Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

mattgyver

I find myself wondering:

What is the atttude toward SWG at Bioware?

- Do they view it as a viable source of ideas for SWTOR?

OR

- Is there is an attitude of disdain for the late Star Wars sandbox and its fans?

Does anyone have any actual information about this? Opinions are good too but I really want to know if anyone has heard anything from those guys on this topic.

EDIT: If you came here just to bash SWG and the fact I started a thrad on it in the SWTOR forums, can you just start your own thread please.

Edited by mattgyver

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how few of the Devs for SWTOR were also Devs for SWG and that LA were involved with both games, that they have all the experience they need from that game to make this game the one they want to make.

I find myself wondering:

What is the atttude toward SWG at Bioware?

- Do they view it as a viable source of ideas for SWTOR?

OR

- Is there is an attitude of disdain for the late Star Wars sandbox and its fans?

Does anyone have any actual information about this? Opinions are good too but I really want to know if anyone has heard anything from those guys on this topic.

From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.

A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.

Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.

From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.

A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.

Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.

I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

This isn't an isolated incident. It's an issue that spans across the entire industry, not just SWTOR.

So long as theme park MMOs are banking, the trend isn't going anywhere...anytime soon.

I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

Umm...this is BioWare dude...

that was sony online entertainment...they SUCK

so no. There will NEVER be something like nge. :)

lol thank goodness

NGE was issued by LA. SOE makes good games, which is why people still play eq1. but when the owner of the franchise says **edit** where you eat or you wont eat any more, appearntly you gotta do it.

Good points, but I am thinking that there has been no info on this topic from those guys. I only ask because I keep seeing forum threads bringing up SWG and I wonder how it factors into:

Ongoing development of Space Game, Housing, World content, social activities, and Crafting

one can only hope that swg and soe are complete non-factors when it comes to swtor development. the only things swg offer are purely cosmetic.

** aside from JTL **

I don't agree with this, wouldn't even the mistakes be a source of learning. Granted there are other games to look at, but a portion of the population who are vocal (post) seem to use that game as the yardstick in many ways. Plus it's the same IP

SOE makes good games, which is why people still play eq1.

That has very little to do with SoE and much more to do with building on the foundation Verant built. The game took a dramatic hit after SoE took over from Verant similarly to the experience many people had with SWG/SoE take over.

In fact, SoE/EQ is now offering (after countless years of pleading from the fan base) Time Locked Progression Servers that, not surprisingly, are from the pre-SoE era.

SoE is garbage for MMOs.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

Good points, but I am thinking that there has been no info on this topic from those guys. I only ask because I keep seeing forum threads bringing up SWG and I wonder how it factors into:

Ongoing development of Space Game, Housing, World content, social activities, and Crafting

Even as a long-time SWG fan (was there on day 1, hated the NGE, etc, etc), I don't really understand why you're beating this dead horse?

This game is NOTHING like SWG, so far they have taken NOTHING (in terms of features of gameplay) from SWG, and frankly, given what "a failure" SWG is perceived as, they will most likely include NOTHING from SWG.

But you want a dev post because you're hoping that they'll turn this game (or elements thereof) into a game that, again, is perceived to be a failure? Or you want to hear exactly how much they are influenced by a game that's NOTHING like this one?

Let it go. BW isn't SOE, SWTOR isn't SWG and no matter what the devs here thought of it, it's dead and gone.

Let it go.

Edited by Bojanglez

The only thing adapted from the Galaxies days are the draconian forums which have always been a feature at Lucas Arts. Check out their forums sometime. Slightest infractions can get you banned from everything, including the games themselves.

I don't think he is saying it is like SWG lol. What I think he is saying is do games like SWG influence other games. "LA is/was involved in both games... Im just curious if they think about SWG and its mechanics while making this game?" That's not what he said but its a question... I think the OP was just making more of a generalized statement of curiosity.

But I could be completely wrong?

This is a BW game, so the focus is on story and companions; it's what they're good at and what they know. That they are branching out to MMOs is probably more about EA, than BW.

I do think that to appeal to the casual gamer (which seems to be their ideal), they should implement some sort of ship decorating. I adored the house decorating in EQ2 - I didn't play SWG but I've heard great things about their housing system.

I also think a Lotro style cosmetic system would appeal to the market they are trying to attract.

I don't think he is saying it is like SWG lol. What I think he is saying is do games like SWG influence other games. "LA is/was involved in both games... Im just curious if they think about SWG and its mechanics while making this game?" That's not what he said but its a question... I think the OP was just making more of a generalized statement of curiosity.

But I could be completely wrong?

No, i think you're completely right, it just seems pointless dead-horse bashing. I took it that he's asking what the current devs thought of SWG and how it might have influenced them. The answer to part two seems pretty apparent (ie, Not at all) and part one seems redundant.

And really, does anyone believe ex-SWG dev will post here with anything about the old game?

Meh, sorry if I appear to be harsh but, again, even as a devoted SWG player, these threads seem to be so redundant and pointless.

SWG didnt do well because of the way SOE treated its paying customers. Not because of lack of content.

I understand the avoidance of SWG on large part but discarding the entire game as whole is akin to throwing out the baby along with the bath water.

so many good ideas....lost forever

Well they should learn from a few things, for instance;

-SWG had much better community; everyone gathered at the cantina's to get buffs and hang out. Bounty hunters would be hiding in the crowd and take out targets out of the blue. Social hang outs are KEY for MMO's.

- SWG had much better open world pvp. There would always be fights going on in coronet, to anchorhead, to naboo. Why? Because it was friggen fun. And because if you didnt want to you didnt have to. We didn't need a crazy system. People just liked to pvp in that game.

- SWG had collectible rare drop items. These rare items would drop with unique stats, DOT's, and other legendary stuff from regular mobs. Lots of people would spend hours out looking and farming mobs for these drops. One drop would make you rich or give you a major leg up in PVP.

- SWG had real crafting that mattered. Crafted gear to get unique things like jet packs and ultra rare vehicles. To get the awesome crafted gear you needed rare drops too, but you didnt have to raid to do it. You could farm world epic mobs or duo elite mobs.

- SWG had player bounties. Nuff said. I've seen the polls here. 90% of the players want them. They made for a huge amount of fun and adrenaline pumping action in swg.

Bottom line SWTOR is great but it would be stupid for them to not take on some of the great stuff SWG did right before NGE.

Edited by Makktenn

Umm...this is BioWare dude...

that was sony online entertainment...they SUCK

so no. There will NEVER be something like nge. :)

Few things to notice:

1. SOE isn't the only culprit for NGE, LA had its word on it. Much more than you may think.
  2. Many devs from SWG are now with BioWare.

Comments?

Well they should learn from a few things, for instance;

-SWG had <stuff>

It also had a vastly inferior subscriber base that SWTOR has blown out of the water in less than a month.

Unless a sizable number of their customers decide that not having Galaxies features is a real gamebreaker for their subscriptions I really don't think you're going to see many of these things, and some of them (the community thing) is more down to the people in the community than it is the devs.

And never, ever, ever, ever think of the forum and its attached 'polls' or 'discussion threads' to be majority opinion. The people on the forums are a vocal minority.