Kaggath Battlegrounds

IMPORTANT: THE KAGGATH TOURNAMENT HAS BEGUN - FACTION MAKING IS CLOSED.

“No game of dejarik can be one without pawns...”

All right folks, our first player-driven Kaggath Tournament has come to a close and a new tournament is about to begin. Welcome to Battlegrounds! The premise is fairly simple; this is still a battle of armies, strongholds and fleets but instead revolves around a single planet or ‘battleground’ in which each move, each maneuverer and every pawn counts. And like the tournament you create the factions.

For those of you who participated in the previous tournament, you’ll already know how to go about submitting your factions, so feel free to skip. But just to recap, and for the sake of any new players who may be interested:

It will operate on a first come, first served basis. But do not post your factions below; to avoid a messy influx of offers and to maintain a level of secrecy I’ll again be opting for a private message based system. Like before if you’re interested please do post your interest below, but once your faction is finalised, send it to me via PM. And like before, this thread shall be periodically updated to anonymously list taken leaders, units and planets.

Once your faction has been submitted, it becomes autonomous – you do not have any direct control over its actions. It operates as any normal Kaggath combatant would, with actions being determined by the nature of its leadership etc. You are however allowed to debate for your faction until the bitter end, as such it won’t require a great deal of commitment on your part. As long as you are able to participate in a regular debate you are welcome to join, however you must be available over the majority of the next few months. And of course anyone else is welcome to join in the debate even if they have not submitted a faction.

Now for the important stuff, the new rules.

The complete rulebook both for Battlegrounds mode and what I’ve decided to coin as “Classic mode” i.e. normal galaxy-wide Kaggath can be found here. But below is all you need to know to make a faction.

First of all though, a basic template, to give you an idea of what’s what. My advice is to start with the template, and once you made some selections, peruse through the rules and see if its allowed, then submit and I'll sort the rest.

Faction Name: The Galactic Empire

Leadership

Head of State: Darth Sidious

Second-in-Command: Darth Vader

Allies: Grand Moff Tarkin & Boba Fett

Supplier: Kuat Drive Yards [Planet: Kuat]

Organisation: Imperial Intelligence [Planet: Bastion]

Ground Forces

Major Ground Force: Stormtroopers [501st Legion]

Minor Ground Force: Imperial Royal Guardsmen

Light Vehicle: AT-ST & TX-130T Fighter tank

Heavy Vehicle: AT-AT

Naval Forces

Fighter Class: TIE Fighter or Interceptor

Bomber Class: TIE Bomber

Elite Class: TIE Phantom or Defender

Light Capital Ship: Acclamator-class assault ship

Heavy Capital Ship: Imperial-class Star Destroyer

Flagship: The Executor (SSDs however are not permitted)

And now for the rules themselves, note I've put in bold what is new.

Leadership: For your leadership, whose purpose it will be to lead your faction to victory, the kings and queens of your dejarik board, you must choose a Head of State, a Second-in-Command and a pair of allies. If and when your Head of State is killed you lose the match.

Important Rules

#1 Leadership selections must correspond to their respective positions within the Star Wars universe i.e. Heads of State must have held the position of ‘Head of State’ or equivalent.

#2 An individual who has held the position of Second-in-Command may function as a Head of State, though those who have not may not. Also note that Allies (of which you may have two) cannot have held the position of Head of State or Second-in-Command at any point.

#3 You may have no more than two Force users in your leadership.

#4 The following individuals are not permitted:

Darth Sidious, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Darth Caedus, Sith Emperor, Galen Marek, Thrawn.

#5 When making selections units will be regarded as at the height of their power. However you do have the option to have your unit regarded at alternate stages of their existence.

And of course, in congruence with previous Kaggath installments if and when your Head-of-State is killed your faction loses the Kaggath.

Military: Your military will act as the backbone of your faction, responsible for conducting warfare on the planet’s surface and in orbit as well.

Availability for ground and naval forces are mainly determined by the makeup of your leadership. You can only have access to units that at least one member of your leadership has been affiliated with at one point. This does not include alliances, unless said ally had units given to them (not just for assistance but control) at some point, and not just on loan.

Ground Forces – Important Rules

#1 You can choose one Major Ground Force with one Minor, or three Minor Ground Forces.

#2 Major Ground Forces must consist of some kind of standard infantry unit e.g. Stormtrooper, Sith Trooper, Rebel Trooper, B1/2 Battle Droid etc. Major Ground Forces cannot be comprised of anything considered elite infantry. If you which to use a specific infantry e.g. 501st Stormtroopers, specify in brackets.

#3 The size of chosen Ground Forces will be determined by the military unit they come from. For example Clone/Stormtroopers would be deployed in battalions of 512 men, a droid unit significantly higher, and for a Rebel unit significantly lower. Numbers will be decided by the Arbiter, so there are no specific caps or limits to be aware of or avoid.

#4 Minor Ground Forces must be identifiable as elite units, and cannot be standard rank-and-file soldiers. They can consist of a sect, clan militia or other minor organisation, or simply be an elite support unit designed to back up a major force i.e. a Droideka.

#5 You may choose a maximum of two light vehicles, and one heavily vehicle. You must have at least one light vehicle, noting that the less vehicles you have the larger quantities they will be deployed in. As such there is no real specification that can be given here regarding what is classed as a light vehicle and what is classed as a heavy vehicle; ultimately it will be the Arbiter’s decision.

#6 You may only have access to vehicles that your supplier is capable of manufacturing, be it war droids, tanks or walkers etc. though not the exact unit, only the class.

#61 You may only have access to vehicles that your supplier is capable of manufacturing, be it war droids, tanks or walkers etc. though not the exact unit, only the class. A supplier capable of acquiring said units through alternative means will also suffice.

#8 When selecting ground forces you may have no more than three units from the same organisation, encompassing both infantry and vehicles.

Naval Forces – Important Rules

#1 You are able to choose a single Flagship and one Heavy and Light Capital Ship model, as well as a full fighter complement. Light Capital Ships can be no larger than a Heavy Cruiser and Heavy Capital Ships can be no larger than a Star Destroyer or smaller than a Cruiser.

#2 The flagship can be any vessel that has been classed as a “flagship” of some kind, or any model classable as a battlecruiser or dreadnaught. You also have the option however to not opt for a flagship, in which case you will receive a boost to your capital ship pool. Furthermore if you flagship lacks an official name, you may give it your own.

#3 Neither orbital bombardment nor bombing runs are permitted under any circumstances in the course of the Kaggath, any faction caught engaging in such practices will be executed immediately by the Supreme Arbiter and their faction will be liquidated to pay reparations.

#4 The outcome of the space battle will be determined by the Arbiter mid-battle so that its impact can be felt in regards to the primary battle on the ground. The winning faction will take space superiority and so be able to cut off the enemy from resupply etc.

Suppliers & Organisations: Your supplier and organisations will act to fuel and support your factions operations as they wage war against their opponents.

Important Rules

#1 You are able to choose between one supplier and one organisation or two suppliers at the expense of an organisation. You must however have at least one supplier and you cannot choose two organisations.

#2 The role of the supplier is to provide armour and/or armament i.e. weapons, vehicles, droids etc. and are not allowed to provide anything else outside of these parameters.

#3 The role of an organisation is to provide anything else such as intelligence, criminal influence, black market assets, technology etc. they are also able to provide armour and armaments but not in large quantities, nor can they be a manufacturer.

#4 Both require a base of operations which you must choose it must be able to produce what your supplier provides, or capable of accommodating for the needs of the organisation,bit must be directly affiliated with them in some way though there may be exceptions.

#5 Whatever planet that this facility is based at will play a part in the Kaggath. Despite the battleground being the chosen planet, any individual/unit aside from your Head-of-State – including the enemy – is able to visit this planet to attack or assist it.

#6 The time it takes to get to and from said supply base from the designated battleground will play a part e.g. in how long it takes for your supplier to provide your faction with supplies or how long it takes for the enemy to reach your faction’s supply base etc.

#7 While naval forces do still exist, shipyards – regardless of whether present or not – do not, fleet numbers are therefore static and repair and resupply are not options.

Battlegrounds:

Each round in the Kaggath will take place on a predetermined planet capable of providing for the needs of the competing factions, and each faction will be given a territory before the match begins – however faction creators will be able to give their preferences. For the purposes of the Kaggath, only the selected battlefield and the supply & organisation worlds are initially accessible. However other planets that participants have influence and access on can be accessed in the Kaggath by both factions. Currently the possible battlegrounds are as follows:

Coruscant

Dromund Kaas

Tatooine

Naboo

Mandalore

Kashyyyk

Manaan

Makeb

Mon Calamari

Taris

Ord Mantell

My advice concerning planetary choices would be to make a faction that can adapt to all situations.

If you have any queries I’m encourage you to consult the rulebook, but feel free to PM me or post below.

But without further ado...

Let the faction making commence!

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I want to participate in this one. I really don't want to change my faction for the next Classic (mainly as I'm in love with it and worked hard on it). I also won't have time much this or next week (finals, cause I'm the youngster of the group :p) And, the minor ground forces I want can't really work together with the "have to have served directly under" clause.

I don't know. I think about it. Anyone want to persuade me? I recommend a good war/battle cry. Mine worked nicely to get the Kaggath posted before....

I'm not sure if I want to participate in this one. I really don't want to change my faction for the next Classic (mainly as I'm in love with it and worked hard on it). I also won't have time much this or next week (finals, cause I'm the youngster of the group :p) And, the minor ground forces I want can't really work together with the "have to have served directly under" clause.

I don't know. I think about it. Anyone want to persuade me? I recommend a good war/battle cry. Mine worked nicely to get the Kaggath posted before....

Lol, I'm not going to force anyone's hand. You can still participate with or without a faction.

Lol, I'm not going to force anyone's hand. You can still participate with or without a faction.

Lol, you think I don't know that? This isn't my first rodeo, Beni. Or Kaggath, as it is.

Oh, and I kept the green. For you ;)

Lol, you think I don't know that? This isn't my first rodeo, Beni. Or Kaggath, as it is.

Oh, and I kept the green. For you ;)

I know what I mean is that you shouldn't feel your missing out.

And very good.

Edited by Beniboybling

If you do not compete, then will I not be the only droid-avatar in the Kaggath? Who knows what could happen if that were to come to pass! Help me Canino, you are my only hope!

If you do not compete, then will I not be the only droid-avatar in the Kaggath? Who knows what could happen if that were to come to pass! Help me Canino, you are my only hope!

I can always debate on your behalf! And besides, then I may have to verse you. Still, I'm thinking it over. Beni, I may shoot you a PM to ask if I could use a particular force, even though they may not be technically available (to anyone for that matter). Well see.

If you guys need another faction I will throw one together, but I am probably going to be sticking out of this one like i said at the end of the last one. I prefer staying neutral as it seems the least stressful and most fun for me. I can more easily go pro's and Con's one way or the other based on arguements presented.

If you guys need another faction I will throw one together, but I am probably going to be sticking out of this one like i said at the end of the last one. I prefer staying neutral as it seems the least stressful and most fun for me. I can more easily go pro's and Con's one way or the other based on arguements presented.

So far it looks balanced

Aurbere

Beniboybling

StarSquirel

Karadron

Silenceo *me*

Warren-Stride

Though, how each faction is balanced so far has yet to be seen until it begins.

Besides, Neutral Parties are always a boon seeing how they tend to spot things that the biased perspectives do not, either on purpose or subconsciously. *Watch me get knocked out in the first round :rak_03:*

Edited by Silenceo

Sigh, why am I always last?

I'm guessing the imperium has been ripped to shreds for spare parts, so I'll submit my new faction that I'd planned, with a few minor adjustments, as soon as I figure out mah veeeehicles....

Edit: Sumbitted, Was hard without a list of taken, but done.

Edited by Selenial

Something I'd just like to point out is that the defintions infantry and elite infantry are relative to their organisations. What I mean by this is that for standard infantry you can have anything that was considered standard infantry within a certain group, even if they are bad@ss e.g. Death Watch soldiers (elites being the Supercommandos).

Noting however that these will appear in smaller numbers.

All right folks I'm slowly slogging through and I've received everyone's factions, I'll put up a list of taken units later today.

Also one other thing: Faction Names! Get on em!

Do we post the names here, or send them via private message to you?

I am sure if people have been paying attention to the rambling I have done during the last three matches of the last Kaggath, they will know my faction inside and out before it is even debuted, not including you ofc Beni. You can just check the faction submission message :rolleyes:.