A real expansion

mathol

So, i was thinking, when will we get a real expansion for Star Wars Old Republic??

An expansion where you get like 10 more lvls and not 5(which you can lvl up easly within a few days)

An expansion where you actually will get on with the war, i mean we haven't really seen a lot of the real war/battle going on, just minor fights between smaller ships and groups

An expansion where we can continue with our companions/romance.

And maybe an expansion where both republic players and empire players get a chance to do a flashpoint, which will give us the chance to infiltrate Drumund Kaas and Coruscant

And maybe changes of companion for some new, interesting ones.

Well, I'm going to go with never. That's right, we're never going to get a real expansion although....EA would make some money on it. Say 200K subscribers at 60.00 for the expansion would be....around 12 mil. See EA, a real expansion would pay off and I was going low on the number of people who would buy it.

Well, I'm going to go with never. That's right, we're never going to get a real expansion although....EA would make some money on it. Say 200K subscribers at 60.00 for the expansion would be....around 12 mil. See EA, a real expansion would pay off and I was going low on the number of people who would buy it.

I disagree. I think they may come out with a full blown expansion, with some mini makeb type expansions in between. There was a long layoff on content for the F2P stuff, and now that all of that is over, I think you will see more of a focus on new content.

IMO, I dont think we ever will. It took them an entire year to bring this to us. They just dont have the staffing to do a large expansion. If you see them start hiring a bunch of people then maybe but this is EA. They dont hire people, they fire them.

IMO, I dont think we ever will. It took them an entire year to bring this to us. They just dont have the staffing to do a large expansion. If you see them start hiring a bunch of people then maybe but this is EA. They dont hire people, they fire them.

Their staff isn't all that small, actually. And they have been hiring new artists, designers, client tech since the fall. Haven't seen any QA positions open up, though. ;)

would people stop fixating on 5 levels? why does it have to be 10? by that reasoning, WoW haven't had a real expansion since Wrath of the lich king, since the last 2 "only" gave you 5 levels.

and you know what? I'm GLAD that gear gap is almost negligible. I'm glad that you don't ed up replacing all your gear with a bunch of quest rewards from the very few quests that you do, if you've been 50 for a while. and that you can still use your old gear to start on new end game content.

would it be nice to have more companion content, completely personal stories instead of personalized main ones? yes. but you do realize that it would cost 4 times as much, would take a lot more time to develop and would STILl be eaten up by eager player base in a matter of weeks.

this is a mini expansion. it was marketed as such. and its real enough.

Well you would also need to subtract development, publishing and hosting out of those costs. All of which would lower the profit significantly

would people stop fixating on 5 levels? why does it have to be 10? by that reasoning, WoW haven't had a real expansion since Wrath of the lich king, since the last 2 "only" gave you 5 levels.

and you know what? I'm GLAD that gear gap is almost negligible. I'm glad that you don't ed up replacing all your gear with a bunch of quest rewards from the very few quests that you do, if you've been 50 for a while. and that you can still use your old gear to start on new end game content.

would it be nice to have more companion content, completely personal stories instead of personalized main ones? yes. but you do realize that it would cost 4 times as much, would take a lot more time to develop and would STILl be eaten up by eager player base in a matter of weeks.

this is a mini expansion. it was marketed as such. and its real enough.

WoW just made it so that going through 5 levels takes just as long as going through more. Actually I'm pretty sure it's waaaay more XP to get from level 85-90 than it is to get from 70-80. Maybe too much, I am honestly just stuck at 89 on my second character and I feel like the bar never moves. I don't feel like I have more content just because I have to do more text based quests where I run and kill things and loot them and run back. Where swtor needs more work is in operations/flashpoints.

I do agree that we need more operations and flashpoints. more warzones/other type of pvp content would be fabulous too. more stories, variety of events, maybe more companions.

I'm just saying that 10 levels instead of 5 is not going to make an expansion more "real" and just having more content dumped in bulk at one time that you'd probably have to wait a long time for, doesn't make an expansion more valid or better than multiple smaller mini expansions spread across that time evenly.

to be honest, I'm kinda hoping that level cap stays where it is for a long while, and we get just more content for both leveling game AND endgame without extra leveling.

An expansion where you get like 10 more lvls and not 5(which you can lvl up easly within a few days)

In my opinion, the number of additional levels is totally irrelevant.

Makeb would be as good or bad, as it is now, even if it were spread over 10 lvl, 20 lvl or 0 lvl.

So, i was thinking, when will we get a real expansion for Star Wars Old Republic??

An expansion where you actually will get on with the war, i mean we haven't really seen a lot of the real war/battle going on, just minor fights between smaller ships and groups

An expansion where we can continue with our companions/romance.

And maybe an expansion where both republic players and empire players get a chance to do a flashpoint, which will give us the chance to infiltrate Drumund Kaas and Coruscant

And maybe changes of companion for some new, interesting ones.

Your "real" expansion will cost $60.

Hutt Cartel = $10.

Maybe Bioware fails at call Hutt Cartel as an expansion.

Their staff isn't all that small, actually. And they have been hiring new artists, designers, client tech since the fall. Haven't seen any QA positions open up, though. ;)

Well, it was small enough that it took an entire year for Makeb. I didnt know they hired more people though. Thats always good. I still dont think they have the team or funding to do a full size expansion. Hope Im wrong on that. Time will tell.

We almost certainly won't.

BW seem to have decided that it is better to release multiple small expansions more often than releasing 1 big expansion, and that decision is the correct one. Would you rather wait 12 months for 5 more levels then 12 months for the next 5 levels or wait 24 months for 10 levels? Same end point but the period of time between new leveling content is shorter.

Just as an aside complaining that you can get 5 levels in SWTOR in a few days is pretty meaningless as It took me about 7-10 days to get 10 levels with expansions I played in both WoW and LoTRO.

Ofc the levels are irrelevant, RotHC could have added 10 levels, each with half the existing XP and it would have been the same game.

I also think that publishers are getting away from large expansions; quicker is preferred over big and slow.

i would much prefer, for example, 20 hours of new content every quarter than 120 hours every 6 quarters, even though many would complain. It's content per year that is important, not content per patch. Hopefully BW can continue to make progress on that front.

We almost certainly won't.

BW seem to have decided that it is better to release multiple small expansions more often than releasing 1 big expansion, and that decision is the correct one. Would you rather wait 12 months for 5 more levels then 12 months for the next 5 levels or wait 24 months for 10 levels? Same end point but the period of time between new leveling content is shorter.

If waiting the 24 months netted us class story content that would then tide us over for a while, I'd rather do that then have a generic boring planet quest that I'll only be able to stomach with one character that tides me over for 3 days.

I should point out that the seeker droid and macrobinocular quests were a good addition, and the dailies for Makeb have drastically improved so they are making progress on the content that has lasting value front.

Edited by Korusus

If waiting the 24 months netted us class story content that would then tide us over for a while, I'd rather do that then have a generic boring planet quest that I'll only be able to stomach with one character that tides me over for 3 days.

But people would just complain about burning through that content too quickly as well.

Even if they did do a full on expansion pack they'd still need to do 8 different class stories, while also adding new flashpoints, operations, warzones, planets, and anything else people expect out of a full on expansion.

I am kinda hoping that BW was just to occupied during the last year that there could only be a mini expansion and there will be regular, genre-standard expansions in the future. an expansion that costs about 30-40, adds 10 levels and brings 10+ new flashpoints and several new operations and war zones (similar to burning crusade)

a real expansion.

Well, it was small enough that it took an entire year for Makeb. I didnt know they hired more people though. Thats always good. I still dont think they have the team or funding to do a full size expansion. Hope Im wrong on that. Time will tell.

It was not a whole year (well, it was, but read on). They admitted putting all projects "on hold" some time around making the switch to F2P until they see if they will get more money and EA's blessing to continue, or if they will be shut down as a failure (which would be sad, SWTOR is a great game).

Plus, people seem to forget that there is a lot of content beyond Makeb in RotHC.

Also, as an interesting side note, Blizzard's Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm could be considered a full expansion (priced at 40+ USD, which seems to be the logic people here use), and the playtime was roughly the same as half of the content in RotHC (makeb main story, one round of staged weekly). And we waited almost three years for that.

Also, as an interesting side note, Blizzard's Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm could be considered a full expansion (priced at 40+ USD, which seems to be the logic people here use), and the playtime was roughly the same as half of the content in RotHC (makeb main story, one round of staged weekly). And we waited almost three years for that.

nahhh. Starcraft2: Heart of the Swarm was no "real" expansion, cause ... em... yes... well, there were no new 10 levels or more... you know... content is totally overrated, the number of levels is all that counts :rolleyes: