[Video] 1.5 Powertech Pyro PVP Guide

Sippix

One question, I've bought the eliminator pieces for the set bonus, and now i need to buy the next round of items for the power mods.

What pieces of pvp armour are you buying to rip out the power mods and enhancements?

You can look at the mods an item has in it to see what you need to buy before you buy it. Look for the cheapest piece of gear that has a +40 Power Mod and +42 Power/+52 Surge Enhancement. You won't be able to find both mods in one piece of gear, I can tell you that now. You'll be looking at buying one piece of gear for each Mod, and then another piece of gear for each Enhancement.

In the Shield Tech tree I see you put the final 2 points into Intimidation. Wouldn't it be better to take a point out of Rail Loaders and max out Intimidation? Wouldn't 2% more damage to all Fire effects be better than a 3% boost to just Rail Shot?

In this build, RS+TD (RS and TD are Kinetic damage) burst is our most effective damage setup. Even though we use far more fire effects, RS still counts for the largest potion of total damage done in fully optimized gear. You can track this for yourself by using a DPS tracker to parse your combat logs after a WZ.

You want to buff your highest damaging attacks for the burst. Having sustained damage in PVP doesn't count for much if you can't live long enough to put it out there (Pyros are semi-glass cannons). If you want sustained damage with higher survivability, it's better to go AP. However, I wouldn't recommend that if you plan on engaging in competitive PVP (RWZ).

I'm going to be making a key binding video very soon with tips and tricks. It will also include interface editor tips. Of course, it will all be centered around pvp, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be applicable to pve, as well.

Awesome. I am new to MMOs and have only one 50 (a sorc) but am leveling a pyro PT, so I have alot to learn! I haven't come up with a key binding set up I am comfortable with yet, so can't wait to see yours, and I really liked what I saw of your UI on the vid.

This stuff is great for a noob like me. There are a lot of huge pvp egos on my server, and while some are helpful, some are just smug or even agro. I really apprecieate the effort you have made here and can't wait for the next vid.

I turned 50 with my PT a couple of weeks ago, so I am very new with this class. I see that U dont have any accuracy enhancements at all, cant rail shot be dodged with the 5% defense chance every class got?

Great video btw, usefull =)

I turned 50 with my PT a couple of weeks ago, so I am very new with this class. I see that U dont have any accuracy enhancements at all, cant rail shot be dodged with the 5% defense chance every class got?

Great video btw, usefull =)

A lot of new Pyros stress over their RS having a chance to miss, but the truth is that you have a chance to miss, even with 100% Accuracy.

I've said it many, many times before - You do not need accuracy for this build in PVP. Yes, RS will, on occasion, miss. Missing with RS is not common at all, however. I only miss about 1-in-10 RS, and very rarely do I miss twice in a row.

Also, there is no amount of Accuracy you can stack to make up for the raw damage output of stacking Power and Surge. Stacking Accuracy means your crits go limp. When your crits go limp, your OAD suffers terribly. You're not just taking away Surge from RS, you're also taking it away from every other ability in your arsenal. That means your CGC, FB, IM and TD doesn't crit as hard. That means your TTK is climbing. When your TTK climbs, your survivability decreases, as a Pyro.

I'm curious as to what armorings you are putting in your belt and bracers?

Also, is the barrel from the eliminator set better than the barrel from the CT set?

Thanks!

I'm using Advanced Reflex Armoring 27 in both the belt and bracer.

There is no difference between the barrel you pull from the EWH Elim pistol and the barrel you pull from the EWH CT Pistol. All EWH pistols have War Hero's Decisive Barrel 27.

Yeah this goes more to proving my point. Don't get me wrong, good vid and some good damage numbers, but....you are in a premade, have heals coming very regularly, and are shielded almost the whole time.

Now when i try this spec (my stats are not as good as your's but still decent) my damage numbers are ok but i just get smashed. So the amount of damage i could do really doesn't matter if i'm dead more often than not.

So i'm asking, does anyone who solo q's go well with this setup?

Yeah this goes more to proving my point. Don't get me wrong, good vid and some good damage numbers, but....you are in a premade, have heals coming very regularly, and are shielded almost the whole time.

Now when i try this spec (my stats are not as good as your's but still decent) my damage numbers are ok but i just get smashed. So the amount of damage i could do really doesn't matter if i'm dead more often than not.

So i'm asking, does anyone who solo q's go well with this setup?

Did you even watch the video? I was not in a premade. I had a few heals a small amount of the time. There was no one putting their guard on me - that blue bubble is my Energy shield.

I EVEN SAID IN THE DESCRIPTION OF THE VIDEO:

A few folks had asked me to record an entire WZ instead of posting clips. So, after logging in yesterday, I recorded the first regular Warzone I played. I queue'd solo, so I had absolutely no idea who would be on my team, if I'd have any healers, or anyone to depend on for assist.

Most of the healing you saw me take was from my own Kolto Overload and WZ Medpacs. The first time I even get a single heal from Clemrrov in that WZ is at 1:39. The second time I took any heals from him was at 3:12, because I was peeling for him - like a good DPS does for the ONLY heal on their team.

I think you need to watch that video again - you obviously didn't the first time you say you did.

Hi there Malkiv! Your video is great and I've based my powertech on it. I tried pyro before without much success (didn't even have 4 eliminator pieces) and I got discouraged. Now though I'm rocking those WZs ;) Thank you!

My question is: Any chance you could link ur gear setup on askmrrobot? Amongst other things I have been concidering changing my power/surge WH implants for EWH with accu/power but I have doubts since the power increase is marginal and I get not very useful accuracy. So what's your setup?

Hi there Malkiv! Your video is great and I've based my powertech on it. I tried pyro before without much success (didn't even have 4 eliminator pieces) and I got discouraged. Now though I'm rocking those WZs ;) Thank you!

My question is: Any chance you could link ur gear setup on askmrrobot? Amongst other things I have been concidering changing my power/surge WH implants for EWH with accu/power but I have doubts since the power increase is marginal and I get not very useful accuracy. So what's your setup?

Thanks! I'm glad it could help you out.

As far as my gear goes, here is the link to my Askmrrobot profile. You'll notice I have have the 4 piece Elim set bonus, and the 5th set piece (my chest) is a CT armoring. The only reason I did this is due to already having the WH CT chest from a previous build months prior. Plus the CT chest came with a Power mod I needed, and the Elim chest only comes with crit mods. So, since I already had the Elim set bonus, I went ahead and just used my WH CT chest for the armoring.

I was also already optimized with WH before the EWH set became available, so I have only replaced the mods in my gear which are direct upgrades. I'm not using the low Power, Crit or Accuracy mods/enhancements that come with the EWH gear. In fact, after getting your EWH armorings and EWH barrel, it would be best to go back and min/max with WH mods/enhancements to flesh out your gear. After that, go ahead and start on the long EWH min/max grind, since you'll only pick up 1 point per stat, per piece, going from WH to EWH after you're WH min/max'd.

so has anyone tried this build/setup (without a pocket healer) in a pug and lasted for more than a few seconds?

I routinely get ganged up on 2 to 1 and the vast majority of the time I win the fight. In all honesty unless I'm outnumbered 3 to 1 or greater, I have little to no fear of getting killed at all in a pug.

If you are getting 'smashed', either you are not playing the class correctly, or you are going against well formed pre-mades on the other team.

This is a great pvp build, I have no problem rolling people with it at all.

Edited by Kazmtyh

Cool guide, Do you find Biochem & implants is better than something like Artifice & mods as well as Augments?

The primary reason you go Biochem is for the reusable Stims. The implants are a bonus, but the boost in Power you get from the stim can make a difference in a match.

• 3 weeks later...
The primary reason you go Biochem is for the reusable Stims. The implants are a bonus, but the boost in Power you get from the stim can make a difference in a match.

Like this guy said, it's all about the free stim. It's also 'okay' for making money at level 50 by selling Exotech-grade stims. It's also great if you PVE a lot, because you also get a reusable Medpac and a reusable Adrenal. It's really the way to go for your primary character.

Interesting guide, although a bit flawed.

First, the tech Crit Chance increase from Burnout is constant, and not just when the target is below 30% HP. Check this yourself by comparing your tech crit chance with Burnout vs. without Burnout.

You stated earlier that replacing any surge with accuracy will greatly affect your crit bonus damage. This is incorrect. I see in your videos that you are above 79% in your crit multiplier. This means you are so heavily into Surge DR that replacing surge rating with enough accuracy to get you to 95% ranged/105% special would only drop you 1-2% in your crit multi. This will ending up netting you far more damage, as most classes have a passive 5% defence chance, with Inquisitors/Consulars having a 10% defense chance. Besides the fact that missing a single RS in any kind of 1 on 1 situation is a death sentence, your rapid shots will also hit more often and therefore have a higher chance to proc CGC. To get yourself started, get the companion 1% bonus to accuracy (I noticed you were at only 90%).

Also, stacking all power and only power is mathmatically not in your favor if you are trying to do the most damage as possible. The gains from crit rating, especially in the 0-150 range, are very high. You will see about a +6-7% ranged/tech crit chance increase if you were to get your crit rating to 150. This is a very large amount of crit to be missing out on, and you will see yourself getting much more damage once you start adding a bit of crit. Personally, I have tried 0 crit, all power, 150 crit, and 250 crit. I found that maintaing 150 crit rating was the most profitable as I would still get 5k railshots, and it was about a 100k damage increase per WZ from 0 crit.

As for your build, I do like what you have and use it myself a lot. However, I would advise you to try out 8/8/25. This build focuses around higher hitting dots, and more powerful Railshots and Flame Bursts. You give up Thermal Detonator, but gain bonuses to Rail Shot (through 9% aim boost), which unlike TD, bypasses most of a targets armor and has a +15% crit chance. All of your elemental attacks hit harder (they also have crit chance increases), and flame burst does 6% more damage on top of that (which all bypass armor). Becuase CGC auto procs at the same time you Flame Burst, every time you FB its like hitting them with a TD, especially if it crits. I contantly get 2.3k flame burst + 1.6k CGC hits on my targets. The 8/8/25 nets me about ~150k more damage per WZ than your build.

Interesting guide, although a bit flawed.

Not really sure I'd use the term "flawed" since this is one of 3 popular builds for PT Pyro. It's more a matter or preference and opinion.

First, the tech Crit Chance increase from Burnout is constant, and not just when the target is below 30% HP. Check this yourself by comparing your tech crit chance with Burnout vs. without Burnout.

I misspoke in my video, and I believe I've admitted to it either in my video comments or in this thread - can't remember now. I, personally, understand how the Skill works.

You stated earlier that replacing any surge with accuracy will greatly affect your crit bonus damage. This is incorrect. I see in your videos that you are above 79% in your crit multiplier. This means you are so heavily into Surge DR that replacing surge rating with enough accuracy to get you to 95% ranged/105% special would only drop you 1-2% in your crit multi. This will ending up netting you far more damage, as most classes have a passive 5% defence chance, with Inquisitors/Consulars having a 10% defense chance. Besides the fact that missing a single RS in any kind of 1 on 1 situation is a death sentence, your rapid shots will also hit more often and therefore have a higher chance to proc CGC. To get yourself started, get the companion 1% bonus to accuracy (I noticed you were at only 90%).

I end up losing 1.86% Surge, to be exact. The additional damage I net with 94-96% Accuracy is actually marginal, and is easily lost in the inconsistencies of actual pvp combat. I have run four different Pyro gear builds on this spec and the only one that scored noticeably lower end-game numbers were builds pushing 35% R Crit (buffed).

Also, stacking all power and only power is mathmatically not in your favor if you are trying to do the most damage as possible. The gains from crit rating, especially in the 0-150 range, are very high. You will see about a +6-7% ranged/tech crit chance increase if you were to get your crit rating to 150. This is a very large amount of crit to be missing out on, and you will see yourself getting much more damage once you start adding a bit of crit. Personally, I have tried 0 crit, all power, 150 crit, and 250 crit. I found that maintaing 150 crit rating was the most profitable as I would still get 5k railshots, and it was about a 100k damage increase per WZ from 0 crit.

I don't have 0 crit. I actually have 48 Crit Rating to bump me to 23.51% R Crit (30.68% Tech / 36.68% Elemental). If you're scoring 5k RS on pvp targets with 150 Crit Rating, then they are not full EWH. The build I use maximizes DPS specifically for RWZ scenarios, where pulling Power to invest into Crit means you will not targets for 5k. If you do happen to land a 5k, it would be right at 5k and no more. This is due to sacrificing Power to pick up Crit Rating. Remember, I have tested these values extensively over months of gameplay.

As for your build, I do like what you have and use it myself a lot. However, I would advise you to try out 8/8/25. This build focuses around higher hitting dots, and more powerful Railshots and Flame Bursts. You give up Thermal Detonator, but gain bonuses to Rail Shot (through 9% aim boost), which unlike TD, bypasses most of a targets armor and has a +15% crit chance. All of your elemental attacks hit harder (they also have crit chance increases), and flame burst does 6% more damage on top of that (which all bypass armor). Becuase CGC auto procs at the same time you Flame Burst, every time you FB its like hitting them with a TD, especially if it crits. I contantly get 2.3k flame burst + 1.6k CGC hits on my targets. The 8/8/25 nets me about ~150k more damage per WZ than your build.

The sustained damage is not how to play a PT Pyro in RWZ scenarios. As a PT Pyro in RWZ's, you are setting up burst. That's most likely why you were netting lower damage with TD, because most people struggle lining up the burst and keeping TD on cooldown (which is critical). I've already topped 1mil damage with this build.

Aside from that, bursting heals and tanks cannot happen using Firebug specs (specs that remove TD and focus on Elemental damage while picking up Steely Resolve). Firebug damage is far too predictable and easy to heal through. Killing a PUG healer that is receiving no crossheals is not proving anything. These things must be tested and forged inside competitive pvp environments, such as RWZ's.

On a side note, I do have all class buffs and companion buffs, at this point. That video was uploaded in patch 1.5, but since none of the fundamental information has changed, there is no need to make a new video guide.

... no crit.... no accuracy.... no good

Like the other poster said 79% crit multi. is not a good choice. Your gaining at most 300 dmg on a crit.(Your RS prob hits about 6k(prob higher cause you have no crit) with accuracy(which doesn't cause you to lose power) your RS would hit for 5.7k and also only miss if a mara hit his cd's or a sin has his cd's popped. Other than that which no class hits them at that point you'd never miss.

I've started to go about gearing this way in the past. What i found is as soon as a dropped below 96.5 accuracy(in a real life pvp setting not a dummy) the very first RS i took i missed. I noticed many other misses throughout the match. I gave it a handful of matches and just too often as i was burning down healers, hitting my rail shot for the killing blow when they're sitting about 25% hp, i'd be moving to my next target and notice bam. The healers back around 60%hp cause my RS missed. It caused me to stick on top of healers rather than being more mobile moving on to the next victim. Where it was taking me maybe 1 rotation and a FB to kill a healer, it was taking me sometimes 2-3(extra 15-20) rotations all because of that one missed rs.

As for no crit., i don't really get this one. Cool your stiff hits harder cause you probably have close to 1300 power. I just feel a more consistent (oxymoron) burst, by having your fb, td, and RP crit more is the better route. Having your TD not crit is just about as much a killer as missing a rail shot. The crit on these abilities is what gives you your big burst. Non crit TD hits for at most ~2.5k FB ~2k ish RP ~2kish as well. Crits on those are going to be TD~4.8k, FB~3.5/4, RP ~4.2k. I just don't see where sacrificing ~15% crit your not taking is at all increase. Sure, you get added base dmg but i just don't think it's the best option.

All and all sure you may put up some giant number when you do crit. But, IMO gearing yourself out in this method is more of an epeen thing with huge crits on RS.Which is not the worst thing. I believe you'd be more effective balancing your stats around so your not wasting 250+/- points in surge getting hammered with massive DR. Lastly, i do not agree with what the other poster said about an ? 8/8/25 build for PvP. TD is a must in PvP like you said the damage is too smooth without it.

... no crit.... no accuracy.... no good

I have no idea who you are, except a guy that hangs around the forums. Not sure I'd be calling builds bad if you have no credentials for yourself.

Like the other poster said 79% crit multi. is not a good choice. Your gaining at most 300 dmg on a crit.(Your RS prob hits about 6k(prob higher cause you have no crit) with accuracy(which doesn't cause you to lose power) your RS would hit for 5.7k and also only miss if a mara hit his cd's or a sin has his cd's popped. Other than that which no class hits them at that point you'd never miss.

You're not going to hit for 5.7k on a full EWH geared player. You guys seems to get hung up on this thing about using statistics from killing under-geared PUGs in regular WZ's. I've never scored anywhere close to a 6k RS crit in a RWZ...ever. It's because on my server, only fully optimized competitive teams queue for ranked.

I've started to go about gearing this way in the past. What i found is as soon as a dropped below 96.5 accuracy(in a real life pvp setting not a dummy) the very first RS i took i missed. I noticed many other misses throughout the match. I gave it a handful of matches and just too often as i was burning down healers, hitting my rail shot for the killing blow when they're sitting about 25% hp, i'd be moving to my next target and notice bam. The healers back around 60%hp cause my RS missed. It caused me to stick on top of healers rather than being more mobile moving on to the next victim. Where it was taking me maybe 1 rotation and a FB to kill a healer, it was taking me sometimes 2-3(extra 15-20) rotations all because of that one missed rs.

Again, you're probably one of the people that didn't understand how to set up burst properly. My up-time on a EWH healer of any kind is 18 seconds at most. If you go watch my videos, I burst healers down in about 5 GCD's typically. That's around 8 seconds. If you're not instantly melting healers, especially Medium and Light Armor healers, then you're doing something wrong. In fact, on my server, I used to challenge healers to survive longer than 20 seconds. If they lasted longer than 20 seconds in a 1v1 duel, I'd give them 100k. I have never given a single credit out on that bet, after dozens of challenges.

As for no crit., i don't really get this one. Cool your stiff hits harder cause you probably have close to 1300 power. I just feel a more consistent (oxymoron) burst, by having your fb, td, and RP crit more is the better route. Having your TD not crit is just about as much a killer as missing a rail shot. The crit on these abilities is what gives you your big burst. Non crit TD hits for at most ~2.5k FB ~2k ish RP ~2kish as well. Crits on those are going to be TD~4.8k, FB~3.5/4, RP ~4.2k. I just don't see where sacrificing ~15% crit your not taking is at all increase. Sure, you get added base dmg but i just don't think it's the best option.

I actually have 1387 Power, giving me 665 Ranged Bonus Damage and 1021 Tech Bonus Damage. And I do have crit. I have enough crit to get me to 23.5% R Crit. 23.5 + 15 = 38.5% Crit Change for RS. That's more than enough to score a crit nearly every time, especially if I've popped EF (which I reserve for bursting hard target or clearing nodes). My crit on ED, RP and TD is 30.67%, with all Tech elemental attacks at 36.67%. Again, those numbers are more than generous. People get hung up on crit percentages, but even at 30%, the crits come very freely.

All and all sure you may put up some giant number when you do crit. But, IMO gearing yourself out in this method is more of an epeen thing with huge crits on RS.Which is not the worst thing. I believe you'd be more effective balancing your stats around so your not wasting 250+/- points in surge getting hammered with massive DR. Lastly, i do not agree with what the other poster said about an ? 8/8/25 build for PvP. TD is a must in PvP like you said the damage is too smooth without it.

It has nothing to do with epeen - It has everything to do with globaling heals and hard targets in RWZ. It's about being the absolute most effective single-target DPS in the game, and this build offers exactly that. No other build has come close to touching this one in RWZ matches. In fact, RWZ teams on my server have switched to my build because they recognize the effectiveness of it. Especially when my DPS is 200k over their top PT Pyro DPS who is running Acc+Crit.

PT Pyro is all about single-target damage. If this were PVE and encounters lasted more than 20 seconds at a time, I'd say definitely go for higher ACC and higher Crit, because it's needed for maximizing sustained damage over long period of time. But that's now how RWZ encounters work.

And I guess you did not bother to read ANY of my other posts, or even look at the comments in the video guide...because if you did, you would see where I said I've played with different gear/stat builds over months. There's a reason why I chose this exact build to use out of all I have spent weeks testing.

Not really sure I'd use the term "flawed" since this is one of 3 popular builds for PT Pyro. It's more a matter or preference and opinion.

I'm not saying your build is flawed per se, just your understanding of it and the class. I am however saying your gear is flawed.

I misspoke in my video, and I believe I've admitted to it either in my video comments or in this thread - can't remember now. I, personally, understand how the Skill works.

Good to know.

I end up losing 1.86% Surge, to be exact. The additional damage I net with 94-96% Accuracy is actually marginal, and is easily lost in the inconsistencies of actual pvp combat. I have run four different Pyro gear builds on this spec and the only one that scored noticeably lower end-game numbers were builds pushing 35% R Crit (buffed).

1.86% surge is marginal when it comes to actual numbers you are htting for. With 0 Accuracy, you will miss RS's. Especially against sorc healers/dps, where you cannot afford any misses. With 0 Accuracy you will miss 10% of the time against sorc healers, and 5% of the time against everyone else (more if they have +defence chance DCDs). This is no good. In rateds when you need to burst a healer down ASAP missing a RS can be the difference between win or lose.

I don't have 0 crit. I actually have 48 Crit Rating to bump me to 23.51% R Crit (30.68% Tech / 36.68% Elemental). If you're scoring 5k RS on pvp targets with 150 Crit Rating, then they are not full EWH. The build I use maximizes DPS specifically for RWZ scenarios, where pulling Power to invest into Crit means you will not targets for 5k. If you do happen to land a 5k, it would be right at 5k and no more. This is due to sacrificing Power to pick up Crit Rating. Remember, I have tested these values extensively over months of gameplay.

48 is too low. You are missing out on at least 5-6% crit. You talk about needing burst for rateds, but in your case your actual burst will be few and far between. And to be clear, I get 5k RS's against full EWH players in rateds and duels. I don't consider Non-Rated scenarios even worth mentioning. As for my experience, I have played this class since beta, and have been doing rateds since rateds came out on my Assault VG and Pyro PT. I have also healed on my Sage and Scoundrel against this class in rateds.

The sustained damage is not how to play a PT Pyro in RWZ scenarios. As a PT Pyro in RWZ's, you are setting up burst. That's most likely why you were netting lower damage with TD, because most people struggle lining up the burst and keeping TD on cooldown (which is critical). I've already topped 1mil damage with this build.

Aside from that, bursting heals and tanks cannot happen using Firebug specs (specs that remove TD and focus on Elemental damage while picking up Steely Resolve). Firebug damage is far too predictable and easy to heal through. Killing a PUG healer that is receiving no crossheals is not proving anything. These things must be tested and forged inside competitive pvp environments, such as RWZ's.

Like I said, I have tried all possible specs. I have gotten 1mil+ in both specs, over 1k DPS, etc. I can assure you I know how to properly set up burst with TD builds. What I am saying is that, if played right, the 8/8/25 is capable of higher burst due to harder hitting RS, and harder hitting FBs. I was dueling a full EWH smash jug yesterday and my FB hit for 2.5k and it procced a CGC tick for 1.6k. That is over 4k in 1 hit that is spammable, and almost completely unmitigatable. The biggest hit your going to get out of a TD, which is mitigated by armor, on a Full EWH player, is 4.5k, and that's only if it crits (no increased crit chance on TD, unlike elementals). Whenever I have fought or dueled healers they have told me that no TD is harder to keep themselves up through than TD, mostly because they pop a DCD whenever they see TD on them.

I have no idea who you are, except a guy that hangs around the forums. Not sure I'd be calling builds bad if you have no credentials for yourself.

I know enough and math backs it up that your smashing your head against the wall with diminishing returns. I tried a power build long ago like I said and missing even 1 RS makes it not worth it.

Honestly how can you burst when the only ability you have that crits on the reg is RS? Your TD and RS combo... TD only crits for you according to your stats around ~22% of the time(idk what 48 crit point equates to)... a 9-10k burst turns into 6-7k w/o a crit. And thats if your RS hits the target....

I was just throwing my 2 cents in, way to get all bent out of shape.