Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

You Guys Are Not Listening At All - Good Luck with the 5.0 Launch

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
You Guys Are Not Listening At All - Good Luck with the 5.0 Launch

Tsetso
10.23.2016 , 08:55 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by IanArgent View Post
Or if the difference between tier 0 and tier 3 gear is minimal under the PvP combat model.
If you mean bolster, then yes could be exactly 0.

Tsetso
10.23.2016 , 08:57 AM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Actually, removing Expertise separates the wheat from the chaff amongst the PvP community. It'll be fun to see who falls off the Leaderboard because they were carried by groups to get the gear.
What carrying? You get minmaxed pvp gear in the current system by just leveling a toon through pvp.

KnightOfTython
10.23.2016 , 08:59 AM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsetso View Post
Unless bolster stays and equalizes the stats he new system will create a huge imbalance between player with highest gear and a newbie.
I guess you never played PvP with players that have expertise and don't have expertise, that was imbalance ...

Tsetso
10.23.2016 , 09:01 AM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightOfTython View Post
I guess you never playec PvP with players with and without expertise, that was imbalance ...
No, that was players who didn't care about pvp, but about pierce, 4x, conquest, whatever.

KnightOfTython
10.23.2016 , 09:02 AM | #225
No, that was players who didn't care about pvp
It doesn't matter, technically it is still imbalance and that's why it's being removed.
Responsible for mechanics are publishers not the players.

Something you want to understand first before you talk about balancing.

IanArgent
10.23.2016 , 09:05 AM | #226
If you mean bolster, then yes could be exactly 0.
There's going to be some difference between tier 0 and tier 3 gear, even if it's just marginal. Which is hard to do with a bolster. See my earlier comments about the overall difference between tier 0 and tier 3 gear stats being down in the 5% range.
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

robertthebard
10.23.2016 , 09:09 AM | #227
As i said owpvp is entirely different story. An extreme example of of balanced pvp is chess. Or any rts, or fps. Most of the mobas are fairly well balanced too. In any mmo there can't be real balance unless the skills are actually the same and differ only in appearance, but for instance ranked in gw2 was played with entirely equalized sets so there was no gear difference.
Having watched my nephews play CoD, what's balanced? Team play is rewarded, 4 soloists pays the price, which is what our current PvP model is fixing to learn the hard way because they won't have Expertise or bolster to carry them any more. In Aion, even in PvP instances, Dredge, there was no bolster. You went in with what you had, and did what you could. Team play could improve your chances, a group of soloists could spell defeat, no matter how well geared they were.

The only thing I see they need to change for WZs is brackets:

1. Entry level. Add a cut off for both Char lvl and Valor. If Valor reaches that cut off, then they move to the sub bracket, which would be sort of an entry level ranked for that level range. That level range should probably be 5 levels "wide", to make sure there's no "I can't hit him" moments.

2. Basic. This is the level where you're starting to have a bit more tools to work with, as far as rotations go. It should have the same level and Valor spacing as entry level.

3. Intermediate. etc. etc.

Doing something like this removes the "but he's level 69 in a WZ with a lvl 10", and removes the need for bolster. It is, after all, instanced. If ranks don't have enough players, then it's time to evaluate how important development money is for PvP going forward, or, as an after thought, it may be time to set up an "NPC team" for those PvE objective instances. Cut the rewards in half, and see how it goes.

Tsillah
10.23.2016 , 09:11 AM | #228
No, that was players who didn't care about pvp, but about pierce, 4x, conquest, whatever.
Yeah the interesting part of that is that even without double xp, the pvp dailies and weeklies are some of the best ways of leveling your characters especially when you are f2p/preferred. This attracts PvE'ers to PvP and their experience in PvP then ensures they come back as little as possible.
Referral link for some extras: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

Transcendent
10.23.2016 , 09:11 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
How about the part where gear is going to drop all the way to 69? As far as PvP is concerned, it's finally going to what it should have been in the first place: If you can't compete, you have no business in there. What are they converting the existing PvP gear to? Did I miss that announcement? From 1 - 69 you're going to be able to obtain gear the same way everyone else is, buying it, or getting it as drops in other content. That you choose to cut yourself off from one avenue of obtaining gear isn't BW's fault, and it isn't my fault, and it isn't Joe Casual or Dick Raider's fault, it's your fault. The issue with "I only want to do (insert whatever here)" is "I".
Well, if the answer is that "you'll have to buy the mods from the vendor same as everyone else has to", then they better be increasing the rewards for running PvP content, otherwise PvP players will not be able to buy the mods with the credits they earn from playing that game mode.

Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

robertthebard
10.23.2016 , 09:17 AM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Well, if the answer is that "you'll have to buy the mods from the vendor same as everyone else has to", then they better be increasing the rewards for running PvP content, otherwise PvP players will not be able to buy the mods with the credits they earn from playing that game mode.
Which comes back to "I" being the problem, yes? "I choose to run content where I don't have to pay for repairs, and therefore don't need a major influx of credits, so I should be rewarded differently than everyone else"? Really?

Quote:
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?
Hey, can I borrow this for the "Why do Casuals need NiM gear" thread? I've been asking basically the same question since the firestorm hit, but you know how it goes.