Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J'exx's Guide to Proton Torpedoes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
J'exx's Guide to Proton Torpedoes

Ryuku-sama
02.20.2015 , 03:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by havokhead View Post
Are you saying you shoot down satellite defenses with protorps? Are you saying you run this Imperium build all the time or just to take satellites during domination matches? My way you can run protorps on any fighter and in any situation. Your way is only on a specialty build in certain circumstances and I'm the one who's wrong? I would love to see your build at work in a death match, how can you chase down anything for close range protorps in an Imperium? Besides if you're chasing everything to close range how are you supporting your team with repair probes? If you are shooting down satellite defences with protorps then I'd rethink that, you have 8 torpedoes and you wasted 3 to take a satellite and 1 or 2 more on a bomber?
You obviously missed my point. How can you actually be of any use on an Imperium if you can't fight in the middle of your team... With your use of torpedoes I would be sitting 7-10km behind my team, totally useless beyond a threatening lock-on with no actual threat. Your build is so specialized in long range combat you end up being useless as soon as the combat come close to you. My way is actually allowing you to run protorp if you so wish on the Quell and the Rycer.. It is definately less powerful on a Rycer since you're missing the Ion Cluster combo.. It is viable on a Quell tho. Your build is viable on only ONE ship. The Quell. And it's only because the Quell can actually field dangerous close range weaponry. No other ship can use a torpedo with such a small arc without becoming useless where 60% of fights happens (at 15 km and under 3km). Between.... If you target people who already used their lock..... You have two situations... Either it wn't be back before the torpedo lands or it will. The speed boost reduce this time but raise the lock-on time by making it way easier to get out of your arc. And launched at 10km.. Your speeded up Protorp can still be outrunned just long enough to get a breaker back up. Remember most ships have an average of 12s between locks (only with higher is the Rycer (15s), Quell (20s), Dustmaker (20s))... More than enough to neuter your Protorp.

At 10km you are an easy target for any gunship. The closer you get, the harder it gets to actually pin you down with a railgun.

Where did I said I was taking turrets out with torpedoes? You shouldn't do that (except during the 10km - > 5km phase where you can't do anything else) Anyway, even Quad will destroy a turret before you get a full lock with a Protorp. My point is way more about either being in range for fighting effectively on a sat and not being so far away the enemy can just hide and cap. Or being so far from the sat, an Ion rail would leave neutered and dead-to-be.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 04:00 PM | #12
I guess I just don't understand the logic behind choosing protorps for short to mid-range combat vrs concussion missiles. The only advantage protorps have over concussion missiles other than range is shield piercing. You get more concussion missiles, a shorter re-load time, a shorter lock-on time and a huge targeting reticle compared to protorps. All these factors make concussion much more viable at mid- to short-range.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

-Stiletto[Eclipse Squadron]

Lendul
02.20.2015 , 04:36 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by havokhead View Post
I guess I just don't understand the logic behind choosing protorps for short to mid-range combat vrs concussion missiles. The only advantage protorps have over concussion missiles other than range is shield piercing. You get more concussion missiles, a shorter re-load time, a shorter lock-on time and a huge targeting reticle compared to protorps. All these factors make concussion much more viable at mid- to short-range.
Just try the point blank proton play style for a while and it should make a little more sense to you. The strength in a proton is the same strength of BLC and Slug it is insane burst damage. Something you left off you guide is that proton critical hits are the only thing the game that can one shot not only scouts, but gunships as well. They don't just have shield piercing they have armor piercing also thus they do (True) damage that can not be reduced.

Also in the close range proton game play if you are using a T2 which I assume you are since you said switch missiles when you are close range. It is not necessarily a choice between concussion and proton. You can use both and bait missile breaks with the concussion. If you want to try this style you will need to emphasize arc, reload, ammo and what most leave out, speed on your thrusters or engine or both because obviously closing the gap quickly is key. It also allows you to get out quickly. I have found that QCS is mandatory for this style though because of the boosting involved. It is also way more fun than the missile turret style

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 05:03 PM | #14
Concussion missiles have armour piercing as well at tier 5.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

Ryuku-sama
02.20.2015 , 05:14 PM | #15
My point is simply you remove all bit of versatility of your build for an advantage I find rather inexistant. Either the target would have been hit without the speed boost or it wouldn't have been hit at all.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 06:57 PM | #16
I'm glad we're having this debate, truly. I'm realizing there are more ways to use proton torpedoes but I stand by my guide, to truly maximize their effectiveness while maintaining battlefield awareness and survivability they are best used at range. I would not gunship hunt in a strike fighter they're too vulnerable to be out on their own in the middle of space behind the heavy fighting where gunships are lurking. Also, I'm sure you can 1-shot a gunship point-blank and yes a point-blank kill with protorps is fun but T1 & T2 scouts are much better at this job than any strike fighter, they have the killing power and the ability to survive. I just don't understand why you would charge at an enemy to release a missile point-blank and risk heavy exposure to achieve it when you get the same results from 3 times further that's roughly 80% of all weapons not aimed at you. As for the gunship vulnerability, yes you can be targeted easier but you can't be 1-shotted by a GS in a strike and I'm not dumb enough to sit there and be shot again. I strive for a 10-1 kill/death ratio in all ships and I just can't see a strike fighter that has to fly three times further increasing exposure and burning up engine power not getting chewed up more.

As for missile speed, at range, it is a huge factor perhaps your play style doesn't make it as noticeable.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 07:16 PM | #17
I'm glad we're having this debate, truly. I'm realizing there are more ways to use proton torpedoes but I stand by my guide, to truly maximize their effectiveness while maintaining battlefield awareness and survivability they are best used at range. I would not gunship hunt in a strike fighter they're too vulnerable to be out on their own in the middle of space behind the heavy fighting where gunships are lurking. Also, I'm sure you can 1-shot a gunship point-blank and yes a point-blank kill with protorps is fun but T1 & T2 scouts are much better at this job than any strike fighter, they have the killing power and the ability to survive. I just don't understand why you would charge at an enemy to release a missile point-blank and risk heavy exposure to achieve it when you get the same results from 3 times further that's roughly 80% of all weapons not aimed at you. As for the gunship vulnerability, yes you can be targeted easier but you can't be 1-shotted by a GS in a strike and I'm not dumb enough to sit there and be shot again. I strive for a 10-1 kill/death ratio in all ships and I just can't see a strike fighter that has to fly three times further increasing exposure and burning up engine power not getting chewed up more.

As for missile speed, at range, it is a huge factor perhaps your play style doesn't make it as noticeable.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 07:43 PM | #18
Apologies for the repetitive posts, I'm writing this from smart phone and not sure why it's happening.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 08:05 PM | #19
Apologies for the repetitive posts, I'm writing this from smart phone and not sure why it's happening.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

Ramalina
02.21.2015 , 12:57 PM | #20
The tips are fairly solid for improving the effectiveness of proton torpedoes.

The reason they tend to have a bad rep is because unless someone is in the middle of making a really stupid piloting mistake, your chance of ever hitting any ship with them is effectively zero. Mind you, I'm including bombers in that.

There are lots of players that aren't very skilled, so finding a target that is making a colossal piloting error (or several at the same time), isn't that hard, and even top notch pilots make them from time to time when they push the envelope just a little bit too far.

So Proton torpedoes can be great, but they're only great against the targets that RFLs are great against, the ones that are being completely ineffective at defending themselves.

If the target is good at missile defense, isn't using their engine maneuver for offensive purposes, and isn't in a T1 or T2 bomber, most of the time you're not even going to be able to land a concussion missile on them, never mind a torpedo.

I like torpedoes, and the design definitely has potential, but until missle vs missile break balance is retuned that potential is the potential to farm noobs.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch