Why I think TOR is not at the same level as WoW was

AlphaAlpaca

I would like to start off by telling you that I am a fan of both games. I played wow for 2 years and am just over a month in tor with a Sith juggernaut lvl 50 and a BH merc lvl 32.

- PLEASE NOTE -

I joined Wow about a year after WOTLK was released and quit after I had completed and got most gear from ICC Heroic mode, so when I joined there was already a plethora of content in wow to keep me busy.

So before you bash on me for saying that Wow has had more time to develop this stuff, I know they did. I'm simply pitching out some ideas that I have for the developers and the general community to think about.

With that said, I can't help shake the feeling that TOR seems rather empty. The leveling process was tons of fun don't get me wrong. I loved the companions mechanism which made questing much more interesting not to mention the massive amounts of voice acting involved.

However once I had reached lvl 50, done most of the HM FPs, the game lacks in content, depth and incentive to continue, though I do understand that this game is only 2 months old from release date anyway.

Wow feels much deeper and of more content for several reasons. I will list them in order of significance (personal opinion)

1 Class and choice -

Even before WOTLK, Wow has a total of 3 tank classes (druid, warr, pally), 4 healer classes (druid, pally, priest, shaman) and most importantly because it makes up most of the player base...9 dps classes (excluding DKs cause i'm refering to pre WOTLK). Not to mention 2 dps trees for druids, warriors, priests and shaman, 3 for mages, warlocks, rogues, hunters...

Thats 3+4+9 = 16 playable "styles" as you will.

TOR has 4 playable class races with 2 advanced choices and 3 trees each.

there are 3 tank classes, (SW/JG, BH/TP, SI/JC), 3 healing classes, (BH/TP, OP/SM, SI/JC) and since every advanced class can choose a dps route, that's 8 dps classes to choose from.

Thats 3+3+8 = 14 playable "styles".

These numbers may seem similar, but when it comes down to the class itself, TOR is sorely lacking at 4 against WOW's 9. Even when you want to look at TOR with 8, the basics are still there for the advanced classes.

Say I'm a BH power tech whos DPSing. A big portion of the skills you'll use are the same as a Mercenary. It feels similar and thats why I find TOR lacking in depth.

In short, the lack of variety and diversity in playable classes severely limits what you can see or do in the game.

2 PVP -

This is not a suggestion on how the PVP arenas can be improved in TOR as this thread is a comparison and an opinion as to why I think WOW has more depth than TOR.

I love the styles of PVP TOR has, especially huttball. However once again Wow takes the winner with variety (thus depth) with PVP. customizable banners, huge castle sieges with vehicular battles, an arena battle that can go up to 5v5...

Though the developers don't need to copy everything Wow does, some more innovation wouldn't hurt in this area. Especially when PVE is restricted by weekly/daily limitations. Stuff like pod racing, or a 1v1 dps race while on a small platform over some lava (like the anakin v obi wan battle in SW3) would help expand the universe so to speak.

3 continuous geographical setting -

What I mean by this is that Wow felt larger than TOR. This is because Wow is one continuous continent while TOR is split up into multiple planets which each have only one single theme. Though some planets should only have one theme (such as Tatooine or Hoth), It simply doesn't feel as open world as WoW did.

With the way TOR is set up, I don't really know of any solutions to this feeling of disjointedness. It is however something which does bother me a little yet continuously like a little fly buzzing about in the back of someone's room.

4 playable humanoid races -

There are only 4 body types for each gender and only 4 (might be wrong) playable races for each class. With no distinctive physical attributes other than the 4 body types which are available for every race, everyone pretty much looks the same.

There are such a variety of races in Wow each with their own physical attributes that a group looks diverse and full of difference. Taurens are massive imposing beasts, gnomes and dwarves are little critters who can pack a big punch, Trolls and orcs are hunch backs who speak funnily...

humans, cyborgs, zabracks, chiss and all other playable races in TOR are... unfortunately pretty much the same. Sure they have different hair styles or skin colour, but those are easily concealed by the armor you wear.

I would also like to have a choice of speaking language in TOR. It seems absurd but since the developers have already made such an effort of having alien languages recorded into the game, why not let the players choose which language they want to speak in based on which race they choose? Little things like these help diverse the playable universe and maybe even make dialogue a little quirkier.

It is something which continuously baffles me since the SW universe has so many different races and species that this problem should easily be remedied.

5 lack of visual armor variety -

If you didn't agree with me with the above 4 points, surely you agree with me on this one. I find it disappointing that end game PVP and PVE gear have the same look only with different colour. As if the developers thought that was sufficient enough, some of them look poorly designed. the Sith Warrior PVE gear does not look like a sith at all. It looks like some sort of cyborg Rakghoul. Something I would not want to be since I chose to be a sith; not a rakghoul with a lightsaber.

These are just some reasons why I think Wow still has more depth in terms of immersion than TOR. Once again I do understand and realize that Blizzard has had much more time in developing and creating what Wow can offer for it's subscribers, but I think that these points should be taken into consideration by Bioware if they want to really overtake Wow and all it's glory. after all no matter how downward it's going right now, indisputably WoW has been on the throne of MMORPG for well over half a decade if not the full 8 years it has been online.

TLDR version -

1 - Wow has more choice of classes than TOR. with only 4 base classes compared to Wow's 9 this department sorely lacks.

2 - The variety of what you can do when PvPing lacks in TOR in comparison to WoW. Would like to see arena etc

3 - the galaxy being composed of planets each with a single theme or identity contributes to a feeling of disjointedness as compared to how Wow is set up as a continuous piece of continent. Don't know how this feeling can be avoided though seeing the way the game is set up.

4 - Lack of playable races and body types (4 for each I believe) makes everyone feel and look the same. I'm sure they will change this in the future, but hey i'm just pitching the idea out there and seeing what you guys bounce back to me.

5 - end game armor for PVP and PVE sorely lacks design. change in color I don't think is enough to distinguish a set of Columi from Tionese armor...

Please feel free to comment and give your opinions or even add to some of my points.

Thanks,

Cownchicken

Edited by AlphaAlpaca

TLDR version,

I liked some Of the variety in WoW and would like it here. Such things include but not limited to, appearance variety and more classes, some nonhuman races would be nice.

Anyway reading that was a complete waste of time. Everyone already wants that stuff.

The way people downplay things that others say when they don't like it, on this forum is incredible. His post is legitimate, and pretty well written and isn't derogatory to the game at all, he simply wants a few features added that most of us do.

Why the crazies feel they have to attack is beyond me, but then it's probably beyond most rational people. The race point I can really get behind, I expected good race choices from a Star Wars game. It's up to US to feel into a character, not watching their lips move on screen and being told were into it.

I can get just as emotionally attached to a Kel'Dor as I can a Sith Pureblood, so on so forth. As to the poster commenting about WoW's race being re-skinned humans? You're fundamentally wrong as they each have unique skeletons built for them. A human skeleton is different than a night elf skeleton, a night elf skeleton is vastly different from a Tauren skeleton, and I don't mean the ones they leave when they die. The ones their textures are placed on.

When said poster (SamuraBob_FL) explained you could be only versions of humans, or a furry I can only believe that he's intimidated by the proper points brought up about the races, and is trying to convince himself that TOR doesn't have cookie cutter species choices.

Here's hoping TOR improves further, and opens up races we currently do not have.

Edited by VenthiosLestaran

Please stop comparing a game that has had a full development cycle to one thats just beginning theirs.

Why do you feel compelled to post stuff like this. If I don't like a game I just stop playing it, uninstall it and move onto something else.

Because this game is not being launched in 2004. The races he speaks of, are all in 2004. This was released at the start of 2012. They have the races in game, they simply do not allow them to be playable because they feel we wouldn't be able to relate to them. It's more to the fact that making helmets that fit non human heads is hard.

Why are you comparing TOR to WotLK?

I guess I really do need a TLDR version. I wasn't comparing it to WOTLK. I said that I had joined wow during WOTLK so there was already lots of content in it, however when comparing them I had tried to ignore what WOTLK offered. such as DKs as another playable class.

When said poster (SamuraBob_FL) explained you could be only versions of humans, or a furry I can only believe that he's intimidated by the proper points brought up about the races, and is trying to convince himself that TOR doesn't have cookie cutter species choices.

A community who provides constructive criticism is what moves a game forward. Not one who blindly praises or has blind faith in the developers for whatever they do. I'm not trying to say i'm smarter than everyone else in the forum, but I would like to see more people pitching out their ideas and how they see TOR can expand in the future.

Afterall, these types of games and how they change is based on what the player base asks for.

Edited by AlphaAlpaca

- PLEASE NOTE -

I joined Wow about a year after WOTLK was released and quit after I had completed and got most gear from ICC Heroic mode, so when I joined there was already a plethora of content in wow to keep me busy.

When wow came out, it had almost nothing except the lvl content and some dungeons. I still had tons of fun, and that fun I also had at Tor. I am honest with you when I say that vanilla wow is unbeaten for me, it was and most likely always will be the best MMO that I played.

The atmosphere was brilliant, the story line fantastic and the content which was added like raids or ranking system - just fit the genre MMO perfectly.

Wow feels much deeper and of more content for several reasons. I will list them in order of significance (personal opinion)

Here I dont agree. I was bored at cata after 2 weeks. Yes you hear right, 2 weeks!

1 Class and choice -

The problem is, at wow every class feels like the other. A shadowpriest does feel like a mage or a warlock. A boomkin does feel like a shaman or fire mage etc.

The variety at wow does only exist in numbers, but not in the class abilities. Again you lack the knowledge that I have as an vanilla player. At vanilla no class was like the other, that was great - but with the beginn of TBC and especially today it just does feel always the same, no matter what dps, heal or tank class you pick.

I did not play all classes yet at Tor, but I did at wow and so far I had more variety than at the whole wow game.

2 PVP -

I love the styles of PVP TOR has, especially huttball. However once again Wow takes the winner with variety (thus depth) with PVP. customizable banners, huge castle sieges with vehicular battles, an arena battle that can go up to 5v5...

Good pvp can be done at 1 single map. Look at wow, ok you didnt play vanilla but we did Warsong 10x a day and more and I most likely played Warsong 1000x in my wow career and I still have fun there. All these new maps that came with TBC; WOTLK or Cata are crap.

They dont work for pvp, they suck and are boring. Warsong is still the only viable map for me, after they have broken AV and AB with their patches.

3 continuous geographical setting -

What I mean by this is that Wow felt larger than TOR. This is because Wow is one continuous continent while TOR is split up into multiple planets which each have only one single theme. Though some planets should only have one theme (such as Tatooine or Hoth), It simply doesn't feel as open world as WoW did.

I actually see Tor as a very big world, I mean I have to fly with my ship if I want to go somewhere. I see whole planets.

4 playable humanoid races -

There are only 4 body types for each gender and only 4 (might be wrong) playable races for each class. With no distinctive physical attributes other than the 4 body types which are available for every race, everyone pretty much looks the same.

I agree, it could be more - at the beta there was more. But wow is also very limited there, AoC is awesome - you should try this. There you can completely create a unique look.

5 lack of visual armor variety -

Well at wow the armors also dont change. Every mage looks the same, every Warlock etc. At Tor you can atleast look different by using moddable gear. But yes there should be way more models, I agree.

You made absolutely no sense when you said that WoW has more content then SWTOR, this game's every class missions is different and over 200 hours of gametime of story not to mention every one of them feels so rich because the mission givers are all voice overs and cinematic. This game feels much richer and full of interesting twists in the story and makes you feel like your actually on a journey just like in the movies. You actually understand why your "questing" unlike WoW quests where you don't have a clue what it is your doing.

I would like to start off by telling you that I am a fan of both games. I played wow for 2 years and am just over a month in tor with a Sith juggernaut lvl 50 and a BH merc lvl 32.

- PLEASE NOTE -

So before you bash on me for saying that Wow has had more time to develop this stuff, I know they did. I'm simply pitching out some ideas that I have for the developers and the general community to think about.

With that said, I can't help shake the feeling that TOR seems rather empty. The leveling process was tons of fun don't get me wrong. I loved the companions mechanism which made questing much more interesting not to mention the massive amounts of voice acting involved.

However once I had reached lvl 50, done most of the HM FPs, the game lacks in content, depth and incentive to continue, though I do understand that this game is only 2 months old from release date anyway.

1 Class and choice -

Even before WOTLK, Wow has a total of 3 tank classes (druid, warr, pally), 4 healer classes (druid, pally, priest, shaman) and most importantly because it makes up most of the player base...9 dps classes (excluding DKs cause i'm refering to pre WOTLK). Not to mention 2 dps trees for druids, warriors, priests and shaman, 3 for mages, warlocks, rogues, hunters...

Thats 3+4+9 = 16 playable "styles" as you will.

TOR has 4 playable class races with 2 advanced choices and 3 trees each.

there are 3 tank classes, (SW/JG, BH/TP, SI/JC), 3 healing classes, (BH/TP, OP/SM, SI/JC) and since every advanced class can choose a dps route, that's 8 dps classes to choose from.

Thats 3+3+8 = 14 playable "styles".

These numbers may seem similar, but when it comes down to the class itself, TOR is sorely lacking at 4 against WOW's 9. Even when you want to look at TOR with 8, the basics are still there for the advanced classes.

Say I'm a BH power tech whos DPSing. A big portion of the skills you'll use are the same as a Mercenary. It feels similar and thats why I find TOR lacking in depth.

In short, the lack of variety and diversity in playable classes severely limits what you can see or

Thanks,

Cownchicken

WoW launched with 1 tank and 1 healer, warrior and priest and even those classes were unbalanced.

Edited by Zyanzor

WoW launched with 1 tank and 1 healer, warrior and priest and even those classes were unbalanced.

Well to defend wow here, it had a 4th class at vanilla which was the support class.

Pally, Warlock and to some degree a druid were these classes. Its a shame they didnt keep that system.

Well to defend wow here, it had a 4th class at vanilla which was the support class.

Pally, Warlock and to some degree a druid were these classes. Its a shame they didnt keep that system.

Wrong! Remember back then there was only 2 talent trees. Pally had Holy(a complete joke and unbalanced compared to Priest), and Ret(another complete joke for dps), no one played Paladins. Druid because they were so unbalanced, you couldn't heal as. Resto Druid because they were mana hogs and warlocks? *** do warlocks have to do with tanking or healing?

Again, the only 2 classes that were semi usable in endgame back in vanilla to Tank or Heal were Priest and Warriors. You obviously didn't play back in vanilla.

Blizzard is STILL trying to balance the classes in WoW with no success. That's why Arena will never go MLG.

Edited by Zyanzor