some jumps require sprint to be on and others will absolutely fail if you have it on.

Really? I am hunting datacrons and currently only issue I ran into is my character body is too big to get some of the datacrons.

<To OP>

Did you even read his post? Because if you did, way to fail at reading comprehension. At no point whatsoever does he complain about datacrons being difficult to get. Actually, at no point whatsoever does he even complain. In fact, he takes all of the responsibility on himself for his difficulty in getting them. And then he offers a rather helpful bit of insight for others that may be having the same difficulties. Every single "point" you try to make doesn't even come close to being relevant to anything he said. Posters like the OP are what we need more of on these forums. Posters like you, not so much.

<To OP>

You might want to take as much time actually reading a post as you take to type responses because you obviously didn't read my post.

I didn't complain at all about getting datacrons. My post very clearly states that I sucked at it because I didn't have the jumping mechanics in this game figured out and that I finally figured them out. The point of my post was to pass along some hope for other people (and maybe a couple of tips) in the event that there are others out there feeling frustrated because they aren't good at the platforming mechanics in the game.

The "master at platforming" comment was a joke, hence the use of "lol" at the end of the line. I'd like to introduce you to something called a sense of humor, geez. All I was saying is that if you have the datacron/platforming figured out and you're good at it, then my thread wasn't intended for you as you probably won't find any of the comments helpful. It was intended for the people who are having trouble with the datacrons.

Manifesto? You want to talk about a ROTFLMAO moment. Against, re-read my post (or better yet, actually read it for the first time) and I'll just point you to a dictionary on that one for the definition of a "manifesto".

"Patience is a virtue for a reason." Ironic, as that was sort of the theme of my post. Again, just more proof you didn't even read the post.

You can play all the semantics you want about console vs. PC games, but the whole jumping for datacrons thing IS absolutely "platforming". It's basically positioning and timing of jumps....that's platforming. Frankly, not even sure what the point of that comment was anyway as there is no "argument" anywhere in my post.

I don't really care if people read what I posted....you were obviously in the group it wasn't intended for anyway. However, if you're going try to do some lame callout post addressed to me, then I feel obliged to break your comments down and point out what nonsense they are.

Another little tip that helps you not over-shoot things is to jump into something when you can.

Thus, jumping earlier (or further back as you indicate), jumping into things, and looking for smal protruding horizontal surfaces helps a lot in the whole process.

Yeah, that's a good tip too!

oh no, OP. I claim the title for worse platform jumper in the game. Did you ever watch your dad try to play Nintendo and just not 'get it'?

Yeah, that's me.

LOL, I feel your pain. My little brother used to crush me at Super Mario Bros.

You're not alone JimG ..I'm betting most of us had to figure that out :)

Look at the jump as an arc and put your landing just over the peak of the arc.

It's also helpful to remember that some jumps require sprint to be on and others will absolutely fail if you have it on.

Yeah, adjusting sprint is definitely key on some. Also, that's a really good tip about visualizing the jump arc. I think I was too focused on the beginning of the jump instead of the ending of the jump.