Practical or For Show?

Silenceo

One thing that has always bothered me over the years are the severe discrepancy where often times the things that look like they make sense tend to be beaten rather easily. On the other hand, some of the ones that look nonsensical manage to pull off crazy things that do not fit with their design.

I am talking vehicles, technology, armor, weapons, the whole armory.

Tell me about some of the things in star wars that fall under either of the two categories, Practical or For Show. Let us see why some crazy contraptions work so well, or why some mundane designs fall behind. Discuss, dissect, examine and explain your favorite pieces of star wars tech, after all, not everything is as it appears...

Practical:

DSD1 Dwarf Spider Droids #8-9

Shields Vs. Armor #14-15

For Show:

Holograms #10-12

Early TIE Series Star Fighters #23 and 24

Undecided:

Infantry #15*end* and 19

Corvettes # 18, 20-22

Imperial MK-I vs. Venator *standard load outs* #25-32

Sarcastic:

Beniboybling - For Show ;)

Edited by Silenceo

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I mean is express your thoughts on tech in star wars that either works well due to its design and why you think that is, or essentially odd tech and despite what would seem like design flaws, proves to be devastatingly effective.

Short Example:

AT-AT: All Terrain Attack Transport

Despite its apparent heavy armor it would seem to have severe disadvantages due to its inability to cover its flanks or rear. Not to mention the fact that it could be tripped by strong cables. Yet despite these obvious weaknesses it still manages to out do and decimate most opposition due to its "FORWARD FIREPOWER!" While not quite an ordinary design, it is not the most out there that I have seen before.

vs.

AT-TE: All Terrain Tactical Enforcer

Small, compact, heavily armed and armored. Its adequately equipped to defend itself in most situations and is able to scale sheer cliffs. A very practical vehicle with adequate usability in the field as well as being able to function in many adverse conditions. While it is not nearly as heavily armored than the AT-AT that it is the predecessor for, it does have much better agility when it comes to maneuvering.

Both are great machines, yet the AT-TE has vastly better practical use whereas the AT-AT is more of a weapon to instill fear into their enemies. Yet why did the Imperial engineers come up with such an odd design? Not sure, though I will attempt to stay out of the way of a AT-AT, their feet do not take kindly to critics.

The intent of this thread is to talk/discuss about the practicality or the design quality of vehicles/weapons/armor/tech we see in an environment where people won't be shunned *Curse you real life!* as well as allow us to see each other s opinions on our favorite vehicles.

Walkers in general are typically impractical imo for a society capable of repulsorlift technology. I mean, aside from the STAHP artillery or the clone scout walkers I can't name a single manned walker I'd WANT in battle. Basilisk war droids (flying, heavily armored and armed combat mounts that provide extreme mobility and versatility) are freakin amazing! But walkers... nah, I'll stick to a Juggernaut or repulsor tank.

How about droids! if you can make assassin droids as ****** as HK-49, HK-51, IG-88 etc.. what exactly is stopping one of the great powers in the galaxy from developing the perfect commando droid and mass producing it? Why didn't the Seps just convert all production of B1's into Commando droids? I mean, they can easily kill 4-5 clones a piece and capture Venators GUARDED BY JEDI seemingly effortlessly and not only that, they are expendable so a suicide mission isn't actually that bad, like one droid needs to make it to their reactor core and blow the whole damn ship. I like the YVH droids they are exactly what I'm referring to, I'll miss them, wish they'd been expanded on.

Eh, that's my rant for a while I'll be back to this thread soon enough though :jawa_evil:

Edited by StarSquirrel

Walkers in general are typically impractical imo for a society capable of repulsorlift technology. I mean, aside from the STAHP artillery or the clone scout walkers I can't name a single manned walker I'd WANT in battle. Basilisk war droids (flying, heavily armored and armed combat mounts that provide extreme mobility and versatility) are freakin amazing! But walkers... nah, I'll stick to a Juggernaut or repulsor tank.

How about droids! if you can make assassin droids as ****** as HK-49, HK-51, IG-88 etc.. what exactly is stopping one of the great powers in the galaxy from developing the perfect commando droid and mass producing it? Why didn't the Seps just convert all production of B1's into Commando droids? I mean, they can easily kill 4-5 clones a piece and capture Venators GUARDED BY JEDI seemingly effortlessly and not only that, they are expendable so a suicide mission isn't actually that bad, like one droid needs to make it to their reactor core and blow the whole damn ship. I like the YVH droids they are exactly what I'm referring to, I'll miss them, wish they'd been expanded on.

Eh, that's my rant for a while I'll be back to this thread soon enough though :jawa_evil:

True, though the reason I prefer walkers is their universality. Repulser vehicles can be shut down completely if the enemy has the correct type of jammer or the planet has wonky physics like Jabiim. Then again, I also tend to prefer the more heavily armored craft so that might be part of it.

Over all good details concerning walkers vs repulser craft. As for the droid thing, I think it had to do with Palpatines plan which caused major PIS. If the CIS had *and it could have* done that full scale it would have won swiftly. It could have just been a cost thing though, neither the CIS or the Republic were fitted for mass production of war products in a intense clash. Granted, the CIS was much better situated than the Republic, but near the end both sides were desperately getting loans from the banks.

Btw, when you said STAHP are you sure you didnt mean SPHA? Those things wreck, SPHA-T lasers:sy_blaster::sy_blaster::sy_blaster:

Edited by Silenceo

Btw, when you said STAHP are you sure you didnt mean SPHA? Those things wreck, SPHA-T lasers:sy_blaster::sy_blaster::sy_blaster:

Yes, yes I did. Long day and I was pretty much on auto-rant for some of that, figured I'd get the acronym wrong...

Also, I realize the cost issue for the Seps, but honestly had they completely converted just the B1 production alone to Droid Commandos they could probably keep up with Clone production easily while producing a droid superior to most clones and still having a standard trooper in the B2 for the times they need a presence on the open battlefield. Using the Commandos in boarding actions (which, lets be honest, happens ALL THE FREAKIN TIME in TCW) would practically decimate the Republic fleet. As for the lack of a massive army, the Seps ran around the Outer Rim and used locals to fight much of the time anyways so aside from a delay in any massive campaigns to take Republic aligned worlds, I think the Seps could afford to turtle and hide for a few weeks as production swung around.

Lets face it, TCW neutered your basic clone troopers and made Droid Commandos waaaayyyyy too ****** I mean, we SHOULD see the clones mowing down droids all the time, but they are fodder to anything but a B1.

Now, you mentioned Sidious's plan. Yeah that's why they didn't, but what annoys me is that they COULD have crushed the Republic. I mean, the Republic was LITERALLY shooting itself in the foot AND THEN RELOADING FOR ANOTHER SHOT throughout the war with no help from Sidious.

Yes, yes I did. Long day and I was pretty much on auto-rant for some of that, figured I'd get the acronym wrong...

Also, I realize the cost issue for the Seps, but honestly had they completely converted just the B1 production alone to Droid Commandos they could probably keep up with Clone production easily while producing a droid superior to most clones and still having a standard trooper in the B2 for the times they need a presence on the open battlefield. Using the Commandos in boarding actions (which, lets be honest, happens ALL THE FREAKIN TIME in TCW) would practically decimate the Republic fleet. As for the lack of a massive army, the Seps ran around the Outer Rim and used locals to fight much of the time anyways so aside from a delay in any massive campaigns to take Republic aligned worlds, I think the Seps could afford to turtle and hide for a few weeks as production swung around.

Lets face it, TCW neutered your basic clone troopers and made Droid Commandos waaaayyyyy too ****** I mean, we SHOULD see the clones mowing down droids all the time, but they are fodder to anything but a B1.

Now, you mentioned Sidious's plan. Yeah that's why they didn't, but what annoys me is that they COULD have crushed the Republic. I mean, the Republic was LITERALLY shooting itself in the foot AND THEN RELOADING FOR ANOTHER SHOT throughout the war with no help from Sidious.

Same logic could be applied to the Empire crushing the Rebellion. Though, not as great of a movie if all of the heroes die to an Evil Empire as if they never stood a chance.

As for the CIS being able to just turtle while they built more droids, heck, they could just protect the factories alone and nothing else and come out on top. Due to just how few clones there were comparatively they would be unable to break any dedicated defense. Its things like this that make me love stories, and vehicles, that have a solid build that makes sense *for example, if the CIS had played it smart and used their massive numbers to their advantage, and using air strikes where they had none. Instead of sending swarm-tactic droids into buildings one at a time in a slow march to get gunned down...*

What are your thoughts on the DSD1 Dwarf Spider Droid? Seemed like a decent light/scout vehicle with a good amount of fire power backing it up if it needed to fight. Though, its agility leaves something to be desired as well as its programming. *Heck, a lot of the CIS droids could use a boost in programming...*

Magna Tri-droids are my personal favorite (Got stolen from me in this next Kaggath though :mad:)

Dwarf spider droids I think actually have a neat story consering how they were developed and then pressed into service. They'd be an example though of how a droid walker would work were a maned walker might be less helpful. If they were faster and smarter I'd say they'd be leaps and bounds better than clone scout walkers.

I have to say, TCW portrayal of Clone Scout Walkers has me giving them far more respect though. If Dwarf spider droids could more almost as quick and nimbly as them I'd say the Dwarf Spider droids could be hands down the best scout. But I'm not sure about the dwarf spider droid as is... it is a little too clunky, maybe if it was more heavily armored or had multiple turrets.

Magna Tri-droids are my personal favorite (Got stolen from me in this next Kaggath though :mad:)

Dwarf spider droids I think actually have a neat story consering how they were developed and then pressed into service. They'd be an example though of how a droid walker would work were a maned walker might be less helpful. If they were faster and smarter I'd say they'd be leaps and bounds better than clone scout walkers.

I have to say, TCW portrayal of Clone Scout Walkers has me giving them far more respect though. If Dwarf spider droids could more almost as quick and nimbly as them I'd say the Dwarf Spider droids could be hands down the best scout. But I'm not sure about the dwarf spider droid as is... it is a little too clunky, maybe if it was more heavily armored or had multiple turrets.

Well there is the Heavy Dwarf Spider Droid which essentially tripples its firepower. Then there is also the Advanced Dwarf Spider Droid which has capital ship grade armor *its weakness is its eye* so it goes both ways, more firepower or more armor. Yet to see a dwarf spider droid with both sadly. Though, while Dwarf Spider droids may not be as fast as a AT-RT, there is the fact that they can move on any solid surface that can't be matched by most scouts. Even the standard version though has some pretty decent armor and alright firepower. Not to mention they have an almost probe droid like ability to send and receive data. Making them great for essentially *vanguard* units.

I give the AT-RT the edge in long range scouting, but I give the DSD1 the edge in terrain navigation as well as armor strength. Weapon wise they are some what equal since the AT-RT has a rapid fire and some times mortar launcher. The DSD1 only has its one cannon, but it can be set for either rapid fire or anti-vehicle fire. Besides, DSD1 doesn't need a pilot, they literally pilot themselves. Seems to me almost like comparing a speedy rabbit against a relatively fast tortoise that could climb walls. That rabbit might reach the wall of the ravine first, but the tortoise will go right up that wall. Not as great as an airborne scout, but then again, those tend to get sniped down quite fast as well as lack armor/weapons.

What do you think would have happened if the CIS had managed to update all of their droids integrated droid brains with a bit more efficiency/better targeting programs?

Side Note: I am not sure why, but I sometimes imagine the DSD1 almost as a sniper vehicle, though that might just be the long barrel and the ability to scale ceilings talking.

Edited by Silenceo

For Show: Holograms

Holograms, in my opinion, make no sense. Facetime, Skype, and other long-distance video technology we already have seems more sophisticated than holograms. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful for tactical readouts, observing a battlefield, or getting a 3D picture, but for the purposes of communication they seem pointless.

Princess Leia could have gotten the same point across by using a regular video camera installed in R2. Obi-wan, when he's on Geonosis and about to get captured, could have just face-timed for backup. Or, heck, most of the time those visual images aren't necessary at all! Why not just send a voice recording of a message?

Same thing can be said for Jedi Council members. Sure, it's cool that when one's away they're replaced by a hologram version of themselves so it looks like they're there. But really, a monitor on the wall that shows their face and allows them to see the room would be just as effective.

The only reason why holograms might be more practical is because maybe(?) they are able to travel interstellar distances faster than regular video? That might make sense? But really, no matter how you spin it, talking in real-time with someone light years away is impossible anyways.

I don't know, Holograms just strike me as 'for show' when it comes to communication. At least among parties that don't need to read body language to interpret what the other means by what they say.

For Show: Holograms

Holograms, in my opinion, make no sense. Facetime, Skype, and other long-distance video technology we already have seems more sophisticated than holograms. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful for tactical readouts, observing a battlefield, or getting a 3D picture, but for the purposes of communication they seem pointless.

Princess Leia could have gotten the same point across by using a regular video camera installed in R2. Obi-wan, when he's on Geonosis and about to get captured, could have just face-timed for backup. Or, heck, most of the time those visual images aren't necessary at all! Why not just send a voice recording of a message?

Same thing can be said for Jedi Council members. Sure, it's cool that when one's away they're replaced by a hologram version of themselves so it looks like they're there. But really, a monitor on the wall that shows their face and allows them to see the room would be just as effective.

The only reason why holograms might be more practical is because maybe(?) they are able to travel interstellar distances faster than regular video? That might make sense? But really, no matter how you spin it, talking in real-time with someone light years away is impossible anyways.

I don't know, Holograms just strike me as 'for show' when it comes to communication. At least among parties that don't need to read body language to interpret what the other means by what they say.

Most definitely, so many things concerning holograms do not make sense...Like why are they typically blue? Why not setup a system that essentially lets people just send typed words as quickly as they do holo messages... I am sure Obi-wan could have told the entire council about Geonosis without putting himself at risk like that if he didn't have to talk to them live via holo recorder...

Though, what do you think would be a practical use for holograms?

Though, what do you think would be a practical use for holograms?

Oh I can definitely see holograms being useful. We often see holograms used to display 3D images of space battles, enemy bases, or other military-oriented things. I think it's interesting how, on Nar Shaddaa in SWTOR, holograms are used to simulate... dancers. So in industries like the military or entertainment, holograms are great.

But, I would understand holograms being used in communications IF it was necessary to see the other person's movements. Particularly for diplomacy. Body language, especially in a galaxy filled with thousands of cultures, is probably a major factor to be considered when speaking with diplomats from other worlds. Being able to use a full range of hand motions, bows, cultural greetings, or other movements via hologram would be much easier to do than if the same were to be attempted with a 2D, one-sided video. So yes, holograms could be useful for diplomacy communications. But not practical to use every single time someone has to relay a simple message.

Edited by Warren-Stride

Oh I can definitely see holograms being useful. We often see holograms used to display 3D images of space battles, enemy bases, or other military-oriented things. I think it's interesting how, on Nar Shaddaa in SWTOR, holograms are used to simulate... dancers. So in industries like the military or entertainment, holograms are great.

But, I would understand holograms being used in communications IF it was necessary to see the other person's movements. Particularly for diplomacy. Body language, especially in a galaxy filled with thousands of cultures, is probably a major factor to be considered when speaking with diplomats from other worlds. Being able to use a full range of hand motions, bows, cultural greetings, or other movements via hologram would be much easier to do than if the same were to be attempted with a 2D, one-sided video. So yes, holograms could be useful for diplomacy communications. But not practical to use every single time someone has to relay a simple message.

Curses! You just made me imagine the mother of all ultimate star wars themed turned based, 3-d multilayered, both vertical and horizontal, turn based strategy games...Complete with Capital ships duking it out in the sky's as troops run for cover or advance on the ground....Now I want to play a game just like that...But I know no such thing exists :(:(:(

On a less boredom inspired daydream, would anyone want to discuss with me shielded vehicles vs heavy armor vehicles? Different ways to achieve the same end, though which is more practical? *EMP not included*

Heavy armour > Shielding, Mandalorians proved that on three separate occasions.

Also Walkers are effective, terribly effective, they move in formations for a good reason and protect each other's flanks.

Blizzard Force for example had AT-ATs move in a Hexagonal formation and with AT-STs in between each vehicle.

This was practically undefeated until Hoth, when they lost three AT-ATs before they even made it to Echo Base.

Heavy armour > Shielding, Mandalorians proved that on three separate occasions.

Also Walkers are effective, terribly effective, they move in formations for a good reason and protect each other's flanks.

Blizzard Force for example had AT-ATs move in a Hexagonal formation and with AT-STs in between each vehicle.

This was practically undefeated until Hoth, when they lost three AT-ATs before they even made it to Echo Base.

So what you mean to say is that walkers are more team players where as repulsor craft tend to be more lone wolf? *due to how they tend to be designed?* Though, it is good to note that sometimes walkers just are not a good idea, such as the narrow bridges on Mygeeto where they had to develop an entirely new heavy armor repulse craft since the AT-TE walkers were collapsing bridges. I believe it was the UT-AT. Then again, on some planets such as Jabiim walkers are the preferred.

As for your thoughts on the Armor>Shields I agree to that, up to a certain point. To me, it is more of an early game vs end game type of scenario. Shields are much more effective on lighter infantry/weapons since they help to shrug off the few blows that do end up hitting them. *See Droideka* However, once you start getting into medium or heavy vehicles, then armor starts to win out due to the weaponry that is commonly used being unable to penetrate it under ordinary circumstances. As for heavy infantry armor is certainly better if they are elite units *see Dark Troopers or Mandalorians* Space craft though, I easily give it to shielding. Firepower of that magnitude armor just doesn't seem as readily able to cope, though molecular armor has potential to even the odds.

Another way to look at is Shield = small scale battles *able to regenerate shield against shots landed easily* and Armor = large scale battles *mostly just due to the stable increase in durability*

Question: What would happen if a Phase III Dark Trooper managed to replace its jet pack with a shield generator? *Say one that would fit on a light/medium vehicle* Lose its mobility for increased troll level of survivability...* Or of course the Galactic Empire could just use hacks like it usually does and make a device that can work as a jetpack or a shield generator, depending on what they need. If they need to move, shut off generator and switch it to jetpack mode, land switch it to shields...* Don't dismiss it, you know as well as I that the GE would do something as trolltastic as that if they were given the chance, and the Dark Trooper project had not been shut down.

Edited by Silenceo

Question: What would happen if a Phase III Dark Trooper managed to replace its jet pack with a shield generator? *Say one that would fit on a light/medium vehicle* Lose its mobility for increased troll level of survivability...* Or of course the Galactic Empire could just use hacks like it usually does and make a device that can work as a jetpack or a shield generator, depending on what they need. If they need to move, shut off generator and switch it to jetpack mode, land switch it to shields...* Don't dismiss it, you know as well as I that the GE would do something as trolltastic as that if they were given the chance, and the Dark Trooper project had not been shut down.

I love it!

I've always thought that well trained and well equipped heavy troopers could be devastating. Star Wars seems to have a strange predilection towards light infantry, whereas with the technology available I would expect powered armor and highly mobile shock troops to be the dominant offensive force in an infantry engagement.

I love it!

I've always thought that well trained and well equipped heavy troopers could be devastating. Star Wars seems to have a strange predilection towards light infantry, whereas with the technology available I would expect powered armor and highly mobile shock troops to be the dominant offensive force in an infantry engagement.

On a completely unrelated note, lets discuss capital ships, if your interested that is, and perhaps compare designs to see which seems most *practical* and which is bizarre and *for show* :D

Starting small, Corvettes: Opions on

Tartan

Corellian

Carrack

and others you can think of.

Edited by Silenceo

I love it!

Technology also allows those light infantry to do way more damage than they should while still easily avoiding your shock troops. Asymmetrical warfare (which is insanely common in SW) rewards the swift and cost-effective far more than the force that could win any engagement but can't seem to engage the enemy in the first place. Think U.S. in Vietnam or Afghanistan.

They did well in every engagement but never seemed to get anywhere. It was the light infantry of their enemies wreaking havoc and avoiding direct fighting that kept the battle even.

Plus, equipping a Galactic Empire's army worth of troops with top of the line equipment is cost-prohibitive. Easier to train them to use less and make more of them when you're occupying (or retaking) a galaxy. Plus, in a galaxy with an almost endless supply of bodies it is far easier to get people than that expensive equipment.

On a completely unrelated note, lets discuss capital ships, if your interested that is, and perhaps compare designs to see which seems most *practical* and which is bizarre and *for show* :D

Starting small, Corvettes: Opions on

Tartan

Corellian

Carrack

and others you can think of.

Light cruisers make sense to me. Small, cheap, useful as patrol ship or part of larger fleets... They're design is compact and simple.

Tartans are perhaps my favorite corvette, Corellian corvettes are oddly designed but suitable I guess. Carraks are honestly what I imagine Earth's first dedicated cargo spacecraft will be like. The Corellian Corvettes are more "For Show" but the Tartan and Carrak look much more practical.

Light cruisers make sense to me. Small, cheap, useful as patrol ship or part of larger fleets... They're design is compact and simple.

Tartans are perhaps my favorite corvette, Corellian corvettes are oddly designed but suitable I guess. Carraks are honestly what I imagine Earth's first dedicated cargo spacecraft will be like. The Corellian Corvettes are more "For Show" but the Tartan and Carrak look much more practical.

While it is not technically a *corvette* it is the same size as one, and fulfills its role *not sure why they are considered frigates...* What are your thoughts on the Lancer-class frigate?

Side Note: Going to be adding a list of what is thought to be practical and what is thought to be *for show* in the OP soon, if no one has any objections? *If someone wishes to change it, merely bring it up and we can discuss that piece of tech again*

What are your thoughts on the Lancer-class frigate.

Love the concept, piss-poor execution. It is scary to be sure, but slow and under-armored which are things you really don't need in a capital ship especially one made to fight fighters.

For patrol missions and as a counter to small squadrons of Rebel starfighters it does well. However I'd require something with more shielding or armor and a much faster engine. Imagine a Ardent-class Fast Frigate armed with a crap ton of anti-starfighter guns and a few missile batteries (which would also give it some teeth against capital ships). That's how I'd have done it.

As is, it was a good idea but badly made.

How about TIE fighters? Any ideas on those?

Love the concept, piss-poor execution. It is scary to be sure, but slow and under-armored which are things you really don't need in a capital ship especially one made to fight fighters.

For patrol missions and as a counter to small squadrons of Rebel starfighters it does well. However I'd require something with more shielding or armor and a much faster engine. Imagine a Ardent-class Fast Frigate armed with a crap ton of anti-starfighter guns and a few missile batteries (which would also give it some teeth against capital ships). That's how I'd have done it.

As is, it was a good idea but badly made.

How about TIE fighters? Any ideas on those?

I like the idea of tie fighters and they require much higher degree of skill to use without being killed due to having no shields. Their offense is decent but their manueverability is superb. In the hands of standard pilots thu are great swarm tactic fighters but in the hands of an ace they are devistating. Though the farther down the line of ties go the more they seem to lose some of their agility but is made up for in the additional firepower as well as durability. Oddly enough of the tie series I think that the droid variant was able to capture perfectly how they were meant to be used. Small, agile, shielded, good weaponry, and can be linked to eachother for increased lethality.

I like the idea of tie fighters and they require much higher degree of skill to use without being killed due to having no shields. Their offense is decent but their manueverability is superb. In the hands of standard pilots thu are great swarm tactic fighters but in the hands of an ace they are devistating. Though the farther down the line of ties go the more they seem to lose some of their agility but is made up for in the additional firepower as well as durability. Oddly enough of the tie series I think that the droid variant was able to capture perfectly how they were meant to be used. Small, agile, shielded, good weaponry, and can be linked to eachother for increased lethality.

Sure, however lets restrict this conversation specifically to the three primary TIE fighters. The TIE/LN fighter, the TIE/IN interceptor, and the TIE/sa Bomber.

If you think about it practically, you spend years training and preparing your pilots for combat only to have them blow up if a random piece of debris accidentally nics their ion engines or careens into the cockpit. A single lucky shot from an enemy (or friend) would blow years of training hours and money out the airlock and considering they are designed for swarm tactics it is even worse.

Also, the limited weapon payload and lack of other equipment makes the TIE far less versatile, whereas its contemporary in the X-wing has proven to be extremely versatile, more durable, insanely better armed, has superior defences, is equally as fast (superior in atmosphere), has ejection seats, utilizes droids for in-flight repairs and maintenance increasing the survivability and long term condition of the ship in general. All while sacrificing just two things to the TIE, maneuverability and cost. In the end the sacrifice of all that equipment in the name of cheap and nimble not only didn't pay off, but it failed hard.

Tack on to all that the lack of hyperdrives and you could win a battle if you severely damage their transport's hyperdrive and comm systems. A retreat, no matter how prudent, would always be a bad idea when in a TIE.

I've played every simulator I could get my hands on, and read the X-wing series religiously and I have to say I can't find a single good thing to say about the TIE/LN. It sucks, plain and simple. Anyone who wants to fly one of those things should be committed to an institution.

The TIE/IN is the epitome of what the TIE series should hope to accomplish, and I like it (though modified versions with limited deflector shields and a hyperdrive are superior and more common latter in the war) for the most part. Still the lack of shields, it strikes me as idiotic.

The TIE bomber is sturdy, but I'd never want to fight someone in that thing. It is the worst idea ever, and kills two guys at once. The Scimitar replaced it with very good reason.

The TIE/D droid TIE is probably the ideal TIE fighter as you said, though I prefer my TIE Defenders :cool:

Starfighter squadrons in my opinion are far more effective than ship-to-ship exchanges ever were.

I still think the Venator-class was the perfect ship, sticking to overwhelming fighter waves rather than throwing your Capital Ships into direct line of fire.