New social gears : Dead on Arrival?

Astridd

Daniel Erickson: Yes! Expect to see the first new gear coming in Game Update 1.2 and some dramatic changes to the social gear system just around the corner afterward.

-Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots.

-Community Q&A: Feb 24th 2012

I have no information or whatsoever about this 'dramatic' change, but it looks like the new social gears could be vastly inferior to crit-crafted competitors.

I think, whatever the change is, if a player paid roughly same amount of effort to obtain that social gear, then it should be granted a slot equivalent to the crit-crafted ones, or be abandoned for years, for the people who care about stats I mean.

Update 03.14.2012

You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.

Edited by Astridd

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no information or whatsoever about this 'dramatic' change, but it looks like the new social gears could be vastly inferior to crit-crafted competitors.

I think, whatever the change is, if a player paid roughly same amount of effort to obtain that social gear, then it should be granted a slot equivalent to the crit-crafted ones, or be abandoned for years, for the people who care about stats I mean.

So?

its vendor bought SOCIAL gear

not crafted.....not a drop...VENDOR BOUGHT

Social gear is not , should not, and will not be for those people who "care about stats". It's social gear.

And come 1.2 we can remove our set bonuses and put it into whatever we want, ie social gear. I'm already running around in the Slave Girl Top since I had a Rakata armoring + 2 Rakata mods from BM gear + 4 piece set bonus without the top.

Social gear should have an augment slot, I agree. If you've done so much grouping that you have Social rank x or y, then you deserve a damn augment slot in my opinion.

This patch will be useless in regards to customization and originality if you're forced to wear a specific armor anyway because it has an augment slot. I am NOT wearing Bounty Hunter armor ever again.

So?

its vendor bought SOCIAL gear

not crafted.....not a drop...VENDOR BOUGHT

And requires a social rank, ie something you've earned.

There's no reason why for example Social Rank X items shouldn't have augment slots. (Coming from an endgame PVEer/Battlemaster PVPer) So they can add "Social Rank X" versions of all the lower tiered Social gear, but Social Rank X gear has an augment slot.

Alternatively, BW can add social gear schematics to armormech/synthweaving.

Edited by Mrs_Murder

Social gear is not , should not, and will not be for those people who "care about stats". It's social gear.

Greetings, might I introduce a group of players who likes to socialize AND care about stats at the same time..

Well, if social gears can't be utilized, then might as well take away remaining slots so we have LESS options to consider and save some headaches. Don't get me wrong - I'll be happy if devs give every social designs to you crafters and empower the wonders of variety.

The whole point of orange gear was giving players more options to choose from. As long as social gear remain orange as developers envisioned, it should be competitive among the oranges.

Have you ever played TOR? In TOR they have this armour type called "Custom", marked by an orange outline. It means you can modify the armour to your exact specifications. It's a pretty good system. It means you can have the looks, and the stats, without having to compromise either.

They also have this tiered system called "Social Points", where you're encouraged to group up in order to gain access to exclusive custom gear. That's why it's called "social gear". Not because it's purely for cosmetics, but rather, because you need to be SOCIAL to get it.

Now, if the social gear was supposed to be as you suggest, that is to say - useless. (Say for instance, white outlined). Then yes it would be purely cosmetic. However, why on earth would such a system encourage players to bother grouping in multiplayer conversations? Why would they do that to get utterly pointless and throw-away gear they can't even use for this game's main activity - combat? That would make the social points system entirely irrelevant and have the opposite effect on players, no?

I get the feeling you just want to defend Bioware's designs and systems. But you don't seem to understand the system in question. I would love nothing more than for Bioware's design goal for social points come to full fruition, and adding augment slots to social gear would be the answer. And if you need +1 higher rank to unlock the augmented version (like say Social II for Bikini and Social III for Augmented Bikini) then that would be good in my opinion.

Edited by Ashyel

Do we really need higher social rank for its augment slots? I respectfully disagree.. In social gear's defense, gathering people and get them stick to the last conversations were a lot harder and challenging, than sitting at GTN spamming my crew until critical success.

And come 1.2 we can remove our set bonuses and put it into whatever we want, ie social gear. I'm already running around in the Slave Girl Top since I had a Rakata armoring + 2 Rakata mods from BM gear + 4 piece set bonus without the top.

Social gear should have an augment slot, I agree. If you've done so much grouping that you have Social rank x or y, then you deserve a damn augment slot in my opinion.

This patch will be useless in regards to customization and originality if you're forced to wear a specific armor anyway because it has an augment slot. I am NOT wearing Bounty Hunter armor ever again.

1. you dont seem to understand that just sticking a rakata mod into slave girl top does not make it equal to the high end stuff. its still LIGHT armor with a lower armor rating than if you had modded out a piece of heavy

2. social gear is stupid easy in this game to achieve. your ability to run black talon on normal mode every 5 minutes for 150 social points should not unlock the highest quality armor in the game

what you just asked for is raid quality items to be available for doing about 1 hours worth of work (a few black talon runs to achieve social 2 and you unlock social armors)

social gear is for role playing and goofing around, its easy to get and represents no effort at all

the only way i could ever see justifying having raid quality with social appearance is if they let you skin, than it would mean something to have best stats and look a certain way, youd have to achive the stat quality item AND the social quality item you wanted and than combine them

Yay, social gear!

Perhaps fix buggy social bars first?

how is it buggy? its always showing you how much you have (in total) and how much more you need to the next level

the only thing it isnt showing you is how much you need for max (X) until you reach 9th rank

this functions in much the same way as light/dark meter, its showing overall total. it simply doesnt function like normal levels or valor levels where the bar goes empty upon leveling because it caps at such a low amount (under 10,000 for every level of social in total)

Do we really need higher social rank for its augment slots? I respectfully disagree.. In social gear's defense, gathering people and get them stick to the last conversations were a lot harder and challenging, than sitting at GTN spamming my crew until critical success.

yea you should be rewarded for running the lowest level flash point in the game a few dozen times and that reward should be the best quality custom armor in the game (black talon takes 5 minutes and rewards the most social points)

do you know how stupid that sounds?

if social armor were suddenly the best customizable gear you will single handedly have removed all use or purpose to crafting or raiding in this game

everyone would do black talon for an hour and wear slave girl outfits because social armor is ridiculously easy to get compared to anything else in this game

the only way i could ever see justifying having raid quality with social appearance is if they let you skin, than it would mean something to have best stats and look a certain way, youd have to achive the stat quality item AND the social quality item you wanted and than combine them

Or just give us a seperate set of slots for social gear like AoC.

Or just give us a seperate set of slots for social gear like AoC.

which is just a different way to skin, id be fine with that

if you want to achieve a certain look than earn the look, but at the moment its just so easy to get those looks it shouldnt come with free power increases is my only point

had social items actually been difficult to get (on par with actually raiding or pvping to a high lvl) this would be a different disucssion. but as it is, rewarding 5 minute black talon runs with the best armor in the game is mind blowingly silly to even suggest which is what some of these people are asking for

Social rank is earned with lot's of work put into it; so it should be viable. They're working to make it viable end-game gear so we'll see once it's released!

I agree that we should just get wardrobe slots instead, it would make everything so much easier.

Edited by Jesira

Social rank is earned with lot's of work put into it; so it should be viable.

Yeah but it's NOT "lot's of work" to earn social ranks. It's easy.

"Lot's of work" would be raiding. Crafting is "tedious" (plus the "work" to get creds to keep crafting). Social rank? "Annoying" at worst. "Work"? No.

Much anger in him.

1. you dont seem to understand that just sticking a rakata mod into slave girl top does not make it equal to the high end stuff. its still LIGHT armor with a lower armor rating than if you had modded out a piece of heavy

And you don't seem to understand that in 1.2 they will introduce medium and heavy versions with some drastic changes, which I quoted in the original post in this very thread. Ouch.

2. social gear is stupid easy in this game to achieve. your ability to run black talon on normal mode every 5 minutes for 150 social points should not unlock the highest quality armor in the game

Or you could run quests all the way to 50 with your wives and hubbies and achieve it naturally along the way, but who am I to tell you which road to take? All I can say is it takes time, which is all that matters, whether you label it 'effort' or not.

yea you should be rewarded for running the lowest level flash point in the game a few dozen times and that reward should be the best quality custom armor in the game (black talon takes 5 minutes and rewards the most social points)

do you know how stupid that sounds?

Last time I checked social gears came completely EMPTY, without armorings, mods, enhs. It's just slots. And I don't think empty gears make you suddenly powerful... Do you really play this game? Hmm.

And of course what I suggested was an open slot for augments, NOT the slot with an augment INSIDE.

devinite no ... i realy don't want to see everyone running around in slave outfits in pvp ... ridicolous

Im level 50 and my BH wears the slave girl outfit all modded out and I more than hold my own in battlegrounds and on Illum. My companion wears the Imp dancer outfit modded out too so its quite the sight. It pisses off some but entertains more.

which is just a different way to skin, id be fine with that

if you want to achieve a certain look than earn the look, but at the moment its just so easy to get those looks it shouldnt come with free power increases is my only point

had social items actually been difficult to get (on par with actually raiding or pvping to a high lvl) this would be a different disucssion. but as it is, rewarding 5 minute black talon runs with the best armor in the game is mind blowingly silly to even suggest which is what some of these people are asking for

Moddable gear doesn't have to be hard to obtain because in order for them to be of any practical use they need mods that can only be obtained by other avenues such as PvP, crafting etc. My bounty hunter is using the moddable blasters she got way back when as quest rewards at level 11ish(or lower) which is much less work than getting social levels (IMO), but they are useless without mods in them that are around my level. If they don't have those mods, I might as well buy/craft one of my level.

Do they have to make the social gear purchasable from a vendor? They could just allow crafters to obtain recipes for gear requiring social rank X to equip. That way it would be possible to get a critically crafted version that would include an augment slot.