Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some dark side options don't seem "bad" or "evil".

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Some dark side options don't seem "bad" or "evil".

NightEngine
06.25.2014 , 02:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
That choice is not so much about whether it's ok to leave a douche you find yourself married to as it is about whether people have the right to self-determination.
One of the most important things in the world is self-determination - until and unless it hurts other people.
"My craft is death."
Darth Rubric, Sith Marauder

Darkelefantos
06.25.2014 , 02:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
But that's precisely the OPPOSITE of what's going on.

Spoiler
You see, that's what comes of never playing a Rep character dark side, you don't learn that the soldiers need it because the refugee says they don't.

In the refugees' defense, the military can requisition new medicine while the refugees have no other way of getting it than the military which denies them access. No way they could afford, at any rate.

And yes, the woman outright blackmails you but siding with her awards LS points. Why? I guess because the people she does it for are innocents and mostly children? Who knows, I didn't come up with this.

Edit:
@NightEngine: The only person she hurts with this is her "mate", but it is so that she doesn't get hurt in return. Also, why do you have to apply your "harm principle" to everything?
This place has been an empty wasteland for a long time. No longer.

"In a world without gold, we might've been heroes!"

Shadokitty
06.25.2014 , 09:18 PM | #23
What about encouraging the boy to go home to his parents that love him on Ord Mantell being the DS choice?

DeltaBos
06.25.2014 , 09:46 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Actually, this whole thread reminds me of a similar thread during the early days of the game where one guy was very (and I mean VERY) upset that the game was "forcing" him to do the wrong thing and go against his own morals to get light side points.
The problem? That guy on coruscant who's wife left him and you can either force her to go back or you can tell him that she's left him.
Yeah... this guy actually said it was "wrong" of her to leave him because a wife had a duty to stay with her husband no matter how bad it got.
(and this guy in the game, you find out that he only looks at her as a posession and a trophy and was extremely jealous.
That guy's needs to get with 21 century. Even traditionally the husband and wife BOTH have a duty to each other. They're supposed to care, respect, support, and all together supplement each other. In this situation that Nautolan dude failed to hold up his responsibility so Ria was justified. We know the Nautolan dude viewed Ria as a trophy so, failing to respect her and hold up his end, her leaving him obviously constitutes a reasonable decision.
Query: Is there someone that you need killed master?

Jandi
06.26.2014 , 02:23 PM | #25
For the 100th time...

LS/DS isn't a morality scale. It's about altruism vs greed, self-sacrifice vs selfishness. a quick, clean death vs cruelty.

If however someone doesn't understand the difference then that's for them to figure out.

OddballEasyEight
06.27.2014 , 03:39 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by NightEngine View Post
Honestly, I can see the justification for her leaving being wrong. Once again, the harm principle comes into play. If her leaving does more harm to others than her remaining, then yeah it would be 'wrong'.

I have a sneaking suspicion that quest is trying to highlight a social issue, however, so logic isn't exactly at the core of it.
How would her leaving him harm others really?
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

OddballEasyEight
06.27.2014 , 03:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
But that's precisely the OPPOSITE of what's going on.

Spoiler
The military can requisition new medicine.
AND the soldiers were active participants in the war, the refugees are innocent bystanders.

I don't remember EXACTLY what they say, but IIRC no soldiers die if you give the medicine to the refugees.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

rantboi
06.27.2014 , 04:33 AM | #28
What about the guy who turns into a rakghoul in kaon flashpoint? For empire the darkside choice is watch him change first and then fight him and light is to just shoot him which makes sense, but then for republic it's the opposite

Miffypiffy
06.28.2014 , 05:16 AM | #29
Impressions from a newb...

My first character, a Sith Inquisitor, chose the Dark Path. Briliant, and no matter, the Dark Path, 'right' or 'wrong', it feels ok, taken into consideration that the SI is propably planning and schemeing ahead of her self, like in a game of chess. In the moment the awkardness of choosing Dark instead of Light, turns out, in the end it makes sense.

Then I started a Chiss Imperial Sniper-Agent, Light Sided. It is all of the sudden more challenging defending her actions taken. She might be a loyal servant to the Empire, but juggling her independency and kindness, to be able to outplay both Siths and Imperial rigidness alike, and still stay in the game withouth being taken outside and executed in a ditch... ...Yes, it is challenging indeed. She does not like Sith, she does not like the Republic hippie traitors, she wants a career of cloak and skullduggery.
I fear she'll end up hated and hunted by all factions in the end. Sith, Empire, Republic, Hutts and whatnot. Poor Chiss girl.

Darkelefantos
06.28.2014 , 05:23 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by rantboi View Post
What about the guy who turns into a rakghoul in kaon flashpoint? For empire the darkside choice is watch him change first and then fight him and light is to just shoot him which makes sense, but then for republic it's the opposite
The "good" guys for the Republic don't do mercy killing, that's all.
This place has been an empty wasteland for a long time. No longer.

"In a world without gold, we might've been heroes!"