Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 Had better be something special.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
1.2 Had better be something special.

mmjarec
03.12.2012 , 03:10 PM | #11
considering it took them years to develop the content people just blow thru i dont think they are capable of developing a system of engrossing quests that last a while. its basically like a dumbed down fast paced no content version of kotor.

ZedFighter
03.12.2012 , 03:10 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Whtwulf View Post
OK here is my rant take it for what you will.

So far the end game content in this game is a joke. My guild can complete KP and EV in one night with little no no effort and just pugging people in if the core group is not there. So in 2-3 weeks at about 6-8h most of them will be in full rakatta. Then what? What is next. Ohh nothing.

Then there is PvP, the reason I play mmorpgs. At one time getting to Battle Master was a big deal you had to WANT it. You had to have some skill to get the badges and a little luck with others voting for you so you could get the extra valor. Now they are giving the points away. 1500 points for a win was the max I had ever heard of anyone getting now people are getting 2500+ for a loss. Who cares if my team wins or loses just keep on going.

Now I suspect that bioware did all of the above for the casual gamer, many who were not able to compete with the power gamers. The thing is they have dumbed down the game way to much. Is there any sense of accomplishment when you hit Battlemaster or you get that Rakatta piece? For most people the answer is no. In fact they EXPECT to get them, after all everyone else has them why shouldn't I is the thoght process.

So yeah 1.2 had better be something really special or I see a bunch of people leaving. Lightsabers or not there is no reason to stay in a game that has little to no challenge to it.

Rayth-Cho-Mai
1.2 is not significant. People will continue to leave. And anyone that is gone, has no reason to come back. Give the game at east a year to be even slightly competitive.

Right now and for the foreseeable future, swtor doesn't do and will not do anything better than any other mmo. Same game different wrapper. Been there done that type of thing.
Okay, story, big deal. You want a story read a book.

tloops
03.12.2012 , 03:12 PM | #13
Yeah I would love to play FPS but haven't in years for some reason they make me motion sick which is odd since I never get that way anywhere else. So I have to take what I can get.
motion sick from a video game? thats the strangest thing ive ever heard
TOR...the best single player game on the market

kevlarto
03.12.2012 , 03:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaMayhem View Post
I hope you understand that 'hardcore' gamers are the vast minority in this game... casual gamers making up the bulk of players. So yes, they are trying to appeal to the majority of their players.

You have to learn to deal with that fact. I am sorry you don't feel like a special snowflake anymore.
Bingo, along with the fact most peope are NOT has hardcore as they think they are..
Patch 1.2 will a nice patch, if anyone thinks its going to be the mother load of all game patches in the known universe, I am sure will be disapointed.

Games post wow are driven by the casual player, since wow woke them up, I am not saying anything wrong with that, but companies follow the business models that have been proven to make money..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

MPagano
03.12.2012 , 03:22 PM | #15
Then there is PvP, the reason I play mmorpgs. At one time getting to Battle Master was a big deal you had to WANT it. You had to have some skill to get the badges and a little luck with others voting for you so you could get the extra valor. Now they are giving the points away. 1500 points for a win was the max I had ever heard of anyone getting now people are getting 2500+ for a loss. Who cares if my team wins or loses just keep on going.
If you play MMOs to PvP, and you feel that getting Battlemaster was an indication of anything then you might be stuck in an awkward niche of players who will never be satisfied with the design of games like TOR.

The reason I say that is because I play MMOs to PvP, and I have many friends who are the same. Nothing about the current incarnation of valor ranks and gear tiers is related to performance in PvP. "PvP"ers in MMOs aren't concerned with gear progression. In particular, valor rank was simply a direct proportion of time spent. You didn't have to win or lose, you simply had to collect a certain number of medals, build valor up high enough from playing, and then purchase gear. No real PvP player I've spoken with is terribly concerned with replacing their battlemaster gear with an unrestricted gear set. Many of them welcome the idea because it will provide more people who can compete based on skill. More will be attracted to the game if they feel that they can improve themselves in a more engaging manner than spending X hours to equip so many items.

People who are more PvE minded (concerned with gear progressions and other game mechanic-related improvements) and play PvP prefer the sort of valor system in place because they aren't as concerned with practicing PvP tactics as much as they are concerned with acquiring some virtual progression.

Valkon
03.12.2012 , 03:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaMayhem View Post
How does catering to hardcores help everyone?

They are simply trying to appeal to the largest group of players... casuals.
Catering to the hardcore, and making a game that keeps them playing 6-8 hours a day means that your 'casual' players will be with the game a lot longer and never get bored.

Replaying content is the stupidest idea to come into the gaming industry, and has greatly set pack the chances for innovation in PvE.

This game has 90% of it's content through the single player story line. It is a game to play for a few months, then put it down for a year, and re-sub for a month every year or so to do the new stuff. BioWare has shown us that they can't churn out content at any effective speed.

+1 to the games that charge 3x as much as they should. When you target the casual crowd the subscription price should drop as much as the difference between the casual and hardcore play times. Same exact problem DCUO had.

The Box cost pays for the storylines and the subscription pays for the repeatable content. In this case, the repeatable content should be a $5/month subscription.
The best end game, is a sandbox.
Yes, I complain, I got a CE, and I don't regret it.
Complaints drive progress!

Vydor_HC
03.12.2012 , 03:24 PM | #17
I cannot wait for rated PvP. Not that I will be playing any, but I'm interested in the effect it's going to have on that part of the game.

"And we don't need the ladies crying cuz the story's sad."

OmegaMayhem
03.12.2012 , 03:25 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
BioWare has shown us that they can't churn out content at any effective speed.
Say what? This is their first MMO... how have they shown that?

They are releasing major content less than 4 months after release. It's only the 'hardcore content locusts' that feel that content isn't being released quick enough.

Azzras
03.12.2012 , 03:30 PM | #19
People keep using the word joke.

I don't think they know what that means.

Edit:

And battlemaster doesn't take skills. It takes time.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)

Bowlan
03.12.2012 , 03:34 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by grucho View Post
Minority or not, catering to hardcore benefits both groups. WoW used to do that and they had the best mmo back in vanilla and tbc. Now see how bad that game is when they started catering to casuals and bads, abomination of a game it used to be.
That's a load. Vanilla WoW had no benefit to PvP, until they implemented battlefields. Before that, it was just Tauren Hill. Once they did implement battlefields and rewards, many complained about the system implemented. Eventually, Blizzard "dumbed" it down for the rest of the players.