Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

252/258 gear for "pure" PVPers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
252/258 gear for "pure" PVPers

Totemdancer
10.28.2018 , 11:25 PM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
He did say it...Abusing the refund system to basically bank wz comms by buying pvp weapons while leveling in lowbies pvp was definitely gaming the system to bypass the old 2k cap before it was raised sometime in 3.x
No, he didnít say anything about the weapons. I believe he meant pvpers only played lowbies pvp so they could get Comms for lvl 65 gear.
Quote:
Lowbie PvP did not get played for the sake of lowbie PvP by most players, but rather farmed for currency to easily equip a PvP playing character in good gear immediately upon capping level.
We are talking 4 years ago. No one was gaming the system in 3.x and definitely not in 4.x when Bioware even added tokens so you could store extra Comms and send them to Alts without using legacy gear.

Lhancelot
10.29.2018 , 05:15 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
No, he didnít say anything about the weapons. I believe he meant pvpers only played lowbies pvp so they could get Comms for lvl 65 gear.

We are talking 4 years ago. No one was gaming the system in 3.x and definitely not in 4.x when Bioware even added tokens so you could store extra Comms and send them to Alts without using legacy gear.
You right. When 3.0-4.0 was active, the gearing system was designed for alts and gearing was highly fluid it was quite an innovative system. No surprise because it took them years to get to that point.

For some reason some people (and BW apparently) think a design goal of a heavy gear grind is good for the game when the evidence shows clearly the game was most populated when alts were encouraged and gearing was not super grindy.

I can only deduce the design goal is to send players off the game as fast as possible because none of the proposed changes appeal the majority as the majority are speaking with what MMOs they log into nowadays and the constant merging/killing of servers indicates MMO gamers are not playing SWTOR.

Seriously, it's a beautiful game and has a lot of fun parts to it. I just don't think decisions are being made that are for the benefit of the game itself anymore.
If you care about the future of this game, please read this post by Joonbeams.
A "Ludicrous and Limited" Path to Tier 5 (a.k.a. the Case for Bolster to 258)
BW/EA, you will lose more players if you continue to punish PVP and alts.

Totemdancer
10.29.2018 , 09:46 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
You right. When 3.0-4.0 was active, the gearing system was designed for alts and gearing was highly fluid it was quite an innovative system. No surprise because it took them years to get to that point.

For some reason some people (and BW apparently) think a design goal of a heavy gear grind is good for the game when the evidence shows clearly the game was most populated when alts were encouraged and gearing was not super grindy.

I can only deduce the design goal is to send players off the game as fast as possible because none of the proposed changes appeal the majority as the majority are speaking with what MMOs they log into nowadays and the constant merging/killing of servers indicates MMO gamers are not playing SWTOR.

Seriously, it's a beautiful game and has a lot of fun parts to it. I just don't think decisions are being made that are for the benefit of the game itself anymore.
Around 3.x, Bioware said they recognised that gearing up for pvp was too slow and wanted pvp people to gear as fast as possible. Their words, not ours,
They then made changes to the system that allowed you to gear up in 1-2 weeks even if you hadnít collected any Comms in lowbies pvp.

Then they go and completely reverse that whole system and drive a majority of the pvp population away from the game.
Its completely idiotic to develop a system over 3 years through trial and error, get it completely right and perfect and 3 months later throw out that perfected system for one thatís terrible and drives players away,

It boggles the mind at what sort of logic that is or what they are thinking in that office. The old system is still the best system theyíve ever had in this game. The only people who didnít like it were the raiders coming into pvp with their epic raid gear (which always had better stats) and getting owned by people in pvp gear who had expertise.

Expertise wasnít hard to work out. But Bioware could have made it easy for those pve guys to understand.
1. Have a tutorial pop up explaining exactly how it works.
2. Highlight pve gear over the Bolster cap. ie highlight in red those pve pieces over 190.
3. Have an auto gear check reminder before the match starts if the wrong gear is equipped.

All the arguments I hear from pve guys complaining about 2 sets of gear make me laugh so hard. You could gear for pvp in 2 weeks. Compared to the gear grind now that takes months and months.
If I had to guess, those pve guys back then complained so loud because they felt they should be owning pvpers because they had better gear they had spent time grinding out in pve. So Bioware accommodated them. Now we have the same pve gear grinders telling everyone you donít need the best gear in pvp, but they are more than happy to use it against pvpers to get an advantage.

The more I think about it, the more it stinks of some pve influencers or Bioware staff feeling they should have a gear advantage and the Devs bowing to their wishes over the actual pvpers who play pvp.
Pve raiders have always had the Devs ear over pvpers. If the pve guys want it, they get priority. Now we have exactly the same thing about to happen again. The pve raiders will have the gearing advantage to go into pvp and have an advantage.

Kieth says heís a pvper, but I also know for a fact he is a NiM raider in a progression guild. So it begs the question, does Keith pvp much and does he even play competitively in pvp. If not, is that why we keep seeing the quality of ranked and regs being dimished through bad policies so that he has an easier time.

If he was a real pvper :
He would see what is happening in pvp.
He would understand we donít need a gear grind or gear advantages
He would see that lack of lowbies participation is eroding player skills
He would see the majority of good pvpers leaving the game in disgust
He would see that class balance is a joke
He would the DESYNC problem
He would see the bugs
He would see the cheating
He would see how bad the matchmaking system is
He would see.... etc etc etc.

Itís apparent heís not a real pvper because that list of problems isnít hard to fix, but weíve had them for the whole time Kieths been in charge and he keeps making them worse.
Heís a NiM Raider, first and foremost, not a pvper. Itís why this new gearing system is totally in favour of raiders and their love of gear grinding.

We need the old system of pvp gear back.