SWTOR GSF Flight Stick Compatibility

-KeggER-

Are there any plans to implement flight stick compatibility? In SWG JTL, I never was fond of using mouse/kb. It would add a whole new feel if I could use my Saitek x-52

I do like what they've done so far. The physics are similar to that of the old SWG JTL. It's nice to have a star wars based space sim again =)

Edited by -KeggER-

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And throttle. We have go, we have go faster only when holding w. Boost with spacebar (which I'm fine with)

we have slow down, again only while holding down s. And we have full stop only with x ( which I can deal with). I would like to have a scalable, holdable throttle input. Yes, I am a flight /space sim veteran.

Not as important to me as having configurable joystick, but it is still a tactical consideration. I realize this will never be a sim but since Christmas is coming up I felt I should ask for it.:cool:

Are there any plans to implement flight stick compatibility? In SWG JTL, I never was fond of using mouse/kb. It would add a whole new feel if I could use my Saitek x-52

I do like what they've done so far. The physics are similar to that of the old SWG JTL. It's nice to have a star wars based space sim again =)

I was thinking you could map that x52 to any keyboard/mouse control through the software that came with it?

Yeah joystick is a must for this. I don't even want to get use to a mouse and keyboard so I will probably just wait till it's implemented. TrackIR support would be nice too!!

+1

Flightstick support should have been there already. BW's erratic mouse control scheme gives me a headache. I spend more time spinning in circles attempting to find the pointer than I do actually flying; I usually get it straightened out just in time to be picked off. While they're at it, they could add some camera controls, I would prefer to zoom in and have a HUD view instead of 3rd person. I would love to see TIR support, however, I find it doubtful that will happen.

The only time a controller or controller support becomes needed is if we have cockpit view.. Since we have 3rd person like the rest of the game.. We really don't need it and it would be awkward to fly in third person view..

All they have done is take what we had before off the rails.. That is it.. :)

I can't remember exactly where i heard it, probably someone mentioned it at one of the cantinas, but they said that they'll definitely find a way to put it in if enough people want it. And that certainly seems like the case.

They never said anything like that during the closed beta.. What was said is their typical soft no.. 'We have no plans for it at this point in time, but will look into it for possibly being added in the future..' Something along those lines.. Bioware has yet to say definitely about anything.. So I seriously doubt your claim is accurate..

Most people in the beta didn't think it was needed and it would make the controls awkward.. Your best bet is a 3rd party solution that allows you to assign controls to a controller..

Adding a controller to this would in many ways open a can of worms.. Suddenly people would want to use a controller to play their characters.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

I was at the Austin Community Cantina and asked this exact question. The lead developer of GSF said this. They designed the expansion with the a mindset that it had to be KB/mouse only for several reasons. First is they know everyone has a KB/M. They didn't want to make GSF a game that requires you to use a gamepad or controller or give an advantage to one group. Most of his answer was based around this idea.

I then was able to talk to him for about 10 minutes and by the way he is awesome and incredibly excited about what they created. I asked him about PVE and he said initially they worked on it but realized that the can of worms it opened at the time would lead to an even longer dev time. They decided to focus on PVP but hinted that PVR is a possibility.

He meantioned many times that these features will all be based on the popularity of GSF. If PVP shows a ton of interest,and activity then maybe we can get some PVE. The controller support will all be based around popularity and demand for the feature. He said I should start a forum post about it as he doesn't recall seeing many on the topic. I guess this is the first and we can see what kind of support we can get from the community. Even still I wouldnt expect anything for 6-9 months.

The only time a controller or controller support becomes needed is if we have cockpit view.. Since we have 3rd person like the rest of the game.. We really don't need it and it would be awkward to fly in third person view.. :

That is just flat out not true. I fly third person with a pad or stick in other games almost exclusively. Only time I switch to cockpit is for fun. Cockpit view has almost nothing to do with control other than realism.

They just need to add assignable controls to pitch yaw and roll. the only reason pads and sticks wont work right now is because GS steers by dragging the nose of your ship around with the mouse, not by flying.

Edited by Mallorik

That is just flat out not true. I fly third person with a pad or stick in other games almost exclusively. Only time I switch to cockpit is for fun. Cockpit view has almost nothing to do with control other than realism.

They just need to add assignable controls to pitch yaw and roll. the only reason pads and sticks wont work right now is because GS steers by dragging the nose of your ship around with the mouse, not by flying.

Agreeing with this 290%! The controls with mouse/keyboard are absolutely horrible. And the hundreds of post on here BEGGING for controller/joystick support should tell you that a LOT of us feel this way.

Me personally, I'll NEVER touch GS again until they add js/controller support. I wanted to like this sooooooo much too.

I don't understand why people are asking for flightsticks AFTER seeing the design of the targeting system.

The targetting system was designed with the mouse in mind. In requires precise movements of the mouse, especially when using blasters. If you want to to fuddle around with a joystick or flightsticks, be my guest. Don't complain when you can't shoot anything down.

Agreeing with this 290%! The controls with mouse/keyboard are absolutely horrible. And the hundreds of post on here BEGGING for controller/joystick support should tell you that a LOT of us feel this way.

Me personally, I'll NEVER touch GS again until they add js/controller support. I wanted to like this sooooooo much too.

The UI setup and targetting system was not designed with a flight stick in mind. I wouldn't recommend it.

The UI setup and targetting system was not designed with a flight stick in mind. I wouldn't recommend it.

Yea, that's the problem....the design imho (along worth many others opinion) stinks. None of my guild that tried it last night enjoyed it because of the controls. I WANT this to be successful. But the fact is they are going to push ppl away if they don't add some serious additions to the controls. If you like it like it is, then that's fine. All we're asking is for them to give us the option.

So why don't you understand that if they just gave the ship assignable controls and locked the reticle that it would work like every other flight game. Because almost all of them do exactly that when switching between mouse and js.

I flew in SWG JTL only with a flight stick. "Flying" with a mouse is not like flying at all.... This expansion needs flight stick compatibility and optional 1ST person views. Again it needs to be optional, so if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.... It's mandatory for me though

I flew in SWG JTL only with a flight stick. "Flying" with a mouse is not like flying at all.... This expansion needs flight stick compatibility and optional 1ST person views. Again it needs to be optional, so if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.... It's mandatory for me though

I agree SWG space flight was excellent. Space flight without the ability to use a flight controller sucks.

i'm not sure if this is worth of saying. But I used to play need for speed world. And it was a game mostly of keyboard only racing. And there was a program called xpadder. That outside of the game you would map your keyboard keys to your controller or joystick or whatever you had that you were comfortable with using. Not sure if this game would consider that an exploit or what not. I never really was into the joystick or controller at flying. It would be too much work for me to go to joystick or controller then back to mouse and keyboard between each match. But xpadder might work out if the devs or customer service lets you use that program. All it does is maps your keys to your controller.

I would very much like it if I could use my x-52 as well.