No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

bright_ephemera

The continuing adventures of Nalenne, DS Sith Warrior, comic book fan, and all-around train wreck of a human (Er, Sith-an) being. Her original story was told here; now, in the interests of keeping a manageable index, I'll throw any additional stories into this thread.

Assume Sith Warrior spoilers throughout. Spoilers for other class lines will be marked appropriately.

Chronicles will be placed in two timelines: CHRONICLES PAST, in which Malavai Quinn is dead but his ghostly presence persists on the S.A.B.E.R. Helicarrier (Nalenne's Fury-class ship); and CHRONICLES PRESENT, in which Quinn is back from the dead and re-involved with Nalenne. (Husband/wife terminology notwithstanding, they have certain reservations about formally remarrying.)

Index, CHRONICLES PRESENT:

1: In which Nalenne defends Quinn's job

1.5: In which Niselle executes a plan man was not meant to plan

2: In which Quinn reestablishes the corporeal dynamic

3: In which Pierce and Broonmark get ideas

4: In which Andronikos and Nalenne seek to relieve boredom

4.5: In which the sisters encounter each other at a bar (crossposted here)

5: In which Nalenne and Quinn strategize

6: In which Niselle throws some stuff away

7: In which Quinn voices an opinion on Andronikos

8: In which Nalenne gets dirty on Alderaan

9: In which the Wrath dines with the Cipher (I/IV)

10: In which the dinner guests chat (II/IV)

11: In which the dinner situation unfolds (III/IV)

12: In which some are satisfied by the meal (IV/IV)

12.5: In which Niselle contributes to cultural knowledge (crossposted here)

13: In which Niselle’s apprentice visits Nalenne (I/II)

14: In which win conditions are met (II/II)

15: In which two veterans catch up

16: In which Quinn is nice, for Quinn

17: In which an old friend makes trouble for the team (I/II)

18: In which the Wrath deliberates killing an old friend (II/II)

19: In which the Hand calls

20: In which Nalenne learns something surprising

21: In which Nalenne and Andronikos discuss life

22: In which Quinn struggles to get results

23: In which Pierce confers with Andronikos

24: In which Nalenne looks to the Jedi

25: In which the author is reminded in no uncertain terms that she hasn't updated in forever

26: In which the system seeks a new equilibrium

27: In which Nalenne does a favor and Quinn does his job

28: In which the Hand loses its grip

29: In which Quinn adds a legend to a legend

30: In which Nalenne's crew makes their priorities clear

31: In which Quinn recruits a Sith

32: In which Nalenne is uncharacteristically helpful to strangers (crossposted here)

33: In which Insanity Company gains two more officers

34: In which Jaesa makes a plea

35: In which Nalenne taunts Niselle some more

36: In which Insanity Company gets worrisome news

37: In which Quinn misses something

38: In which Nalenne meets a once and future ensign

39: In which Quinn finds a direction

40: In which Jaesa develops as a person

41: In which the party gets started in earnest

42: In which Sergeant Rusk considers a change of paths

43: In which Nalenne's domestic situation changes again

44: In which the Master extends an offer

45: In which Quinn notes where he was and where he's going

46: In which Niselle is really mean, again

47: In which Quinn makes a request

48: In which Nalenne learns a terrible secret

49: In which Quinn is offered a promotion

50: In which concessions are made before the Dark Council

51: In which, though this be Method, yet there is madness in it

51.5: In which Nalenne gets her way and also chocolates (crossposted here)

52: In which we see an operation

52.5: In which Nalenne enjoys the new domestic arrangement (crossposted here)

53: In which a faster search method is decided upon

54: In which Kira wants to believe

55: In which the Emperor's Hand checks in

56.5: In which Insanity Company discusses their weapons of choice (crossposted here)

56: In which Love, Legends, and History are discussed

57: In which desert planets continue to be terrible places (I/II)

58: In which peace is everybody's least favorite thing (II/II)

59: In which Quinn makes note of the chain of command

60. In which Nalenne picks up the trail

61. In which Nalenne finds a direction or two

62. In which Nalenne lands on Balmorra

63. In which Nalenne prepares to storm the castl...bunker

64. In which Nalenne and Rho confront the liar

65. In which matters are resolved

Index, CHRONICLES PAST:

Edited by bright_ephemera
adding TOC

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 1: In which Nalenne defends Quinn's job

Time period: In the first few weeks after Quinn's return to life

Nalenne strode down the main thoroughfare of Kaas City in what she hoped was an imposing and Wrathful way, rather than just a frantic power walk. Quinn kept pace, and he looked pretty good doing it, so Nalenne figured she was probably fine.

Note to self. Get Kaas city ordinances amended to allow speeders. Kaas City was a network of skyscraper islands separated by gaping chasms that fell hundreds of meters into mist and jungle. This was a very exciting city layout, but after several high-profile accidents, they had banned ground vehicles entirely. It was a betrayal of the very "survival of the fittest" principles the Empire stood for, but try telling that to the Committee on Public Safety (a standing insult to the Sith if there ever was one). At least the offices Nalenne was hurrying for weren't in the Citadel proper. They were in the first island of Kaas City's great high rises, so a fast walk would get her there.

She just had to beat her sister Niselle.

General Daman kept austere offices in the military headquarters of Dromund Kaas. Technically the armed services had some space in the great Citadel, but the general was notorious for his dislike of ostentation, so here he stayed, a harsh grey man in a harsh grey building issuing harsh grey commands to a harsh grey people. He was, to no one's surprise, a personal hero of Quinn's.

Nalenne didn't bother with the receptionist, and the guards had the sense to get out of her way. Her angry face was good for something after all. And perhaps Quinn's crisp uniform and air of dutiful determination placated the functionaries who might otherwise make a suicidal stand against a Sith.

She kicked General Daman's office door open and found the elderly soldier sitting at his desk, angled to face three officers lined up against the right-hand wall. Irrelevant. "General," she said. "I trust you've kept our last holocall in mind."

"My lord Wrath," he said through his harsh grey beard as he stared at her with harsh grey eyes. "Of course I respect your command, but you understand I am in a most difficult position." He bowed in place, then cocked an eyebrow at Quinn. "Captain."

Quinn saluted. "General." Nalenne got the impression that this was what qualified as warmth between these two.

"Darth Niselle has contacted me more than once demanding that the captain be stripped of his rank and dishonorably discharged," Daman told Nalenne.

"I'm aware of this. You will ignore her."

"When the Emperor's word is split like this..."

"Don't let's pretend the Emperor comes into this, yes?"

Only an eye trained by dealing with Quinn would have detected the subtle relief in the general's stance. "Yes, my lord."

"But he does," drawled an overly familiar voice. Niselle straightened from where she had been lurking against the far left wall. "Dear sister, how could you ask this poor man to defy the Emperor's will?"

"Show me someone who knows the Emperor's will and I'll show you a drooling cretin who could use a good slap in the face. Hi, Nis."

"Hello, Lenny. I feel it's in everyone's best interest for your captain to step down."

"My crew put you up to this, didn't they."

"What, I can't sabotage your husband's career on my own? Quinn's going down."

"Too late, hon. I got him back in the service and you won't knock him out again."

"Tsk, tsk. Let's respect the chain of command on this, shall we?"

"Rank-wise I am every bit your equal."

"I was more referring to the general." Niselle turned to Daman. "You'll find I'm a much more rewarding mistress than this one. Obey me. Simply discharge Quinn."

"Ignore her," said Nalenne. "Let the man who has served well, and been the first man in the history of the Imperial military to volunteer for active duty while dead, continue his career."

"The service through death was most impressive," admitted the general. Quinn glowed a tiny bit.

"Having the sense to do what I want is most impressive, too," said Niselle. "Honestly." She reached out and blasted lightning across the room, raising an acrid smell and rapidly killing the first of the officers standing by the wall. "Does that alter your decision at all?"

"I will not be bullied," said the general. "But if this is the Dark Council's decision...."

"Oh, it is," purred Niselle.

"Is not," said Nalenne. "You, general, you would listen to your own men, right?"

"I trust their judgment."

Nalenne turned to the second of the lesser officers. "You think Quinn should stay. Right?"

"I-I don't even know him, my lord."

"I can vouch for him."

"I won't," volunteered Niselle.

"Shut up."

"I - I - " said the officer.

Not helping. "Too late." Nalenne drew her saber and cut the useless man down. "Have you reached a decision yet, general?"

"I cannot just discharge an officer without evidence," he said. This was a bald-faced lie, but then, there was no safe thing for him to say here.

"The evidence is that as long as Quinn is in your service with a mostly flattering record, I'll be killing your people." Niselle zapped the last of the lesser officers. She drew this death out in a theatrical spray of lightning. "Do as I command."

"I think the first two established he won't be swayed that way, you dolt." Nalenne put her saber away, raised a hand, and started Force choking the general. "You. Let me know when you start seeing things my way."

"My lord, please," said Quinn.

"I am trying to make a point here, captain," said Nalenne, but she released the general.

Daman coughed hard, and then made an effort to sit up straight. "My lords, this behavior is - "

"If your next three words aren't 'Yes, Darth Niselle,' you will die," warned Niselle.

"Knock it off," said Nalenne.

"My lord, please," repeated Quinn, this time to Niselle.

"You're all insane," growled Daman.

"None of those words were correct!" screeched Niselle, and blasted the general before Nalenne could get an interrupting Force push into motion. "Nobody here is any use at all! I need to find somebody who's willing to fire your pet, Lenny. Who's the ranking officer left alive around here?"

Nalenne grinned. "Thanks to your efforts, dear, that would be Captain Quinn."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 2: In which Quinn reestablishes the corporeal dynamic

Nalenne and Quinn sat side by side on the bed, continuing the long tentative experiment of trying to interact without anybody stabbing anybody.

"I was relieved, my lord, when you turned your efforts toward restoring rather than destroying me. For more than the obvious reason. Either course of action could be considered justifiable under the circumstances, but I doubt your campaigns would go so well without me there to plan them."

"I would be of very little use to anyone without you, captain. I fed on my frustration over you for ages before I was forced to move to working with my terror of losing you...and my anger at keeping you. On such passions is the whole Sith Empire built." She paused a moment just to admire him. "How does it feel to be such a valuable member of society?"

Quinn raised his eyebrows in a brief signal of something approaching resignation. "It feels much like it always has, my lord, except with even less of a sense of control when you say it like that."

"Control? Just think how much worse things would be if I had some other addiction, one that wasn't asking me to be constructive from time to time. By any sane standard, you're one of the most important men in the Empire."

He pulled her into a tight hug. "Fortunate for us all that I found you, then."

"I wouldn't have anyone else."

A pause. "Not even Jaesa?"

She laughed into his neck. "Not even Jaesa."

He backed off enough to nudge her chin up until she could meet his eyes. "Strange of you, my lord, to have been so wildly insistent on pursuing the one person who is entirely willing to 'ruin your fun,' as you describe being kept in check."

"'Wildly insistent'? Me? I waited patiently for you!"

"As I recall, you withheld your approval on my last promotion until I agreed to kiss you."

"And then I waited patiently for you to comply. I was very nice about it."

"By your standards, yes. But you may as well have made it an order."

"What would've been the sport in that?"

Quinn regarded her with a look flickering between stern reproach and amusement. "You're fortunate I am better behaved than you are, my lord."

"You don't behave at all. For one thing, you still keep springing dramatic traps without telling me."

"You could stop me doing that if you really wanted to."

"I don't think that's true. Nothing stops you once you've made up your mind. It's one of the things I love about you, in a 'why the hell does obeying my orders always come out to you doing what you want' way."

"Doing what I want?" All at once he pushed her down onto the bed, pinning her arms but holding himself well clear in a maneuver that was only unusual in that this time neither one of them was really mad yet. "You do tend to be fond of those who survive any demonstration of being as willful as you are."

She looked up at him and made a face. "All one of them. And you didn't survive, technically."

"No, but you were terribly eager to get me back."

"I was planning on using you for my own dark purposes. Fondness hardly entered into it. Now come down here and kiss me."

"I have not yet decided whether that's advisable at the present time, my lord."

Using her Force-augmented strength to break his grip would be against the long-established rules. Plain muscle alone was only good for a defiant yet ineffectual wriggle. "Are you really starting this again? You are a hateful hateful man."

"You've mentioned that passionate hatred is the very basis of the Empire's strength. In encouraging that I am simply doing my patriotic duty."

"I got your 'patriotic duty' right here. "

"I’m fully aware,” he said softly, "but I wasn't going to rush it."

She glared up at him. "Blasted tease. I'll kill you."

"You've done that before." He lowered his head, ever so slightly, just enough to be beyond her reach when she surged up against his weight. He smiled a small sly smile. "I thought you wanted more novelty than that."

"Oh, and you're helping me with that, are you? You frustrating the hell out of me is the opposite of novelty! It's one of the fundamental constants of the universe!"

"And yet it remains enjoyable."

"Do you have any idea how long I've waited for you already?"

"I counted every minute. Since long before you knew. Approaching one point four million, if you're wondering. What's another five, or ten, or thirty, or three hundred…"

"You bastard." She kept straining. "I’m leaving you."

He kept out of reach. "Oh?"

"Yes." She gave up and fell back. Rrrrgh. "Any second now I am definitely leaving."

"Then you'll miss the interesting part, my lord."

"**** you."

"Not yet."

"I should've left you dead."

"You'll change your mind about that soon enough."

She studied his maddeningly handsome face while his infuriating smugness burned against her every nerve. "If you were right, which you're not, I would hate you for it."

He shrugged as best he could while holding her in place. "I could stop."

"Don't you dare."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 3: In which Pierce and Broonmark get ideas

Pierce leaned against the mess cabinets and gave Broonmark a tired look. "Shoot me," he said.

"Ggglob?" Broonmark drew his vibroblade and activated it, then presented it for Pierce's examination. "Glorble?"

"Can't shoot?" Pierce handed his blaster rifle to the Talz. "Here."

Broonmark considered the rifle, then Pierce. "Bbbluggr?"

Pierce jerked his head in the direction of Nalenne's quarters. "I'm going to die of boredom before she's done shagging that weasel." He held up a hand to forestall Broonmark's reply. "I know, we've been getting odd jobs, but it's nothing like a Wrath rampage."

"Good morning, guys," said Jaesa, entering and going straight for the cereal cabinet.

"Why are you so cheerful," said Pierce flatly.

"Because everything is finally okay around here and Nalenne is happy again?"

"Are you out of your mind?" inquired Pierce. "We're practically out of a job, all because he's making up for lost hours."

Jaesa blushed prettily. "I think it's a lot nicer around here now. It's like it was when things first got sorted out."

Pierce rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Sure, only louder."

"She did offer extended shore leave for us during the...you know, settling-in period."

"And let him completely reduce her brain to goo while we're not around to keep him in his place? Not likely. We need her working and we need her dealing with real human beings – or Talz – or else the captain'll be calling all the shots when next we step on board."

"Quinn counts as a real human being," said Jaesa.

"And that's where you're wrong again." Pierce shook his head. "We need something for her to do. Something really violent."

"Bggglg."

"And here I was hoping we could resolve this with a beach vacation," sighed Vette from the doorway.

"Vette, the only thing worse than the prospect of the two of 'em in there is the prospect of the two of 'em out in public. I'd rather she got to thinking about something slightly better suited to her."

"I really don't think any of this worrying is necessary," said Jaesa.

"But you're always wrong," said Vette.

"Haven't you seen how happy she is?"

Pierce growled. "Don't know about seeing, but I've been hearing it 24/7."

"Just give them time."

"It's been two weeks. I want my Wrath back," said Pierce.

"Why, Pierce," teased Vette, "I didn't know you cared."

He ran a finger over the detonator case at his hip and managed to grin. "Woman who makes trouble like this one? Was there ever a day I didn't?"

Broonmark had stepped out to fiddle with something. "Glorp," he announced when he was done, and beckoned them all out to see the big holo room screen.

A newscast was on, a broad scene of a chaotic, packed street bracketed by burning buildings. The newscaster was flanked by uniformed Imperial troopers with blaster rifles at the ready. "The rioting is getting worse as agitators take to the streets, demanding that Lorrd end its centuries-long neutrality by joining with the Republic. The Imperial embassy has been stormed and so far we have no reports of survivors..."

Pierce's face split in a wide smile as he watched. "Perfect."

"Blorkikop," agreed Broonmark.

Pierce turned toward the crew quarters corridor. "Now, we just...I'm not going to knock right now."

Jaesa's eyes went wide. "I sure won't."

Broonmark crossed his arms. "Blop."

"Nuh-uh," said Vette.

"Why don't I just fly us there," said Pierce, "and somebody intercept them when they come up for air." He rubbed the bridge of his nose again. "Whatever happened to Captain Work Work Work?"

"Seems to me he's worki-"

"Vette, do not finish that sentence."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 4: In which Andronikos and Nalenne seek to relieve boredom

Time period: Settled in after Quinn's return to life

Nalenne set down the latest Starslammers guest spot – the recurring-villain pirate crew was, in her opinion, the only good thing about the X-folk series – and answered the holo to find Andronikos Revel. Her brother-in-law waved a vague kind of greeting-salute thing. “Hiya.”

“Hey there. What news from Korriban?”

“Let’s see. Dust, dust, holocrons, dirt, and dust. How’re you?”

“Busy. Having fun. Pierce says hi.”

Andronikos grinned. “And I bet Jaesa’s dying a little inside right now, without knowing why.”

“Yeah, talking to you is bad for me.” Nalenne made a face. “All that ‘killing’ and ‘revenge-for-fun’ and stuff. You’re a wicked wicked man.”

“That’s why you girls like me. Listen, I was wondering if I might drop by for a bit, maybe get in on your next op.”

“Bored, are we?”

“Dust storms are the most action this planet ever gets.”

“I’d love to have you. Gotta check the taskmaster’s schedule, but I can probably drop by tomorrow morning?”

“Make it afternoon. I sleep late.”

Pierce kept a wary eye on the scenery below while Quinn took them down to the Korriban landing pad. “Nobody with rocket launchers yet,” he reported, sounding disappointed.

“When Nis takes me out, it’ll be with lightning.”

“Yeah,” said Pierce, “but you have other interesting enemies.” He wandered back to his quarters.

Andronikos showed up right on time – he was good about that – and Nalenne welcomed him into the holo room. “I have to ask,” she said, “are you here to kill me by yourself? Because that’s dumb even by Nis’s standards.”

The pirate shook his head. “Nah. I’m just that bored, and you were lucky enough to be the first person to answer my calls.”

“I’ve got some counteroffensive stuff on Corellia lined up. Could be good. Nis really has nothing for you?”

He shrugged and strolled past her to the reading nook, settling comfortably on her couch with his feet on the coffee table. Quinn, from where he stood observing, gave him a dirty look, which Andronikos disregarded. “She’s in with her ancient tablets again, you know? Tied up with Talos seeking some kind of ultimate power. Has been for days. She’ll call me when she’s ready for the blasters to come out. It’s all right.”

"Lucky for you, I always have time for blasters."

"That's why I keep you on speed dial."

The Corellian op, to everyone’s displeasure, was a bust. The military had gotten their act together long enough to take the immediate objective, and the Republic was playing it cautious, leaving nothing very interesting to storm. Nalenne heard the report and retreated to the reading nook to flop over and sulk.

Quinn followed her. “The strike team did very well,” he said.

“Quiet, you,” said Nalenne.

Andronikos sauntered out of the engine room. “Nalenne, your ship looks like an Imperial textbook had its way with it.”

Quinn scowled. “That’s rather the point.”

“Sure, if you want to perform like a textbook in the field. Dunno if you noticed, but they’re not the most exciting rides in the world.”

“Excitement isn’t the – “

Nalenne interrupted. “Quinn, remember who you’re working for. Andronikos, you going somewhere with this?”

“Yeah. Been having some fun with my own ship while Nis is busy.”

“Have you told her it’s your ship, not hers?”

He grinned. “She knows. If I wanted out, she couldn’t catch me.”

“You casing mine, too?”

“Would I do that to my sister?”

“Yes.”

Andronikos’ smile widened. “I was just looking around. Yours could use a few engine tweaks, maybe.”

“You won’t touch this vessel,” said Quinn.

“What’d you have in mind?” said Nalenne.

“First, a name change. ‘S.A.B.E.R. Helicarrier’ is the stupidest name ever, especially for a rig that is neither a helicopter nor a carrier.”

“Unacceptable. Any other bright ideas?”

He shifted his feet, dragging them across the coffee table to a more comfortable position, eyeing Quinn to make sure the officer appreciated his unsanitary efforts. “Found some interesting alloys on the black market. Line the reaction chamber for the hyperdrive. Actually act as slow catalysts for the fuel. Gets you some really nice results.”

“When it doesn’t rupture the casing the moment the reaction starts,” sniffed Quinn. “I’ve heard about this…experiment.”

“Hardly ever happens,” said Andronikos. “Not if you get the composition right, and I know some guys who never get it wrong.”

“My lord…”

Wet blanket. “Go be useful someplace else,” she told Quinn, and waved dismissal. He saluted stiffly and radiated annoyance as he stalked away.

“This stuff’ll give your ship a real kick. Decent sublight results, too. I think you’ll like it.” Andronikos laced his hands behind his head. “How’s the new life, anyway?”

“It’s great. It’s perfect. Some days I want to choke him to death again.”

“What’s stopping you?”

Nalenne wrinkled her nose. “The part where I’m still stupidly in love with him.”

“'Stupid' is right.” Andronikos scratched his ear and grinned. “Come on, I should take you to meet my supplier. He doesn’t know he’s my supplier yet, and he’s kinda heavily guarded, but I bet we can get the materials for your engine mods before anybody else cracks him.”

“I didn’t say you were touching my engines!”

“Wait ‘til you feel the results before you judge.”

“Hmph. That’s what they all say.”

He stopped mid-standing-up and fixed her with a stern look. “No, they don’t.”

Well, they would if anybody dared to be suggestive around the Wrath. “Why are you always calling me on this stuff?”

“Because I don’t trust your captain to do it. Come on.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 5: In which Nalenne and Quinn strategize

Quinn slipped into the mess while Nalenne was eating alone. She smiled in greeting. “You’ve got that look,” she said. “Job?”

“Yes. A Republic frigate fielding a prototype cannon will be testing in an uncharted sector not too far rimward from here. It’s a prime opportunity.”

“What’s the plan?” She leaned forward to listen. His mission briefings were the longest speeches he gave that didn’t involve yelling at her, and that made them really enjoyable.

“You and the goons can storm directly from the hangar to the command deck. I expect a strong guard response. The commander himself is a cautious man and will likely sequester himself away from the bridge, but there are only two or three suitable locations on the ship for him to work from, and once you have cleared the bulk of the guards and secured the controls you can come around for him. In the mean time I shall infiltrate the engineering deck and disable the hyperdrive and the power conduits to their experimental cannon.”

Her stomach flopped. “Alone?”

“I know the way and I can move quickly. Their attention will be on you, and you will need the full strength of the rest of the crew to deal with their automated defenses on the command level. It’s our best option.”

“You’ve got flesh again. It only takes one blaster shot to seriously inconvenience you now.”

“I’ve taken harder assignments, my lord.”

Nalenne stood up and moved to face him. “But you won’t have me. You’re going to get hurt.”

“I do have some experience in not tripping over my own feet, my lord.”

“If something were to happen to you…”

“Then your rage would propel you to cover the mission for me. If anything, it would help our cause.”

“That is exactly the worst possible reasoning. Malavai, I can’t lose you again.”

“I would hardly be lost. Even if I were fatally shot, it appears my spirit is stuck with you until you die.”

“That’s not what I meant.” She laid a finger at the joining of his collar and traced a line down his warm and pleasingly solid chest. “I can’t lose you again.”

Quinn sighed his trying-to-keep-his-patience sigh. “Nalenne, I’m flattered, but if it’s a choice between accomplishing Imperial strategic objectives and remaining physically available to you…”

Well, fine then. “If you die again I’ll quit working for the Empire.”

“No, you won’t. You enjoy it too much.”

“I’ll go rogue, start helping the Republic. Just to spite you.”

“That is a staggering level of spite.”

“I’ll manage it if you throw yourself away. Don’t take any unnecessary risks, Malavai. In fact, don’t take risks at all. Stick with me.”

Quinn slipped his arms around her waist. “It’s just another mission. We’re more than capable of accomplishing it. I trust you to do your part. Trust me to do mine, as I always have, and as I always will.”

“You’ve been known to choose some awfully fatal assignm-“

He interrupted her with a kiss, that gentle kiss that simply begged her to push up hard against him, suddenly fearing again that it would be her last chance. Because, you know, sometimes people who weren’t her tried to kill him, too. Most of them weren't as good at it as she was, but somebody might surprise her someday.

Quinn shoved her away a little while later. Familiar move. New thought. “You calculate that timing to balance sapping my resistance with maintaining my ability to see straight for combat,” she said accusingly.

“I do.”

“Could you pretend to be ashamed of this?”

“No.” He straightened his collar. “You should prepare for the mission, my lord. I’ll meet you at the airlock shortly.” He headed to the bridge.

Vette approached Quinn while he was guiding the Helicarrier out of hyperspace. She leaned against the wall and crossed her arms in a casual way. “Nice briefing I heard there. You planning on timing an entrance into the commander’s holdout to announce to both Nalenne and the ‘Pubs that you wrecked both the weapon and the escape route?”

Quinn gritted his teeth. “Perhaps.”

“You are so predictable, you know that? I can't believe she still falls for it. Anyway, the ship should be well defended every step of the way. You picked an interesting solo run to make.”

“Solo is greatly preferable. It would hardly do to have the likes of you at my side when I make my entrance.”

“Right, gotta make it a one-man show. I would spoil the surprise for Nalenne myself, but the only person who stands to lose in your secret-commando plan is you, so, carry on.”

CHRONICLES PAST, 1: In which Nalenne comes to a decision regarding Broonmark

Time period: Prior to Quinn's death; shortly after Broonmark's original recruitment

This entry is cross-posted from the fine Weekly Challenge Thread.

When Nalenne got onto the ship, Vette greeted her at a sprint. “It’s Broonmark, in the mess. You gotta come knock him out or something.”

“What’s up?”

“Ordinarily I wouldn’t interrupt a murder attempt on the captain, but Broonmark doesn’t seem likely to – “

Nalenne was already past her, running.

When she got to the mess door, Broonmark had one huge hand wrapped around Quinn’s throat and was lifting the officer off the ground while roaring in his face. The Talz waved one arm in the direction of the dish-littered kitchen sink as he held forth in a loud tortured gurgle. As Nalenne came to a halt, Broonmark threw the captain away, slamming him into the far wall.

When Quinn recovered he had his blaster out. “Hold,” ordered Nalenne, and Force pushed Broonmark against the counter. “Explain.”

“He’s a murderous animal,” said the captain.

“Wggglorpbop,” said Broonmark.

“Hey, I thought you were going to be my loyal and bad***-looking servant,” Nalenne told the Talz. “What gives?”

Broonmark shuffled aside and indicated the sink. A neat stack of dirty plates and bowls occupied the left half. Another bowl and a cup were on the right. Broonmark pointed at those two with one scythelike claw. “Wogglipprbl.”

“I don’t get it. He shouldn’t use those dishes?”

“Blop.” He didn’t seem satisfied.

“Um…he shouldn’t leave those specific dishes in the sink?”

“Blop.”

“He shouldn’t touch dishes at all?”

“RRBLOP!”

“I don’t understand what you want!”

“Rrgt.” Broonmark took the bowl from the right side of the sink. He presented it for Nalenne’s examination, then set it on the neat stack on the left side. “Gglorp.”

“Um,” said Nalenne.

Broonmark set the cup on top of the stack, then moved the faucet head to the now-empty right side and started running water. “Aggbp.” He grabbed a glass from the cupboard and placed it under, waving it around to demonstrate the free space before filling it up. “Rrgbp. Woggglort bblibbbl.”

“Um,” said Nalenne. “Leaving that half of the space free means you can, uh, fill stuff up and whatever, and then you can handle the dirty dishes at your leisure, and you clearly feel very strongly that this is a superior system to the one we had in place before you came along?”

“Blip.”

“And you had to try to murder my XO to get this point across?”

Broonmark turned his head toward Quinn. “Hgzzzzt.”

“You had to try to murder my XO just because?”

Broonmark nodded decisively. “Blip.”

“Can we kill him now, my lord?” said Quinn.

“No. No, I think he has a point, behind all the crazed aggression. We can go with this system.” She looked back to Broonmark. “But, we won’t be opening future conversations by murdering my crew. You’re teaching me Talz.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 6: In which Niselle throws some stuff away

Niselle called. She had her full god-awful yellow makeup on, festooning her face ridges in a smear of bright fake yellow pigment that thinned through orange to the faint natural red left beneath her heavy Dark Side corruption.

“Nis, you look awful,” said Nalenne.

“Lenny,” said Niselle. “I was in a bit of a hurry this morning, had to clear out of Dromund Kaas faster than expected.”

“That’s very exciting, dear.”

Niselle’s upper lip curled. “The husband got whiny. I decided to leave him behind.”

“That’s nice.”

“In orbit.”

“I don’t suppose he was enclosed in something at the time? A ship, a suit, a coffin?”

“An escape pod,” she said casually. “It was the best I could do on short notice.”

“So you just left him there.”

“Yes.”

“And?”

“Well, now Andronikos is drifting in a decaying orbit with a limited oxygen supply.”

“You’re his wife. You fix it.”

“The boy is intolerable. I’m sick of him.”

“So we’re coming around to why did you call me?”

“I thought you were fond of him, that’s all. Thought I’d give you a chance to keep him.”

“I would yawn if I thought it were worth the effort. Splash your drama elsewhere, Nis.”

“He would be touched to know how much you really care about your family. Ugh, anyway, there’s my ten o’clock. Ciao, darling.” The holo cut.

“What was that?” said Vette.

“Nis hoping I would freak out on camera. Jaesa, course for Dromund Kaas, now. Quinn, I want anything we can use to track an escape pod from Nis’s ship, Broonmark, have some medpacs and an adrenal ready in case he’s already in bad shape. Vette, Pierce, you’re on call ‘til we’ve got this sorted out.”

They made it to Dromund Kaas quickly enough. How long had Niselle delayed before calling? It would be just like her to trick Nalenne into rushing to rescue a corpse.

“Milord,” said Pierce, “she’s probably just tricked you into rushing to rescue a corpse.”

“Or a total absence of any kind of escape pod at all,” said Vette.

“Hey, it might be my brother-in-law,” said Nalenne, hurrying to the door. “Found it? We docking yet?” she yelled. “Airlock, Quinn. Hurry it up.”

The door finally pulled open, revealing a considerable expanse of sealing walls and a very small entrance to a very cramped pod. Andronikos Revel took one suspicious look up at Nalenne, then started pushing himself out onto the Helicarrier’s floor.

She helped him up. “You okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. But when our 2V kept saying he cleaned the vessel stem to stern? He definitely skipped the pod.” He coughed, hard. “That was disgusting.”

“What the hell did you and Nis fight about?”

Andronikos shrugged. “Not much. If she were really mad she’d’a killed me outright.” He rolled his shoulders and shook out his arms, then checked the blasters strapped to his legs. “All the same. Think I’ll strike out elsewhere for the time being. Any chance you could drop me on Nar Shaddaa?”

“You could stay here a while.”

“I can certainly get us to Nar Shaddaa,” volunteered Quinn, and hurried away.

“You could stay here a while,” repeated Nalenne. “We’ve got a spare bunk. You know our itinerary’s kind of tight a lot of the time, but I’d love to have you along for the work.”

Andronikos looked around the hallway, the airlock, the escape pod beyond. “You do make trouble like no one I’ve ever met. I could be convinced. For a little while, anyway.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 7: In which Quinn voices an opinion on Andronikos

“My lord. We have arrived at Nar Shaddaa.”

“Quinn, I never thought you were the partying type.”

“That was not my intention.”

“Are you doing a favor for Vette?

“That is never my intention. I was rather referring to letting the pirate off as he requested.”

“As he requested before we instead agreed to put him up in your old quarters and let him play with us for a while.”

“We have Pierce. We scarcely need another loose cannon. Also, they are my quarters.”

“What, are you not living with me?”

Quinn exhaled hard. “I…that is…my old quarters are required, for…storage.”

“I moved the Scarlet Nexu comics to the cargo bay. Though I think Andronikos just brought a bunch of them back to his room.”

“My room.”

“You don’t own enough stuff to need storage.”

“I can acquire something if it means there will be no room for him.”

“My ship. My orders. He stays.” Nalenne moved in close enough to whisper in his ear. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“That is a great deal of making up, and I’m still not sure you’ve ever paid off for Pierce.”

“I didn’t say I was paying for Pierce.”

“It stands to reason.”

“I owe you nothing for him. He was a formal military assignment.”

Quinn froze. “Very well,” he said through set teeth.

“Besides, at the ten point three minutes per day you were allowing, it would’ve taken years to make up for him by your calculations.”

“It’s true. You could simply eject him instead.”

“Nuh-uh. Who would make you so beautifully angry if I didn’t have him?”

“Jaesa. Vette. Broonmark. Niselle. You.”

“I like you when you’re angry.”

“You like me any way at all.”

“Embarrassing but true. But, since everybody else already makes you angry, Pierce and Andronikos can’t possibly make it worse.”

“Oh, no, they can.”

Nalenne almost jumped when Andronikos stumped onto the bridge. “So, we shooting something yet?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Do we have plans, captain?”

“I believe we’re out of work at the moment. And for the foreseeable future. You’ll be terribly bored. We’ve reached Nar Shaddaa, though. The door is that way.”

Nalenne pushed up on her toes to peer over Quinn’s shoulder at his console. “Well, apart from us being out of work, it looks like there’s an op on Alderaan that could use our attention. Major Killik love. Let’s go.”

I have to say I love the dynamic between Naleen and Andronikos (and if either of those are misspelled I apologize but I'm not going to go look them up). I like that they get along in this weird kind of truce/bond-from-dealing-with-Niselle thing. It's fun :)

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 8: In which Nalenne gets dirty on Alderaan

Time period: After Andronikos Revel comes aboard the Helicarrier

This entry contains spoilers for one possible variant of the Agent's Alderaan line. No information of significance to the overall class arc is included.

House Thul had issued an urgent call for help. Their efforts to reclaim the old Cortess estate from Killik forces had been violently repelled, and the Killik hive was now sending periodic sorties while Thul was trying to regroup for another assault.

Nalenne sat more or less patiently through the briefing and then hit the field with her crew plus Andronikos. “Captain,” she said once they had dismounted their speeders near the main entrance to the Cortess extension of the nest. “Plan?”

“Yes, my lord,” said Quinn. “I suspect we cannot trust the maps we are given, since the Killiks have likely burrowed entrances and exits to suit their own purposes. We’ll be going in blind. Ordinarily I would recommend setting charges and waiting to burn them out, but Killik patterns are to burrow deep or under solid rock, and we have no good way to plant charges where we’ll want them.”

“So blah blah, blah blah blah, let’s just attack already.”

“’Blind charge’ is never a good plan, my lord.”

“Sounds fine to me,” said Pierce. “We good to go?”

“Everyone set?” asked Nalenne.

“I still don’t see why we all have to come,” said Vette. “You still owe me a day off from the last time I saved your Captain Kaas crates from one of Broonmark’s chemical spills.”

“Hey, this is a risky job, like the captain said. I need all my people. Besides, there’s no kill like overkill.”

“Let’s do this already,” said Andronikos.

“You have got to be kidding me,” said Andronikos, in a tone more of disbelief than of horror.

“Welcome to my life,” said Nalenne. “Population: Rapidly declining.”

They had rounded another turn in the twisting, earth-fragrantly fresh tunnels beneath the eerie shell of House Cortess. Another wave of Killiks came hissing at them, all electrostaves and blasters and rage. Nalenne and her team engaged them: Vette, Andronikos, and Quinn firing from behind while Broonmark, Jaesa, and Nalenne carved in front.

“Milord!” yelled Pierce, at last, from someplace behind Nalenne. “Blew up every local hive entrance I could. Only clear exit left is behind us. Any angry bugs stuck indoors will be coming up here.”

“We noticed,” yelled Vette.

“Keep us lit, captain,” ordered Nalenne, and Quinn affixed another high-wattage battery-run lamp to the wall, illuminating the frantic combat in a decidedly disorienting mess of bright lights and long shadows. Underground fighting had some really cool effects like that.

They rounded a corner and found three humanoids amidst the Killiks. It was hard to tell details in the melee. Nalenne kept killing anything that engaged and swearing at anything cowardly enough to try to back off.

The humanoids were a problem, and Nalenne was curious. Finally she managed to slam one of them down to the ground.

Familiar slanted eyes stared up from a head surrounded by straight black hair. Nalenne couldn’t resist a smile. “Dahlia! I haven’t seen you in ages!” (*)

A wild, rapid clicking went up among the Killiks. The bugs all pulled back a bit. “Cease fire,” called Nalenne to her people, and then she addressed the woman at her feet. “These bugs aren’t yours, are they?”

The slim agent sat up giggling. “Oh. Oh, this is too good.”

“Broonmark,” said Nalenne sharply. She looked over to the only other movement in the room, which was the Talz straddling a particularly large Killik and stabbing it repeatedly with its own electroblade. “I said cease fire.”

“Not fire. Sharp,” quorked Broonmark.

“Knock it off.”

“Bzzlp,” he said disappointedly.

A tall lean man who looked human apart from blank black eyes took stock of the scene. “This was supposed to be a diplomatic visit,” he said, sounding both dazed and unhappy.

“It is. You’ve been very diplomatic, Vector.” Dahlia accepted a hand up from Nalenne as she spoke. “We couldn’t have foreseen such a hilarious bloodbath – gorgeous defensive moves, by the way, Wrath. Very invigorating.”

“Not bad at all,” added the Rattataki Kaliyo. She was the third and last of the non-Killik fighters, and along with Dahlia had figured into several ultraviolent girls’ nights out with Nalenne in the past.

“Please stop referring to the slaughter of the nest as ‘hilarious,’” sulked Vector.

“When it stops being funny, I will,” said Dahlia. “Lord, do you know how long it’s been since anybody posed a serious threat to the Oroboro hive?”

“Um…no?” said Nalenne.

“Do it again sometime. There’s no other reliable way to get a rise out of this one.”

“The nest is sending reinforcements,” noted Vector. “And will not stop doing so.”

Nalenne’s eyes widened. “Really? That’s fantastic.”

“You’re as demented as Dahlia is!”

Dahlia looked at Nalenne. Nalenne looked at Dahlia and Kaliyo. Kaliyo smiled a sly smile. “Yup,” said all three of them.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 9: In which the Wrath dines with the Cipher (I/IV)

This entry contains spoilers for one possible variant of the Agent's Alderaan line. No information of significance to the overall class arc is included.

Dahlia and Nalenne, once Vector and Jaesa had talked them into disengaging from the Killik hive, assembled their crews to dine in a private room in House Thul. Vector seemed…strained…at the decision, but it was convenient and Nalenne could bully their noble hosts into excellent service and a few hours’ relative privacy, so House Thul it was.

Nalenne let the seating fall where it might. Vette settled at one corner next to Nalenne. Quinn took the seat opposite Vette. Young Ensign Temple squeezed in next to Quinn and started comparing uniform details before he could so much as open his mouth to speak. Down Vette’s side, Jaesa, Andronikos, and Pierce; down Quinn’s side, Temple, Vector, Dahlia, and Kaliyo. At the foot of the table Broonmark took Doctor Lokin in a firm headlock.

“Is this really necessary?” inquired the doctor.

“I don’t trust you,” said Nalenne.

“I don’t trust him either. He is my friend,” said Dahlia. “Keep him there if you like – that looks hilarious – but you should at least feed him.”

“Take care of it, Broonmark,” ordered Nalenne. “Anyway, Dahlia, where’s your robot? She never comes out to play.”

“I think she’s insinuating herself into the planetary holonet. She thinks we’re too dumb for her anyway.”

“That machine is a walking security catastrophe,” said Quinn. “I am dying to know what information she extracts during these outings.”

“And you’ll never find out, cutie,” said Dahlia.

The servants started laying out the first of several courses.

“So I’m told that the most recent handbook had several changes to the parade formal standard,” said Ensign Temple in a sweet breathy voice. “But I haven’t managed to locate a copy. Do you have one, captain?”

“I do,” said Quinn shortly, and took another bite of nerf.

“I would love to get my hands on it sometime, if I may. Perhaps aboard your ship?”

Quinn stared straight ahead and chewed.

Jaesa eyed Vector curiously. “So you’re a diplomat? And a…Killik Joiner?”

“Yes, we are Dawn Herald for the Oroboro nest. We maintain some individuality while still being part of the greater nest.”

“That must be amazing. To be so aware of, well, a galaxy of life.”

“The Joining is a gift.” Vector smiled. “We are told that in some ways, the resulting sensory experience is not unlike Force awareness of a living place.”

Jaesa went all doe-eyed.

“Andronikos, was it?” said Dahlia.

“That’s the name.” Andronikos carefully lined up a slice of roast manka between two thick slabs of grilled nerf, and only started eating once he was satisfied with the sandwich's construction.

“I have to say, I love, love, love the gun style. Nobody trained back home handles it like that.”

“There’s a lot of things trained Imps can’t handle.”

“Maybe. But some of us are fast learners.”

“You had some okay moves out there,” said Kaliyo.

“Hm,” said Pierce, eating.

She grinned, lifted a drumstick to her mouth, worked it luxuriously with her lips a moment before tearing off a bite. Pierce comfortably ignored her.

“Rifle’s in prime shape, too,” said the Rattataki. “I liked the paint job, very ‘macho tough guy who isn’t trying to compensate for anything.’”

Lokin carefully sipped from the glass Broonmark was thrusting in his face. The Talz’s other arm held the doctor firmly in a headlock.

Lokin cleared his throat in genteel disapproval. “No, no, the Cortess red. The flavor is quite unique. I want to enjoy it while I can. I don’t know how we’ll manage when the supply runs out, since the Killiks don’t seem likely to cede the vineyards any time soon.”

Broonmark burbled ominously, but dragged Lokin over to the sideboard to pour the correct vintage.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 10: In which the dinner guests chat (II/IV)

“I’m sure your agent has much more direct experience with the skills relevant to your responsibilities,” Quinn was telling Ensign Temple. Nalenne and Vette watched.

“She’s wonderful,” breathed Temple, “but she offers neither the formal precision of the rules nor a certain…hands-on touch. Perhaps if you had some time, in private, maybe tonight?”

“I am afraid I will be quite occupied with my wife.” Quinn grabbed Nalenne’s nearest hand and pulled it forward to display the wedding ring.

“I wouldn’t want to monopolize you, darling,” said Nalenne. “Besides, I already know every trick in your book. Wouldn’t you want to share your wisdom with such an eager young creature?”

There was desperation in his eyes. “I have work to do.”

“I can help!” said Temple. “I want to know all the things a man of your rank can do.”

Vette tripped into a violent coughing fit. Nalenne did her damnedest not to join her. She instead summoned up her most sensuous tone. “Just think how…efficient it could be.”

Quinn kicked her under the table, hard.

Vector nudged his seat toward the space Temple had edged out of. Now he sat more directly opposite Jaesa.

“How do you stand it?” asked Jaesa earnestly. “Living so close to someone so…well, evil?”

Vector allowed only a small wrinkle in his brow. “We reflect on how much worse it would be for everyone, if we were not there to minimize the damage,” he said sadly.

“I know how that goes,” said Jaesa. “You did well back there. Talking the Killiks down so we could walk out.”

“It was walking or swimming, our way or the agent’s. Still, thank you.”

“So then,” said Dahlia, “I had to rig the whole museum to blow. Survival, right? I did snag a few choice items first.”

“So you do manage some private enterprise between doing tricks for the Sith,” said Andronikos. “Museum haul should earn you a pretty penny.”

“Oh, it did. I’m sure you’ve seen your share of easily-misplaced legendary valuables yourself.”

“Maybe. Ever hear of the Star of Gorinth? One of the biggest diamonds Balmorra ever produced.”

“Yeah, it was actually House Thul that had it for the longest time, wasn’t it?”

“Until about six years back, yeah.”

A pause.

Dahlia grinned. “No way.”

“Yeah. I usually don’t hit the megasecurity places – interception en route is more my style – but the chance came up planetside here, thought it might be fun, and now here I am enjoying a free dinner from these very same guys.”

“Ripping off Thul for fun and profit. That’s even better than the time I fed their little buddy Cortess house to the Killiks.”

“Wait, that mess out there was your fault to begin with?”

“Yup.”

“Tunnel work didn’t look bad, either,” said Kaliyo. “Me, I figure you toss a thermal detonator, good enough, but somebody made sure those tunnel exits were very neatly and very thoroughly blocked.”

“Was watching those sticky bombs you let off in the melee. Still using CWD models, if I’m not mistaken from the flash. You realize Dynatech’s about two generations ahead by now?”

Pierce swallowed in a hurry. “That’s a common misconception, I’ll have you know. The Dynatechs have superior energy yield, but the Czerkas still deliver far better shrapnel dispersion. If you’re looking to harm organics, give me a Czerka sticky any day.”

“You know that’s the first time anybody’s told me that instead of giving some blind company loyalty speech?”

“I’m only loyal to results.” Pierce grinned. “Well, and to her.” He jerked his head toward Nalenne.

“Yeah, whatever. You actually think about this explosives stuff. I like that.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 11: In which the dinner situation unfolds (III/IV)

“I was reading about the hand-to-hand techniques they’re advocating as standard training now,” said Temple.

“Have you actually eaten anything yet, Ensign?” Quinn said irritably.

“Oh! Yes, I’ve had quite enough. Thank you so much for caring. I was just saying about those manual techniques…”

“If you must know, I have an urgent assignment once this engagement is finished – “ he nudged Nalenne again with his foot – “and it is of a highly sensitive nature.”

Ensign Temple’s dark eyes widened. “That’s what I’m best at, captain,” she breathed. “Let me help you.”

Dahlia looked over for a moment and called out to Quinn. “Don’t worry, cutie, she’s like this with everyone.”

“Somehow that doesn’t make me feel better,” said Quinn.

“I hope I haven’t displeased you,” pouted Ensign Temple.

“You are quite satisfactory,” he said stiffly, “but I must decline any invitation of yours for anything anywhere at any time.”

“I did something wrong, didn’t I.”

“You mean man,” added Vette.

“Try to be kinder to our allies, captain,” said Nalenne.

“Permission to be exc-“

“Denied.” Nalenne smiled her sweetest smile.

“You are something of a diplomat yourself, are you not? As a representative of the Jedi ways, seeking harmony with the Wrath’s people.”

Jaesa blushed. “I would hardly call it – “

“It qualifies. Seeking peace amidst disparate elements through communication, it very well qualifies.”

“It’s kind of you to say so.”

“It occurs to us we have not asked. Do we address you as Master Jedi?”

“Oh, no. Just Jaesa.”

“Jaesa.” His voice seemed reluctant to end the word and let it move on. “We…are not accustomed to reading the finer social signs,” said Vector hesitantly.

“I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about,” said Jaesa.

“She never does,” whispered Vette to Nalenne.

“But it’s nice talking to you,” added Jaesa. “Maybe we could do it again sometime.”

“We…wouldn’t want to take you away from your work.”

Jaesa deflated, a lot. “Oh. Of course. I’m sorry, I – “

“That was us misreading signs, wasn’t it,” said Vector. “We would be glad to see you again, if you have time.”

Jaesa beamed.

“I saw your ship on the way in. Nice, but it seems kinda standard-issue.” Dahlia grinned at Andronikos between bites.

“Heh. She’s got it where it counts.”

“My X-70B Phantom’s getting upgraded as fast as they can develop the prototype systems. You should try it out sometime.”

“A guy gets attached to his ship,” said Andronikos, “and I like mine.”

“Hm. Can’t teach an old ship new tricks.”

“Got some good standbys. Ever done an atmospheric flip without singeing your own hull?”

“Yes.”

“Ever pilot that swing over by Kessel to shake the cowards off your tail in the middle of some heat?”

“Twice,” she purred.

“Huh. Ever stroll into an enemy’s base with nothin’ but your wits and your blasters, just to talk your way through to lining up a full room of unsuspecting targets in time for your lady friend to stroll in and fry ‘em all with her brain?”

“Hm. No, actually.”

Andronikos smiled. “I’ve gotten used to the best,” he said huskily.

“You did not get a Corellian carbine to kick that hard.”

“I surely did,” said Kaliyo. “Could do it again if I had to.”

“Maybe so. Y’know, you’re not bad, for an alien.”

“You’re not bad, for a thug. So you said you got comparable power out of one of your electrum one-shots? Everybody knows you can’t get that stuff stable enough to explode reliably.”

“It was a custom detonator job. Double-contact, difficult to trip by accident, also hard for any hostiles to use. There’s this thing you do with your finger that’ll let it all off at once. If you’re dexterous enough to manage it.”

“Is that a challenge?”

Pierce raised one eyebrow. “Call it an invitation.”

Lokin raised one half-pinned arm to push Broonmark’s proffered fork away. “This has gotten rather good,” said Lokin.

“Blip,” said Broonmark. They both held still and watched.

Nalenne and Vette stared down the length of the table. “That cannot possibly work,” whispered Nalenne. “Pierce is the most speciesist Imperial I’ve ever met.”

“Apart from Quinn,” Vette corrected. “But no, actually, Pierce is pretty open-minded after a drink or two.”

“Is not.”

“I’ve played wingman to him dozens of times. (*) Trust me, he won’t turn down an opportunity just because it’s got some stripes on its face.”

“Oh. So are we gonna have walls left by the time they’re done blowing things up?” said Nalenne.

“We can hope they just find a room here,” replied Vette.

“Let’s hope, then. What’s your opinion on the bug and our girl?” asked Nalenne.

“If one of them doesn’t jump the other soon, I’m going to be very disappointed,” whispered Vette.

“Agreed. Dahlia?”

“Don’t know why she’s trying.”

“Temple?”

Vette giggled. “She is just beautiful.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 12: In which some are satisfied by the meal (IV/IV)

“I need to go.” Quinn shot to his feet, yanking his hand away from where Ensign Temple had been reaching for it.

“You’re not leaving so soon, are you?” said Nalenne.

“I am,” he said coldly, and took a few steps away.

“Don’t,” she commanded.

“I fear I must, my lord.”

“You’re fighting, aren’t you,” squeaked Temple. “I’m so sorry.”

“Wait a minute, what?” said Nalenne. “We’re not fighting.”

Temple looked at Quinn, then Nalenne, then Quinn again. “I see now why you’ve been so tense, captain. It’s quite understandable, when one spouse has been wronged.”

“He isn’t wronged!” insisted Nalenne. Quinn gave her a significant look. “Oh, come on, we’re even by now.”

“Dahlia always says it’s very, very stressful dealing with a hostile partner alone,” said Temple earnestly. “I’ve heard of some very good techniqu-“

“Bugger you and Dahlia,” said Nalenne. “I’m not hostile. I would never hurt-“

Quinn gave her a particularly forceful significant look.

“Hmph,” scowled Nalenne. “I would probably not hurt you quite that badly again, unless you tried to shoot me again. Happy? Look, Miss Priss, for one thing I love him, which is none of your concern, and for another thing he’s mine, which is very much your concern if you have a single self-preserving bone in that nubile little body of yours.” She stood up to join Quinn. “Let’s go.”

“Gladly,” said Quinn, settling a hand at the small of Nalenne’s back and pushing for considerable-bordering-on-extreme walking speed as they headed out.

“I do love seeing you tormented,” said Nalenne as they went, “but nobody – nobody! – gets away thinking I don’t care for you.”

“Call me sometime, captain,” yelled Ensign Temple after them.

Kaliyo and Pierce quietly pocketed most of the sideboard’s ice cream toppings before excusing themselves. Broonmark finally let go of Lokin so the Talz could grab some jellied nerf blood and the doctor could go confer with a crestfallen Ensign Temple. Andronikos said something about tinkering while the engines were at the right temperature, and sauntered off in one direction while a miffed-looking Dahlia left in another. Vette savored her cake.

Jaesa and Vector finally stood up and headed toward the door.

“It’s been really nice,” said Jaesa. “It’s good to know you’re not alone in situations like this.”

“With the song of the nest, we are never alone,” Vector said beatifically. “We could bring you to listen someday.” He drifted closer.

“I think I’d…that is…I think…um. I’m a Jedi,” she blurted, and ran. Vector stood very still and watched her go.

“She’s not really an official Jedi,” said Vette as she sauntered up to the Joiner. “Here, hit me with your holofrequency. She’ll be in touch once she gets over herself.”

“She’ll be all right?” he asked.

“She has dealt with much, much weirder than you and come out okay. One prescreening question, though, are you actually attracted to women?”

“Er. Yes?”

“Whew. You’re way ahead of the competition.”

“How is it competition if they aren’t…?”

“Like I said. Much, much weirder than you. I think you’ll be good for her.” Vette winked and bounded off.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 13: In which Niselle’s apprentice visits Nalenne (I/II)

The slice-of-life and the media consumption just aren’t flowing for me lately. Have more crossovers instead!

In the interests of public safety, Quinn had secured a private room for Nalenne’s crew for their dinner on Nar Shaddaa. Pierce and Broonmark, upon hearing the news, decided to go elsewhere; Quinn, Andronikos, and the girls stayed to eat and chatter.

Andronikos took his drink and lounged against the wall where the entrance hallway let out into the room, which is why he was the first to notice the robed Kaleesh, a broad-shouldered alien who concealed his face behind a long bone mask.

“Xalek,” said Andronikos quietly, so as not to interrupt the room’s conversation. “Long time no see. What’s up?”

“I have come to serve my master by slaying her enemies.”

“Oh.” Andronikos grinned and shook his head. “Oh, no, you don’t want to do that here.”

Xalek moved aside and jerked a thumb over his shoulder as the huge Dashade called Khem Val came around the corner. “I do,” said the Kaleesh.

“Khem,” said Andronikos, “you know how this works.”

“Eeesh hacha dyna,” said Khem Val.

“Hey. I’m not Nis. You ever going to talk Basic?”

“Irrelevant,” said Xalek, and shoved Andronikos to the side.

“Hey,” said Andronikos, shoving right back.

Xalek added a Force push. He leaned his bone-masked face close to Andronikos. “By my lady’s will, you live. Stand aside.”

“You’ve really been working on the pretentiousness. Top marks,” said Andronikos as Xalek stalked past.

Khem Val rumbled some ambiguous acknowledgement of this statement.

Nalenne had caught the last of the exchange, and she pushed away from the dinner table and drew her saber as the two assassins entered. “Huh. That time of year already? We’re only missing Nis herself. And Talos, I guess.”

“And their Jedi,” said Quinn. His hand was on his blaster and he was gliding around the table to a spot from where he could easily step one way into cover or the other way into a prime speechifying position.

“That Togruta slave of hers is still alive?”

“Eees hai nawohl,” said Khem Val, nodding. “Tulak Hord vogashta.”

“I thought Nis would’ve fed Ashara to you ages ago. What else is she good for?”

Khem Val made an angry slashing gesture with one hand. “Roveshk. Cha Chabosh.”

Xalek, rather than participating in the conversation, extended a hand and let his double-bladed lightsaber flare dramatically to bright yellow life.

Khem Val put a heavy hand on the Kaleesh’s shoulder. “Eek yai. Vahashten Tulak Hord yevorrha. Reshtat.”

“Can’t I just stab her yet?” said Xalek resentfully.

“Vosh tai.” Khem pointed to a pale-faced Jaesa. “Vaha padawan, rek khai Yn zentan Chabosh.” Khem took out his own, light-ending Sith blade and started advancing on Nalenne. “Chabaa, nikh’tai Tulak Hord rho’ha.”

“Are there actually words when he talks like that,” said Jaesa nervously, “or are you guys also hearing nothing but ‘om nom nom’ over and over?”

Nalenne ignored her. “Your kid’s never gonna learn if you keep him out of the big fights,” she told Khem Val.

“Rek hai vashteta.” Khem Val advanced on Nalenne.

“Vette, Quinn, fire at will, but give Jaesa a chance to stretch herself before you press Xalek too hard.”

“We are here to kill you,” grumbled Xalek.

“You always are,” replied Nalenne. “My orders stand.”

Xalek turned to Jaesa and charged.

Nalenne turned her attention to Khem Val. The hulking Dashade had a few things going for him. One, of course, he was a millennia-old Force-eating assassin specifically chosen, trained, and paid to kill and devour Sith. Two, he had truly impeccable form. He could’ve taught the Soresu stuff at the Academy blindfolded, and then harvested and eaten the students’ souls without taking the blindfold off. Three, he was more than twice Nalenne’s size.

As for disadvantages, he wasn’t Nalenne.

Against someone younger, flimsier, or prettier, she would’ve maintained the schoolyard bullying style that got her through most fights. Here she got to experiment. Nalenne used speed – though he wasn’t slow – and subterfuge – though he wasn’t stupid – and she took a few bad hits every minute, but so did Khem Val. In a brawl with Niselle, he was a serious liability; here he was a playground unto himself.

“Rokh hai Yn – “

“Und Chabosh, yeah, I know.” Nalenne tried another improvised feint-and-attack. Khem Val parried, pushed her aside, never saw her rapid pass-to-offhand saber throw coming. One blinding hit, oh yes. Nalenne recovered her saber, admired the effect of one of Vette’s blaster sweeps across the Dashade’s broad shoulders, and then looked over to see how her padawan was doing.

The Kaleesh was pressing Jaesa hard. He moved with all the speed and grace of a headbanging Nautolan – strikes everywhere at once, no possible way of knowing exactly what he had been doing half a second ago or what he would be hitting half a second from now. Jaesa’s purple saber was shaking as she struggled to block.

“Rok Yn rashta,” yelled Khem Val approvingly.

“Oh, honestly, Khem. You’re not giving him anything new to work with. Jaesa, switch.” Nalenne Force pushed Khem Val against one wall and ran to change places with Jaesa. She took up her guard against Xalek.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 14: In which win conditions are met (II/II)

“At last,” said the Kaleesh.

“You looked like you could use the challenge. Come on, show me what you’ve got.”

“As you wish, my lord.” Xalek struck a pose, his yellow saber hissing. “Peace is a lie.”

“It kills me that Nis is raising such an adorable traditionalist.” Nalenne set her feet in Soresu form. “There is only passion.” Even Soresu had its aggressive moves, of course. Nalenne charged.

“Through passion, I gain strength.” Xalek blocked her first attack, then created a creditably dramatic Force Lightning arc between his hands and stretched the non-saber-holding hand well above his head before splitting the shining Force arc into a forked rush in Nalenne’s direction.

Nalenne absorbed most of it with a little concentration and a lot of lightsaber. “Through strength, I gain power.” She twirled, pressed Xalek back with a series of staggeringly powerful blows.

“Through power, I gain victory.” Xalek jumped back and settled in a balanced stance before shooting forth a perfect coruscating blast of Force lightning.

Nalenne paused mid-implacable-pursuit. She kept augmenting her saber enough to hold the onrushing Force current while she stood there. “Wait, you get ‘victory’?”

“Yes.”

“I counted those lines off wrong.”

“Ha.” Xalek intensified the crackling Force rush. “That is why you fail.”

Half a second later, the lightning died. Xalek grunted and fell to one knee.

Quinn stood behind him, fiddling with one glove while keeping his blaster idly pointed toward the Kaleesh’s undamaged leg. “You, on the other hand, fail for a number of reasons,” said the officer. “I’m really not sure where to start.”

Nalenne stamped her foot. “Quinn! I had this in hand!”

“You couldn’t give me an opening like that and expect me not to take it, my lord. Do you wish to subdue him from here?”

“Through victory,” pronounced the Kaleesh, “my chains are – “

“Shut up,” said Quinn and Nalenne. Without having to verbally coordinate, Quinn stepped aside in time for Nalenne to Force push Xalek mid-leap into the far wall. The Kaleesh’s saber bounced and skittered away. The Kaleesh himself dropped.

“How’s Jaesa?” asked Nalenne.

“Do I care?” said Quinn.

“Quinn!”

“Master,” yelped Jaesa.

Nalenne turned and leaped in the same motion. It took a rapid midair correction to get her saber deactivated and her feet set safely on the floor next to a thoroughly unconscious Khem Val.

“I did it, master,” panted Jaesa.

“Wow! You’ll have to show me how!”

Jaesa’s eyes widened. Her lip quivered. “You weren’t watching?”

Nalenne gestured helplessly. “I was fighting Xalek, and then Quinn did his thing. You know I can’t function while he’s doing his thing.”

“You threw me into that knowing it was life or death, and I prevailed. It was the greatest battle of my life.”

“He was straightening his gloves out. You know the glove thing. And he was sneering at the fallen foe. What was I supposed to do?”

“He definitely only shot Xalek and did his sneering thing to keep Nalenne’s attention on this side of the room,” reported Vette. “In fact, he specifically put his gloves on for that maneuver. But I was watching, Jaesa. You did awesome.”

“We’d better get these two home.” Nalenne shook her head and looked to where Andronikos was still leaning against the wall of the entryway. “Oh, and you. Whose side are you on?”

Andronikos gave her a lopsided smile. “Check the scorch marks on old Khem Val there. I can’t tell you how long I’ve been dreaming up excuses to do that.” He nodded at Jaesa. “Doesn’t detract from your work, Jaesa. You did good, for a Jedi.”

“Thank you for your assistance, Andronikos,” said Jaesa.

“Thanks for not shooting her and Nalenne in the back,” added Vette.

“Vette, most days I would call you smart. Were you really expecting me to side with Nis’s two most abject toadies over you guys?”

“Our side has Quinn.”

“Fair point. If I’d’a thought of that to start with this might’ve gone down differently.” Quinn scowled, and Andronikos grinned at him. “I know your girl doesn’t stand for friendly fire, but it ain’t friendly fire if I'm the one shooting.”

Vette nodded. “Now can we either leave, or dispose of them? They’re not gonna be any more cheerful when they wake up.”

Nalenne considered. “But if we could set Khem Val on Jaesa again once he’s awake, she could demonstrate…”

“No!” said Jaesa.

“Fine. Let’s go. I’ll let Nis know her pet acquitted himself very Sithily.”

“I’ll let her know her other pet got whipped by a twentysomething Jedi.” Andronikos picked up an unfinished glass of wine, smiled broadly at it, and drained it before heading out the door.

I figure if Khem Val does the Legacy speech, the first Inquisitor follower he's in a good position to train is, well, Xalek. Kind of a private-coach thing. And Xalek is just so enchantingly serious about his studies. That d'aww factor, plus the prospect of a good apprentice either offing his master (Niselle) or dying spectacularly in the attempt, keeps him on Nalenne's good side.

By the way, Nalenne had to expend some serious effort to recall the Code. She's lucky Xalek was handling half the lines. But again, when Enthusiasm McEarnestStudent gets like that, how can you not play along?

There is a definite personality trigger in some people that causes them to hear the Dashade's language as 'om nom nom' instead of words. I'm not sure yet whether it's a function of one's Jedi-ness or self-confidence or what, but Jaesa and possibly Ashara live in terror of this guy from his words (all two of them) alone.

Hahaha. The "Am I the only one hearing om nom nom here?" was hilarious. Khem probably could've taken them by surprise if he didn't have to launch into his "I served Tulak Hord and I'm gonna eat you blah blah" speech every time. I think you should make Jaesa a more skilled fighter, cus I imagine her (or at least my Jaesa) being able to seriously go toe-to-toe with Xalek, and more than likely win.