Tol Braga

YoshiRaphElan

On Corellia, the Jedi Knight can choose to kill or spare Tol Braga. Usually choices like this are never again referenced in-game to prevent continuity errors or creating a canonical ending. But in the Agent storyline, they flat-out say that Tol Braga has died on Corellia. What's the deal? He can only die if the Knight does the dark option, which I see as highly unlikely. So did he die shortly thereafter or were the Cabal agents in error.

That's one major issue I have with the Imperial Agent storyline as well and reminded me of the whole ME3 debacle, where your choices were ultimately meaningless.

Regardless, at least IMO, even if you choose to have him sent to Tython or killing Sith on Corellia instead of just killing him, Tol Braga ends up dead, most likely by agents of the Star Cabal if you spare him.

Thus, in the end, whatever you choose turns out to be meaningless.

It's in the finale, on the Star Cabal ship. Basically the guy just namedrops him like:

"Tol Braga has died on Corellia."

Something like that.

What he actually says is...

Tol Braga at least is dead. Now we seek balance, as the World quakes.

He doesn't actually specify he died on Corellia, given the fact one of the choices the JK has is to ship him to Tython, as stated previously.

That's one major issue I have with the Imperial Agent storyline as well and reminded me of the whole ME3 debacle, where your choices were ultimately meaningless.

Regardless, at least IMO, even if you choose to have him sent to Tython or killing Sith on Corellia instead of just killing him, Tol Braga ends up dead, most likely by agents of the Star Cabal if you spare him.

Thus, in the end, whatever you choose turns out to be meaningless.

I don't understand how you can say it's meaningless.

I never understood the mass effect hate in this regard either.

For me, in a RPG...simply having the choice makes all the difference for me.

My character letting someone live...only for them to be killed by someone else later...is vastly different than my character killing that person....in my opinion.

Edited by VitalityPrime

It's easy once you read it or when you're not too occupied preaching.

It's been stated what's the issue concerning ME3 plenty of times. Also, not sure when I used the word "hate".

Congratulations.

I, on the other hand, would like to believe that the decisions I make in the game are final and that they are NOT out of my reach, namely by having the choice I made being overridden in a rather arbitrary fashion, which is the case here.

My character letting someone live...only for them to be killed by someone else later...is vastly different than my character killing that person....in my opinion.

And like I said, the choice is meaningless from the moment whatever you choose is overridden arbitrary, without even being addressed as to the "WHY" the latter decision was taken.

It's easy once you read it or when you're not too occupied preaching.

It's been stated what's the issue concerning ME3 plenty of times. Also, not sure when I used the word "hate".

Congratulations.

I, on the other hand, would like to believe that the decisions I make in the game are final and that they are NOT out of my reach, namely by having the choice I made being overridden in a rather arbitrary fashion, which is the case here.

And like I said, the choice is meaningless from the moment whatever you choose is overridden arbitrary, without even being addressed as to the "WHY" the latter decision was taken.

I didn't mean to say you were hating on Mass Effect. I just trying to say that a lot of the hate (in general) for Mass Effect was about this sort of thing.

Anyways...to each their own.

Edited by VitalityPrime

I didn't mean to say you were hating on Mass Effect. I just trying to say that a lot of the hate (in general) for Mass Effect was about this sort of thing.

The criticism was entirely warranted.

Anyways...to each their own.

Here's a rather nasty example, which can be applied to EVERY single character you spare in this game...

You spared Tol Braga and had him sent to Tython but he never gets there. For a serious while, you are oblivious to this and are only told FAIRLY later on that he never got to the planet and went missing.

The truth however is far more ugly...

He was caught by Star Cabal agents posing as agents for the Mecrosa Order, brainwashed yet again, tortured for days on end, only to end up brutally murdered by the people he was perhaps working with.

If you knew this, would you stick to your choice? Would your choice be somewhat different? Wouldn't you feel that your choice was ultimately meaningless, given this can apply to every single character in the game?

Again, this is a game but for both a developer who ALWAYS loved to brag that choices matter, they do take their time to show otherwise, every so often.

Worse of all, as stated already, is the rather arbitrary fashion in which they approach it.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

...and reminded me of the whole ME3 debacle, where your choices were ultimately meaningless.
I LOL'ed.

I agree, and I think Wicked's response merely reinforces the point, just look at the amount of depth he added to that choice! Ultimately our characters make up a framework of billions of other beings, and it would be strange if any of the choices we made became set in stone forever. The same can be said of real life. "My choices don't matter" actually adds a whole other dynamic to the RPG experience. What exactly makes a choice 'matter', the act or the outcome?

Ultimately though I suppose its both a matter of taste and perspective.

Though I feel my choice would have still mattered anyway, because it defines the sort of person my character is.

Edited by Beniboybling

• 4 years later...