Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing characters that aren't your gender

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Playing characters that aren't your gender

pwhdavey
08.26.2014 , 11:05 PM | #1
I was wondering how many people do this? I'm thinking of making a Vaverone Zare/Darth Alluress lookalike (I'm a guy). The thought of having a whole set of characters all the same gender seems boring. But then people will mistakenly believe I'm a female when doing groups and warzones etc. Do lots of people play both genders?

xNYROx
08.26.2014 , 11:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by pwhdavey View Post
I was wondering how many people do this? I'm thinking of making a Vaverone Zare/Darth Alluress lookalike (I'm a guy). The thought of having a whole set of characters all the same gender seems boring. But then people will mistakenly believe I'm a female when doing groups and warzones etc. Do lots of people play both genders?
I am pretty sure it is common for people to do this honestly. If people "assume" you are a female it is obviously their mistake. Not that it really matters though, no one should care what gender a person really is on the other side of the screen as long as they work well as a team member in FPs , OPs and such.

Spetulhu
08.27.2014 , 03:21 AM | #3
It's pretty common that people have characters of both genders. And in my experience it's also very uncommon that someone assumes the player is of the same gender as the character. If anything people assume the player is male until proven wrong.

cs_zoltan
08.27.2014 , 09:08 AM | #4
One of the rules of the internet: Everyone is male until porven female
The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
Kja, Kejann, Snsa, Kyr, Lama Maelin
The Ebon Hawk <Aisthesis>
Medin

xNYROx
08.27.2014 , 11:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Spetulhu View Post
It's pretty common that people have characters of both genders. And in my experience it's also very uncommon that someone assumes the player is of the same gender as the character. If anything people assume the player is male until proven wrong.
^ This is actually a bad frame of mind because it can border on harassment with "Let me see your pic" or "Get on voice chat and prove you are a girl" comments which are harassment BUT, this is a very true and wise statement from someone who has probably been gaming for a long time.

Darth__Reaver
08.28.2014 , 07:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
That's how I am. Always assume everyone is male I play with but i have met female thu mumble chat... So that's the only time I really know

Darth_Krushya
08.28.2014 , 08:35 PM | #7
I've mentioned this in another reply but I am a male and I have both both and female characters: 10 males and 6 females. My nephew plays also and has male and female characters, just not as many as I do. I have a friend who does not play this game, but when he plays any game with customizable characters, they are always females and have Japanese names.

The point is: It is not weird or uncommon to do this. I will also inform players who ask, that I am a male rolling a female toon. Cheers!
THE ETYA LEGACY: GOEN-TOG ETYA sen, SUNAI-ELG ETYA sge, DONAE'THEN-KYAL ETYA scoun, RAH'NORAI-ELG ETYA com, KRUSHYA-WYN'IKE ETYA sorc, TARAR-BEESE ETYA mar, STROI'YEN-FORGG ETYA oper, THES'SHEL-EPSE ETYA pwrtch, KHET'CHYA-YUUB ETYA grd, SOGLAH-DYME ETYA shd, KOHMEN-TOG ETYA gunsl, IKEN-FORGG ETYA vangrd, RU'THAH-DEY'IYM ETYA asin, DE'THEL-SOHG ETYA jug, IYSE'SHEL-EPSE ETYA merc, GUN'NAH-SOHG ETYA snipe

Nickious
08.28.2014 , 09:18 PM | #8
Oddly enough, the one female I have out of the 8 different classes that are male is the one that is the one in the best gear.

Nydus
09.08.2014 , 10:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
Ha Ha Ha! I hadn't heard that one before. That should be on par with Godwin's Law about online political debates.

More seriously, I generally play male characters in RPGs or any game where there is a choice. I guess I'm not really a good RPer so the characters are generally similar to the way I look in real life. My Empire and Republic main, for example, are identical to each other and are equivalent classes (Inquisitor vs. Consular).

That being said, this is a game about experiencing many different stories and building a legacy, so I have female characters. The one I play the most is my operative and it was designed by a special lady friend. I continue to play it because... the Imperial Agent has one of the most kick-*** stories and I enjoy the significantly different gameplay style.

I'm pretty open about being a dude but I have to say, in all my years of MMOs and RPGing, I had never heard of ERPing until I started playing that character! I don't see anything wrong with continuing to play that character but it/she certainly gets a different reaction from other players than my male characters. I don't even dress her provocatively!

P.S. I think female players playing as guys is probably much more common, probably to avoid what I'm describing above.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

DSpectre
09.08.2014 , 11:29 AM | #10
I'm fully aware of *most* people's process of "male unless otherwise", but as a FEMALE gamer myself, i play male characters here and there. Most of the time i don't mainly because I don't look the like of armor/clothing on male avatars in SWTOR (it's a matter of what would I wear if I was *this* character).

But yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. Both male and female gamers play the opposite gender characters. At least a vast majority.

Incomming troll reply: Everyone is male till proven otherwise? How about no one is male or female until proven otherwise. More fair, yes?
"Who I am is not important, my message is."
―Revan