Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 Had better be something special.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
1.2 Had better be something special.

Whtwulf
03.12.2012 , 02:00 PM | #1
OK here is my rant take it for what you will.

So far the end game content in this game is a joke. My guild can complete KP and EV in one night with little no no effort and just pugging people in if the core group is not there. So in 2-3 weeks at about 6-8h most of them will be in full rakatta. Then what? What is next. Ohh nothing.

Then there is PvP, the reason I play mmorpgs. At one time getting to Battle Master was a big deal you had to WANT it. You had to have some skill to get the badges and a little luck with others voting for you so you could get the extra valor. Now they are giving the points away. 1500 points for a win was the max I had ever heard of anyone getting now people are getting 2500+ for a loss. Who cares if my team wins or loses just keep on going.

Now I suspect that bioware did all of the above for the casual gamer, many who were not able to compete with the power gamers. The thing is they have dumbed down the game way to much. Is there any sense of accomplishment when you hit Battlemaster or you get that Rakatta piece? For most people the answer is no. In fact they EXPECT to get them, after all everyone else has them why shouldn't I is the thoght process.

So yeah 1.2 had better be something really special or I see a bunch of people leaving. Lightsabers or not there is no reason to stay in a game that has little to no challenge to it.

Rayth-Cho-Mai

OmegaMayhem
03.12.2012 , 02:04 PM | #2
I hope you understand that 'hardcore' gamers are the vast minority in this game... casual gamers making up the bulk of players. So yes, they are trying to appeal to the majority of their players.

You have to learn to deal with that fact. I am sorry you don't feel like a special snowflake anymore.

Andryah
03.12.2012 , 02:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Whtwulf View Post
So yeah 1.2 had better be something really special or I see a bunch of people leaving. Lightsabers or not there is no reason to stay in a game that has little to no challenge to it.
Maybe cut your losses, mitigate your upcoming disappointment, and unsub now??

Tip: amatuer proclomamations and threats serve no productive purpose in forum discussion, and they certanily do not deserve their own thread. You could have attached your concerns to any number of existing threads.

On the other hand, you admitted you were ranting..... so maybe that makes it all OK.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

mangarrage
03.12.2012 , 02:12 PM | #4
I do agree that its just giveaway valor now

But if you think it was a big deal to get BM I feel bad for you. All it is, is time
Its like saying getting to 50 is a big deal

Tsillah
03.12.2012 , 02:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Whtwulf View Post

Then there is PvP, the reason I play mmorpgs.
Rants are fine, but this just made me laugh. It's sad really, but hey, to each their own.

If I want to pvp, the last thing I want to play is a mmorpg. Give me a shooter any day. At least skill is more important than gear there.

I do agree it's too quick to get rakkata gear in this game. Not that I have it but I've only done a couple of ops in normal mode and am not in a hurry to rush myself out of things to do.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

XenonParsec
03.12.2012 , 02:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
If I want to pvp, the last thing I want to play is a mmorpg. Give me a shooter any day. At least skill is more important than gear there.
it's skill to exploit the MAV as a sniper elevator? What about IR scopes before their nerf, or flashlights? Noob tubing? Are pyros in 2fort skillful? What about AWP camping?

Every fps has issues, just of a different kind, every pvp has issues. Since the meshing of fps and persistence mechanics, there's "gear" there as well, and kitting up your character matters almost as much as an mmo.

Not trolling, just giving food for thought after reading your post.

As for 1.2, I think we all accept the patch is pretty much going to determine the fate of the game. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Draig
03.12.2012 , 02:19 PM | #7
If your playing 6-8 hours a day it doesn't make you any better than a casual necessarily, it just means you get stuff faster. There are some very fine casual players out there, very good skills.

You probably are better than most casual players, if nothing else just because of the amount you play, but if they make things easier to get it just means you get them all the more faster.

Such is the way these games have gone over the last X years. The vast majority of players are casuals. Keep them happy and you got a profit. Power gamer/Hardcore players just have to deal with that reality or find a different game.

Yes this game is way too easy, in my opinion, but so will every other MMO out there be similar, because that yields the most profit.

If you want a harder game go play a harder MMO, such as Darkfall or similar that does not cater so easily to casuals, but has a very small (comparative) player base as a result, or EvE, something like that.

Play your way and take your choices, move on or suck it up because that is the way every MMO and game is going to be since WOW got it's foot in the door.

PvP in this game and WOW always has been and always will be a bit of a joke by the way, it is not real PvP or even close to it, but it will do for the majority.

But you already knew this and just wanted to vent about it....right?

Whtwulf
03.12.2012 , 02:20 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Rants are fine, but this just made me laugh. It's sad really, but hey, to each their own.

I do agree it's too quick to get rakkata gear in this game. Not that I have it but I've only done a couple of ops in normal mode and am not in a hurry to rush myself out of things to do.
Yeah I would love to play FPS but haven't in years for some reason they make me motion sick which is odd since I never get that way anywhere else. So I have to take what I can get.

grucho
03.12.2012 , 02:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaMayhem View Post
I hope you understand that 'hardcore' gamers are the vast minority in this game... casual gamers making up the bulk of players. So yes, they are trying to appeal to the majority of their players.

You have to learn to deal with that fact. I am sorry you don't feel like a special snowflake anymore.
Minority or not, catering to hardcore benefits both groups. WoW used to do that and they had the best mmo back in vanilla and tbc. Now see how bad that game is when they started catering to casuals and bads, abomination of a game it used to be.

OmegaMayhem
03.12.2012 , 03:03 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by grucho View Post
Minority or not, catering to hardcore benefits both groups. WoW used to do that and they had the best mmo back in vanilla and tbc. Now see how bad that game is when they started catering to casuals and bads, abomination of a game it used to be.
How does catering to hardcores help everyone?

They are simply trying to appeal to the largest group of players... casuals.